Calling All Teachers-help Needed

rkwells

DIS Veteran
Please help, I need your brutally honest opinions, viewpoints and advice…moms and dads please don’t debate or criticize replies. I really want to open my mind and see things from a teacher point of view…Here’s the deal I’ll try to keep it simple…

Let me describe my soon to be 11 (ADD)
• Short attention span
• Forgetful
• Easily distracted
• Often has difficulty with organizational skills
• Does not appear to be listening
• Fails to follow through with school assignments, chores and activities
• Often appears to be lazy, disinterested and fails to put forth mental effort

Teacher last school year was “Mother Theresa”…I didn’t truly have a full appreciation of her abilities and efforts until this year. She is seasoned, companionate…Put on this earth to be a teacher. Up to now every teacher he has had recognized his problem and worked with it…even when I was in complete denial about labeling my son “ADD”. I now realize how fortunate we have been!

Cut to this year…Very young new teacher, 2nd year of teaching, non-commutative so far, with the exception of being real happy to send home late homework notices to me…lets just say I’m not real happy. At this point I don’t think she has even a slight interest in adjusting her one size fits all approach to meet my son’s needs. (Next week we are going into a meeting to get a 504 rolling). I think she feels he is a big boy and is choosing not to play along, just being lazy. And this is why I am writing this. I know in my head that everyone has to start somewhere and if I can play my cards right this could be a golden learning opportunity for the teacher, my child and our family.

How can I reach this teacher and not come off as confrontational, condescending or a know it all?

I would love to hear a young teacher’s perspective. How much training or advice does a teacher get for kids that fall outside of the teaching “norm”?

I need your brutally honest opinions and viewpoints…moms and dads please don’t debate or criticize replies. I really want to open my mind and see things from a teacher point of view…Here’s the deal I’ll try to keep it simple…

Let me describe my soon to be 11 (ADD)
• Short attention span
• Forgetful
• Easily distracted
• Often has difficulty with organizational skills
• Does not appear to be listening
• Fails to follow through with school assignments, chores and activities
• Often appears to be lazy, disinterested and fails to put forth mental effort

Teacher last school year was “Mother Theresa”…I didn’t truly have a full appreciation of her abilities and efforts until this year. She is seasoned, companionate…Put on this earth to be a teacher. Up to now every teacher he has had recognized his problem and worked with it…even when I was in complete denial about labeling my son “ADD”.

Cut to this year…Very young new teacher, 2nd year of teaching, non-commutative so far, with the exception of being real happy to send home late homework notices to me…lets just say I’m not real happy. At this point I don’t think she has even a slight interest in adjusting her one size fits all approach to meet my son’s needs. (Next week we are going into a meeting to get a 504 rolling). I think she feels he is a big boy and is choosing not to play along, just being lazy. And this is why I am writing this. I know in my head that everyone has to start somewhere and if I can play my cards right this could be a golden learning opportunity for the teacher, my child and our family.

How can I reach this teacher and not come off as confrontational, condescending or a know it all?

I would love to hear a young teacher’s perspective. How much training or advice does a teacher get for kids that fall outside of the teaching “norm”?

Honestly, a LOT of general ed. teacher prep programs do not teach you strategies to deal with children of varying abilities. I know this was the case when I was getting my undergrad in early childhood ed. I didn't start receiving the intensive instruction surrounding disabilities until I began my master's in special ed. Personally, I know a 25 year old who said all children who have learning disabilites should be in their own room, and that she doesn't want them in her classroom. :eek: So yeah, that kind of thinking is still prevalent today. I am in no way saying this is your case with your DS's teacher. though.

I would just open a line of communication with her, describe your son and tell her about successful strategies that have been used in the past. Did you let the teacher know about your concerns at the beginning of the year so she had a head's up? Has he ever been referred for any type of testing? I would just be open and honest and request a conference. Don't try to be defensive (I know it will be hard) but also listen to her POV. And it may not be that she doesn't have an interest in adjusting to your son's needs. She just may not fully know what to do for him yet. I would try to help her out with that as much as you can. You're the parent and know your child the best. It's also a great idea to get the 504 plan rolling if he doesn't qualify for an IEP. (Oh, and many reg educators don't know very much about either of these unless they deal with them on a daily basis). Good luck! :thumbsup2

Well, I am currently in my 3rd year of college to become an elementary teacher and I know that I have already been taught tons and tons of different methods, activities, ways of assessment, ways to encourage, etc to reach all types of students so I'm not sure as to why the teacher isn't applying what she should have learned:confused3 I guess other colleges may have different programs, though?

And from what I've already been taught, communication is key and the teacher should've contacted you as soon as she noticed your child was having problems in her class. Obviously, teachers have a lot of different students to work with, but she should at least be attempting to accomodate your child and try new things until she finds something that works. I would suggest a conference. If she's not willing to try to work with your child, I might suggest switching classes.

Did you let the teacher know about your concerns at the beginning of the year so she had a head's up? Has he ever been referred for any type of testing?

Thank you for the reply...My son went to a private multi-age school with non-traditional teaching methods until grade 3...I took someone's advice to not prejudice the next teacher and let them develop their own relationship with my son on it's own grounds. At that point I was still in the "ADD" is more of a personality then a "disorder" thing and under no circumstaces would I ever medicate so what does it matter phase.

In a traditional setting for grade 4 (new school) it finally started to sink in that his issues were not going away and were really starting to effect his sense of self and ability to learn...I sought the help of his pediatrician, had him evaluated and tried meds...something I swore I would never do and still did not feel OK about. On the meds it was amazing. He functioned on a high level in the classroom. Problem is he had severe stomach cramping, felt jittery and had wild mood swings by the evening. So I gave up on the meds by the end of the year and decided to wait and see what the next grade would bring.

Well, here we are, I again chose to not bring these issues to the current teacher's attention right off the bat (we have discussed it now)...I now know this was a big mistake and it will never happen again (I will definitely be an advocate for him as early a possibe). I think the reality and full acceptence of what we are facing has finally completly sunk in...I have an appt. scheduled with his Dr. to discuss the possibility of meds again. I can't stand seeing my boy this way, he really hates school now and he is just not the same kid he was when he started a few years ago...I am trying to stay positive and find some solutions to turn this around!

If she's not willing to try to work with your child, I might suggest switching classes.

This has crossed my mind a 100 times...If things don't change drastically after the 504 it's a new teacher or Home School and let me tell ya, I am not a big advocate of home school. I just don't know what else to do in the best interest of my childs "whole" self. I can tell by your post you are going to be a great educator! Thank you for your reply!!

I teach 5th grade and deal with children on many different levels. There are several things that might be coming in to play here. Some schools have strict curriculum due to NCLB. Some schools tell teachers what to teach and how to teach it and the teacher is not allowed to deviate.

Second, at 11 he needs to know that there are consequences for not completing his assignments. How can he perform, if he isn't being held accountable.

Also, I know you said he had issues with the meds, have you tried others? There are several different ones and sometimes you need to try them out to see what works with your child. Since you have seen the improvement with meds, you know that he is capable of achieving great things in school.

I once had a student with severe ADHD. When he was not on meds, it was a nighmare ...for me, him ,and the other kids. He would get upset because he knew he couldn't control himself. The other kids didn't want anything to do with him because he was "acting weird". I expended all my energy and used every strategy known to man to keep him focused and learning. But I often felt that when that was the case, I couldn't get to the other 25-30 kids in my room since I needed to be with him. When he was on his meds, it was a wonderful room. Meds are not the answer for every child. But for some they are like little miracles in a bottle.

SO I guess what I am asking, now that he is getting older, and the academics require much more attention since they are harder, please look into everything you can do to HELP the teacher....at least find out why she is doing what she is doing...she may have a valid reason.

Can you give more detail on the problems? You mentioned late homework notices. Is he having behavior problems as well or failing? If the problem is just not doing homework, the question is why is he not doing it. Does he not know what is for homework, forgetting it at school, or just not doing it (telling you that he has no homework)? As a teacher, that would change my reaction to it.

There are some teachers who do not feel comfortable giving accommodations to kids who are not "supposed" to get them. Since he is not 504 or Special Ed, he is labeled as a regular kid. Some teachers do have their 1 size fits all thought that you mentioned. I think this idea is changing a lot though.

As a mom of an ADHD 11 yo who was recently re-diagnosed as Aspergers, and I'm a special ed teacher candidate, the key to working with this teacher is to use empathy. Listen to her concerns and be prepared to fight for your son. Know what accomodations you want and use words like "what can we do to make this better".

In 2nd grade we had an awesome teacher, in 3rd-not so much. She didn't do well with kids who didn't fit in the box as we like to say. We got him an Intervention plan and I got a personal apology from the principal for placing him in her classroom. 4th grade, Mother Theresa...ffw to 6th...a whole new fight. I'm gearing up for battle myself.

As for meds, don't give up. There are many different ones out there and I hope you can find one that works for him w/o side effects.

I was an Elementary Education undergrad major and we only received one course in Special Education. This is my 8th year in the classroom and the changes this teacher must make come from a combination of experience and having a great support system at school or mentorship from other teachers. If anything is going to work for your child, the teacher must be willing to be flexible and make sure she keeps you actively involved.

I teach in an urban district and we have many kids that have the characteristics that you described, many with much deeper issues. Each child is different so the things that work for them will be different too.

Short attention span: I let the kids move around the room as needed. I have a basket of clipboards that they can clip their work to and do it in another area of the room. A different location sometimes gets them back on task.

I also have one child that I use an hourglass timer with. When I need to keep him on task, I'll go to his desk, flip the timer and tell him that by the time the sand runs out he should have #1 and #2 done. Not only does it work, but the other kids want one too.

Forgetful: I have the kid pick a buddy (I must agree that it is someone responsible) to remind them what they need to bring home for hw, what they should have on their desk right now.

I also use multi pocket folders for some kids. I buy the ones that have the plastic binding, but if you have one of the long arm staplers you can make your own by putting a folder inside a folder and stapling them at the seam. I label each pocket (to keep home, to be returned to school, one for each subject) It stays in the corner of their desk all day and because they can see it, they are much more likely to use it. The buddy also gets one so they can use it together.

I make sure I get to know my students well enough that I know what kinds of things motivate them. I have a student that loves football, so I bought a couple of packs of football cards. When he has a good week, he gets to pick a pack.

Do you know if the teacher will be present at the 504 meeting? Our meetings usually consist of the VP, classroom teacher, child study member, parent, and another teacher that the child has contact with (specials teacher) If so, speak up and ask someone what kinds of things can be done in the classroom. Maybe the teacher just doesn't know what to do.

Hi!
Public school elem. teacher here...I'll be short, & to the point:

I'm glad you're willing to discuss meds. again....after all, if he had some other illness, you would not deny him meds. You just need to keep trying different ones until you find the one that works best for him.

Here's some pixiedust: your way. :)

Definitely get the ball rolling on the 504 plan as soon as possible. I highly recommend that you highly recommend that that particular teacher be at the meeting. It is important that she realize what accomidations need to be made.

If she does not attend the meeting, make sure that she gets a copy of his accomidations. Believe it or not, many teachers go all year with students with 504 plans and they have no idea about the plans. They were never notified.

Good luck!

Can you give more detail on the problems? You mentioned late homework notices. Is he having behavior problems as well or failing? If the problem is just not doing homework, the question is why is he not doing it. Does he not know what is for homework, forgetting it at school, or just not doing it (telling you that he has no homework)? As a teacher, that would change my reaction to it.

No misbehavior issues other then just zoning out and not staying focused and engaged in the classroom.
The schools process (I think quite common everywhere) is to keep a daily work log on the board. It is the students responsibility to copy this down in their planner, check it off if completed, circle if it needs to be finished at home. The student then needs to make sure that the necessary books, folders, worksheets etc. get into their backpack to make it home.

Its a great system that can teach some great organizational skills for life and can get the job done. In DS's case he is supposed to go the the teacher and have it signed and then his father and I sign as well. (FYI, if he does not initiate going to the teacher she does not follow up ) I don't know why my son has such difficulty with this.

I am a SAHM who picks my son up from school. I was just checking his planner when he got into the car to make sure it was filled out and he had all his stuff...sound good right??:sad2: He wasn't filling it out correctly so things weren't making it home.

Then, the homework he does complete doesn't always get turned in...he can't find it???:confused3

So I have gotten to the point that I am going into the classroom at the end of the day myself, making sure his planner is filled out correctly, he has his stuff and last nights homework was turned in...
This is a typical senario. Teacher: He said he couldn't find his homework. Me to DS: It was in your backpack, did you check there? Not there, Ok then check your locker...Oh look, there it is!!:cool1: The teacher knows DS's issues, why didn't she just do that??? Again, this another reason I want a teachers POV, is this fair of me to ask??

Also, I had an "off the record" talk with his wonderful teacher from last year regarding her strategies with DS and what worked best. She initiated the idea that it would be reasonble and fair of me to ask DS's teacher to check the planner and make sure he has his backpack packed in study hall which is the last hour of the day...this is not instruction time. I passed these suggestions on to DS's teacher via an email today.

Here is the email...I really tried to set a coopertive, apprecitive tone:

Miss Teacher,

I once heard a quip regarding teaching that went something like "people need to appreciate that teachers have 25+ kids in their classroom all wanting something, all needing demands, all needing management while the teacher is trying to be everywhere to get all of them contained...it's like stomping ants. They get to do this from the early morning until late afternoon, then they get to go home and plan how they are going to come back and do it again the next day, but at least we don't pay them a respectable salary." I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult this must be, and would also like to say thank you for all the effort you are making with DS to help him reach his full potential. We will do anything we can at home to support you in your efforts. A gifted dedicated teacher is truly a blessing!

I have been doing a lot of soul searching in regards to the upcoming 504 meeting and trying to come up with some ideas to help DS meet his personal challenges. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or thoughts that you may come up with as well, especially in regards to what we can do at home to support the school’s efforts.

With DS’s type of ADD hyperactivity is not an issue. His type is called Inattentive ADD. Children with mainly the Inattentive type of ADD tend to daydream and have difficulty focusing. This type of ADD causes the following symptoms for DS:

Short attention span
Forgetful
Easily distracted
Often has difficulty with organizational skills
Does not appear to be listening
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
Fails to give close attention to details, or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork or other activities
Fails to follow through with school assignments, chores and activities
Often appears to be lazy, disinterested and fails to put forth mental effort

For starters I have a big favor to ask of you...how would you feel about using study hall each day to assist DS in making sure his planner is filled out properly, and double checking to see that he has put everything he needs to complete his daily unfinished work in his backpack?

He is really giving his best effort to this task and still manages to forget a "key" something on an almost daily basis. The goal will be to get him to the point of doing this solo eventually, but at this time it's just not possible.

Here are a few more things that have worked well for him in the past:

-Small group testing-questions read to DS orally.
-Seating. Not keeping him away from the group but making sure he is within the teacher’s site and surrounded with well-behaved classmates. Seat him away from distractions, such as doors, windows, high-traffic areas etc. Thank you for already implementing this!
-Non-Verbal cues to regain DS’s attention (touch on shoulder or desk, using his name conversationally during lecture…also relationship building with the result being DS wanting to please his teacher.)

Also, FYI, we are again back to exploring the idea of medication, but this is a something that I really wrestle with. The only reason I am open to it at all is I have really seen DS’s self esteem plummet over the last couple of years. He is a very different child then he used to be. The last time we tried meds it made a world of difference in his academic performance, but after trying 2 different meds (adderall and focalin) at various dosages, he still had to deal with stomach cramping, shaky legs and was having serious mood issues by the end of the day so I threw in the towel. I will keep you informed of any changes in this area.

Again, thank you for helping our family deal with these issues, rkwells
END OF EMAIL

I don't have any natural diplomatic skills so I tried really hard to not be offensive in this email...I hope I succeeded...I really want what's best for my son and to have a good relationship with his teacher.

As far as consequeces for his actions his true love in life is video games which he can't play if his homework doesn't get turned in.

Sorry so long...thanks for your input!

On the meds it was amazing. He functioned on a high level in the classroom. Problem is he had severe stomach cramping, felt jittery and had wild mood swings by the evening. So I gave up on the meds by the end of the year and decided to wait and see what the next grade would bring.
My DS 10 was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade and we didn't medicate till 2nd. We are currently on the 5th medication -- Daytrana patch. The first 5 meds mostly worked well for him (the 3rd one didn't) but the side effects were troubling. It is a matter of trial and error to find what works best.

...Well, here we are, I again chose to not bring these issues to the current teacher's attention right off the bat (we have discussed it now)...I now know this was a big mistake and it will never happen again (I will definitely be an advocate for him as early a possibe)....
Don't beat yourself up. You're more normal than not. You can't imagine how many times I've finally called the parent to discuss inappropriate behavior only to be told something like, "I've been waiting for you to call. I guess he (it's usually a he) does need to take his medicine again this year." :headache: I understand the logic - Maybe, just maybe, he's matured enough over the summer that he's finally out-grown this "stage." It just doesn't work that way. Look at it this way: A child that needs medicine to help control his behavior and help him focus BUYS HIM TIME to consider whether an action is appropriate before he does it or helps him choose to focus. Nothing wrong with that if he needs it. (Of course, there's the whole overdiagnosis issue.)

Regarding training for differences in the classroom, other teachers tell me that I have an instinct for how to work with these kids. Thus, I get lots of practice helping them. ;) It's lucky that I do because my undergrad training consisted of one DAY for "nontraditional learners."

Does this school district use scripted lessons? My friend left her district because she hated not being able to alter a lesson to fit individual needs. I suspect it's more a new teacher issue. She probably is overwhelmed; most teachers are the first few years. Teaching is the only career I know where you are expected to know everything about your job and hit the ground running from the first day. It's ok to ask to have him transferred, just stress that you want a teacher that can teach to his learning style, not that the teacher is a lousy teacher. :thumbsup2

My DS 10 was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade and we didn't medicate till 2nd. We are currently on the 5th medication -- Daytrana patch. The first 5 meds mostly worked well for him (the 3rd one didn't) but the side effects were troubling. It is a matter of trial and error to find what works best.

I just read about Daytrana for the first time yesterday...what has your experience been like so far?? Thanks!

I teach 5th grade and deal with children on many different levels. There are several things that might be coming in to play here. Some schools have strict curriculum due to NCLB. Some schools tell teachers what to teach and how to teach it and the teacher is not allowed to deviate.

Second, at 11 he needs to know that there are consequences for not completing his assignments. How can he perform, if he isn't being held accountable.

Also, I know you said he had issues with the meds, have you tried others? There are several different ones and sometimes you need to try them out to see what works with your child. Since you have seen the improvement with meds, you know that he is capable of achieving great things in school.

I once had a student with severe ADHD. When he was not on meds, it was a nighmare ...for me, him ,and the other kids. He would get upset because he knew he couldn't control himself. The other kids didn't want anything to do with him because he was "acting weird". I expended all my energy and used every strategy known to man to keep him focused and learning. But I often felt that when that was the case, I couldn't get to the other 25-30 kids in my room since I needed to be with him. When he was on his meds, it was a wonderful room. Meds are not the answer for every child. But for some they are like little miracles in a bottle.

SO I guess what I am asking, now that he is getting older, and the academics require much more attention since they are harder, please look into everything you can do to HELP the teacher....at least find out why she is doing what she is doing...she may have a valid reason.

I am a sped teacher and I totally agree with you. There are lots of disablitiies out there but the teacher is there to prepare your child for life. If you child does not get a handle on this now then what happens when he is an adult and has a job and cannot fulfill responsiblites. Don't let his ADD become a crutch. I am NOT saying do not try and work with the teacher etc but there needs to be SOME accountabilty on the side of the student. If the most he can be responsible for is 5 out of 10 problems then he needs to DO 5 out of 10 problems. IF the most he can do is just put a name on a paper then the expectation should be the best name on the paper possible.

I had a student who is now in a higher grade His parents made all sort of excuses for him. Told me he could not read ( I found out he COULD) and now this child is in a much higher grade. He is still telling the teacher he cannot read, has ADD and needs to have easier books. He tells her he does not have to do his work because he is on a IEP.
Well we cannot keep reading " Nat sat on a mat" forever! The point is the parents gave the child a way out and he is taking it to the hilt. This student was capable of doing MUCH more than he will admit. I do not know your case but it always makes me upset when they set the bar too low for a student just because he has a disability.
By the way ADD is not considered a disability as far as the speical needs dept is concerned unless it presents cocommonent with one of the 10 federally recognized disabilites.

I am a sped teacher and I totally agree with you. There are lots of disablitiies out there but the teacher is there to prepare your child for life. If you child does not get a handle on this now then what happens when he is an adult and has a job and cannot fulfill responsiblites. Don't let his ADD become a crutch. I am NOT saying do not try and work with the teacher etc but there needs to be SOME accountabilty on the side of the student. If the most he can be responsible for is 5 out of 10 problems then he needs to DO 5 out of 10 problems. IF the most he can do is just put a name on a paper then the expectation should be the best name on the paper possible

This verbalizes one of my biggest fears. I am his mother and I still can not clearly define what is do-able for DS and what does he still truly NEED assistence with. My goal with both my kids is for them to be independent, self reliant and happy as adults. I am all too well aware that DS HAS got to learn to do these things on his own. To allow this situation to stunt him would be complete failure on my part as a parent...Where is that manual he was supposed to come with??;)

Here's a great "handbook" ADHD Book: Living Right Now! by Martin L., M.D. Kutscher. I bought it on Amazon.com. I've read alot of books on adhd and this one has a lot of info and in a great presentation. There is even a section on suggestions for teachers.

My ds was supposed to write down assigments and have the teacher sign it. He was to bring the agenda to the teacher. He could never remember to ask her. Common problem.........

OP, am I right in thinking that your child was on meds for ADD last school year, but has since stopped taking them?

I am a sped teacher and I totally agree with you. There are lots of disablitiies out there but the teacher is there to prepare your child for life. If you child does not get a handle on this now then what happens when he is an adult and has a job and cannot fulfill responsiblites. Don't let his ADD become a crutch. I am NOT saying do not try and work with the teacher etc but there needs to be SOME accountabilty on the side of the student. If the most he can be responsible for is 5 out of 10 problems then he needs to DO 5 out of 10 problems. IF the most he can do is just put a name on a paper then the expectation should be the best name on the paper possible.

I had a student who is now in a higher grade His parents made all sort of excuses for him. Told me he could not read ( I found out he COULD) and now this child is in a much higher grade. He is still telling the teacher he cannot read, has ADD and needs to have easier books. He tells her he does not have to do his work because he is on a IEP.
Well we cannot keep reading " Nat sat on a mat" forever! The point is the parents gave the child a way out and he is taking it to the hilt. This student was capable of doing MUCH more than he will admit. I do not know your case but it always makes me upset when they set the bar too low for a student just because he has a disability.
By the way ADD is not considered a disability as far as the speical needs dept is concerned unless it presents cocommonent with one of the 10 federally recognized disabilites.

GOD BLESS YOUR ATTITUDE!!!

i just sat through the most insane appointment with our local public school after my ds (10, adhd/poor fine motor skills) went through all the tests to see if he qualified for any special services. as i suspected, he did not qualify for any services. i never anticipated though, having a 'professional' (occupational therapist) reccommend that rather than seeking private assistance (in areas she admitted he could improve markedly with help), we should 'demand' ada accommodations. here's a kid who admittedly has a hard time with reading and writing, but his teachers without any kind of iep have reccognized it and adjusted his classwork such that while he does'nt have to do as much as his classmates, it has to be at the same level of performance-who we are being told should be told 'you don't have to do it':eek: :scared1: we were told to 'demand' that a 4th grader be given either a full time scribe to not only take notes, but DO ALL HIS WRITTEN CLASS WORK:scared1: or be provided voice reccognition software and a computer so that he 'never has to write again':scared1: :headache: :headache: :mad:
when i asked how this would prepare him to be a functioning adult i was told 'oh, don't worry-employers have to accommodate people'. beyond discussing the falicies with that comment, i had to ask 'well, what about when he's an adult if he has to write down a phone message, or directions to a hospital, or a note for his children-how will he handle that?'-i was actualy told 'oh, that's not something we consider':confused3 :eek: :confused3 .

i'm all for accommodations, i went so far as a supervisor of adults that i often reccognized needs and address them through accommodations before it became a formal request-but i cannot believe what i can only assume is a somewhat common attitude among some professionals and parents that the entire world and life will accommodate around disabling issues that CAN be addressed and (as in my son's case) to a great deal lessened through corrective action, and some perserverance.

btw op-daytrana has been a godsend to my son. much more regulated dosage, no 'kick in' down time in the morning (we put on the patch before he wakes up) or 'big crash' in the afternoon (since it releases as long as 12 hours he gets home and does his homework, we remove it and with the 2 hour period it takes to leave his system-he and we are in a much more comfortable and un-harried situation). if your ds does go on it p.m. me and i can give you the name of a 'wipe' product we use that removes the adhesive easily and helps with the minor irritation many wearers experience.

OP, am I right in thinking that your child was on meds for ADD last school year, but has since stopped taking them?

Yes, about 1/2 way thorugh last school year we tried meds for the 1st time. Adderall was a miracle drug for his ADD but caused him some serious stomach pain as well as nausea along with jitteryness and WILD mood swings in the evening. The dossage was adjusted down and although the symptoms were not as severe they were still present.

We then tried Focalin, as I remember the mood swings were much better but my son still had stomach pain and nausea.

Because of the side effects I gave up on the meds for the school year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter