Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend looking to get a bib for the PHM....not intrested in going the charity route. anyone know of any travel agents or anything that still may have some? Thanks.

Congrats on Philly! That was my first half, and four half marathons later its still my favorite!

Thanks! It was my second and definitely my new favorite. There was always so much going on that never did I find myself going "Why do I do this to myself?!" at any point. Usually it happens at least once somewhere during the race. :rotfl2: Quickest 2 hours and 39 minutes of my life!! :thumbsup2 I can't wait for next year.

I have a garmin (the new 620) and I know it helps keep me focused. My DD ran her last race with a pace runner and she finally broke 2:30 for the half. I mostly kept with a 2:45 pace runner and it helped push a new PR for me. I still wouldn't run without my garmin, though. I didn't see any pace runners last year but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I'm hoping to see them this year. But remember pace runners won't be stopping for pictures.

Thanks MRS AR, and congrats to you and your DD on your PRs! I won't be stopping for pictures (hopefully not stopping at all) so a pace runner would be great for me. But I really appreciate the Garmin advice - I don't want to get too stressed about time, but it might help to know what I'm doing during my daily runs and at the race! Right now during races, I always feel like I'm going too slow until I get to a mile marker and find out that I'm on pace - I'd like to avoid that sinking feeling between mile markers, though! And maybe a garmin would help answer my question about estimated finish time and pace group (if any!)

First post here! Recovering from Wine and Dine. Ready to pick up my Tinkerbell and PHM training today! Had a severe back injury so I was only able to train for 4 weeks for wine and dine after having 6 weeks of NO activity at all! Hoping to do much better at these next two races! I have the 5 mile Turkey Trot next week at my high school. I will probably be the last one done at that since it is all former track stars, but a good way to get my Tues/Thurs workout over and done with with, then long run on Saturday!

For those of you who've done the PHM before, would you recommend the race retreat package? I'm doing the GSC (1st timer for PHM), and I know with W&D I was freezing waiting around the 2.5 hours before the race started. The climate control is the big draw for me, and I'd love to hear any opinions on whether it would be worth it or not to do the retreat package thing! Thanks!

For those of you who've done the PHM before, would you recommend the race retreat package? I'm doing the GSC (1st timer for PHM), and I know with W&D I was freezing waiting around the 2.5 hours before the race started. The climate control is the big draw for me, and I'd love to hear any opinions on whether it would be worth it or not to do the retreat package thing! Thanks!

If it's in your budget, I do recommend it, especially for first-timers! I did it this year for the same reason: climate control. Naturally, having paid for it, it wasn't needed for that at all, lol! What I still liked about it was having a set place to be before and after the race, private and fast bag check and porta-potties, and a full breakfast after the race. Do I need all of those things? No. And I didn't sign up for RR for the 2014 WDW Half for that reason. I did end up registering for RR for the PHM portion of GSC, though, because I know a second early morning will leave me tired and run-down; I'll be better off not worrying about food, potties, etc. that morning.

If it's in your budget, I do recommend it, especially for first-timers! I did it this year for the same reason: climate control. Naturally, having paid for it, it wasn't needed for that at all, lol! What I still liked about it was having a set place to be before and after the race, private and fast bag check and porta-potties, and a full breakfast after the race. Do I need all of those things? No. And I didn't sign up for RR for the 2014 WDW Half for that reason. I did end up registering for RR for the PHM portion of GSC, though, because I know a second early morning will leave me tired and run-down; I'll be better off not worrying about food, potties, etc. that morning.

Hi V! I will be at the race retreat too, for all the same reasons. :) Expensive, yes. But it's my first, and probably only, Glass Slipper Challenge. (I really want to diversify my running but that's what I said after the 2012 W&D so... :rotfl2:) Getting up at that hour is nearly impossible for me and doing it two days in a row has me more nervous than actually running 19.3 miles!

I use music during training as I run alone or on the TM. I, too, only use one earbud..in fact I actually cut off one.

After the first 3 miles, I find, for the most part, there are plenty of distractions on the disney course. I am also a talker and am not afraid to say something to other along the course...usually just an encouraging word.

thats nice to talk to others.......hope those people in Ireland were friendly on your trip

First post here! Recovering from Wine and Dine. Ready to pick up my Tinkerbell and PHM training today! Had a severe back injury so I was only able to train for 4 weeks for wine and dine after having 6 weeks of NO activity at all! Hoping to do much better at these next two races! I have the 5 mile Turkey Trot next week at my high school. I will probably be the last one done at that since it is all former track stars, but a good way to get my Tues/Thurs workout over and done with with, then long run on Saturday!

Welcome! It's a busy race season ahead for you - how fun!

Hi V! I will be at the race retreat too, for all the same reasons. :) Expensive, yes. But it's my first, and probably only, Glass Slipper Challenge. (I really want to diversify my running but that's what I said after the 2012 W&D so... :rotfl2:) Getting up at that hour is nearly impossible for me and doing it two days in a row has me more nervous than actually running 19.3 miles!

Yay - fellow race retreaters! This will be my first PHM, and I'll be at the race retreat! I can't speak from any previous experience, but the climate control and a place to be (as I'm running this one on my own) sound good to me. I also like the extra bathrooms, place to change after the race and food (both before and after.) I plan to arrive as early as possible, so that I don't have to worry about being late and have plenty of time for a snack. Afterwards, I plan to grab my bag, change, get my breakfast and meet my family outside of the tent.

Hiya Figment! :) Oh yeah, I have serious concerns about my brain activity after 2 early races lol!

I plan to arrive as early as possible, so that I don't have to worry about being late and have plenty of time for .

Yep yep yep - I was glad I was there plenty early this year. By the time I'd eaten, bag checked, pottied and stretched, it was time to go to the corrals!

My training group did seven today! The last time I did this mileage was the day I got injured. Happy to report I finished strong, and within my goal time for the training run! Now if only the wind hasn't decided to be coming at me both out AND back..... Brrrr!!!

My training group did seven today! The last time I did this mileage was the day I got injured. Happy to report I finished strong, and within my goal time for the training run! Now if only the wind hasn't decided to be coming at me both out AND back..... Brrrr!!!

Way to go!! Nothing like a good training run to get you powered up. Encouraging to here that it was injury free!!
Defintely getting windy and cold here. I need to pull out my cold weather gear for the days ahead.

I'm so glad you posted this! I am a 'walker' too but decided against the Princess half this year bc I wasn't sure others would be walking. We pace about the same as you. Most of our 5k times have been around 45 min. I walked my first 10k in April and was almost able to keep that pace the whole time, however I'm not sure I could've kept it up for another 3-4 miles? I'm glad to know its do-able and I wouldn't be the only walker!

You should soooooo do the PHM as a walker. With more training you could easily do the 13.1 with your current pace or better....like some of the others have said many walkers pace is faster than their run pace.

You should soooooo do the PHM as a walker. With more training you could easily do the 13.1 with your current pace or better....like some of the others have said many walkers pace is faster than their run pace.

Aw! Thanks for the encouragement!! My fear is that I wouldn't be able to really enjoy it because my pace would just barely beat the balloon ladies. I would feel like I couldn't stop for water or pictures or anything because my pace would just meet the 15 min mile.....if I'm lucky! Ha!

Anyone know if they are sweeping the 10k? If so, what pace?

I think all the rD races have a 16 minute mile requirement. As far as sweeping goes, the 5k information says they'll sweep that (even if, from what I've heard, they don't generally), so I'm sure any literature out would say that they are, and of course there's no prior year experience to back it up or not.

My dh and I ran/walked 8 miles today! That is the farthest that I have gone so far. I felt pretty good and I had an average 13 minute mile. But gosh, it seemed far!
Next weekend we are taking a shorter run and the week after that we will go for 9 miles!

Aw! Thanks for the encouragement!! My fear is that I wouldn't be able to really enjoy it because my pace would just barely beat the balloon ladies. I would feel like I couldn't stop for water or pictures or anything because my pace would just meet the 15 min mile.....if I'm lucky! Ha!

From what I understand, the balloon ladies walk at a 16 minute pace starting when the very last runner crosses the starting line. I bet if you started at the front of the last corral and kept a 15 minute mile you would have more than enough time to enjoy yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter