Calling Experts - Xcaret with a toddler

GoofyDisney

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Howdy! We are considering doing Xcaret when we take the Halloween cruise. We have a 3 yr old girl. We are big snorkelers. We take turns snorkeling while one of us stays on the beach with our DD.
According to the materials, the boat arrives at Cozumel at 10 am. The excursion leaves at 9:45. (which I assume they work out so I am not worried about the time thing.)

However, the excursion last 7 hours or so. WHich would put us back at the ship at 6 pm.

We would miss our dinner seating. So after we get dressed we would have to try and find something to eat.

I read they provide lunch at Xcaret, but how about when it rolls into the evening. Can we bring snacks, or are there snacks offered or for purchase? After we return and change, maybe we order room service and go see the show?

And this sunscreen they give you...is it enough protection for a toddler?

Is there transportation back if we want to leave earlier than the group leaves?

And I was looking at a map...is Xcaret actually in Cancun and not in Cozumel?

Is this a good excursion to do with a toddler? It looks like an amazing family adventure, but would love some advice from those who have been. Thanks bunches!

P.S. After reading the Perez family's trip report regarding Xcaret...I am not sure what I want to do now. It sounded like it was not a very good experience. The boat ride over makes me extremely suspicious.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/disneycruise/TripReportIndex.htm

This might be a Dave answer.....is there a way to tell which excursions are on the mainland of Couzmel? Most snorkeling excursions don't allow for 3 yr olds anyway, so maybe we should just find a good snorkeling beach on Cozumel and then do the shopping and Hard Rock. Any idea how far apart the shops and the beach are from each other? Is it like St Thomas where the shopping was really the only thing to do with a little one?

Xcaret is on the mainland. You must take a bus to get there and back and the ferry back to Cozumel. This could get a little long for a young one. The underground rivers are neat to swim/snorkel, but probably not for toddlers. Not much to see for snorkelers in the undergournd rivers, but I enjoyed the experience. The water was cold! They have some animals/birds to see that a toddler would enjoy and some small beach areas. They sell food at the park. Much of the park is in the shade, so sunscreen wasn't needed. I would recommend it for older kids and adults.

Chankanaab, on Cozumel, sounds like a better and cheaper option. It is supposed to be a short cab ride ($7 or $8) from the boat docks. They have a sea lion show, a place for snorkelers, and a small beach. You could make your own hours there, and not have to spend all day. We are going there with our smaller kids next trip. Afterwards, we will catch a cab to town, shop, then cab back to the boat. I think we will save Xcaret for when they are older.

Xcaret is about an hour or so south of Cancun. You would not get transportation to return to the ship if you wanted to return early. I don't believe that this would be a good excursion to take a toddler on.

I would say in my opinion, that even though it is very beautiful there, and the snorkeling is good that you should do Chanaakab. It is closer, less expensive, you can do this on your own, and you could leave when you are ready to leave.

the sunscreen they provide is environmentally safe so it won't harm the animal or plant life...

Thank you guys for your great responses.

I saw that the excursions to Chanaakab either weren't for little ones or didn't include snorkeling. So...is this one you would do on your own and not through an excursion?

Frommers has a great little write up about it. SOunds like it would be much better and have some of the same things as Xcaret.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/cozumel/0114022105.html

any more thoughts or opinions?

yes, you can do this on your own. There is snorkeling. Cost is 10 bucks to enter, but if i remember right kids ten and under is free. Very easy to get to by taxi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter