Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

Perfect sizing--I don't want to take it from them if they do want it. But if not, please let me know something from Disney that they might want that I can buy them in exchange

DS17 said he's willing to give his shirt up. Are you coming to the WISH meet at Earl of Sandwich Saturday night?

I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck next weekend (!). My wife and I will be one of 50,000,000 Rapunzels and Flynn Riders roaming around (though I'm actually growing out a goatee to sell it!). It's her first 1/2 marathon. I did Goofy as my first races last year and ToT last October.

Some folks have been wondering about heat. Goofy last year was hot and humid, and if you've been training in a northern climate my best advice is to watch your pace and get hydrated well before the race (like days before). I saw lots of folks in much better shape than me who didn't appear to have taken the heat seriously and they struggled. Don't be intimidated by the heat--just respect it like you would the ocean or a snake.

Full disclosure--I'm mostly a walker, but at around a 13:30-14:00 pace. But I've got 4 medals in hand and another one is on its way. If a fat guy like me can do it, so can you!!! Just believe in yourself and your training and when the voices of doubt creep into your head (and trust me, they might!), tell them to go to hell and double down on your resolve.

When I was training for the Goofy last year this board showed me a lot of love, especially folks like Coach and John VN. Those folks (and others too) are the pros for performance insight. But if anyone has any practical questions about what it's like in the last corral, or maybe questions you don't want to ask in a public setting, please feel free to PM me and I'll share what I know. I was there too, and I was really nervous, so I tried my best to document my experience in case anyone in my shoes ever needed help. (There are a few youtube videos as well in case you want a visual account.)

Again, all my best to all of you. When you cross that finish line, especially you first-timers, that's a feeling that you'll never forget and that can never be taken from you. Now go do it.

Dave

I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck next weekend (!). My wife and I will be one of 50,000,000 Rapunzels and Flynn Riders roaming around (though I'm actually growing out a goatee to sell it!). It's her first 1/2 marathon. I did Goofy as my first races last year and ToT last October. Some folks have been wondering about heat. Goofy last year was hot and humid, and if you've been training in a northern climate my best advice is to watch your pace and get hydrated well before the race (like days before). I saw lots of folks in much better shape than me who didn't appear to have taken the heat seriously and they struggled. Don't be intimidated by the heat--just respect it like you would the ocean or a snake. Full disclosure--I'm mostly a walker, but at around a 13:30-14:00 pace. But I've got 4 medals in hand and another one is on its way. If a fat guy like me can do it, so can you!!! Just believe in yourself and your training and when the voices of doubt creep into your head (and trust me, they might!), tell them to go to hell and double down on your resolve. When I was training for the Goofy last year this board showed me a lot of love, especially folks like Coach and John VN. Those folks (and others too) are the pros for performance insight. But if anyone has any practical questions about what it's like in the last corral, or maybe questions you don't want to ask in a public setting, please feel free to PM me and I'll share what I know. I was there too, and I was really nervous, so I tried my best to document my experience in case anyone in my shoes ever needed help. (There are a few youtube videos as well in case you want a visual account.) Again, all my best to all of you. When you cross that finish line, especially you first-timers, that's a feeling that you'll never forget and that can never be taken from you. Now go do it. Dave

Awwwwwe, you made me tear up!! Thanks!! Very inspiring!!

I love that post! Worried about the heat but I am getting that medal!

On another note, I received the marathon photo deal today. Does anyone have a thought on whether it is worth it? Thinking about just toting a small point and shoot but wondering if there are " candids" - even with "race face" on

Thanks!

Btw i am not in the top post but going a provincial Belle...hope to see you all next week

I received the marathon photo deal today. Does anyone have a thought on whether it is worth it? Thinking about just toting a small point and shoot but wondering if there are " candids" - even with "race face" on

I got the same deal. I bought it since I plan to buy the CD of all of the pictures. When I called and asked how much CD's usually cost, the customer service representative said they typically ran between $79 and $89 depending on the race. With the coupon, I figured I would save some money on the CD and essentially get a free photo or two also.

The weird thing is they charged me tax on the gift card, so instead of costing $65 for a $100 gift card, it cost me apx. $70...odd since I bet they will charge me tax on my purchase too. Still felt like I saved though.

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy pics or not. I hear their customer service is pretty bad. I'd love to have pics but not if they aren't good.

I just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck next weekend (!). My wife and I will be one of 50,000,000 Rapunzels and Flynn Riders roaming around (though I'm actually growing out a goatee to sell it!). It's her first 1/2 marathon. I did Goofy as my first races last year and ToT last October. Some folks have been wondering about heat. Goofy last year was hot and humid, and if you've been training in a northern climate my best advice is to watch your pace and get hydrated well before the race (like days before). I saw lots of folks in much better shape than me who didn't appear to have taken the heat seriously and they struggled. Don't be intimidated by the heat--just respect it like you would the ocean or a snake. Full disclosure--I'm mostly a walker, but at around a 13:30-14:00 pace. But I've got 4 medals in hand and another one is on its way. If a fat guy like me can do it, so can you!!! Just believe in yourself and your training and when the voices of doubt creep into your head (and trust me, they might!), tell them to go to hell and double down on your resolve. When I was training for the Goofy last year this board showed me a lot of love, especially folks like Coach and John VN. Those folks (and others too) are the pros for performance insight. But if anyone has any practical questions about what it's like in the last corral, or maybe questions you don't want to ask in a public setting, please feel free to PM me and I'll share what I know. I was there too, and I was really nervous, so I tried my best to document my experience in case anyone in my shoes ever needed help. (There are a few youtube videos as well in case you want a visual account.) Again, all my best to all of you. When you cross that finish line, especially you first-timers, that's a feeling that you'll never forget and that can never be taken from you. Now go do it. Dave

I seriously teared up too. I can't believe that I am nine days away. It's surreal and I can't wait to cross that finish line. :)

First time runner in this race. I am so excited and cannot believe how close it is! I have been counting down since August. I am getting a little nervous about running completely alone. None of my friends run. Is it easy to make friends on the run so I am not alone the whole time?

First time runner in this race. I am so excited and cannot believe how close it is! I have been counting down since August. I am getting a little nervous about running completely alone. None of my friends run. Is it easy to make friends on the run so I am not alone the whole time?

It's my first too! I have heard that you are never alone at a runDisney race!

I love that post! Worried about the heat but I am getting that medal!

On another note, I received the marathon photo deal today. Does anyone have a thought on whether it is worth it? Thinking about just toting a small point and shoot but wondering if there are " candids" - even with "race face" on

I got it twice. I will NOT buy it. I am still waiting on a photo from 2008. Never gonna come. Most photo aren't very good. Read the recent thread…most are unhappy with quality and customer relations.

Feel free to strike up a conversation with me. I'm going to be a green fairy in the 10k and queen of hearts in the 1/2. I love to talk while I'm running. :). I've met some really nice people at races.

I got it twice. I will NOT buy it. I am still waiting on a photo from 2008. Never gonna come. Most photo aren't very good. Read the recent thread…most are unhappy with quality and customer relations.
thank you! You are a wealth of knowledge - think I will throw a tiny one in my pocket or use my phone.

You won't be alone. It is easy to chat people up in corrals, and even talk to people on the run.

I always run alone, but even introverted me will chat people in the corral. Also, depending on your estimated finish, you may be able to hook up with a pace group.

Well, I've never done a runDisney race, but my experience at other halfs is YES YES YES!!! Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone next to you....it makes the miles pass by faster! All big races I've run have been filled with plenty of friendly people and I've made a lot of small talk with plenty of them :)

You're not alone. You're one of us!!! And from what I can see, ALL of your friends run.

I've met some wonderful folks on the courses. Also, you'll be waiting in the corral for a while and that's a great time to chat as well. You'd be surprised at the wonderfully interesting people you'll meet.

I've come down with a cold that has led to an enforced taper for the last three days. Really want to get in a 4 miler tomorrow before we get hit with a major snowstorm on Thursday. Wanted to go today but just didn't have the energy to force myself. Better to be sick this week than next, though!

Another resounding YES from me! I've met a ton of really great people while racing. At one race in particular I was injured and run/walk pacing myself with another runner in a green headband. Turns out- she was doing the same thing with me and my green shirt. We finished the last 7 or so miles together talking about our love of running and Disney!! We're Facebook friends now and still like to chat about local events we're doing and any runDisney events we might be headed to.

Ok, so I'm a newbie to running period, let alone running at Disney (definitely not a Disney newbie though)! I've been annoying friends who have run the race with a bunch of questions, so before I bother them again I'll post a couple here?

How long does it usually take to wait in line for a picture with the characters? I've read that some lines are longer than others, and of course those are the ones I want. I'm hoping to stop for the Villains, the Heroes, and Captain Jack, assuming they're out there of course. Also Princess Anna since I'm dressing as her for the race. I'm in Corral N, planning to get there super early so I can make my way to the front, and I finished my 13 mile training run in 2 hours 45 minutes (12:30 mm). How realistic is it for me to get those 3 photos?

I opted not to purchase the race retreat. Will there be areas for me to stretch at right after I finish? I want to get my legs elevated so I won't be hobbling around for 36 hours-learned that one the hard way after the 13 mile training run.

About how long does it take to get back to a resort after the race? I'm just trying to figure out FP+ and when/where I'm going to need to eat. I thought about just bringing a change of clothes and leaving it at bag check, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to return to the resort and soak/rest for a little bit.

I think that's all I've got for now. I'm really anxious, but I'm excited too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter