Calling all Teachers!! Advice Needed

snickerharley

better be movin' along
I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's degree in English. I am currently living in Indiana and would like to become a teacher. I have looked on-line and have not had much luck finding reliable information on how to get certified and licensed. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I am a recent graduate with a Bachelor's degree in English. I am currently living in Indiana and would like to become a teacher. I have looked on-line and have not had much luck finding reliable information on how to get certified and licensed. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Try here for a start:

http://www.teacher-world.com/certification/indiana-steps.html

Have you looked at teaching programs at any of your local universities? Without an additional degree in education (usually a 1-year program), I doubt you'll be able to get a job as a teacher. Some places do allow you to substitute teach without it, but the pay tends to be really low.

I did my certification through an online education agency, iteachtexas.com (not much help to you in Indiana, but I'm sure there are programs out there). Had no problem getting a job without an actual degree in education because the degree I had was in the subject I was pursuing. Call your local districts and ask if they can recommend a certification program. Some districts like certain programs, as they feel that the training is more fully developed.

Your state government's department of education will have the steps to certification. The official source is the best.

I think this is the one for Indiana.

A word of warning...the teaching field is very saturated. Universities willingly take your money knowing the job market is very tight. If you can relocate, you'll have better luck finding a job. There are a lot of teacher grads who are unemployed and that was way before the economic slowdown.

A word of warning...the teaching field is very saturated. Universities willingly take your money knowing the job market is very tight. If you can relocate, you'll have better luck finding a job. There are a lot of teacher grads who are unemployed and that was way before the economic slowdown.

Universities willing take your money even though they know the market is tight for teachers? WTH? It's not the University's job to allow or disallow people studying for a degree based upon the potential job market. Otherwise, it would be forbidden to get a degree in philosophy or political science...:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

To the OP - check with your state dept of Ed and see if they have a program for degreed people to obtain a teaching license, rather than having to go back to school to get an Ed degree.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter