Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE DO MOT TRAIN IN SNEAKERS THAT ARE PAST THEIR PRIME! Learn from my mistake...I too didn't want to "spend so much money right now" on new sneakers...so instead I have spent the last 8 weeks sidelined healing from a stress fracture in my right heel. I am now starting a minimum of three weeks physical therapy before I can even think of beginning to train again- that only gives me approx 12 weeks to get ready for the GSC at the end of February- I'm not sure I'll make it all because I didn't want to "spend the money for new sneakers" PS all the money I've spent on DR. Appts and PT could have kept me in new sneakers for YEARS and without PAIN...PLEASE GO GET YOURSELF NEW SNEAKERS RIGHT NOW!!

For all of us turtles... Just think of it as getting your money worth because u spent more time on the course ;)

PLEASE DO MOT TRAIN IN SNEAKERS THAT ARE PAST THEIR PRIME! Learn from my mistake...I too didn't want to "spend so much money right now" on new sneakers...so instead I have spent the last 8 weeks sidelined healing from a stress fracture in my right heel. I am now starting a minimum of three weeks physical therapy before I can even think of beginning to train again- that only gives me approx 12 weeks to get ready for the GSC at the end of February- I'm not sure I'll make it all because I didn't want to "spend the money for new sneakers" PS all the money I've spent on DR. Appts and PT could have kept me in new sneakers for YEARS and without PAIN...PLEASE GO GET YOURSELF NEW SNEAKERS RIGHT NOW!!

^ Yes, yes, yes! Also, the right shoe isn't automatically an expensive cost; first step is figuring out just what your best shoe is, but then look around for sales, coupons, 'Net specials... I just got my normally $100 shoes on sale for $65!

That said, I'm so sorry, Dreamer. That just plain sucks for you. Crossing fingers you heal quickly and can still enjoy GSC!

I posted this on the tink site too.

Doing the Rock n roll vegas tonight and at the expo there were Tink spots available. Tons of people were lined up to sign. They had the medals out for Tink, 10k as well as all the princess, 10k, GSC, pink coast 2 coast........omg. Honestly all of them were way better in person. The new tink one looks much bigger to me.....? Not sure if it is. The pink c2c is amazing!!

Yes! And agreed! I spent the initial money on my running shoes but now find the same pair at running warehouse and other Internet company for 45 or less. Shoe manufactures often out out new models and later versions but I find my same model discounted. I do not wear mine past their prime. A tale tale sign they are worn out is hip or knee pain during a run.
Lets all try to stay healthy and injury free for the next 3.5 months!!!

^ Yes, yes, yes! Also, the right shoe isn't automatically an expensive cost; first step is figuring out just what your best shoe is, but then look around for sales, coupons, 'Net specials... I just got my normally $100 shoes on sale for $65!

That said, I'm so sorry, Dreamer. That just plain sucks for you. Crossing fingers you heal quickly and can still enjoy GSC!

be careful buying last year's models from big box shoe companies/large web online retailers. Shoes don't have an unlimited shelf life - if they sit around long enough, the support can start to break down, which can give you an injury as well.

Also, don't "assume" you can always get 500 miles out of your shoes. Depending on your gait, it can be much, much less. I usually get around 300 miles from my shoes, unless its really hot (sweat) or really rainy/snowy and my shoes more wet - then it's less. You can start to feel when the shoes start to wear out. Usually if I have an unfamiliar ache, and I have enough miles on my shoes, the shoes end up being the culprit

I've only been running since may. I wore out my first pair by the end of summer, bought a pair that didn't work, and now am on a third pair. It's worth it to not hate my runs!

be careful buying last year's models from big box shoe companies/large web online retailers. Shoes don't have an unlimited shelf life - if they sit around long enough, the support can start to break down, which can give you an injury as well.

Also, don't "assume" you can always get 500 miles out of your shoes. Depending on your gait, it can be much, much less. I usually get around 300 miles from my shoes, unless its really hot (sweat) or really rainy/snowy and my shoes more wet - then it's less. You can start to feel when the shoes start to wear out. Usually if I have an unfamiliar ache, and I have enough miles on my shoes, the shoes end up being the culprit

Forget 500 - I only get about 250 useful miles out of my PureFlows! Hate that, but they're the best shoes for me. I shop Road Runner Sports, Running Warehouse and Brooks direct; haven't had a bad pair of shoes yet, regardless of price or year.

ok, so when i committed my self to run this ( back in April) I read tons about it on line...a lot said that there were too many walkers, not a serious race....blah blah blah....no big deal.... I am not a "serious runner"...All new to this.. Doing galloway...have gotten up to 8 miles. As of sunday I raced in 4 5ks and a 10k. All had runners and walkers. and I enjoyed all.
Well, yesterday I ran the color run....I really disliked it. People were smoking cigarettes in line to start. Hardly anyone was running. People were pulling wagons with kids ( not even jogging strollers). not to mention getting dirty and inhaling cornstarch isn't for me.
Has anyone run both the princess and the color run. Is the color run less serious? I would think so b/c 13.1 is still a pretty far distance....
I am contemplating registering for another half after the princess just to see how i can do in a half w/o stopping for pics, etc. Maybe that way I'll be better able to just "go w/ the flow" at the PHM. thoughts? Thanks.

ok, so when i committed my self to run this ( back in April) I read tons about it on line...a lot said that there were too many walkers, not a serious race....blah blah blah....no big deal.... I am not a "serious runner"...All new to this.. Doing galloway...have gotten up to 8 miles. As of sunday I raced in 4 5ks and a 10k. All had runners and walkers. and I enjoyed all.
Well, yesterday I ran the color run....I really disliked it. People were smoking cigarettes in line to start. Hardly anyone was running. People were pulling wagons with kids ( not even jogging strollers). not to mention getting dirty and inhaling cornstarch isn't for me.
Has anyone run both the princess and the color run. Is the color run less serious? I would think so b/c 13.1 is still a pretty far distance....
I am contemplating registering for another half after the princess just to see how i can do in a half w/o stopping for pics, etc. Maybe that way I'll be better able to just "go w/ the flow" at the PHM. thoughts? Thanks.

I have never run a color run, but don't think I would like the mess.
I am not a serious runner, but have done all 5 princess races and have done fine. If you have corral placement then you should be fine, but you will be slower if you stop for photos and I would suggest you do. If you want a "race" then look for something a few weeks after the princess and go for it. Smaller race, less traffic, no photos ops :( and you could probable do pretty well.

I have never run a color run, but don't think I would like the mess.
I am not a serious runner, but have done all 5 princess races and have done fine. If you have corral placement then you should be fine, but you will be slower if you stop for photos and I would suggest you do. If you want a "race" then look for something a few weeks after the princess and go for it. Smaller race, less traffic, no photos ops :( and you could probable do pretty well.

I totally agree with joan4mickey. I haven't done a Color Run, either, but none of the Disney races I've run have been like what you describe. I'm not a fast runner and haven't had any tremendous issues with walkers on the Disney courses. Unless you're in the very front corrals, you'll likely encounter congestion in spots where the course narrows, but much of PHM is run on wide roads with lots of room to spread out.

At the same time, I don't recommend going into a Disney race looking for a PR. It's possible, but not probable. I don't stop for pics because I'm just not into that, but still haven't hit a race pace faster than what I'm able to do in training.

I have yet to do Princess (2014 will be my first time) but I have done a color run and it was the most casual 5k I've ever been too. There were tons of walkers and a lot of people who seemed like they got up off their couch and decided to run for the first time that morning. The race wasn't even timed! I'm not anticipating Disney one anything like that! It sounds to me like even people who walk have trained for Princess because they want to have this Disney experience.

Hi everyone! I'm one of those dreaded Disney Walkers....I have done it twice 2014 will be my THIRD race. I have trained to the best of my ability for each race. I stay as far to the right as possible the entire race. I walk about a 14min mile and feel every bit entitled to be there as any runner- I sincerely hope we can ALL relax and enjoy the race for what it is - FUN! There is room for everyone! Maybe someday Disney will either make a separate race or start time for us walkers but until then let's just ALL BE KIND AND ACCEPTING - After all that's what makes a TRUE PRINCESS! Can't wait to see everyone (Now just send some Pixie Dust my way to heal the stress fracture in my right heel ASAP!❤️) Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm one of those dreaded Disney Walkers....I have done it twice 2014 will be my THIRD race. I have trained to the best of my ability for each race. I stay as far to the right as possible the entire race. I walk about a 14min mile and feel every bit entitled to be there as any runner- I sincerely hope we can ALL relax and enjoy the race for what it is - FUN! There is room for everyone! Maybe someday Disney will either make a separate race or start time for us walkers but until then let's just ALL BE KIND AND ACCEPTING - After all that's what makes a TRUE PRINCESS! Can't wait to see everyone (Now just send some Pixie Dust my way to heal the stress fracture in my right heel ASAP!❤️) Thanks!

This is where correct corral placement come into play. Those speedy gals are out front then come the slower runners followed by the fast walkers and then the slower walkers. Everyone gets to enjoy as all the groups travel around the course with matched paces and faster ones are gone like the wind and the rest just follow along.And for those run /walkers it is important when you get ready for your walk cycle too just move to either side and slow.
And I know many of us love our music but on such a busy course it can hinder when trying to pass. I leave mine at home and enjoy the experience and I would encourage other to leave the music and phone at "home".

Can't believe it is sunny and 75 outside today..at least where I live. I got a nice surprise outside run in this morning.

I agree about correct coral placement, but what about those of us who have a time that places us in a decent coral, then gets injured...now may not be as fast - should they give up their spot and voluntarily move back and risk not having enough time to finish?

I agree about correct coral placement, but what about those of us who have a time that places us in a decent coral, then gets injured...now may not be as fast - should they give up their spot and voluntarily move back and risk not having enough time to finish?

Personally I would just keep my corral...how many others that have mishaps..injury, illness...can there be. I don't believe it would screw up flow. That's just my opinion. One year my daughter and I were throwing up on Saturday, got up at 3am felt good..got in our corral, did fine for about 3 miles and then fell further and further behind our corral place time. I never felt in the way of other runners....and we did finish.

I wasn't talking about the regular walkers so much as the cigarette smoking, 2 year olds walking, etc...it was just not fun to me to be around no effort at all by many!

I wasn't talking about the regular walkers so much as the cigarette smoking, 2 year olds walking, etc...it was just not fun to me to be around no effort at all by many!

You will see a good many of the 20000 princess run/walkers have made an effort. Always a few that just don't get that 13 miles is a good distance. But I have never seen anyone smoking (although the full marathon goes right past the smoking area outside of HS..horrible) and no little kids. They have special races for the children.
Honestly, I can't believe that they allow smoking at a color run...they just don't go together, IMO.

Hello princess runners! I have a question related to corral placement - a little different from Dreamer's question, but the general topic made me think I should ask. A friend of mine who runs half marathons advised a conservative finish time estimate. So when I plug my recent quarter marathon time into a calculator, I get an estimated half marathon finish time of 1:49:47. But I'm not certain whether I can keep my quarter pace for a half marathon in warm weather, so for corral placement, I estimated my finish time at 2:00. Now I'm wondering which pacer to follow - 1:50? 1:55? 2:00? Or should I change my estimated finish time?

Hello princess runners! I have a question related to corral placement - a little different from Dreamer's question, but the general topic made me think I should ask. A friend of mine who runs half marathons advised a conservative finish time estimate. So when I plug my recent quarter marathon time into a calculator, I get an estimated half marathon finish time of 1:49:47. But I'm not certain whether I can keep my quarter pace for a half marathon in warm weather, so for corral placement, I estimated my finish time at 2:00. Now I'm wondering which pacer to follow - 1:50? 1:55? 2:00? Or should I change my estimated finish time?

Not a 100% sure but I think all those pace group were in corral A last year. If we had pace groups...did we have pace groups? Pretty sure all sub 2 hour estimates were in corral A

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter