Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the races being that close a big problem if you can adjust what you want from each race. I read a great article about this on Runners World. You've got that! I'm doing the full in Jan then the GSC (if I can get in, cross fingers) & I've got less years running than you and am 58. It just takes commitment to a good plan and consistency

Now asking your boss that is tough. :)

Well, I have only been running for just over a year... and in my mid 40's. I try to do one event a month... so I have some 10ks and 5ks under my belt... plus I did the ToT 10miler 2012 and the PHM 2013... YET, my run yesterday (an 8 miler) kicked my rear. I wonder if I am just running to far for me each week. (I have a 2 mile, a 5 mile, a 5 mile and an 8 mile planned for each week in the month of June - last month was half mile less on each except for the 2 miler..and my plan is to increase by a half a mile on each run - each month leading up to the 10 miler in October)

Go for it! You're really going to be bummed out when we start posting photos. The races are definitely not too close together. I have 2 additional races between WDW marathon weekend and the Princess weekend.

I'm actually going to be hanging out with 2 of my bosses during the PHM weekend. I convinced them to go. However, I won't be staying with them. I want to stay on the monorail in 2014 and I just don't want to discuss $$$ with them. We're certainly going to meeting up for dinner and cheer for one another. Things get strange (even with the closest of friends) when you have to discuss money/financial arrangements.

I do find it strange to discuss financials with people... but the other day that I spent with my boss, she did a lot of inquiring and sharing. So if she is comfortable then I am not all that weirded out. It is kinda the staying in the same room maybe that freaks me out a tad :confused: I am definitely going to have to think on this one... but you are right... the pictures might make me a tad bummed. ;) So I have to weigh that into my possible discomfort in approaching my boss (who is seriously thinking of doing the phm all on her own)

Well, I'm not on FB, and after all the comments I'm reading like: I didn't know there are rules and everyone's doing it, it's just as well I'm not on. It's pretty pathetic that there are people out there that chose to display a lack of honesty and trying to beat the system. It just makes me sad. I hope everyone gets a spot when registration comes up.

Thing is that gets to me (and I really shouldn't let it) but those people tend to think they are NOT being dishonest or breaking rules. :sad2:Or maybe by making comments like they don't think there are really rules is a way to reinforce the notion that they are not breaking rules to themselves. Either way... it is aggravating.

I hope everyone gets a spot once registration opens up!

If you are an AP holder or have a Disney Visa, word is June 6th. Everyone else is June 11th. I asked on FB since this is my first runDisney event and I was told it opens at noon.

Thank you so much Cadyrose! :flower3:

I do have a Disney Visa :goodvibes Noon? I'm assuming that's eastern time, right?

Hrm, may have to wake up early to register then go back to bed. I work a late shift ...

Has anyone here done the 5K? I am thinking about doing that one too and just walking it. Am I crazy to try and do all three?

Has anyone here done the 5K? I am thinking about doing that one too and just walking it. Am I crazy to try and do all three?

Not at all. There are thousands signed up for the Dopey (5k, 10k, 1/2, full) in January. I among them. Just waiting for Disney to call this 3-day event during the Princess weekend something new and charging more. What princess should we call the 3-day event?

Not at all. There's thousands signed up for the Dopey (5k, 10k, 1/2, full) in January. I among them. Just waiting for Disney to call this 3-day event during the Princess weekend something new and charging more. What princess should we call the 3-day event?

I would say Cinderella, because I am a Cinderella girl! So what is the course like? Someone was saying a lot if the 5K for Tink is similar to the half. Is that the case here?

No flip flops except Orthaheel. Use a boot or sock that keeps your toes from pointing at night or sleep on your side not your belly. Dansko's when your not in Orthaheels and NEVER go barefoot..even in the house wear slippers. The heel pain is likely from plantar fascitis (your arch needs more support). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pointers.

No flip flops except Orthaheel. Use a boot or sock that keeps your toes from pointing at night or sleep on your side not your belly. Dansko's when your not in Orthaheels and NEVER go barefoot..even in the house wear slippers. The heel pain is likely from plantar fascitis (your arch needs more support). Hope this helps.

I have nothing to contribute here, except Orthaheels are awesome! They are the only flip flops I wear! I can stay on my feet for hours and never have any foot pain.

Need some opinions....

So how hard do you think it would be for me to do the donald and then the following month the phm? AND how weird would it be to ask my boss (who I am not particularly close with...but we get along well enough) to get us there and then I will have a place for us to stay. Cost would be pretty low for the two of us then... making a second trip just a month after the first one... more doable. (just food and race registration for me and then that plus what ever park tickets she wanted for her...IF she wanted park tickets)

Dh is ok with me making the second trip... he just isn't any help when it comes to how well I will handle two halfs...a month a part.

Am I just too crazy?

I can tell you from the airline non-rev standpoint that it can be hard to get to Orlando since it is a popular place. I would ask your boss first how hard they think it would be on their airline. DH flies for SWA and the planes are PACKED out of San Antonio to Orlando hence we always buy me a ticket as he can sit in the cockpit. Buddy passes and where you are on the list can vary from airline to airline.

That being said...I say no harm no foul and approaching her with your plan...the worst she can say is no and I think you would still get off cheaper if you had to buy an airline ticket vs. airfare.

I ran a 5K today after being on vacation for a month. I didn't eat properly and only was able to run about once a week. Yikes...was it rough! I was about 15 minutes off the pace of my last 5K. Boy do I have a lot of work to do before the half!

I can tell you from the airline non-rev standpoint that it can be hard to get to Orlando since it is a popular place. I would ask your boss first how hard they think it would be on their airline. DH flies for SWA and the planes are PACKED out of San Antonio to Orlando hence we always buy me a ticket as he can sit in the cockpit. Buddy passes and where you are on the list can vary from airline to airline.

That being said...I say no harm no foul and approaching her with your plan...the worst she can say is no and I think you would still get off cheaper if you had to buy an airline ticket vs. airfare.

Thanks for the input. We will see. I think a lot depends on if I actually feel up to running it. 8 miles yesterday kinda took it out of me. Then again... been kinda fluey all week, so maybe that is al it was. It wasn't a horrible time even... just really had me tapped at the end and makes me wonder if I would even be up for 2 halfs so close together.

I know per Ap newsletter Ap holders can register starting JUne 6th so I'd assume same for visa holders.

When do newsletters come out and are they emailed or hard copy? I have not received one, but only had an AP since February.

Thanks for the input. We will see. I think a lot depends on if I actually feel up to running it. 8 miles yesterday kinda took it out of me. Then again... been kinda fluey all week, so maybe that is al it was. It wasn't a horrible time even... just really had me tapped at the end and makes me wonder if I would even be up for 2 halfs so close together.

When do newsletters come out and are they emailed or hard copy? I have not received one, but only had an AP since February.

I had an AP for a year and never got one.

The newsletters are very hit or miss. I have had an AP since 1993. I have had years I got them, and years I have not. Its almost as if when you renew the person entering your data does something that gets you a newsletter or not. My husband has had one most years since we've been married in 2000, and my son has had one since he needed a pass in 2009. A family is supposed to get one per house. 2010, we got none all year. But since 2011 each quarter when they come out at least two of us get one and sometimes all three. My daughter got her first pass in 2011, and has never received one. In other words, there seems to be very little rhyme or reason to who does or does not get them. I've always thought it was weird. Most of the info is online, but if you really want to get one I would call passholder services. My kids love looking at them:)

I had an AP for a year and never got one.

The newsletters are very hit or miss. I have had an AP since 1993. I have had years I got them, and years I have not. Its almost as if when you renew the person entering your data does something that gets you a newsletter or not. My husband has had one most years since we've been married in 2000, and my son has had one since he needed a pass in 2009. A family is supposed to get one per house. 2010, we got none all year. But since 2011 each quarter when they come out at least two of us get one and sometimes all three. My daughter got her first pass in 2011, and has never received one. In other words, there seems to be very little rhyme or reason to who does or does not get them. I've always thought it was weird. Most of the info is online, but if you really want to get one I would call passholder services. My kids love looking at them:)

:rotfl: Sounds like just as with anything else... Disney tends to not be consistent with their communications.

I will have to watch the AP site more then. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter