• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't allow bib transfers except for the registrant to another disney race. Maybe try a travel agent?

This is exactly what happened to me. I knew I couldn't purchase a bib from another person, but I wanted to run the WDW Half Marathon and PHM very badly. First, I looked into charity teams, but despite being for a good cause, it was just too out of budget. Then, I heard about the recommended travel providers that sell runDisney race registrations. On the runDisney website, if you click travel providers, it will show you their recommended travel agents to book a race through. I had to work with two different travel providers. One had WDW Half Marathon availability and the other had PHM availability. GET Travel is the one I booked my WDW Half through. They required either a 3 night resort stay and/or park tickets purchased to sell you the race registration, but they were very good with confirmation and providing information. I booked my PHM through another travel provider listed on the runDisney site, but had a HORRIBLE experience with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. You can PM me if you need to know who it was, but they're out of PHM registrations as of now anyway.

Good luck finding a race registration through a travel agent!

Shin splints are quickly becoming the bane of my existence! Anyone have any hints, tips, recommendations to help alleviate the pain? I've been icing, switched my shoes already after analysis at our local running shop, stretching....

I was doing great for months. Then as my longer runs got longer (9 miles was my last), my shins started screaming. :( I've taken time off, but they come right back when I resume my training. I was doing so well! Now I'm just frustrated and starting to seriously doubt my ability to finish this race. :(

Shin splints are quickly becoming the bane of my existence! Anyone have any hints, tips, recommendations to help alleviate the pain? I've been icing, switched my shoes already after analysis at our local running shop, stretching....

I was doing great for months. Then as my longer runs got longer (9 miles was my last), my shins started screaming. :( I've taken time off, but they come right back when I resume my training. I was doing so well! Now I'm just frustrated and starting to seriously doubt my ability to finish this race. :(

No advice for shin splints but I'm having trouble with my hips as my mileage has gone up-- and my longest run was just 7.5 miles! I'm 63, still a few pounds overweight and wondering if there isn't, for me, a limit on how far I can push running. It takes me over 1.5 hours to run that far and I'm wondering if the sheer amount of time it takes me to run isn't a factor.

Neesy228 said:

Hi! sorry you are having so much pain and frustration. Two questions for you: what is your training plan like and what did the runnng store put you in?

My experience w shin splints was twofold. First, it happened more frequently when I added too much mileage too quickly. I'm not a very high weekly mileage runner as it is but I approached this years training differently than last and I think it helped. Instead of doing every other week a cutback week like on the Galloway plans, in the early weeks I built up 1 mile a week to my long runs for 3 weeks and then a cut back week. I did not jump 1.5 miles every other week after that either, just 1 mile. That helped a lot. I tried to keep my increases to 10% minimum in the early weeks and then to 10% over the two week time in the later weeks (I just finished wine and dine, that's why the past tense).

Second thing for me is that my running store people kept putting me in a heavy stability shoe. And that just kept making it worse. I finally found a shoe that was some support but not a huge mid foot shank and that made a huge difference. My shin splints really went away after that. So even tho they are the "experts" make sure that the shoes feel right. You might want to play around with this because its not always "if a, then b" straightforward. Run in them and if they don't feel comfortable- take them back. I also go against the grain and buy mine from a "big box" athletic store. I research all the specs online (now that I have a starting point of what works for me in terms of heel drop, stability, profile height, cushioning, etc) and then I literally spend hours at the store trying on different shoes, running down their little "track" and then finally on their treadmill. I don't feel the pressure of listening to the experts or the rushed feeling like at the running stores. But that's just my experience.... YMMV.

Good luck to you. You can do this! Hang in there. In the meantime, roll out your calves w a ball or stick or massager and ice.

Shin splints are quickly becoming the bane of my existence! Anyone have any hints, tips, recommendations to help alleviate the pain? I've been icing, switched my shoes already after analysis at our local running shop, stretching.... I was doing great for months. Then as my longer runs got longer (9 miles was my last), my shins started screaming. :( I've taken time off, but they come right back when I resume my training. I was doing so well! Now I'm just frustrated and starting to seriously doubt my ability to finish this race. :(
Have you tried compression calf sleeves? I mostly train on trails but use them in any hard surface running and races.

Have you tried compression calf sleeves? I mostly train on trails but use them in any hard surface running and races.

I am a fellow calf and shin splint sufferer. I wear compression sleeves on anything more than 6 miles, I too have ditched the heavy stability shoe and went for a more minimalist. Not vibrams but a lighter neutral shoe (saucony minimalist) and I ice and foam roll regularly. Calfs, shins, hips keeping my legs as loose as possible. I was told having tight hip flexors and glutes causes all the lower leg and IT band issues.

It's usually a factor of too many miles too quickly or shoes that need replacement/ or are not correct for your gait. There is a third, hard tissue issue that is common in longer distance folks. I would suggest heading to a doc and let them take a hands on look if this has gone on for a month or so.

Second thing for me is that my running store people kept putting me in a heavy stability shoe. And that just kept making it worse. I finally found a shoe that was some support but not a huge mid foot shank and that made a huge difference. My shin splints really went away after that. So even tho they are the "experts" make sure that the shoes feel right. You might want to play around with this because its not always "if a, then b" straightforward. Run in them and if they don't feel comfortable- take them back. I also go against the grain and buy mine from a "big box" athletic store. I research all the specs online (now that I have a starting point of what works for me in terms of heel drop, stability, profile height, cushioning, etc) and then I literally spend hours at the store trying on different shoes, running down their little "track" and then finally on their treadmill. I don't feel the pressure of listening to the experts or the rushed feeling like at the running stores. But that's just my experience.... YMMV.

... I too have ditched the heavy stability shoe and went for a more minimalist. Not vibrams but a lighter neutral shoe (saucony minimalist) and I ice and foam roll regularly. Calfs, shins, hips keeping my legs as loose as possible. I was told having tight hip flexors and glutes causes all the lower leg and IT band issues.

^ +1. I suffered a monumental case of ITBS and shin splints in the big-heeled stability shoes the "experts" always want to put me into. Both were fixed by switching to shoes that are better for my feet, gait, stride and lifestyle: Brooks PureFlow and Mizuno Wave Evo Cursoris. In addition, I used trigger point therapy for the shin splints and they were better within 2 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Add me to the list of more miles = more pain, though. :sad: My hip was pretty sore after TOT, but felt great after a week off and ever since... until this weekend. I could feel that my right lower back/hip was out of whack when I woke up and tried everything I know to stretch, warm and pop it back into place; no dice. I ran my 8.5 miles and was fine until the last mile or so - that hurt. Felt better the next morning, so I went ahead with my first GSC back-to-back and did an easy 2 miles... fine until the last 1/4 mile. Yesterday, my outer hip and SI Joint are were both inflamed and sore - saw my chiro, who got my parts back into place, and now I'm just waiting for the overworked tissue to calm down. Taking today off and I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Hang in there everyone, and take good care of those bodies! I can attest that time off is not as bad as it seems - after almost 3 weeks off right before TOT, I felt great for the race. :thumbsup2

Shin splint pain...I see my Chiro (as long as I'm seeng one who had the extra training in non spinal joint manipulation....if mine didn't I'd find an osteopath who still manipulates joints) and he notices that my knee joints are out of alignment, puts them back into alignment, and no more him splint pain. He also checks my feet from ankles to toes. Helps quite a bit! Along with adjusting my spine and hips a needed of course.

I first found chiropractic as a teen with horrid shin splints from running and high impact, 80s style, aerobics. One knee joint manipulation on each side and my world was changed!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input. You've got me wondering about my shoes (again) now! I guess I will do more research and spend some time trying other options. I will also look into the compression sleeves.

I did visit my dr. When the pain started and she gave me some stretching suggestions and said rest. Not super helpful, unfortunately. I'm struggling to find the happy medium between further injury and forward progress, and these thoughts and suggestions give me some things to explore! Thank you! :)

We still have a lot of time before the miles need to be ramped up. I know it seems like it's almost time but really we do have lots of time. Every time Jeff Galloway speaks at a running expo, I try to catch him. He talks alot about being conservative and the first time goal should always be to finish. Easier said than done but the more I run/walk the more this is being true. If you're not some super jock type speedy Gonzalez then conservative training will get you to the finish line enjoyable and injury free!

Question for those in cold weather areas.
What kind of socks are you wearing? My toes are constantly cold, but I don't want to use the foot warmers because I know those get pretty hot.

I usually wear Balega ultra light socks.

Any suggestions?

What kind of socks are you wearing? My toes are constantly cold, but I don't want to use the foot warmers because I know those get pretty hot.

I usually wear Balega ultra light socks.

Any suggestions?

I wear Smart Wool toe socks in both the summer and winter and they work pretty well. I think having the fabric around each individual toe helps keep them a little warmer (I wear them to prevent blisters).

Question for those in cold weather areas. What kind of socks are you wearing? My toes are constantly cold, but I don't want to use the foot warmers because I know those get pretty hot. I usually wear Balega ultra light socks. Any suggestions?

I usually layer 2 pairs of thin socks. Perhaps try a regular cotton pair on top of your light socks?

I've never tried it while running, but when I work outside I use those footwarmers and put them over my toes, between the 2 pairs of socks and they keep me warm but not burning. Not sure how this would work with sneakers vs winter boots and while running though.

Can anyone give some insight on some IT band stretches they like? I've tried the one where you stand, cross your legs and push your hip to the side and the one where you lay down and stretch one leg up in the air and then over to the side. and neither of those are really doing it for me.

Anyone know of anything different?

I did visit my dr. When the pain started and she gave me some stretching suggestions and said rest. Not super helpful, unfortunately. I'm struggling to find the happy medium between further injury and forward progress, and these thoughts and suggestions give me some things to explore! Thank you! :)
Trust me, I know the feeling - what we'd really like is some magical pill/stretch/therapy that makes a quick fix! But rest is almost always the #1 answer to pain. Think of it this way: when things start hurting, it's usually due to inflammation. So before you can get to work correcting whatever was causing the pain in the first place, you have to allow the inflammation to subside, or you'll get nowhere. (Says she who darn-near cried over not running yesterday and is wondering if she can at least do some upper-body work today instead of running... ;) )

What kind of socks are you wearing?
Okay, I'm in FL, so not true cold weather... but it does get chilly down here and I'm acclimated to temps in the 90s; my digits get COLD in cooler weather! I swear by Smart Wool. I wear them year-round; in hot weather, they wick sweat and are the only remotely dry articles of clothing on me at the end of a run, and in cool weather they keep my toes nice and warm. :thumbsup2

Can anyone give some insight on some IT band stretches they like? I've tried the one where you stand, cross your legs and push your hip to the side and the one where you lay down and stretch one leg up in the air and then over to the side. and neither of those are really doing it for me.

Anyone know of anything different?
Are you doing this one?
images

Or the standing variation:
images

That's the one I find does the most for me - but only in addition to serious foam rolling. And if things are really tight, I go to a wooden rolling pin and.or a deep tissue massager. I roll/massage first, then stretch.

Thanks for the tips on socks. I am headed out this afternoon to hunt for something.
I may buy a few different brands and try to double up. I'll just have to experiment a little on the shorter runs.

I will be a solo runner this year. My running partner could not pull off another Dis trip this upcoming year.
I would agree going to a shoe store and getting fitted. A good and well fitting shoe should be comfortable and road ready. No breaking in period needed. I just had to get refitted because of my last pregnancy my foot got wider so my other running shoes couldn't even work. Welcome and glad you are jumping into this thread. These ladies are a wealth of information!

I am glad I won't be alone ;) And thank you for the advice. Within last 3 months I bought 4 pair of sneakers and they were terrible. So like you girls said, I went to the store 3 days ago and asked for help. I've got my best shoes :banana:

This is exactly what happened to me. I knew I couldn't purchase a bib from another person, but I wanted to run the WDW Half Marathon and PHM very badly. First, I looked into charity teams, but despite being for a good cause, it was just too out of budget. Then, I heard about the recommended travel providers that sell runDisney race registrations. On the runDisney website, if you click travel providers, it will show you their recommended travel agents to book a race through. I had to work with two different travel providers. One had WDW Half Marathon availability and the other had PHM availability. GET Travel is the one I booked my WDW Half through. They required either a 3 night resort stay and/or park tickets purchased to sell you the race registration, but they were very good with confirmation and providing information. I booked my PHM through another travel provider listed on the runDisney site, but had a HORRIBLE experience with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. You can PM me if you need to know who it was, but they're out of PHM registrations as of now anyway.
Good luck finding a race registration through a travel agent!
Thank you so much for the advice, I will check out GET Travel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter