• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gang- super excited, I finally pr'ed my 10k! It was almost 2 years to the day (I don't count training runs into this equation only races). Yep I've waited that long to pr..... The only reason I'm sharing this is in hopes it might help someone else out there. The first mile I went out much faster then I normally do then paid for it during mile 2. I figured a PR was not going to happen. I'm the type of runner that plays it safe always. Too afraid to push it I might: hurt my knees, trip, burn out by mile xxxxx and not be able to finish, etc etc. Well, I decided that it was time! I was trying to add things up in my head and thought there was no way it was going to happen.... Then I just focused. I know it sounds corny, but I just focused on every word of every song that was playing and ran. I wanted to stop and walk so bad, old habits of pulling back are hard to break! I finished and pr'ed by a whopping 40 seconds!! So I guess what I'm trying to say is you might go out and think the race is starting bad but it can be turned around. I'm super proud of myself for pulling out of the safe zone and allowing myself to go for it!

Wishing happy running for you all this week! Don't forget to Dig Deep.......

Michele

Way to go!!! :cheer2: Running is a mind game for the most part.

Question for anyone who has worn a sparkle skirt type skirt or a tutu over either shorts or capris? Do you attach the skirt to either your shirt or shorts/capris in any way (sewing, pinning, etc.)? I'm thinking of doing a skirt over compression shorts but concerned about the two waistbands and the shirt all sliding around or up and down and bugging me.

I wear my sparkleskirts over compression capris and pants. My main problem is making sure my capris or pants are tied enough. Otherwise I get droopy drawers. But no spinning around for me. I think the key is to make sure that the waist is snug.

Hi gang- super excited, I finally pr'ed my 10k! It was almost 2 years to the day (I don't count training runs into this equation only races). Yep I've waited that long to pr..... The only reason I'm sharing this is in hopes it might help someone else out there. The first mile I went out much faster then I normally do then paid for it during mile 2. I figured a PR was not going to happen. I'm the type of runner that plays it safe always. Too afraid to push it I might: hurt my knees, trip, burn out by mile xxxxx and not be able to finish, etc etc. Well, I decided that it was time! I was trying to add things up in my head and thought there was no way it was going to happen.... Then I just focused. I know it sounds corny, but I just focused on every word of every song that was playing and ran. I wanted to stop and walk so bad, old habits of pulling back are hard to break! I finished and pr'ed by a whopping 40 seconds!! So I guess what I'm trying to say is you might go out and think the race is starting bad but it can be turned around. I'm super proud of myself for pulling out of the safe zone and allowing myself to go for it! Wishing happy running for you all this week! Don't forget to Dig Deep....... Michele

Congrats, that's awesome!!! Gotta love that feeling of digging deep and getting it done!

I submitted my 10K time a few days ago and just received an email back saying it had been added to my registration. I wonder what the corrals will be like! I can't wait to find out where I am!

There are so many people doing great things in their training! I love reading about it. :)

I'm in Florida so it is just now getting "chilly" and I know for some of you it might be snowing. :eek: what are your favorite cold weather running gear? I never trained for anything before and I want to make sure I am not ill prepared. I am plus size so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. Would love to hear your suggestions. :)

Happy training everyone!

Hi gang- super excited, I finally pr'ed my 10k!
That's FANTASTIC - WTG Michele! :woohoo:

Question for anyone who has worn a sparkle skirt type skirt or a tutu over either shorts or capris? Do you attach the skirt to either your shirt or shorts/capris in any way (sewing, pinning, etc.)? I'm thinking of doing a skirt over compression shorts but concerned about the two waistbands and the shirt all sliding around or up and down and bugging me.
I've tried Team Sparkle skirts twice now - once over compression shorts and once over compression tights... both times it drove me nuts. Not quite enough to pull it off and ditch it, but close, lol! I think my problem is that both shorts and tights are a slippery, shiny material; the skirts just wouldn't stay down where I like them. Had I just taken 5 minutes to safety pin them in place, I'd have been fine.

There are so many people doing great things in their training! I love reading about it. :)
::yes:: Me, too! Keep the success stories coming!

I'm in Florida so it is just now getting "chilly" and I know for some of you it might be snowing. :eek: what are your favorite cold weather running gear? I never trained for anything before and I want to make sure I am not ill prepared.
I'm in FL, too, on the Tampa Bay coast. There were only a few days last winter that really tested my cold weather running resolve, and they had windchills in the 30s. :rotfl: I'd never make it as a northern runner!

I pretty much wear capris or tights from mid-Nov. until it hits 85 again. For chilly days, I start layering: long sleeve top over short sleeves, so I can take the long sleeved one off easily and tie it around my waist; knit leg warmers that, once I'm warmed up, I can remove and tuck into my fuel belt; cheapo knit gloves; wicking hat. The one thing I routinely underestimate how much will bother me is cold ears; I can often go without a hat, but a cold wind in/on my ears will wreck a run, and even on warmer days, a cold, damp wind coming off the Gulf will be COLD. I found pulling a Bondi Band down over them is good enough on cool days, and a fleece ear band is a must on chillier days. :thumbsup2

what does the starting week of your HM training look like? what was your final week like before the TOT races? find a balance between those and i would try to run 3x a week to keep up your endurance.

and congrats on the TOT finishes :)

I haven't had more than a few weeks between training schedules for a long time, but that's pretty much what I do: keep running 3 times a week, 2 short and one long with the long run staying around 6 miles. With more weeks available, I might cycle up and down a couple times, up to maybe 8 and back down if I'm feeling good and am uninjured.

Thanks for the input!! :goodvibes My first week HM training was 3-3-3-4, and after going up to a 12mi long run came down to 3-4-3-8 the week before TOT. I was thinking something like 3-3-5 or 3-3-6 for a while until officially beginning training. Sounds like this is consistent with what you guys are saying, right? :)

I'm in FL, too, on the Tampa Bay coast. There were only a few days last winter that really tested my cold weather running resolve, and they had windchills in the 30s. :rotfl: I'd never make it as a northern runner! I pretty much wear capris or tights from mid-Nov. until it hits 85 again. For chilly days, I start layering: long sleeve top over short sleeves, so I can take the long sleeved one off easily and tie it around my waist; knit leg warmers that, once I'm warmed up, I can remove and tuck into my fuel belt; cheapo knit gloves; wicking hat. The one thing I routinely underestimate how much will bother me is cold ears; I can often go without a hat, but a cold wind in/on my ears will wreck a run, and even on warmer days, a cold, damp wind coming off the Gulf will be COLD. I found pulling a Bondi Band down over them is good enough on cool days, and a fleece ear band is a must on chillier days. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm in the panhandle so I start seeing the chillier times sooner than you do. If you even call it chilly. Lol. I never thought about putting on long sleeve over short for easy removal. Makes sooooo much sense.

Thanks for the input!! :goodvibes My first week HM training was 3-3-3-4, and after going up to a 12mi long run came down to 3-4-3-8 the week before TOT. I was thinking something like 3-3-5 or 3-3-6 for a while until officially beginning training. Sounds like this is consistent with what you guys are saying, right? :)

Sounds just like what I do between plans also, if that helps! Good luck with your training!

There are so many people doing great things in their training! I love reading about it. :) I'm in Florida so it is just now getting "chilly" and I know for some of you it might be snowing. :eek: what are your favorite cold weather running gear? I never trained for anything before and I want to make sure I am not ill prepared. I am plus size so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. Would love to hear your suggestions. :) Happy training everyone!

I'm in New England, so I'm pretty sure your definition of chilly and mine are probably not the same, lol. That being said, I highly recommend underarmor cold gear!!! I have pants and a shirt and I wear them just under shorts and a Tshirt or under more long layers, depending on the temp. Super lightweight, and holds heat but wicks sweat (I think-I forget exactly how it works but it does!)

Any information you can share about the cheer squad? My mom has purchased a package but we were wondering how it all worked that day, does she meet a group, ride the bus together to MK and the finish line?

I need a advice/reassurance from you wonderful disboarders. I was supposed to have my 10k this weekend. I was out for a run last weekend and had some soreness in my leg. It was not horrible, just dull and not too intense at all. I figured it was cold out and maybe I hadn't stretched/warmed up enough, so I figured I could run through it. All of a sudden 4+ miles in I felt a sudden intensifying - not a pop, but a sudden pulling. It was in the area of my upper achilles/lower calf. I had been in PT for peroneal tendinitis starting over the summer, and in an odd coincidence last week was my last appointment. Needless to say I went back yesterday. My therapist thinks I strained my achilles. My calves are also super tight so she worked on those. She said I could walk the 10k, but she is not sure running it is a good idea, it might make me injure myself. But, I am not a fast walker, walking fast is actually more uncomfortable for me than running, so I think its not worth it.

I know of one other 10k in 9 days, but is is the last USATF certified one I can find in my whole area - and by that I mean all of New England. Do I rest and give that a go? Do I try to walk the one this weekend? I doubt that time would do much for my corral placement, but it would be something. Or, do I just decide not to submit a time at all and try to get 100% injury free? Even if that puts me in the last corral. From what I have read, they are only accepting usatf certified course results. Does anyone know if that is wrong?

Anyone with injury experience have any advice? My normal pace is about 9:30/mile. I was thinking if I wait for next week's race and set my Garmin to alarm if I go faster than 11:00min/mile and really slow down maybe I'd be okay?

I'm so frustrated because I was just feeling back to 100%, and the day the injury happened I was actually taking it somewhat easy because it was a week before my race. It not like I was pushing super hard.

I really don't know what to do! :scratchin

I need a advice/reassurance from you wonderful disboarders. I was supposed to have my 10k this weekend. I was out for a run last weekend and had some soreness in my leg. It was not horrible, just dull and not too intense at all. I figured it was cold out and maybe I hadn't stretched/warmed up enough, so I figured I could run through it. All of a sudden 4+ miles in I felt a sudden intensifying - not a pop, but a sudden pulling. It was in the area of my upper achilles/lower calf. I had been in PT for peroneal tendinitis starting over the summer, and in an odd coincidence last week was my last appointment. Needless to say I went back yesterday. My therapist thinks I strained my achilles. My calves are also super tight so she worked on those. She said I could walk the 10k, but she is not sure running it is a good idea, it might make me injure myself. But, I am not a fast walker, walking fast is actually more uncomfortable for me than running, so I think its not worth it.

I know of one other 10k in 9 days, but is is the last USATF certified one I can find in my whole area - and by that I mean all of New England. Do I rest and give that a go? Do I try to walk the one this weekend? I doubt that time would do much for my corral placement, but it would be something. Or, do I just decide not to submit a time at all and try to get 100% injury free? Even if that puts me in the last corral. From what I have read, they are only accepting usatf certified course results. Does anyone know if that is wrong?

Anyone with injury experience have any advice? My normal pace is about 9:30/mile. I was thinking if I wait for next week's race and set my Garmin to alarm if I go faster than 11:00min/mile and really slow down maybe I'd be okay?

I'm so frustrated because I was just feeling back to 100%, and the day the injury happened I was actually taking it somewhat easy because it was a week before my race. It not like I was pushing super hard.

My personal opinion, rest the injury so you can run the Princess. It will do you no good to push through an injury for a 10K time to submit if it means injuring yourself further and not being able to run the half. I was out for a month and a half with an achilles/heel bursitis injury and they are SLOW to heal, especially when you try to run when you aren't healed enough. It might mean no 10K to submit and some weaving around slower folks at the half but at least you will be healed and able to train for it if you go the rest-route!

so, i just read that if you take the jeff galoway ddd plan and apply it to the gsc it is training you to walk the 10k and run the half? Is that so? That was the training plan i was going to use but, i think i need to run/walk both the 10K and the half. Is there a good way to modify it? Or is there a better plan out there? I am slow and even w/ walk/run averaging about 15 min per mile. So, I do not think it wise for me to just walk the 10k. Thanks,

Thanks! I'm in the panhandle so I start seeing the chillier times sooner than you do. If you even call it chilly. Lol. I never thought about putting on long sleeve over short for easy removal. Makes sooooo much sense.
Oh shoot - you get REAL winters up there! LOL, I discovered the long sleeve on top method after struggling to get a long sleeve top out and off from under a short sleeve one... while trying to keep my pace on the run. It didn't work. ;)

My personal opinion, rest the injury so you can run the Princess. It will do you no good to push through an injury for a 10K time to submit if it means injuring yourself further and not being able to run the half. I was out for a month and a half with an achilles/heel bursitis injury and they are SLOW to heal, especially when you try to run when you aren't healed enough. It might mean no 10K to submit and some weaving around slower folks at the half but at least you will be healed and able to train for it if you go the rest-route!
+1 Speaking as one who tried to run through an injury last year, and as one who danced through a bad Achilles injury long ago... don't do it. Corral placement isn't worth the risk of being unable to run at all by making the injury worse. Rest, heal and roll the corral dice... FWIW I landed in C last year with no proof of time, so it can happen.

so, i just read that if you take the jeff galoway ddd plan and apply it to the gsc it is training you to walk the 10k and run the half? Is that so? That was the training plan i was going to use but, i think i need to run/walk both the 10K and the half. Is there a good way to modify it? Or is there a better plan out there? I am slow and even w/ walk/run averaging about 15 min per mile. So, I do not think it wise for me to just walk the 10k. Thanks,
I fully intend on running most of both the 10K and 1/2, so that's how I'll train. I feel like the key will be keeping my pace in check on both - in training and on race days - to avoid burnout. I'm also doing some of my back-to-back training runs in reverse, with the longer one Sat. and shorter one Sun. and my plan for race weekend is to race the 10K and take it easy for the 1/2.

I just recently put together a new training plan using McMillanrunning.com (link is in my signature) - haven't gotten to the back-to-backs yet, but so far my customized plan is working really well - much better than Galloway's plans were working for me in the past.

You might consider tweaking it by running both the 10k and the half and walking during water/fueling brakes (most races those fall every 3 miles or so) If you don't train your body to run you won't just magically be able to run a half (even in magical WDW). You have a bit to train yet. I would maybe consider 2/3 short runs where you push yourself on pace and then 1 long run where you just work on distance. If you need to walk you might say starting out run 1 mile walk 1/8 and cycle your run walk until you don't need to walk as much or at all on you short runs. If you are just starting out I'd say 3 mile short and 5 mile long and build from there. I build by adding a quarter mile. Some say no more than 1/10 but that may be too little with the time you have if you are starting at the beginning at this point in time. I have heard it said that if you can run 6 straight at a steady pace you can run a half- I believe that to be true. In other words if you can run the 10k you can run the half. Just work on pacing and gait and work up to it. Work hard, and push yourself, but listen to your body so you don't injure yourself. Most courses (including the PHM) have required or recommended finishing times and it's a good idea to try to train to meet or even better exceed those times. (You never know when nature may call or whatever and slow your pace) Hope this helps some. Just remember you can do anything you set your mind to! Good luck!

You might consider tweaking it by running both the 10k and the half and walking during water/fueling brakes (most races those fall every 3 miles or so) If you don't train your body to run you won't just magically be able to run a half (even in magical WDW). You have a bit to train yet. I would maybe consider 2/3 short runs where you push yourself on pace and then 1 long run where you just work on distance. If you need to walk you might say starting out run 1 mile walk 1/8 and cycle your run walk until you don't need to walk as much or at all on you short runs. If you are just starting out I'd say 3 mile short and 5 mile long and build from there. I build by adding a quarter mile. Some say no more than 1/10 but that may be too little with the time you have if you are starting at the beginning at this point in time. I have heard it said that if you can run 6 straight at a steady pace you can run a half- I believe that to be true. In other words if you can run the 10k you can run the half. Just work on pacing and gait and work up to it. Work hard, and push yourself, but listen to your body so you don't injure yourself. Most courses (including the PHM) have required or recommended finishing times and it's a good idea to try to train to meet or even better exceed those times. (You never know when nature may call or whatever and slow your pace) Hope this helps some. Just remember you can do anything you set your mind to! Good luck!

so, i started running in June. I got up the 5k point and felt it too hard to go much futher. So, I started intervals. I currently run 3.5 min and walk 1 min. I completed a 10k like this recently. so, to train for the GSC, I was planning on continuing with this. Do you think that is a good plan. 2 short runs, 1 long run and then starting in Dec ( according to jeff galloway DDD plan modified for the GSC) add a 4th day in and that will fall the day before the long run. However, the Jeff Galloway has you walking that distance. Should i just run/walk it instead? Does that make sense?

so, i started running in June. I got up the 5k point and felt it too hard to go much futher. So, I started intervals. I currently run 3.5 min and walk 1 min. I completed a 10k like this recently. so, to train for the GSC, I was planning on continuing with this. Do you think that is a good plan. 2 short runs, 1 long run and then starting in Dec ( according to jeff galloway DDD plan modified for the GSC) add a 4th day in and that will fall the day before the long run. However, the Jeff Galloway has you walking that distance. Should i just run/walk it instead? Does that make sense?
Intervals are fine. As you continue to train you might push for a longer run interval. I get the 5k thing. It is hard to push past that first 3/4 mile mark and keep going. That being said a lot of running is mental. If you feel like your heart rate is too high then slow your pace until it drops some, if you feel bone pain that's legit- stop, but if you are just feeling like you're too tired then sometimes we just have to tell our brains to SHUT UP and push through the mental blocks. That being said you need to make sure you are fueling your body right before runs and during runs. If you don't fuel right you will hit physical and mental walls that can take you down. I am also a big believer in cross training, it can help strengthen your body on days you aren't running, I try to concentrate on things that strengthen my trunk and aren't as joint impacting. I think you have the right idea, just keep pushing yourself and remember today you are stronger than you think, and with training you'll be even stronger tomorrow!

Intervals are fine. As you continue to train you might push for a longer run interval. I get the 5k thing. It is hard to push past that first 3/4 mile mark and keep going. That being said a lot of running is mental. If you feel like your heart rate is too high then slow your pace until it drops some, if you feel bone pain that's legit- stop, but if you are just feeling like you're too tired then sometimes we just have to tell our brains to SHUT UP and push through the mental blocks. That being said you need to make sure you are fueling your body right before runs and during runs. If you don't fuel right you will hit physical and mental walls that can take you down. I am also a big believer in cross training, it can help strengthen your body on days you aren't running, I try to concentrate on things that strengthen my trunk and aren't as joint impacting. I think you have the right idea, just keep pushing yourself and remember today you are stronger than you think, and with training you'll be even stronger tomorrow!

aww thanks....i feel motivated!!!:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter