Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

Ok, here are my top 10 tips for "newbies": 1. Smile! Seriously.... have fun and be amazed at yourself! :thumbsup2 2. Trust your training. 3. Get on the bus/monorail early. Hurry up and wait is the name of the RunDisney game. 4. Pre-hydrate, but don't over-hydrate during the race. 5. Keep to your planned pace/intervals, at least for the first 2/3 of the race. You will be tempted to start out too fast thanks to adrenaline and other princesses, resist and "Run Your Own Race". 6. Remember "the relentless pursuit of forward momentum" just keep putting one foot in front of the other. 7. Don't wait in too many long character lines if you are close on pace. Remember you can also get pictures with characters AFTER the race, and with your medal! 8. Pack your running gear in your carry-on luggage. 9. If you tend to be a salty sweater, consider having a spectator bring pretzels or tortilla chips to the finish line for you (or in your gear checked bag). 10. Don't be afraid to chat with other runners before the race, or during! Especially those whose costumes make you smile.

Thank you!! Awesome tips!! I love #6. I play roller derby and attended a bootcamp by one of the greats. Her mantra was, if I keep moving my feet, I'll be f@$&#%g fine. ;) I love telling myself that when I run. :)

Got my 10 in this morning!!!! I'm so so happy. I know it's pretty close to race time and I should be tapering, but I've had so much trouble getting the distance in. With so much of this being a mental game, I really felt the need to get to at least 10 before next Sunday and decided this morning that I'd just go for it. The plan for the rest of this week is an easier maintenance run/walk on Wednesday, then fly to Orlando on Thursday with park time on Friday and Saturday. No additional scheduled runs. Just fun!! :goodvibes

Who else ended up with the race retreat for the PHM?

I did! And I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone. My friend may or may not be with me, so I'll be the chick with the yellow sparkle skirt and light blue headband with a big silly grin on her face. :)

As long as there is nail bed under it, you should be fine if it comes off. You could even trim it down if you need to. Maybe just buff the edge so it's smooth and doesn't catch on socks. No worries! I consider all of my bruised or lost toenails a battle wound shared by many runners. :lmao:

Count me as one of them. I've got a bruised toenail with the bruise now finally about half gone after several months, and I've worried about this very thing. Maybe I should pack some tape just to be safe....?

We've got a new winter storm warning here today - starting with snow, then ending with freezing rain. But you know what? I don't care. Get me to Orlando!!!!! :cool1:

Got my 10 in this morning!!!! I'm so so happy. I know it's pretty close to race time and I should be tapering, but I've had so much trouble getting the distance in. With so much of this being a mental game, I really felt the need to get to at least 10 before next Sunday and decided this morning that I'd just go for it. The plan for the rest of this week is an easier maintenance run/walk on Wednesday, then fly to Orlando on Thursday with park time on Friday and Saturday. No additional scheduled runs. Just fun!! :goodvibes

I totally understand. Congrats on the run. Now you have a positive energy to take into the race and that is just as important as an extra day or two of rest.

I did! And I'm so looking forward to meeting everyone. My friend may or may not be with me, so I'll be the chick with the yellow sparkle skirt and light blue headband with a big silly grin on her face. :)

Count me as one of them. I've got a bruised toenail with the bruise now finally about half gone after several months, and I've worried about this very thing. Maybe I should pack some tape just to be safe....?

We've got a new winter storm warning here today - starting with snow, then ending with freezing rain. But you know what? I don't care. Get me to Orlando!!!!! :cool1:

:cheer2: Congrats!!! I know you've been working hard for this weekend. Now it's time to enjoy the "vacation" part. Way to go!

We've got more snow on the way too. I'm so. over. it.

Ok, here are my top 10 tips for "newbies": 1. Smile! Seriously.... have fun and be amazed at yourself! :thumbsup2 2. Trust your training. 3. Get on the bus/monorail early. Hurry up and wait is the name of the RunDisney game. 4. Pre-hydrate, but don't over-hydrate during the race. 5. Keep to your planned pace/intervals, at least for the first 2/3 of the race. You will be tempted to start out too fast thanks to adrenaline and other princesses, resist and "Run Your Own Race". 6. Remember "the relentless pursuit of forward momentum" just keep putting one foot in front of the other. 7. Don't wait in too many long character lines if you are close on pace. Remember you can also get pictures with characters AFTER the race, and with your medal! 8. Pack your running gear in your carry-on luggage. 9. If you tend to be a salty sweater, consider having a spectator bring pretzels or tortilla chips to the finish line for you (or in your gear checked bag). 10. Don't be afraid to chat with other runners before the race, or during! Especially those whose costumes make you smile.
Thank you so much!!!! You are awesome for sharing!!!

Ok, here are my top 10 tips for "newbies":

1. Smile!

Seriously.... have fun and be amazed at yourself! :thumbsup2

2. Trust your training.
3. Get on the bus/monorail early. Hurry up and wait is the name of the RunDisney game.
4. Pre-hydrate, but don't over-hydrate during the race.
5. Keep to your planned pace/intervals, at least for the first 2/3 of the race. You will be tempted to start out too fast thanks to adrenaline and other princesses, resist and "Run Your Own Race".
6. Remember "the relentless pursuit of forward momentum" just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
7. Don't wait in too many long character lines if you are close on pace. Remember you can also get pictures with characters AFTER the race, and with your medal!
8. Pack your running gear in your carry-on luggage.
9. If you tend to be a salty sweater, consider having a spectator bring pretzels or tortilla chips to the finish line for you (or in your gear checked bag).
10. Don't be afraid to chat with other runners before the race, or during! Especially those whose costumes make you smile.

Are all of the characters on the course available for pictures after the race? I have only a couple of pictures that I want, and if they're available after the fact that would be great! How long do the worst picture lines get , approximately?

Are all of the characters on the course available for pictures after the race? I have only a couple of pictures that I want, and if they're available after the fact that would be great! How long do the worst picture lines get , approximately?

Honestly I have no idea if all of the characters from the course would be found in the parks or character meals. I'm sure that there are unique hard-to-find ones. So if there is one you REALLY want or is unique, I would definitely get them during the race. Last November after wine & dine, we planned on the breakfast in the castle for the morning after the race and I wore my medal and got some princess pics then. I usually stop for 1 or 2 pics per race (usually whatever I think will make my son happy), but I didn't stop for any at Tink. The lines were CRAZY long, at least from my corral B (12mm) perspective, and I knew I could get the ones he would like during the day - lightning and mater. But that's my opinion, I have trouble stopping for long periods of time in a distance race. If I stop this time, you will see me jogging in place for sure!

Hopefully a more experienced runner Princess will pop along and give more specific character pic info. My advice is just don't jeopardize getting swept just for pictures. I mean yes, they are all princess or villains or pirates and it's cool, but if you are in corral Z and running a 15 min mile, don't spend 10 min waiting for each picture. There's still something to be said for taking pics in the parks the day after or later in the day of the race, when you have your medal on and your hair washed! lol! Keep an eye on your watch, that's all. And don't panic like I did if it's your first race and you see a character and you've built up a good cushion and you see guys on bikes. Chances are if you have a 30+ min buffer, those guys are Medical guys, not sweepers! :rotfl:

I've seen some good how long are the character line blogs out there, check out longhorns' virtual blog hop and I think you might find some answers.

Quick question for those doing more than one race. I'm doing all 3 and I'm trying to decide if I should bring more than one pair of sneakers. What is everyone else doing?
I have my newish Brooks and I'll be wearing those for the 1/2 and probably the 10k but I'm not sure if I should wear them for the 5k too or bring my asics. I did most of my long training in the Brooks and they feel really good but I've never done 3 days in a row in them.

On another note, I hate packing! Lol especially when I have the running element as well. We pack pretty light, doing carry ons only which is usually no biggie, but this is challenging.

Just wanted to add two more "tips":

11. Don't wear any foolish shoes before or after your race. For me, I switch from one set of running shoes to another for both the days before and after. I need the ankle support. I learned this the hard way from putting on a stupid pair of heels the day after my first wine & dine and ended up twisting my ankle (despite the fact that I wear heels daily). Thankfully it was after the race not before. I don't wear flip flops either like many do. I don't wear them in real life, so I don't wear them after races.

12. Don't worry about what you look like to others or even in race photos. First, no one else is thinking about your beet red face. They are thinking, "OMG am I going to die before I get to mile 13?" or something like that. And you will be so stinkin' proud of yourself for your accomplishment that you will love every sweaty picture of yourself with a character, or with random other runners around you, that you will not care that you look like wet dog running after a mickey ice cream bar. :thumbsup2

Quick question for those doing more than one race. I'm doing all 3 and I'm trying to decide if I should bring more than one pair of sneakers. What is everyone else doing?
I have my newish Brooks and I'll be wearing those for the 1/2 and probably the 10k but I'm not sure if I should wear them for the 5k too or bring my asics. I did most of my long training in the Brooks and they feel really good but I've never done 3 days in a row in them.

On another note, I hate packing! Lol especially when I have the running element as well. We pack pretty light, doing carry ons only which is usually no biggie, but this is challenging.

I am packing two and wearing one. The pair I wear are a style I used to wear for running so it can be a back up if need be. I will wear one pair for the 5k and other for 10 and half. My fear would be rain and getting one to wet to dry out. I, too, need to pack. I keep looking at weather to see what I want to take.
Three pairs of shoes is more than I pack for multi weeks adventure with my DH…we wear one pair of hikers and take a pair of sandals. We had to walk in our sandals last September in Ireland as we spend 6 hours and 20k hiking through the rain the day before.

About the after race photos with characters, if I remember correctly, maybe ops with rotating princesses??? So it would had to know who is there when you come through. I think the race retreat has photo ops, just haven't done that event.

I forgot about the potential rain. I will wear my every day asics and pack my more running comfy asics and my brooks.
I too only bring one pair of shoes for trips. We are minimalist packers so this is tough for me.
Just waiting on DH to give me his running gear and I can get all that in a bag and then I'll worry about the rest of the trip.
I'm thinking 2 pairs of jeans and 2 pairs of shorts each. We can rotate out or do laundry

Thank you for all the great tips! This is my first Disney run, and I am so excited!!! I could do without the snow tomorrow, but I will deal as long as I get to Orlando on Friday :)

Everyone get the email on the vitural que for new balance shoes? If not I can post the link and info.

Yes, and that might actually increase demand! I know I had 0% interest in those lines, or lining up for a time to come back later in the day, but if I can get a time same-day and just arrange my packet pick-up around that time, I would definitely buy the shoes. I already run in NB890s, my only concern is taking a standard width instead of my usual wide.

Joan...could you please post the link and info. I did not get an e-mail. THANKS SO MUCH!

Registered adult runners only will have the opportunity to reserve a time slot to try on and/or purchase up to 4 pairs of shoes by going to NBVirtualQueue.com beginning at 6:00 a.m. on each of February 20, 21 and 22.
• If you are unable to get a time slot on NBVirtualQueue.com on the day you selected, registered runners and all other guests will have the opportunity to reserve a time slot onsite at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex beginning at 8:00 a.m. on February 20th, and 7:30 a.m. on February 21st and 22nd.
Time slots will be assigned on the day on which the reservation is received (e.g., if you go to NBVirtualQueue.com on February 20, any time slot assigned to you would be on February 20).
• Time slots each day are limited and there is no guarantee that you will get a time slot on any day or that any particular size or fit will be available for purchase at the allotted time slot.
• If you are successful in reserving a time slot, you will receive a confirmation text message and a follow up text message close to the time of your allotted time slot (standard text rates may apply).
• If you fail to go to the designated location at your allocated time spot, you will forfeit your opportunity to try on and/or purchase any shoes at that time.

I just copy and pasted this from email.

I am reallllllly happy they're letting only registered people sign up first. I wonder what times they'll be handing out. I don't get in until 4 on Thursday and am running the 5K on Friday am. If I sign up for a time Friday am, I wonder if I could get back to the expo in time? Hmm....

Feel better than yesterday, so far the congestion hasn't dropped into my chest, but I have lost my voice. It's quite interesting not knowing what sound will come out of my mouth--Minnie Mouse or Barry White, or nothing at all. And of course it would be nothing at all when it's time for bedtime stories....

Can't believe it's this weekend!!!!!

We drove up to Disney on Sunday for my son's birthday and came home yesterday. (We live about 3 hours South of Disney World.) I know, we are nuts because we are going back on Friday for the race weekend.

Anyway, yesterday when we were driving out of the Magic Kingdom I saw signs on the side of the road saying things like "Medic tent #3" and "water stop 8.9". They are starting to get set up for the race! I was excited to see these signs.

Also, there is a big crane set up behind and over the castle. I was told that they are still taking Christmas lights down. So hopefully that will be gone by race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter