• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

I like the shirts too!

I completely forgot about the kids ears I got for my son! :cheer2:

Oh boy, 3 shirts, race packet, wristbands, race retreat and chearsquad stuff plus DS's race - I was going to go alone, but now I'm thinking I might drag my mom with me to carry it all. :thumbsup2

I forgot about race retreat - yay! Do we get our wristbands with the bibs? Or do we need to stand in a separate line to pick up wristbands? Which chearsquad package did you get? Still considering that for my family . . .

Should I worry I do not have any information about my bib? I thought I registered through runDisney, but when I called the number she said I wasn't logged on under my Active account, which caused it to not bring up my information. I have no clue!

Anybody else going alone? The twins really want to go, but without someone to be with them, it's not possible.

Is the race retreat worth it? What about Pasta in the Park. I somehow feel like this would be soooo much better if someone were going with me. I'm bummed she backed out on me two weeks before the race.

I'm trying to read all I can to get mentally prepared. I feel like I'm stretching myself thin between law classes, prepping for this, work, the twins, hubby and his baseball.

Even though we live in Texas, we are season pass holders. So I'm thinking of flying out Wednesday to be there for Thursday's Expo opening. I'm trying to figure out if I should fly out Monday or Tuesday. I'm wondering how sore I'll be on Monday, so was thinking maybe fly out Tuesday.

Found it! They had me birthdate wrong. I'm in "N."

Glad that got sorted out. The birthday mixup happens pretty regularly. For a long time mine was off and then finally got straightened out.

As for your worries and your trip timing..... I honestly don't think the expo is a huge deal--depends on how much of a merchandise fiend you are, I guess, and I'm not! So getting there Thursday is a legitimately okay option. As for leaving and soreness, I think you would be fine on Monday, especially if you -take care of yourself after the race on Sunday--meaning, post-race stretching, fueling/hydration and some nice easy movement afterwards (like an afternoon in a park walking around).

Don't add to your stress level by being away more days than you feel you need to be. You can still have a great 4 day weekend without undue stress.

As for Pasta or Race Retreat, opinions will vary all over. I don't choose to participate--mostly because I don't think its a good value.

And as for going alone--I have raced at Disney at least once a year since 2008. I have always gone alone (except for last year when my daughter ran the half) and I enjoy it a lot. I get to do what I want, when I want it, and I have met WISHers at every race. Don't let the fact that you're "alone" stress you out. You will be there with lots of other kindred spirits, and you will feel part of the whole show.

OMG!! I'm headed out to run my last long run before the race!! Next week, I'm only doing 4! It's 29° outside and I'm ready!! Can't believe it's almost race day!! Excited/Scared/Nervous!!!! How many of you plan your route where there's restrooms? Ha!! I'll pass two gas stations, my church, and my gym.

I forgot about race retreat - yay! Do we get our wristbands with the bibs? Or do we need to stand in a separate line to pick up wristbands? Which chearsquad package did you get? Still considering that for my family . . .

We ended up going with the chearsquad with the race retreat in it. My mom is very sensitive to climate (and a bit of a wuss) and so I thought it would be good for her to have the option to be "indoors" if it was really cold or raining. Plus they will have my son with them and I know they will enjoy being able to sit and eat something with me after. I'm only doing this race once (at least once when I bring the whole family along with), so we splurged a bit! Also, I sold 85% of DS's baby stuff at a consignment sale last year and used some of the proceeds from that to offset the cost. :thumbsup2

I have no idea of the pick-up procedure for wristbands but knowing how rD does expos I'm going to bet we will end up in a bunch of different lines for race retreat, chearsquad, packet pickup, kids races, etc. Even commemorative items are in a separate line. It's one of the reasons I'm not bringing DS with us to the expo. It will probably take me forever! (I'm going on Friday afternoon - alone).

and whoever mentioned an empty backpack, Thank You! That is a GREAT idea. Thank you! I detest those giant plastic bags with string handles and I always worry I'm smushing my bib!

I love the designs, but I don't really love the colors. Then again, I'd be happy if everything was in some form of neon, preferably fuchsia.
ITA! :thumbsup2 I love last year's shirt and wear it often... I see this year's shirts sinking deeply to the bottom of my drawer.

Is the race retreat worth it? What about Pasta in the Park.
It really depends on your needs.... I can't see any value in pasta in the Park because, really - I can get pasta at a gazillion other places for less than half the cost. If I were doing just the PHM, I wouldn't have bothered with Race Retreat; I did it last year and it was nice, but definitely not a necessity. I only added it this time because I'm doing all 3 races and I know I'll be tired and worn out by the third early morning; for me, there's value in knowing I won't have to think about where to get food, etc. I didn't use RR for the WDW Half, though, and never missed it.

I'm trying to read all I can to get mentally prepared. I feel like I'm stretching myself thin between law classes, prepping for this, work, the twins, hubby and his baseball.
:faint: That is a LOT on your plate! Hang in there - it's almost time to get this party started!

As for your worries and your trip timing..... I honestly don't think the expo is a huge deal--depends on how much of a merchandise fiend you are, I guess, and I'm not!
Totally agree! But I'm not a shopper, so the expo is more an inescapable necessity through which I must suffer to run my race, lol!

And as for going alone--I have raced at Disney at least once a year since 2008. I have always gone alone (except for last year when my daughter ran the half) and I enjoy it a lot. I get to do what I want, when I want it, and I have met WISHers at every race. Don't let the fact that you're "alone" stress you out. You will be there with lots of other kindred spirits, and you will feel part of the whole show.
::yes:: Yep, ditto all of this!

OMG!! I'm headed out to run my last long run before the race!! Next week, I'm only doing 4! It's 29° outside and I'm ready!! Can't believe it's almost race day!! Excited/Scared/Nervous!!!! How many of you plan your route where there's restrooms? Ha!! I'll pass two gas stations, my church, and my gym.

That is the BEST feeling! The last long run before a race.

I was looking forward to my 12 on Sunday and then a nice taper but now my ankle is hurting and I'm not sure what I'm going to be running between now and then. I'm fairly certain it's just a muscle spasm and it will go away shortly, but probably not in time for my short run tomorrow and possibly not in time for that Sunday run. Trying not to panic or start fussing with my training plan yet but patience is NOT one of my virtues. :crazy2:

Just finished my 12 mile run :cheer2:
I'll do 3 6 mile runs next week.
My flight should be leaving about this time in two weeks :cheer2:

Hope your run went great!

Two weeks to go (or less) for many of us! With school and work I'm finding that I haven't thought a ton about this trip. I'm so wrapped up in life that the trip still feels totally unreal. Anyone else in the same boat? Even prepping for my usual pre-race rituals aren't making it feel real!

My kids are making me nuts!! I want to go to Disney so bad today I am willing to run 13.1 miles once I get there:) Started "packing" stuff last night. So but wish I knew what to expect for weather. And yes, they are giving me a hard time about going without them.

Found it! They had me birthdate wrong. I'm in "N."

Is that your corral placement? Sorry if this is a repeat of information, but I got the waiver using the trackshack link posted but I don't see a corral?

My long run was great!! It was cold!! 24° with the windchill. I am trying to get warm! My whole body is shivering right now!! How do y'all warm up after a cold run?

jbish said:
Is that your corral placement? Sorry if this is a repeat of information, but I got the waiver using the trackshack link posted but I don't see a corral?

The waiver has your bib number at the bottom. You match that up with the correct range on the list of corrals to find yours.

We ended up going with the chearsquad with the race retreat in it. My mom is very sensitive to climate (and a bit of a wuss) and so I thought it would be good for her to have the option to be "indoors" if it was really cold or raining. Plus they will have my son with them and I know they will enjoy being able to sit and eat something with me after. I'm only doing this race once (at least once when I bring the whole family along with), so we splurged a bit! Also, I sold 85% of DS's baby stuff at a consignment sale last year and used some of the proceeds from that to offset the cost. :thumbsup2

I have no idea of the pick-up procedure for wristbands but knowing how rD does expos I'm going to bet we will end up in a bunch of different lines for race retreat, chearsquad, packet pickup, kids races, etc. Even commemorative items are in a separate line. It's one of the reasons I'm not bringing DS with us to the expo. It will probably take me forever! (I'm going on Friday afternoon - alone).

and whoever mentioned an empty backpack, Thank You! That is a GREAT idea. Thank you! I detest those giant plastic bags with string handles and I always worry I'm smushing my bib!

I'm crossing my fingers for commemorative items in the same line as something else! At DL last summer, that's one thing they did well - handed us pins and ear hats along with bibs.

Seriously, you have a great system in place for race weekend - race retreat for your family, going solo to the expo, etc. I think the backpack is a must for me on Thursday afternoon with three boys, four 5K packets, one kids run packet and one half marathon packet. I promised our youngest that we would be in and out of that expo as quickly as possible . . . and then he said he wants to find the sport beans booth. I have a box of sport beans in my kitchen, and was hoping that would substitute, but I guess it's not the same as free sport beans at the booth!

Reviewing the race program, adding some music to my ipod, and then off for my last long run. Unfortunately, it's on the treadmill, as the current windchill is 10 below zero!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter