Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

It is seriously cold here and I eeked out 8 miles on the treadmill, slowly. Had a mild freak out about my time - it's so much better outside. I ran in my costume and my husband said my Belle apron made me look like a waitress:) my son said I needed "more skirt". It's lost on them:)

Apologies if this has been discussed previously...

-Are the characters on course the same each year? I am trying to decide which ones I must really stop for, and which I can pass by.
-Any advice on arrival time for those driving to Epcot?
-Does anyone know if this year's theme is Frozen?

And I'm doing the half. :)

I'm so sorry for those of you all stuck on the TM. I can't imagine. I have friends in Chicago who are itching to get back on the road.

I was able to run in my first official 10k today. I finished at a 13:46 mm pace. I was one of the last ones but I was really proud that I finished and I am feeling a bit better about my pace being good enough for the Enchanted 10k.

Keep my fingers crosses that the snow lets up so some of you all can get back on the road!

I'm so sorry for those of you all stuck on the TM. I can't imagine. I have friends in Chicago who are itching to get back on the road.

I was able to run in my first official 10k today. I finished at a 13:46 mm pace. I was one of the last ones but I was really proud that I finished and I am feeling a bit better about my pace being good enough for the Enchanted 10k.

Keep my fingers crosses that the snow lets up so some of you all can get back on the road!

Good for you! I'm always one of the last one-- or even THE last one!

So excited for the Glass Slipper Challenge!! Just did the 10k and 1/2 marathon during Disneyland's Tinker Bell Weekend and it was a lot of fun. I was impressed so many locals came out to support the runners. The only problem I had was running on the concrete. I'm from Alaska and have been on a treadmill since October, so it was hard on my feet/legs. If you see a runner with medals riding a scooter through the park on Sunday it will probably be me!
:moped:

Can anyone fill me a little bit on the Expo? This is my first rD event, so I'm clueless.

I get in late Thursday night (2/20) and was planning on going to the Expo on Friday morning. Would it be better to go another day/time or doesn't it really matter? How long should I plan to be there?

I'm running the PHM, just for reference! :)

Thanks everyone! :goodvibes Stay warm!

Hello,

I could have sworn I received an email with more info about the race but it had come to my phone and I didn't have time to read it right then, I just went back for it and it wasn't there. . . either I'm just too excited and imagined the email (hoping our corral placements have been assigned) or I'm loosing my mind. If you received one, did I miss anything important?
Thanks!

Can anyone fill me a little bit on the Expo? This is my first rD event, so I'm clueless.

I get in late Thursday night (2/20) and was planning on going to the Expo on Friday morning. Would it be better to go another day/time or doesn't it really matter? How long should I plan to be there?

I'm running the PHM, just for reference! :)

Thanks everyone! :goodvibes Stay warm!
Friday morning should be fine. I would think that you will have all the 5k runners out of the way at first. How long? that depends. There are many booths; clothes, shoes, trinkets, running accessories and free samples at some booths, and photo ops. It shouldn't take long if you just want to get your bib and move on. don't forget to include travel time to and from the expo if you are using the resort expo bus system this could take longer than driving.

Hello,

I could have sworn I received an email with more info about the race but it had come to my phone and I didn't have time to read it right then, I just went back for it and it wasn't there. . . either I'm just too excited and imagined the email (hoping our corral placements have been assigned) or I'm loosing my mind. If you received one, did I miss anything important?
Thanks!

I got an email Jan. 9, but it didn't have any important info. You can check the web site for corral placement…but it isn't up yet.

That's awesome, congratulations!

A much faster racer shared something with me about a year ago that I repeat to myself and other racers all the time: the only person you're competing with is YOURSELF. And no matter if you're first or last to finish, it's the same distance and the same metal at the end regardless.

The bottom line is that we're all doing this to have a good time. The icing on the cake is that while we're having a good time, we're getting fit as well.

You ladies are truly inspiring!

:)

Less than 4 weeks till P-Day!!! Got my first outside long run in. 9 miler done. I made friends with my foam roller this morning and all is well. I have trained mostly on a treadmill this race and my long run outside did not suffer at all. In fact my knees held up good the whole time. I mostly trained outside for races however with the rain and frigid temps, I have been treadmill bound. I think it worked out better for me as I do get knee and hip pains from constant ground
Pounding.
Playing around with nutrition now. Next up is my 11 miler and then the Princess!!
Can't believe it is almost here!! We are on the home stretch ladies!!!

I am LOVING all of the great runs you guys are posting! Thank you for sharing - it's really helping to keep me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes

Which leads me to my state of mind at the moment - I need you, Princesses.

It's been tough getting my runs in the last few weeks. I went to see my doctor last Monday for my headaches and my GI issues (sorry if TMI!) because both have really been getting in the way of my training. She's pretty sure the migraines I've had since childhood are still front and center and prescribed a med to cut them off at the pass. But it's not working. :( She said that if I go through all of the pills she prescribed in a month's time, that she'll want to prescribe something to take daily. Unfortunately, it's looking like I'll go through this med in just a few weeks, and the worry about the daily med is that it would lower my already low blood pressure. Really really frustrated with this, but even more so with my GI issues. Last Sunday, it kept me from running any farther than 4 miles. My longest thus far is 8.5, and I'm really starting to worry that I won't make the full 13.1. :(

And then yesterday, my heel really starting hurting, then into the middle of the sole of my foot. Then up my ankle and into my shin. And then the other. What the heck is this?? I tried icing last night and, although it felt great while I was icing, it really didn't help. I'm afraid to jump on the TM today. What would you do? I could really use the advice of the amazing women here. :goodvibes

Ok.. and one more... I'm so sorry for this big vent. My friend who signed up with me has just told me that she's not sure she's going to run. She's still going with me, of course, but I think she's had so much going on that she hasn't trained enough to feel confident about the race. I love her dearly and really do look forward to having a girls' weekend with her, but I'm honestly sad. For me, this weekend is all about empowerment, about challenging yourself to do things you never thought you could do, and about supporting one another and lifting each other up. I originally signed up for this race on my own, so excited to do this for me and to meet other women doing it for themselves. When my friend decided to jump in with me, I was so happy at the thought of us doing this together, struggling through it but then doing it and celebrating after. I sound awful, I know... it's just a letdown at a time when I really need a partner, you know?

Sorry for the vent... if you've read this, thank you. And if you have any words of wisdom, I'd so appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Princesses... princess::goodvibes

Less than 4 weeks till P-Day!!! Got my first outside long run in. 9 miler done. I made friends with my foam roller this morning and all is well. I have trained mostly on a treadmill this race and my long run outside did not suffer at all. In fact my knees held up good the whole time. I mostly trained outside for races however with the rain and frigid temps, I have been treadmill bound. I think it worked out better for me as I do get knee and hip pains from constant ground
Pounding.
Playing around with nutrition now. Next up is my 11 miler and then the Princess!!
Can't believe it is almost here!! We are on the home stretch ladies!!!

Good to know! I've been on the treadmill almost the entire time and a little worried about getting on the road again. I'm not going to risk tripping and slipping on the ice and snow, though. The treadmill is safer in this weather.

That's awesome, congratulations! A much faster racer shared something with me about a year ago that I repeat to myself and other racers all the time: the only person you're competing with is YOURSELF. And no matter if you're first or last to finish, it's the same distance and the same metal at the end regardless. The bottom line is that we're all doing this to have a good time. The icing on the cake is that while we're having a good time, we're getting fit as well. You ladies are truly inspiring! :)

Thank you. :)

I am LOVING all of the great runs you guys are posting! Thank you for sharing - it's really helping to keep me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes

It's been tough getting my runs in the last few weeks. I went to see my doctor last Monday for my headaches and my GI issues (sorry if TMI!) because both have really been getting in the way of my training. She's pretty sure the migraines I've had since childhood are still front and center and prescribed a med to cut them off at the pass. But it's not working. :( She said that if I go through all of the pills she prescribed in a month's time, that she'll want to prescribe something to take daily. Unfortunately, it's looking like I'll go through this med in just a few weeks, and the worry about the daily med is that it would lower my already low blood pressure. Really really frustrated with this, but even more so with my GI issues. Last Sunday, it kept me from running any farther than 4 miles. My longest thus far is 8.5, and I'm really starting to worry that I won't make the full 13.1. :(

And then yesterday, my heel really starting hurting, then into the middle of the sole of my foot. Then up my ankle and into my shin. And then the other. What the heck is this?? I tried icing last night and, although it felt great while I was icing, it really didn't help. I'm afraid to jump on the TM today. What would you do? I could really use the advice of the amazing women here. :goodvibes

Ok.. and one more... I'm so sorry for this big vent. My friend who signed up with me has just told me that she's not sure she's going to run. She's still going with me, of course, but I think she's had so much going on that she hasn't trained enough to feel confident about the race. I love her dearly and really do look forward to having a girls' weekend with her, but I'm honestly sad. For me, this weekend is all about empowerment, about challenging yourself to do things you never thought you could do, and about supporting one another and lifting each other up. I originally signed up for this race on my own, so excited to do this for me and to meet other women doing it for themselves. When my friend decided to jump in with me, I was so happy at the thought of us doing this together, struggling through it but then doing it and celebrating after. I sound awful, I know... it's just a letdown at a time when I really need a partner, you know?

Sorry for the vent... if you've read this, thank you. And if you have any words of wisdom, I'd so appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Princesses... princess::goodvibes

Words of Wisdom: DEEP BREATH. Inhale Blue, Exhale Pink. Repeat, repeat, repeat!
I totally feel for you on the migrane and GI issues, that's so tough and I think you're totally amazing with the milage you've already accomplished.

That being said, we're 4 weeks out. And while that's so exciting, it's also 4. WHOLE. WEEKS. Let the stress go. Focus on feeling better, get some miles in ONLY if you feel up to it. Listen to your body!

And I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Totally get your frustration and disapointment. But you won't be alone...you're going to be with how many of your fellow Princesses all with the same goal in mind?? So NO WORRIES. We're all there to enjoy the experience, and believe me, I know how easy it is to get completely stressed about aspects of this race (pace, balloon ladies, pictures, finishing, balloon ladies, what am I gonna wear, BALLOON LADIES...did I mention the balloon ladies?). But I've decided that while I've trained hard to finish in a certain time, there are variables that I can not control that could possibly affect my finish. And after all, did I sign up for this race for a PR? NO. I signed up because it sounded like a total blast! So that's what I'm focusing on: having a good time. :)

So breathe, let your body heal, and let things take care of themselves. It will all work out, I promise!

I am LOVING all of the great runs you guys are posting! Thank you for sharing - it's really helping to keep me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes Which leads me to my state of mind at the moment - I need you, Princesses. It's been tough getting my runs in the last few weeks. I went to see my doctor last Monday for my headaches and my GI issues (sorry if TMI!) because both have really been getting in the way of my training. She's pretty sure the migraines I've had since childhood are still front and center and prescribed a med to cut them off at the pass. But it's not working. :( She said that if I go through all of the pills she prescribed in a month's time, that she'll want to prescribe something to take daily. Unfortunately, it's looking like I'll go through this med in just a few weeks, and the worry about the daily med is that it would lower my already low blood pressure. Really really frustrated with this, but even more so with my GI issues. Last Sunday, it kept me from running any farther than 4 miles. My longest thus far is 8.5, and I'm really starting to worry that I won't make the full 13.1. :( And then yesterday, my heel really starting hurting, then into the middle of the sole of my foot. Then up my ankle and into my shin. And then the other. What the heck is this?? I tried icing last night and, although it felt great while I was icing, it really didn't help. I'm afraid to jump on the TM today. What would you do? I could really use the advice of the amazing women here. :goodvibes Ok.. and one more... I'm so sorry for this big vent. My friend who signed up with me has just told me that she's not sure she's going to run. She's still going with me, of course, but I think she's had so much going on that she hasn't trained enough to feel confident about the race. I love her dearly and really do look forward to having a girls' weekend with her, but I'm honestly sad. For me, this weekend is all about empowerment, about challenging yourself to do things you never thought you could do, and about supporting one another and lifting each other up. I originally signed up for this race on my own, so excited to do this for me and to meet other women doing it for themselves. When my friend decided to jump in with me, I was so happy at the thought of us doing this together, struggling through it but then doing it and celebrating after. I sound awful, I know... it's just a letdown at a time when I really need a partner, you know? Sorry for the vent... if you've read this, thank you. And if you have any words of wisdom, I'd so appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Princesses... princess::goodvibes

I am sorry that you have so many things going on. :( I would focus on making sure that you are healthy and feeling better. I actually think that you would be surprised at how far your training will get you. :)

I can't help you with the foot pain. I don't think I have ever had something like that before.

I am sorry about your friend. I had a friend sign up with me too, but she never really committed herself to the training and now is not going. Thankfully another one of my friends and her baby are going to support me. So even though I am running the race I will have support and someone to have fun with after. Try to focus on that. Maybe you running the race will get her into the spirit for next time. Although I am slower than most I look forward to chatting with some of you or even some new faces when I am there. :)

I'm sorry you're having troubles :hug: Just wanted to add my 2 cents here....I ran the Disney Half 2 weeks ago. I wasn't able to train as well as I had originally planned on; I started school full time in September and just had trouble finding the time to get it all in. Along with battling IT Band Syndrome and hip flexor issues, I felt pretty unprepared. My longest run prior to the race was 10 miles.

3 days before the race, I did something (don't know what) to my lower back/SI joint and had trouble even walking and standing never mind running. I FREAKED out, we were leaving the next morning and I didn't know how the heck I was going to run the race. Then after freaking for a while, I decided that I was going to just do the best I could do. I packed my foam roller, a tube of Biofreeze and lots of KT Tape. I gently stretched a couple times a day and tried not to freak out anymore.

My plan was simply to put one foot in front of the other and get the miles in anyway I could. What other choice did I have?? I wasn't going to cancel the trip, or blow off the race, I had put too much into getting there. And you know what? I did finish the race, clocked the worst pace I had ever clocked before but I didn't care, I got to the finish line when just days before I didn't know if I'd be able to. And, I had an awesome time!!!!

Hang in there and try not to stress, you can do it one step at a time! I do hope you get some relief though, GI issues and migraines are no fun :hug:

I am LOVING all of the great runs you guys are posting! Thank you for sharing - it's really helping to keep me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel. :goodvibes Which leads me to my state of mind at the moment - I need you, Princesses. It's been tough getting my runs in the last few weeks. I went to see my doctor last Monday for my headaches and my GI issues (sorry if TMI!) because both have really been getting in the way of my training. She's pretty sure the migraines I've had since childhood are still front and center and prescribed a med to cut them off at the pass. But it's not working. :( She said that if I go through all of the pills she prescribed in a month's time, that she'll want to prescribe something to take daily. Unfortunately, it's looking like I'll go through this med in just a few weeks, and the worry about the daily med is that it would lower my already low blood pressure. Really really frustrated with this, but even more so with my GI issues. Last Sunday, it kept me from running any farther than 4 miles. My longest thus far is 8.5, and I'm really starting to worry that I won't make the full 13.1. :( And then yesterday, my heel really starting hurting, then into the middle of the sole of my foot. Then up my ankle and into my shin. And then the other. What the heck is this?? I tried icing last night and, although it felt great while I was icing, it really didn't help. I'm afraid to jump on the TM today. What would you do? I could really use the advice of the amazing women here. :goodvibes Ok.. and one more... I'm so sorry for this big vent. My friend who signed up with me has just told me that she's not sure she's going to run. She's still going with me, of course, but I think she's had so much going on that she hasn't trained enough to feel confident about the race. I love her dearly and really do look forward to having a girls' weekend with her, but I'm honestly sad. For me, this weekend is all about empowerment, about challenging yourself to do things you never thought you could do, and about supporting one another and lifting each other up. I originally signed up for this race on my own, so excited to do this for me and to meet other women doing it for themselves. When my friend decided to jump in with me, I was so happy at the thought of us doing this together, struggling through it but then doing it and celebrating after. I sound awful, I know... it's just a letdown at a time when I really need a partner, you know? Sorry for the vent... if you've read this, thank you. And if you have any words of wisdom, I'd so appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Princesses... princess::goodvibes
You will make it!! You have some challenges but sounds like you have been working on the base, even if you have to walk a lot.
As far as your feet, it can't hurt to check your socks and shoes and make sure you have the support you need.
And my friend who was running with me bailed so I have another friend staying with me but not running.
We need to figure out a meetup of solo runners - we can all use the support.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter