Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw someone post a few days ago that "Run with the Mouse" had bibs -- anyone know anything about them? I can't find any information or links to them or anything. I'm looking for a marathon weekend bib for the 1/2.

Hello runDisney Princesses! Just ran a (relatively) local 10K today and sent in my new time to runDisney in an attempt to update. We'll see how it goes. After the crowded DL 10K last month, I was able to take 10 minutes off my time - went from 1:03 at DL to 0:53 at a local USTAF certified course. No crowds and ran my regular pace - yay!

I know I may have to wait a few days to hear back from runDisney, so I'm still concerned about kappyfamily's experience. Really hoping they will let me update, since it's over two months before the December 1 deadline and a significant change in time.

Congrats on a fantastic time. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you've submitted the time, you should be fine. I imagine they will get around to updating Princess corrals once they take care of other races. I'm planning to do a 10k or two at the end of October, and I expect it will be fine as far as corral placement. It has been in the past. With luck I'll run sub-52, so I may see you in corral A or B!

Maura

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I'm still way behind in reading the first many pages of this thread.

How do you train for running in the warm weather in Florida?

Summer is over here (and it never gets as hot and humid as in Florida) and winter is coming. So from now on I will be training in cold weather and in a couple of months probably in snow.

I have no idea on how to prepare for the warm weather. The last time I trained for a half marathon was during summer, so I was use to running in the heat.

I don't know if this question has been asked before, I'm still way behind in reading the first many pages of this thread.

Summer is over here (and it never gets as hot and humid as in Florida) and winter is coming. So from now on I will be training in cold weather and in a couple of months probably in snow.

I have no idea on how to prepare for the warm weather. The last time I trained for a half marathon was during summer, so I was use to running in the heat.

The best I can offer is the following...

1- if you can, come early and give yourself a few days to acclimate to the humidity. During that time, enjoy the parks, but do not push hard to see everything. Hydrate well while outside and in the parks. Wear sunscreen while out and about. Starting a race with a sunburn will wreck your ability to shed heat and your hydration plan.

2- You will need to run just a little slower than you normally would for the climate you train. You should be fine as long as the temperatures remain below 60F. Once they go above 60F, you will need to slow up the pace. It really depends on your ability to cope with the added heat, but it could be as much as a minute a mile for every 7-10F above 60F.

3- Get at least one run in a morning or two pre-race. It will give you a feel for how you react to the higher dew points (the measure of humidity)

4- Understand your normal hydration rate for your home climate. You will need to add to that rate. The best measure is make sure you hydrate at least as much as home and then add more drink to thirst. In other words, let thirst drive your hydration on race day, but make sure you are not cutting back from your training rates.

5- Have fun! You will do much better than you think.

--- one last thought, if you have access to a treadmill and can set the thermostat in the area, make a few intermediate or longer runs on a treadmill to simulate running in the heat. On average, the temperature that you should set the room at would be the lower 70F range. That would simulate the feeling of running on a morning in the upper 60F range with humidity.

Good Luck

Just had to share...
On July 2nd I signed up for the PHM. I'm considered obese, never exercised consistently for longer than a month since 8th grade, and it was difficult to do 22 min/mile.
This morning I completed my very first ever 5K at just under 17 min/mile and felt great afterwards! I know it's still slower than the PHM required pace, but I'm getting there.
Very excited to start the official training plan tomorrow! To quote Linguini from Ratatouille, "Let's do this thing!":)

Just had to share...
On July 2nd I signed up for the PHM. I'm considered obese, never exercised consistently for longer than a month since 8th grade, and it was difficult to do 22 min/mile.
This morning I completed my very first ever 5K at just under 17 min/mile and felt great afterwards! I know it's still slower than the PHM required pace, but I'm getting there.
Very excited to start the official training plan tomorrow! To quote Linguini from Ratatouille, "Let's do this thing!":)

:banana::banana::banana::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Congrats on such great progress. Keep it up!

Maura

Congrats on a fantastic time. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you've submitted the time, you should be fine. I imagine they will get around to updating Princess corrals once they take care of other races. I'm planning to do a 10k or two at the end of October, and I expect it will be fine as far as corral placement. It has been in the past. With luck I'll run sub-52, so I may see you in corral A or B!
Maura

Thanks so much! :) Wishing you a great race (or two) in October!!

Just had to share...

Congratulations! :cheer2: You have lots of time to improve your pace before February!

The best I can offer is the following...

This is great advice - thanks so much for sharing - I went down the list to make sure I'm doing each one of these things before the PHM. Thanks again!

Just had to share...

Folks may not know my history.... but without going into great detail, this is very close to my story.

I honestly tear up when I read success stories like this. I know and feel the pain of where you have come from and feel the heart felt joy of the CELEBRATION os each and every accomplishment! Keep the positive forward momentum moving....

THanks for sharing!!!!

Just had to share... On July 2nd I signed up for the PHM. I'm considered obese, never exercised consistently for longer than a month since 8th grade, and it was difficult to do 22 min/mile. This morning I completed my very first ever 5K at just under 17 min/mile and felt great afterwards! I know it's still slower than the PHM required pace, but I'm getting there. Very excited to start the official training plan tomorrow! To quote Linguini from Ratatouille, "Let's do this thing!":)

Congratulations in the first of many successes
You've got this!!

I have been planning on staying at Poly for 5 nights including GSC weekend. With talk about construction there, should I reconsider?

I have been planning on staying at Poly for 5 nights including GSC weekend. With talk about construction there, should I reconsider?

You might want to check out the threads on Poly construction on the Resorts board. They are posting updates and photos. I guess it depends on what you want/expect out of the resort.

You might want to check out the threads on Poly construction on the Resorts board. They are posting updates and photos. I guess it depends on what you want/expect out of the resort.

I think that key... Are you going to disappoint yourself if the resort is not in pristine condition? The construction should not affect the much more than the DVC area in February. It will still have the same great cast and offer the same convenience as before. The only catch would be if located in a room near the actual work, you may have day noise.

Just had to share... On July 2nd I signed up for the PHM. I'm considered obese, never exercised consistently for longer than a month since 8th grade, and it was difficult to do 22 min/mile. This morning I completed my very first ever 5K at just under 17 min/mile and felt great afterwards! I know it's still slower than the PHM required pace, but I'm getting there. Very excited to start the official training plan tomorrow! To quote Linguini from Ratatouille, "Let's do this thing!":)

That is fantastic! There is so much time left to go I am sure that you will see even more of an improvement and do just great :)

Are you doing the race with a buddy that you can train with?

Hi gang! Hoping everyone's training is going well. I just finished my 12th half marathon in 19 months! It was a first for me in the sense that it was dumping rain and about 20 mph headwinds!! Wow. It looked like I jumped in a pool about 1/4 mile into the race. Running in squishy shoes is not my favorite but I found after awhile it to be pretty comical! Finished and got a gorgeous medal!!

I have a question for Coach, you have helped me countless times, this is the first time in all of my races that I am beyond sore. I am so locked up, barely can walk down stairs, get out of car etc. lactic acid is kicking my butt big time. Any thoughts on how to speed the process up? Again I've never had this before quite this bad. Tried hot bath, aleve, rolling my legs etc.

It was 8 miles of downhill, first 3 miles were a pretty steep decline next 5 miles flat, the course ran thru a paved path thru the forest, a dream course really. Im guessing maybe the first 3 miles is what did it?? Also need to add I have the Portland Half Marathon in 5 days.....ahhhh!!

Thanks for any thoughts!
Michele

Just had to share...

WOW!!!! Congrats on your amazing accomplishment, and many wishes for continues success on your journey to the PHM. I love it! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement! It means more than you'll ever know.

Are you doing the race with a buddy that you can train with?

I only know one person in real life who's doing the PHM (my DS's teacher, of all people!), but she's already doing it with a friend and will be traveling down completely separate. So I'm doing this all by myself, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of the DIS'ers at the race! :thumbsup2

I live in Fl, so I'm of now help, but...

--- one last thought, if you have access to a treadmill and can set the thermostat in the area, make a few intermediate or longer runs on a treadmill to simulate running in the heat. On average, the temperature that you should set the room at would be the lower 70F range. That would simulate the feeling of running on a morning in the upper 60F range with humidity.

I know of someone who did exactly what Coach described above and reported that it helped her a LOT! Do keep in mind that Feb weather here can be anything from warm and humid to below freezing and dry and there's no way of knowing just what we'll have for race weekend until a few days before. I think folks who train in colder climates and do a few warm indoor runs can prepare well for anything we might have. As a Floridian, I'm doomed if the temp drops below 50, lol!

Just had to share...
:cheer2::cool1::thumbsup2 Congratulations - I bet it feels GREAT!

A hot run for me is anything above 60 :rotfl: But with all the people running and supporting each other we will all do great.

Proof of Time Update: Just wanted to report that runDisney accepted my updated proof of time - yay! I estimated 2:00 for the PHM using a 10K time of 0:53. Not sure what the official policy is, but wanted to let those concerned about submitting multiple times that they accepted mine. I registered with no proof of time, submitted proof in August and then submitted an updated proof this weekend. In an e-mail response, they said updates are permitted until December 1, and did not put a limit on the number of times a runner can update. Again, not sure of official policy - just my experience.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement! It means more than you'll ever know.

I only know one person in real life who's doing the PHM (my DS's teacher, of all people!), but she's already doing it with a friend and will be traveling down completely separate. So I'm doing this all by myself, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of the DIS'ers at the race! :thumbsup2

donaldandpirates, I'm running solo, too! (Although I'm traveling with our three boys, and my husband is joining us for the night before the race.) I ran a 10K on my own last weekend - my first time running a race on my own - and it was still quite fun!

Proof of Time Update: Just wanted to report that runDisney accepted my updated proof of time - yay! I estimated 2:00 for the PHM using a 10K time of 0:53. Not sure what the official policy is, but wanted to let those concerned about submitting multiple times that they accepted mine. I registered with no proof of time, submitted proof in August and then submitted an updated proof this weekend. In an e-mail response, they said updates are permitted until December 1, and did not put a limit on the number of times a runner can update. Again, not sure of official policy - just my experience.

donaldandpirates, I'm running solo, too! (Although I'm traveling with our three boys, and my husband is joining us for the night before the race.) I ran a 10K on my own last weekend - my first time running a race on my own - and it was still quite fun!

Hi Pixarmom! :wave

Congrats on getting your proof of time accepted! And it's such a fabulous time! You are crazy fast and definitely powered by Pixie Dust! My goal is to not get swept! I'm running a 15K here in Chicago in November that I'm going to submit for my time. I hope I can run a fast enough time as to not be placed in the last corral.

Are you staying at BC/YC for PHM?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter