• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

Not sure what day you are headed in…I would hate to carry that stuff around DHS. If your room is not ready you can day check your bags if you don't use the bag tags at airport (where they pick up your stuff for you). I would think allow 30 minutes to get bus to Expo. Then it all depends on lines for bib pickup. I have never seen more than a couple of people in a line so maybe 30 min. there. The expo is open until 8pm on Thursday and I am thinking if the weather is nice I will wait and go to the expo later in the day. Is that an option, going after the park first and expo? LET ME ADD: The all-star buses stop at all three resorts…expect on race morning (half, not sure about 10k). So once on bus at sports, we then stop at movies and the other one. Takes a bit longer as people get on and off.

Thanks so much for your quick response! To be honest, I never thought about having to carry the stuff around...maybe I will go to the expo later. I know Dhs closes at 7 that day so that might be the best way to optimize park time. What time should I plan to leave for the expo to leave enough time to get all my stuff? Also, I'm assuming the best way to get between the expo/DHS is to take an Epcot resort bus and walk/take the boat from there? I would also be willing to spend the money on a cab one way of it would make it faster/easier enough.

I will have a backpack if I do decide to bring the stuff to the park, but carrying around 9 shirts plus other gear sounds like a pain. I should also add I have no interest in seeing the rest of the expo....I can go to expos at races around here, but I can't ride tower of terror before just any half marathon!

My other option is this: go on Thursday, just pick up the 5k packets/tshirts to save time, and then return on Friday with my mom and sister to pick up our GSC packets/merch (they are arriving late Thursday night). Would this help me maximize Thursday park time? Time on Friday is not a large concern, we have a mostly relaxing non park day planned that day.

Finally, thanks for the heads up on the All Star buses, especially because we were hoping to leave on the later side. We will be at All Star Sports on Friday night then move to BWV for the remainder of the weekend. Does that resort share a rundisney bus with the other Epcot resorts?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a little apprehensive about doing all this solo, and also trying to plan my FP+ for thurs so I really appreciate any advice!!

I went to the Wine and Dine expo in 2012 with the goal of getting in and out ASAP. My family was waiting for me back at the resort and I was relying on Disney transportation. Yes, everything was all over the place. I had to go to three separate buildings and spend a lot of time following the crowds. There was a line for packets and shirts, but they weren't terrible. Like any race, they force you to walk through the expo so have your blinders ready. Jeff Galloway was giving one of his talks as I tried to get through and there was a lot of "excuse me" and shuffling to get around the group. The good thing was I never had to wait for buses. They were always there and would leave 5-10 minutes after I had boarded. We were staying at AKL and I think I was about 90 minutes round trip from the time I left to the time I got back, but you might want to plan for two hours since you will need to go to separate GSC and 5K tables for both packets and shirts.

Thanks! 2 hours is about what I was estimating....but I was hoping I was overestimating!

Based on your experience, would it be more trouble than it's worth to go to the expo twice? Once on thurs just to pick up the 5k stuff, and again on Friday when my sister arrives to pick up the GSC stuff?

Thanks! 2 hours is about what I was estimating....but I was hoping I was overestimating!

Based on your experience, would it be more trouble than it's worth to go to the expo twice? Once on thurs just to pick up the 5k stuff, and again on Friday when my sister arrives to pick up the GSC stuff?

Not unless you were going to make one quick trip and then wanted to go back later to really look around. Although the best stuff will probably all be sold out by the time you go back again, so what would be the point? I feel like Disney vacations are so expensive and there is so much to do, I try to minimize the amount of time spent on buses or doubling-back on my travels.

But I'm not a big expo person. I want to get in, get my stuff, and get out again. I wouldn't choose to go twice for fun.

How is everyone getting to the races? My family will be driving down and we are staying at AKL. I didn't know if we should take the bus or drive? Then there is the option to take the monorail from MK parking and go to Epcot?

It also depends on if your sister wants to go to the expo too. I personally would just go once, but it also depends on your goals for Friday, if you aren't doing parks at all, then why not go back? And FYI, the regular expo booths are not necessarily going to be out of stuff, but Disney merchandise might be "thin." I hope not too badly, as I'm not going to be at the expo until fri afternoon.

I have a question about waivers. I signed up for the 10k way back when and have my waiver all printed out and good to go. Yesterday (on a whim...and because the shirts were so cute) I signed up for the 5k. Is there a separate waiver for this? I looked myself up online and I only have a 10k waiver available to print. Will a 5k waiver become available to me in a few days? Do I have to print it at the expo? Just want to cover all of my bases and keep myself organized! Thanks princesses!

Just finished my longest run of my training--15 miles and managed to get outdoors to do it. Yes, it was only 7 when I started,but no wind and the sun peaked out occasionally. The run went well, my latest tape job on my foot held (which made the blister thing a little better) and now I can look forward to two weeks of taper.

One piece of advice (which I remembered on my run today)....try to have one really good run/walk over the next two weeks. Doesn't matter how far or even how fast. Just one run where you feel good and finish with a smile. It is amazing how good that feeling is and how it carries you into race weekend.

Just finished my longest run of my training--15 miles and managed to get outdoors to do it. Yes, it was only 7 when I started,but no wind and the sun peaked out occasionally. The run went well, my latest tape job on my foot held (which made the blister thing a little better) and now I can look forward to two weeks of taper.

One piece of advice (which I remembered on my run today)....try to have one really good run/walk over the next two weeks. Doesn't matter how far or even how fast. Just one run where you feel good and finish with a smile. It is amazing how good that feeling is and how it carries you into race weekend.

Excellent for you!!

And, good advice! I'm about to go out now for a fast walk. Unfortunately still a little sore on one hamstring from my longest/fastest outing last weekend...I jogged a little too much and have been paying for it all week! I am not a runner (or much of a jogger, for that matter :laughing:) But I did feel good doing it! :)

Seriously! Must try all the flavors! Except Cherry Cola. That just sounds gross. Come to think of it, I did see the orange somewhere, but I think it was before I started eating them. Fruit smoothie is good too. So nice of you to offer to bring some! I will see if I can get them here!

So are we all just going to meet up at the WISH meet?

I will be at the WISH meet Saturday night. Probably not for long though, the kids will want to go do something. And I think we are meeting at the W tent before and after the 1/2. I need to check with my corral partner on that one.

I know all about the sinus yuckiness :( I just got over bronchitis and my lungs are not up to running on the 23rd. It's okay though as I plan on attending the Expo still and will be ready for 2015 - hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, Ladydonna! Feeling almost slightly better today, but now the snow's coming down hard again, and I don't think I'll be able to make it to the gym today.

I'm glad you're doing better! I'm hoping to make it to the store this week to get some iron-on letters to put "W.I.S.H." on my shirt, so be sure to say "Hi" at the expo if you see one. :)

11 miler is in the book! I tried out the A&D on my thigh area and my heel. No blisters or rubs! I am pretty glad that training is coming to an end and am ready to scale back. Now the fun part gearing up for vacation and counting down. Whoot whoot it is almost shoe time:cool1::cool1::cool1:

For the 5K? Not sure.
I just know that DS was in the low 100's and I had selected the 7mm pace and the rest of us are in the 9500's in the 13-16mm pace.

Wait there is watermelon??? I must find them! I've seen pink lemonade, orange blossom and pomegranate. I don't like pomegranate though so I didn't buy those.

Yes!! They are in a green package those blueberry pomegrante are the pits!!

11 miler is in the book! I tried out the A&D on my thigh area and my heel. No blisters or rubs! I am pretty glad that training is coming to an end and am ready to scale back. Now the fun part gearing up for vacation and counting down. Whoot whoot it is almost shoe time:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Good job! I made it through 10-- I said I'd be happy with anything over 6 so I didn't aggravate this blister/infection on my big toe. Now we can take it easy this next week!

Or, we can start figuring out what to pack, what goes in the carry-on, and, in my case, what to do about the fact that my shoes are giving me blisters and I don't think I can wear my sparkle skirt for three races in a row...

Did 14 this morning. My best run in a long time. I've had shin splint issues for the last few months. Now, if I could just settle on a costume

I have a question about waivers. I signed up for the 10k way back when and have my waiver all printed out and good to go. Yesterday (on a whim...and because the shirts were so cute) I signed up for the 5k. Is there a separate waiver for this? I looked myself up online and I only have a 10k waiver available to print. Will a 5k waiver become available to me in a few days? Do I have to print it at the expo? Just want to cover all of my bases and keep myself organized! Thanks princesses!

There are definitely 5k waivers - I have one, I'm doing the half and the 5k, and registered at different times for them. But I think the ones currently available online only represent registrations submitted by 1/27. I'm not sure if they'll do another upload closer to the race, or if people who registered after 1/27 will have to print them at the expo.

They also haven't posted any of the non-race waivers (chEAR squad, pasta in the park party, etc.) yet. I called on Thursday and was told they'd be up by Friday afternoon, but obviously that didn't happen. I'll call back on Monday, because I'm picking up my mom's 5k bib, chEAR squad package, and breakfast, and she needs to mail me her signed waivers with less than 2 weeks to go!!

15! Wow! You are my hero!

Yeah! So glad the a&d worked.

Good job! I made it through 10-- I said I'd be happy with anything over 6 so I didn't aggravate this blister/infection on my big toe. Now we can take it easy this next week!

Or, we can start figuring out what to pack, what goes in the carry-on, and, in my case, what to do about the fact that my shoes are giving me blisters and I don't think I can wear my sparkle skirt for three races in a row...

Can I do both? I haven't done my last long run yet. My ankle and foot is still bothering me and I'm going to give it one more day of rest I think. I am so tempted to just do it now and get it over with but maybe a miracle will occur and waiting one more day will make the pain magically disappear. It has moved from my ankle to my toes, and now feels like a cramp or tightness so I'm pretty sure it's not a bad injury if it was a 6 or 7 miler I'd just go do it, but I really really want to do 12. So I'm trying to be patient. In the meantime, I'm going to try my hand at a tutu I think.

Did 14 this morning. My best run in a long time. I've had shin splint issues for the last few months. Now, if I could just settle on a costume

Again! My hero! One of these days I want to do a run of more than 13.5 miles.

I imagine this has already been asked and answered, but what's everyone doing about music/headphones? My ipod battery ran out near the end of my last run, and those miles seemed extra long ;)
Do you think there's enough entertainment on the course, or should I plan to put in at least one earplug?

I imagine this has already been asked and answered, but what's everyone doing about music/headphones? My ipod battery ran out near the end of my last run, and those miles seemed extra long ;)
Do you think there's enough entertainment on the course, or should I plan to put in at least one earplug?

I have run all 5 PHM and never used headphone music. Just enjoy the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter