Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All summer I trained at a 1:1 despite my magic mile suggesting 30:30. I was slowest in my group, it was really hard and not so much fun, and I got injured. Now I train at 30:30 and my short runs Are much faster and my long runs are easier. If you take a break before you are tired then u will spend all your running time being strong and fast vs slowing down and having to spend a long time recovering.

Hi everyone! Been seeing photos from the wine and dine meet up last night and I want in for the Princess half. Does anyone remember when it opened last year so I can stalk the Disney blog?

Hi everyone! Been seeing photos from the wine and dine meet up last night and I want in for the Princess half. Does anyone remember when it opened last year so I can stalk the Disney blog?

Don't know when it opened, but my suggestion is Twitter. Since they do it first come/first serve, you have to see it and respond immediately or else you're SOL. I'm not sure if the people who got in followed the RunDisney feed or the WDW feed.

All summer I trained at a 1:1 despite my magic mile suggesting 30:30. I was slowest in my group, it was really hard and not so much fun, and I got injured. Now I train at 30:30 and my short runs Are much faster and my long runs are easier. If you take a break before you are tired then u will spend all your running time being strong and fast vs slowing down and having to spend a long time recovering.

YES to all if this!! I didn't get injured, I was exhausted all the time. My runs were difficult to complete and I was miserable a lot. With the shorter intervals I feel so much better during and after my runs.
Lessons learned? Running should be challenging, but not so difficult. Don't be stubborn. Try new things.

PS If you haven't read any of Jeff Galloway's books, he explains it pretty well. Someone at my run a couple weeks ago said that Jeff himself runs short intervals for all his distance races. He has run with her when he visits our groups here in Atlanta, so I trust the info.

I heard an episode of the Mickey Miles podcast with Jeff Galloway and did an experiment. I have been running 1:1 run/walk, and have been averaging between 12.5 and 12.9 min/mile. Jeff said that he lowered his ratio and it improved his time, so I tried it. I ran 30:30, and had a 12 min mile! Interesting!

I have to say that I used to have the same thing happen - faster with shorter intervals. So I tried it again last night... dropped from .5mile run/1:00 walk to 1:30 run/:45 walk... and got a whole lot slower! Went from just about a 12:00/mile pace to 13:30. Hard to say why; could be tired legs from a tough tempo run Tues., could be the high humidity, could be a problem with my GPS (since I felt a whole lot faster than that), or maybe the shorter intervals thing just isn't working for me anymore. IDK. :confused3

PS If you haven't read any of Jeff Galloway's books, he explains it pretty well. Someone at my run a couple weeks ago said that Jeff himself runs short intervals for all his distance races. He has run with her when he visits our groups here in Atlanta, so I trust the info.

Hi fellow ATLien,

I just started back after being on a pregnancy hiatus and 30:30 has defintely been working for me. Before I became pregnant I was a 1:30/1:00 so I defintely like the shorter intervals.

Which Galloway group do you train with? I was training with the Gwinnet until my pregnancy. Hope to get back out there with them
Again soon!

Here's to racking up the miles! :thumbsup2

What I gathered from a lengthy conversation on this a few pages back is that Disney wants a timed raced with public results (ie they could look up your time online.) It doesn't need to be USATF certified, per say.

Fab thanks......Yeah my results are on line...have another race on Wednesday to try to improve!!!

1) I think I've seen somewhere in this thread or elsewhere that the Powerade is half strength and the lemon-lime flavor? Is that right? I'd like not to carry anything with me (hydration-wise) and just use the aid stations, but I know that means I'll need to practice with what is actually on course as my runs get longer and we get closer to February.

2) Does anybody remember what kind of foods they have in the Race Retreat tent before the run? It would be nice if I could get up and out of my room quickly in the morning without waking up my son and my husband, so having breakfast when I get to the Race Retreat tent would be nice. Right now, I have oatmeal and some fruit an hour before my long runs but thought I'd find out what will actually be in the race retreat tent so I can practice that a bit too.

Thanks!
- Jessica

Ladies...how's the outfit planning going...I had found a beautiful Belle tutu on etsy but I think I would find all that net annoying...anyone any experience. Also I was thinking of getting a Minnie running skirt and matching sleeves and ears...any ideas on where to try for this

1) I think I've seen somewhere in this thread or elsewhere that the Powerade is half strength and the lemon-lime flavor? Is that right? I'd like not to carry anything with me (hydration-wise) and just use the aid stations, but I know that means I'll need to practice with what is actually on course as my runs get longer and we get closer to February.

- Jessica

Yes on the Powerade. The other thing to note is that hydration stations are set up every 1-1/2 mile or so. Here is 2012's map (can't seem to find 2013) and you can see where they are. Something else you wouldwant to be comfortable with.

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/princess/2012PrincessMap.pdf

Also I was thinking of getting a Minnie running skirt and matching sleeves and ears...any ideas on where to try for this

Sparkle skirts sells a polka dot one. They seem to be well-liked.

http://sparkleskirts.com/collections/sparkletech-basic/products/redminitech

Happy long run Saturday for all those are getting a long run in!
I just have Jeff Galloway 4 miles planned for today. Plus I just got new shoes. Enjoy your Saturday, ladies.

Ladies...how's the outfit planning going...I had found a beautiful Belle tutu on etsy but I think I would find all that net annoying...anyone any experience. Also I was thinking of getting a Minnie running skirt and matching sleeves and ears...any ideas on where to try for this

My 1/2 outfit is almost complete :). Doing a Rupunzel theme. Purple pro compression socks, purple Sparkle Athletic skirt, purple shirt with a light purple tank, flower clips in my hair and an iron on transfer of pascal for the tank. Now for the 10k I have not thought of anything!!

I just started working on mine! I picked a villain instead of a princess :O

I ordered a tutu and started cutting the material for the rest of the outfit. I'm wondering how to practice in it without looking crazy.

I'm running the 5K in costume, and the PHM in my regular running tank/skort. For the 5K, our boys chose a Beauty and the Beast theme, so I'll be Belle. I ordered a costume I'm really excited about on Etsy from iglowrunning! It looks super comfy and it's festive without concern about netting. I asked for a straight skirt instead of the one in the photo, so it will fit more similarly to my running clothes. If I love it as much as I think I will, I'm going to ask for a customized Minnie skirt and arm warmers, and wear my own black tank or shirt for the 2015 Donald Half!

I am very new to running. I would like to hear how are you princesses preparing for this run?? It will be my first half marathon. I have done some 5ks before but nothing more than that. My goal is to finish it. I am running by myself. Is there anybody else running without company? :):)

I would like to know what kind of running shoes would you recommend?

The kind that fit YOUR feet. Not to be sarcastic, but the only thing that matters is that you have a pair that have been fit to your foot, body type & running style. In order to do this you have to go to a reputable running store and have them fit you with the right pair.

Lots of the Princesses will be running "solo" with 20,000 of our new best friends! There will be a meet-up prior to the meet on Friday or Saturday, so be sure to keep an eye out for that.

As for training, are you a runner? Run-Walker? If the latter, check out the RunDisney page for the Galloway training plan. If you are a runner, then you can find lots of plans out there--Higdon, Runner's World sites have some.

I would like to know what kind of running shoes would you recommend?

I will be a solo runner this year. My running partner could not pull off another Dis trip this upcoming year.
I would agree going to a shoe store and getting fitted. A good and well fitting shoe should be comfortable and road ready. No breaking in period needed. I just had to get refitted because of my last pregnancy my foot got wider so my other running shoes couldn't even work. Welcome and glad you are jumping into this thread. These ladies are a wealth of information!

I just started running in May and this will be my first Disney race weekend-- I've done three local 5ks and would love to find a 10 k. The only one I've seen recently here was running the bridge between Philly and NJ but they said they'd sweep you if you didn't make it in 1.5 hours, and I was afraid I'd be right on the edge, so I didn't do it.

I'm just not a real princessy type, so didn't want to go all frou-frou--besides being over 60, I'm slow, around 14-15 minute/mile -- so I had a lime green tech shirt custom made that reads "One step ahead... of the balloon ladies!" with balloons on it.

I'll probably wear to both the 5k and the 10 k. I'm not doing the half--couldn't get in.:sad1: Waited too long to register.

In addition to the shirt, I ordered a Sparkle skirt in light green with lot of little sparkly things on it. Pricy, but they get very high ratings for comfort. I might wear one of my compression sock pairs -- I have yellow ones and white ones-- or buy a -pair that says, "I can fly!" I love Peter Pan-- one of my favorite shows as a kid. With Mary Martin, for any of you that go back that far.

Doubt if I'll need arm warmers if it's 50-- I ran this morning in NJ in a long sleeve shirt and Nike sweat shirt and it was 27 degrees. I was fine. Might bring a pair in case it's colder.

This is all SO much fun! I've lost 50 pounds in the last 15 months and I really love running, even though I stink at it lol.

And I'll be alone for the runs, too-- we own DVC but are maxed out on points. DH and I will be there in May and DD and DGD and I will be there in April, so I'm good with a solo trip--even though I've never done one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter