Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started running in May and this will be my first Disney race weekend-- I've done three local 5ks and would love to find a 10 k. The only one I've seen recently here was running the bridge between Philly and NJ but they said they'd sweep you if you didn't make it in 1.5 hours, and I was afraid I'd be right on the edge, so I didn't do it.

I'm just not a real princessy type, so didn't want to go all frou-frou--besides being over 60, I'm slow, around 14-15 minute/mile -- so I had a lime green tech shirt custom made that reads "One step ahead... of the balloon ladies!" with balloons on it.

I'll probably wear to both the 5k and the 10 k. I'm not doing the half--couldn't get in.:sad1: Waited too long to register.

In addition to the shirt, I ordered a Sparkle skirt in light green with lot of little sparkly things on it. Pricy, but they get very high ratings for comfort. I might wear one of my compression sock pairs -- I have yellow ones and white ones-- or buy a -pair that says, "I can fly!" I love Peter Pan-- one of my favorite shows as a kid. With Mary Martin, for any of you that go back that far.

Doubt if I'll need arm warmers if it's 50-- I ran this morning in NJ in a long sleeve shirt and Nike sweat shirt and it was 27 degrees. I was fine. Might bring a pair in case it's colder.

This is all SO much fun! I've lost 50 pounds in the last 15 months and I really love running, even though I stink at it lol.

And I'll be alone for the runs, too-- we own DVC but are maxed out on points. DH and I will be there in May and DD and DGD and I will be there in April, so I'm good with a solo trip--even though I've never done one!

You are not slow.... My 4.79 miles today averaged 14:09 or something like that. It's not about being fast, it's about getting out there.

I just started running in May and this will be my first Disney race weekend-- I've done three local 5ks and would love to find a 10 k. The only one I've seen recently here was running the bridge between Philly and NJ but they said they'd sweep you if you didn't make it in 1.5 hours, and I was afraid I'd be right on the edge, so I didn't do it.

I'm just not a real princessy type, so didn't want to go all frou-frou--besides being over 60, I'm slow, around 14-15 minute/mile -- so I had a lime green tech shirt custom made that reads "One step ahead... of the balloon ladies!" with balloons on it.

I'll probably wear to both the 5k and the 10 k. I'm not doing the half--couldn't get in.:sad1: Waited too long to register.

In addition to the shirt, I ordered a Sparkle skirt in light green with lot of little sparkly things on it. Pricy, but they get very high ratings for comfort. I might wear one of my compression sock pairs -- I have yellow ones and white ones-- or buy a -pair that says, "I can fly!" I love Peter Pan-- one of my favorite shows as a kid. With Mary Martin, for any of you that go back that far.

Doubt if I'll need arm warmers if it's 50-- I ran this morning in NJ in a long sleeve shirt and Nike sweat shirt and it was 27 degrees. I was fine. Might bring a pair in case it's colder.

This is all SO much fun! I've lost 50 pounds in the last 15 months and I really love running, even though I stink at it lol.

And I'll be alone for the runs, too-- we own DVC but are maxed out on points. DH and I will be there in May and DD and DGD and I will be there in April, so I'm good with a solo trip--even though I've never done one!

You sound so much like me! I began running in May using the C25k program. I've run 3 local 5 k races and have lost 53 lbs in the past 15 months! This is my first Disney race too! Although I'm only registered for the 10k, I've been toying with the idea of going for the 5k too! I've been training with the 10k for pink training app...I have two weeks left an am currently running 5.5 miles three times a week. I sometimes can't believe that this is actually me doing all of this running! It's been a lifelong dream of mine that I'm finally accomplishing and I'm over the moon! Good luck with your training and have fun! Btw, your costume sounds cute! I have no idea what I'm wearing yet!

You sound so much like me! I began running in May using the C25k program. I've run 3 local 5 k races and have lost 53 lbs in the past 15 months! This is my first Disney race too! Although I'm only registered for the 10k, I've been toying with the idea of going for the 5k too! I've been training with the 10k for pink training app...I have two weeks left an am currently running 5.5 miles three times a week. I sometimes can't believe that this is actually me doing all of this running! It's been a lifelong dream of mine that I'm finally accomplishing and I'm over the moon! Good luck with your training and have fun! Btw, your costume sounds cute! I have no idea what I'm wearing yet!

I just decided to add on the 5k the other day, for a couple of reasons. I'm hoping to reduce butterflies for the 10k by doing the 5k the day before--I'll have a better idea of what to expect, and since it's not timed, I won't be nervous about stopping for character pics, etc. Plus then I'll be on the "getting up at 0 dark-thirty" schedule.

I'll post pictures when I get the shirt.

I would suggest trying it on a training run! I used to run at a 3:1, and my pace was much slower. I also took longer to recover and enjoyed it less!

Thanks! At this point I know where I am at with my time so if it does not improve I can just go back to before. :)

Today's 10k was WINDY (25-30 mph) but I now have the time I was looking for to submit to RD for corral placement. Now on with the half training. I must say, I am rather looking forward to running my LR at a slightly slower pace. I think the 10k plan took a lot out of my legs.

Today's 10k was WINDY (25-30 mph) but I now have the time I was looking for to submit to RD for corral placement. Now on with the half training. I must say, I am rather looking forward to running my LR at a slightly slower pace. I think the 10k plan took a lot out of my legs.

I felt just like this after I finished my 10K last week! I worked hard to get my speed up and really pushed during the race (with a 4 minute PR, btw! WOOT!) and was on cloud 9 about submitting a better time to RDisney than my previous 10K but completely relieved that I can just focus on slower and longer now and not speed! :goodvibes

Ladies...how's the outfit planning going...I had found a beautiful Belle tutu on etsy but I think I would find all that net annoying...anyone any experience. Also I was thinking of getting a Minnie running skirt and matching sleeves and ears...any ideas on where to try for this

Hi,
:wave2:
I wore a Queen of Hearts tutu for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and it wasn't annoying at all to actually race in. I liked it because of how lightweight and fluffy the tulle is and how girly I felt, of course. The only problem with tutus is that since they are big and fluffy, it actually was super annoying to wear inside a port-a-potty. I kept being afraid it was going to touch something inside the hole or on the seat. Each time, I tried to pull the tutu up to my chest just to be safe. Other than that, it was a lot of fun and I think personally, I still prefer a tutu over a skirt.

Hi, :wave2: I wore a Queen of Hearts tutu for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and it wasn't annoying at all to actually race in. I liked it because of how lightweight and fluffy the tulle is and how girly I felt, of course. The only problem with tutus is that since they are big and fluffy, it actually was super annoying to wear inside a port-a-potty. I kept being afraid it was going to touch something inside the hole or on the seat. Each time, I tried to pull the tutu up to my chest just to be safe. Other than that, it was a lot of fun and I think personally, I still prefer a tutu over a skirt.
I love the QOH tutu! Did you buy it from someone on Etsy?

Does anybody remember what kind of foods they have in the Race Retreat tent before the run? It would be nice if I could get up and out of my room quickly in the morning without waking up my son and my husband, so having breakfast when I get to the Race Retreat tent would be nice. Right now, I have oatmeal and some fruit an hour before my long runs but thought I'd find out what will actually be in the race retreat tent so I can practice that a bit too.

Thanks!
- Jessica

I have pics from race retreat with me and my my pre-race banana, peanut butter, coffee and some power ade. believe they also had bagels, oranges, juice, water. It don't remember milk or seeing yogurt but doesn't mean it wasn't there !;). DH and I simply loved race retreat...

Those looking for running skirts could check out SewKrazy running skirts. She is on Facebook as well as Etsy. I ordered 3 skirts. They are great quality!

I'm not sure when it became available, but tonight I logged on to MDE to look at some package balance stuff and I had the option to customize our MagicBands available! :banana: Still no FP+ ressies available, but I can see what the process will look like when our 60 days come around. I am so excited!! :cheer2:

Those looking for running skirts could check out SewKrazy running skirts. She is on Facebook as well as Etsy. I ordered 3 skirts. They are great quality!

They're really cute-- many of the same fabrics as the Sparkle skirts but without the shorts underneath, which cuts down the cost.

Running is a very expensive hobby lol.

I'm not sure when it became available, but tonight I logged on to MDE to look at some package balance stuff and I had the option to customize our MagicBands available! :banana: Still no FP+ ressies available, but I can see what the process will look like when our 60 days come around. I am so excited!! :cheer2:

Thanks for the heads up. I just customized mine to WISH green....well, close to it.

Hi! I would love to run the Princess Half, but know it sold out very quickly. Do any of you know if there is a place where people are selling their race bibs because they no longer plan to run? I ran the Tower of Terror ten miler last month, and now I have the Run Disney bug :). Thanks for your help!

Hi! I would love to run the Princess Half, but know it sold out very quickly. Do any of you know if there is a place where people are selling their race bibs because they no longer plan to run? I ran the Tower of Terror ten miler last month, and now I have the Run Disney bug :). Thanks for your help!

They don't allow bib transfers except for the registrant to another disney race. Maybe try a travel agent?

I signed up last week through Acclaim travel but only for the 100k. The had no slots left for the half. The 5k isn't sold out yet, you could do both of those. That's what I'm doing.

I know if you want you can join a charity group. I join one for the 10k race in Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter