• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had good luck with Bobbi Brown's No Smudge, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. What do you use?

I've had good success at hot/humid races with Loreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara. If it does come off, it kind of peels off instead of smudging your face all up.

for those that have doen the Princess weekend before...are there usually any room discounts available that weekend? AAA, or other room only offers? I know it's the end of February Vacation week, so I'm thinking discounts will be few and far between but just thought I'd check. I booked AoA for 2 nights at rack rate :scared:

I was able to get a good Florida Resident hotel rate that weekend last year, so there were probably other discounts available as well. It was MUCH cheaper than the runDisney hotel "discounts".

Aww man! I picked Aurora cause she's always been my fave. It was a toss up between her and Merida. Had I only known it determined the race bib!!! Does anyone if it's too late to change it?

I was able to change my bib by calling runDisney last year (I had major costume indecision). I actually called to make sure they had my updated proof of time race information because I didn't get a confirmation e-mail and while I was on the phone I asked about changing the bib and it was no problem. They were also able to switch it so it showed my middle name (which I go by) instead of my first.

Registering for runDisney races can be confusing and anxiety provoking. I've tried to pull together a lot of detailed pricing and logistical info in this post if you're getting ready to register for the 2014 Princess Half weekend events and want all the detailed info you can get. Hope it helps someone:
http://runthegreatwidesomewhere.blogspot.com/2013/06/registering-for-princess-half-logistics.html

I will tell you I was one of those who did not train. I signed up in November last year for this year's with every intention of training. I am not a runner, but the ladies who talked me into doing this said it was walkable. I was so fearful of being swept. Going into the race I only had a 5K under my belt-all walking. I was freaking out the weekend of the race and shooting myself for not getting the training in.
Well, they had me line up in the front of the last corral because the pacer (balloon lady) was at the back. If you let her by you, you had a chance of being swept. So being in the front of the last corral gave me extra time. I think because of my adrenaline and just being around all the ladies, I did finish the race at 3hr 38 mins. I was fine until I hit around mile 8 or so and started feeling a little of it, so grabbed some biofreeze. That's when the balloon lady passed me. She was so encouraging though. I did jog a little to get ahead of her a little. Also, once we got into transportation center at Disney (mile 4 or so...I stopped and used the bathroom and I lost time that way).
The last 2.5 miles were really hard for me but I just kept going. Once I knew I was safe from being swept-entering Epcot's parking lot, I had to let the pacer lady pass me.
So if I could finish with no training, you can finish with 300 days of training
Hope this story helps anyone with any doubts. I'm 42 years old and I don't exercise, just walking around the parks. So, I'm going to start training because I want to be able to enjoy this one. I was jealous of all those that could stop and take pics, etc. I couldn't waste the precious minute or so.

We must have been right near each other! I was up front for the start of corral H too. The 16-minute balloon lady caught up to me on the terrible ramp during mile 10. At which point I said to myself 'Aw heck no! No one is putting me on a bus after ten miles!' & tried to take off. We went back & forth for about two miles until I finally just let her go in EPCOT. I figured by then I was safe. I do wish I could have stopped for pictures but I was also too worried about being swept. Next year will be better!

I know this doesn't help most, but I'm holding out hope for a military discount. I still need to figure out where to stay and how much vacation afterwards we want to take.

For Marathon Weekend this year, I actually used a travel agency because they had some really good rates they had been able to negotiate.

thanks, I looked at the historical discounts page on Mousesavers, and it does list discounts for that time frame, but I wasn't sure if certain dates like Feb vacation week, or the PHM weekend had been blacked out or not.

which TA did you use for marathon Weekend? I am running the 1/2 that weekend too, but we rented DVC points for that. For the Princess 1/2 we are only staying 2 nights and was hoping to not spend as much as renting DVC that weekend would cost.

thanks, I looked at the historical discounts page on Mousesavers, and it does list discounts for that time frame, but I wasn't sure if certain dates like Feb vacation week, or the PHM weekend had been blacked out or not.

which TA did you use for marathon Weekend? I am running the 1/2 that weekend too, but we rented DVC points for that. For the Princess 1/2 we are only staying 2 nights and was hoping to not spend as much as renting DVC that weekend would cost.

I used MEI/Mouse Fan Travel.

Aww man! I picked Aurora cause she's always been my fave. It was a toss up between her and Merida. Had I only known it determined the race bib!!! Does anyone if it's too late to change it?

I have picked Aurora every year. She is my favorite princesses. I do love to sleep and can fall asleep in less than a minutes. My family thinks it is so funny. I can sleep for 2-3 hours in the afternoon and then go to bed at 9 and fall right off.
It has always been a pink bib, but it does match alot of colors.
I don't know if you can change.

I'm in for the GSC. First time doing Princess, and hoping that I get to train properly with no injuries--it's been a lousy last couple of years, and I didn't have a decent time to submit for corral placement. Hoping to take care of that later in the year.

Maura

This has been a really active thread lately! Woohoo. I feel like I'm really starting to get to know the personalities.

I picked Ariel too. Aside from being my favorite, I also felt like it was symbolic bc of her wanting human "legs" like i did so badly during my years of leg rehab! :)

But now I'm worried because I didnt google it first and it's one of the ones with light color numbers. Does that mean it won't register as well in pics? Hopefully they will maybe outline the numbers in a darker color this year....

Don't worry too much about bib color. The bibs change every year and I agree with other posted the race photographer isn't the best. So happy to hear you're out running after rehab.

If I'm going to stick a tiara on my head, why wouldn't I put a little sparkle underneath it?

(3) Finally, strong posing seems to help for the pictures -- there's a reason everyone puts a hand to their waist, pops a hip, crooks a knee, etc. It adds a active dynamic to the picture that reflects what you're doing -- and looks better than "I'm just standing here b/c I don't think I can do anything else now shoot the picture!". You can also mimic the characters' poses a lot of the time for a cute pic. And, if you know you're buying the photos (or pre-bought them), look for the photographers along the route, look right at them and SMILE!

FWIW, E.

Love this advice!

I too picked Ariel, only based on that's my costume for this race. I will be "swimming" since I'm designing a runner friendly mermaid outfit.

Sweet! Can't wait to see it. "Keep swimming" is one of my favorite running mantras.

for those that have doen the Princess weekend before...are there usually any room discounts available that weekend? AAA, or other room only offers? I know it's the end of February Vacation week, so I'm thinking discounts will be few and far between but just thought I'd check. I booked AoA for 2 nights at rack rate :scared:

Yes. There will be discounts offered. It's not too busy of a time of year.

About the 80% thing... I imagine that refers to the slots set aside for EARLY registration.

Exactly! It'll change again on Tuesday. Great advice about corrals/sweepers too!

I used MEI/Mouse Fan Travel.

LOVE this TA! Amazing CS and best deals I have ever found. Only wish I had found them earlier.

I'm in for the GSC. First time doing Princess, and hoping that I get to train properly with no injuries--it's been a lousy last couple of years, and I didn't have a decent time to submit for corral placement. Hoping to take care of that later in the year.

Welcome!

please[/I] don't stress over corrals! Yes, if you have the opportunity, run a 10K or longer and submit the time. But then try not to sweat the details on this; if you train appropriately, you CAN finish ahead of the sweepers, I promise. Just go in thinking about how you want to experience the race - if you want to stop for tons of photo opps, you'll need a faster moving pace to make up for the non-moving time in lines. Fewer photo stops = more wiggle room. No plans to stop? You can go slow and still be fine.

TOTALLY agree with "V" on the don't sweat corral placement. This year DH and I were in "E" and we were fine...even finished with some corral C folks. If you are worried about the 16 min mi pace, find a treadmill and practice doing a couple of miles. I bet you will find you can go faster if needed.

On the running shoe front....got new Asics 19 and Asics 2000 which are replacements for 18 and 2170. Both are stability and fun colors for women ! Shoe of choice for long runs will be the purple 2000's and have already ordered an extra pair from road runner for my DL half in sept.

How'bout those Spurs !:cheer2:

I've had good luck with Bobbi Brown's No Smudge, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone. What do you use?

I've had good success at hot/humid races with Loreal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara. If it does come off, it kind of peels off instead of smudging your face all up.

I will have to try these. I have used a maybelline one, forget the exact name. It seems to work fine if you don't touch it, but it starts to smudge if I wipe/rub my eyes. That won't work well for me running. I had a Clinique one I liked for the pool or water rides at parks, but it did not resist smudging through sweat. Plenty of time to try some options. Thanks for the suggestions:thumbsup2

I just made my resort reservation for POFQ! I'm so excited and the representative was so encouraging about the PHM

I'm waiting to register until Tuesday because my first 10K is tomorrow and I wanted to put the results in the form. Then everything will be final!

Speaking of makeup tips, has anyone tried running with that makeup setting spray floating around Pinterest that the Disney face characters supposedly use? I know after the Donald Half I saw this immaculately made up girl dressed as Cinderella in the bus lines and her makeup was flawless!

I *think* I have DH considering to do Flynn Rider to my Rapunzel for the 10K part of the GSC. His smolder needs practice though. ;)

I'm so excited!! It's going to be a long wait. (But that's good..lots of time to train.)

Anyway,
And, if you know you're buying the photos (or pre-bought them), look for the photographers along the route, look right at them and SMILE!

pre-buying photos?? Can someone explain more?

Speaking of makeup tips, has anyone tried running with that makeup setting spray floating around Pinterest that the Disney face characters supposedly use? I know after the Donald Half I saw this immaculately made up girl dressed as Cinderella in the bus lines and her makeup was flawless!

I want to know as well! I may have to try it on my training runs in this hot Florida weather!

I'm so excited!! It's going to be a long wait. (But that's good..lots of time to train.)

Anyway,

pre-buying photos?? Can someone explain more?

In the past there's been an offer from the photo company that takes the on-course pics to pre-purchase your "gallery" at a discounted price before the race. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was for the gallery download, but may have included a CD option, not sure. You're basically pre-paying for all of your pics beforehand. It's sort of a gamble though, because you just never know what kind of pics or how many you're going to get. I can tell you, that since they switched to Marathonfoto, if I had taken advantage of the pre-purchase for Tink or Princess half from this year I would have been extremely upset. My pictures were crap...and VERY few of them for both races. In contrast, when they used Brightroom in the years prior, I have purchased the gallery download for those races...but normally I wait several months after the race. They will typically send emails with discount codes to get you to buy for months and months and MONTHS after the race. Whatever you do, pre- or post-buy...don't pay full price, there's always a discount at some point.

Can someone clarify how the bib choices work? Do I get to choose a color, or a princess? Can anyone whose already registered confirm the choices? Thanks!

Can someone clarify how the bib choices work? Do I get to choose a color, or a princess? Can anyone whose already registered confirm the choices? Thanks!

You choose a Princess from the list of choices provided during registration. I believe all of the recognized Princesses are listed, the classics as well a the newer ones. The princess you choose determines your bib color and they print the princess' name on the bib too.

You choose a Princess from the list of choices provided during registration. I believe all of the recognized Princesses are listed, the classics as well a the newer ones. The princess you choose determines your bib color and they print the princess' name on the bib too.

Is Rapunzel a choice? Your answer makes me think yes but I figured I'd double check for DSis because she's her favorite!

I'd like to know, too. Wouldn't hurt to look my best in the photos. :)

I *think* I have DH considering to do Flynn Rider to my Rapunzel for the 10K part of the GSC. His smolder needs practice though. ;)

Too funny, let us know how his smoulder is coming along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter