Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do this! I couldn't run a quarter mile this time last year. I ran almost the entire phm... Minimal stops am only walked the last couple hills. I think 3 times a week and being committed to that will get you there! I did a c2-5k program- then c2-10k(skipped over the c2-5k part). After that I when to a 21k program (that one assumes a 10k starting point). It was slow progress over a year- but it happened!

You will be ready for 2014!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! :thumbsup2 Yes, I'm planning on 3x a week and I'm hoping to add some overall strength training as well on the days I don't run.

I actually started reading your TR for this year's PHM today. I love to hear everyone's personal experiences.

Sign me up! My daughter & I are "in"

We signed up for the Flying Pig 10k in May and the Air Force half Marathon in September to prepare!

party:

#Rundisney

Sign me up! My daughter & I are "in"

We signed up for the Flying Pig 10k in May and the Air Force half Marathon in September to prepare!

party:

#Rundisney

Seriously toying with the Air Force Half myself in Sept... looks to be a great race.

My goal is to do the Princess Half in 2014. I thought I saw
something that showed it being the weekend of Feb 21-23, 2014.

I've never done a half before and really plan to walk most of it. I've
had two knee surgeries and am not interested in having a third. I know
that I could walk/run it within the time period and think the
Princess Half sounds like fun.

Do you think other people walk/run it? I hope I
won't be alone.
You'll be fine with walk/running. Plenty of people just walk or just run. The girls I tend to do races with follow the walk/run training plan. Good luck with your journey!

Princesses who have done this race in the past -- what is your opinion on the race retreat?? Is it worth the extra money?

I am thinking "yes" to pasta in the park.

Probable "yes" to 5K, but if so, is the breakfast following that worth the money?

Registration needs to hurry up and get here -- but I am guessing it will be like the other races, about 8-ish months out :rolleyes1
I think it's worth it if you're bringing small children with. My husband and kiddo were in the race retreat and I know it would've been unbearable for my 4 y/o without the distractions.
I don't think it's worth it if you're thinking of it solely for the breakfast. My husband likened it to a nice hotels continental.

I think I might try for C2C next year. After reading all these posts about C2C, I am going to give it a try and do Tink 1/2 in Jan, the Princess 1/2 in Feb to get my C2C in WDW.

Time to really get the training in gear!!
Those are the races I did for my C2C. I think seasonally they're great race choices (admittedly I'm from blizzard land during jan/feb). Good luck with your training!

longhorns2 said:
Yeaaahhhhh. About that. I usually avoid running in August over 2 miles. Lol. So this will be new territory. I have a treadmill and do train long on it when I need to so I imagine it will be more tm than normal.

And early sat mornings I'll get the outside runs in.

Do you run with someone on those early morning runs? Im fairly new to my running addiction and in the summer I fund that I'm on the treadmill, but with a goal to do one race a month this year, (did I mention I live in GA?), outside training might be unavoidable. I have thought about morning runs, but I run alone and it seems a bit unsafe. Any thoughts?

cupcakegoddess13 said:
I'm (hopefully) in! I literally just started running today. I've been walking 2-3 miles, 3x a week for the past month in preparation. The PHM is what is motivating me to do this, so here I go! Right now I'm doing my own modified run/walk method, 30 sec. run, 1 min walk. Today I did that for 30 mins. with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. Any advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
If it helps, before my first half I had never even walked more than a mile at one time before. I literally started to train in July and by the time Feb. arrived I finished with a 14 min. mile. Last year, my second time around, I trained with a combination of weights and the Jeff Galloway run/walk iPod program and two weeks before the race I completed 13.5 miles with a 11.5 minute mile. Due to the humidity and the crowding, this years Princess I finished with a 14.5 minute mile.

I should also mention that I am the least athletic person I know!

mickeysgal said:
Seriously toying with the Air Force Half myself in Sept... looks to be a great race.

Me too! My son is an airman and is stationed in England, so it is my way of supporting him.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
If it helps, before my first half I had never even walked more than a mile at one time before. I literally started to train in July and by the time Feb. arrived I finished with a 14 min. mile. Last year, my second time around, I trained with a combination of weights and the Jeff Galloway run/walk iPod program and two weeks before the race I completed 13.5 miles with a 11.5 minute mile. Due to the humidity and the crowding, this years Princess I finished with a 14.5 minute mile.

I should also mention that I am the least athletic person I know!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I can already tell this is going to be a great place to help me stay motivated. :) I am also very un-athletic and also am overweight. I think the PHM is going to be a great motivator for me though. I'm already down 7 lbs. since Feb. 1! Lots to go, but you've got to start somewhere.

I did my walk/run routine again this morning and even though my legs felt a bit like lead, the encouraging words I've found here really helped me push through!

cupcakegoddess13 said:
Thank you so much for the encouragement! I can already tell this is going to be a great place to help me stay motivated. :) I am also very un-athletic and also am overweight. I think the PHM is going to be a great motivator for me though. I'm already down 7 lbs. since Feb. 1! Lots to go, but you've got to start somewhere.

I did my walk/run routine again this morning and even though my legs felt a bit like lead, the encouraging words I've found here really helped me push through!

It gets easier! You go girl!

Do you run with someone on those early morning runs? Im fairly new to my running addiction and in the summer I fund that I'm on the treadmill, but with a goal to do one race a month this year, (did I mention I live in GA?), outside training might be unavoidable. I have thought about morning runs, but I run alone and it seems a bit unsafe. Any thoughts?

I think it depends on your area and how early your morning runs will be. If you live in a well-populated area, you could be safe running early in an area with lots of people milling about also at that time. Go with your gut. I always take my phone and ID, no cash, when running outside.

On another topic, I have to rant a bit. Where I live we have a really great 1.3 km running track in a park. The running track spreads about six - eight feet wide, and on the outside is a tile path spreading an even wider length. There are always, always people strolling (and I do mean strolling - women in high heels, families with babies) on the running track, and it drives me crazy. Going from the track surface to the hard surface so frequently to pass them really hurts more than I could have imagined. I wish there were signs to advise non-runner, non-athletic walkers to stay off the track. :sad2: On the upside, I'm now 1/3 of the way through my training plan for my June HM! :cheer2:

hey all..... 3 times princess here. I am going for C2C next year and REALLY want to do Princess AND Tink....now if I have to choose I am just doing Tink...and W&D, but until that is finalized, here I am! Love the princess!

The inspiration here is amazing. I am going on my first outside run since December. I feel like a mouse in a wheel on the treadmill, however with the winter here in eastern Canada it is not safe to run outside. Keep up the good work and motivation ladies!

WishingMom said:
The inspiration here is amazing. I am going on my first outside run since December. I feel like a mouse in a wheel on the treadmill, however with the winter here in eastern Canada it is not safe to run outside. Keep up the good work and motivation ladies!

I hear ya. I hate that dreadmill, but it helped get me through the PHM training when I couldn't run outside.

Just an FYI to all PHM 2013 finishers,the finisher certificates are ready to be printed! :)

Thanks! :goodvibes This was the first year I've run this race and all the information from this forum has been super-helpful! :thumbsup2 It's been great to hear everyones' experiences, too, since we've returned. I saved my photos from the race in a summary file here in case others are interested, as well. Happy running! princess:

For you seasoned runners, has anyone tried the Nike+ running sensor? I have an older iPod and cannot download the app so I was going to buy the sensor which is compatible with my iPod!

Welcome to all the new princesses! Like SaySay, this was my 3rd princess. I started running in July 2010, just before I turned 40, with the goal of the Princess in mind and have been hooked ever since! I wasn't overweight when I started but I still thought I was going to die! The main motivator? Plunking down cash for the non refundable reg fee and telling everyone I met that I was going to do this! Check out the blog sigs of veteran princesses for pictures of past events. You can also troll YouTube for some really fun and inspiring videos! I watched those repeatedly when I was training! My #1 tip? Find a nice, flat course for a good 10k time to submit when you register. A 10k time is not required but it helps get you into a quicker start time and out of the crowded back of the pack.
It's always fun to see new runners start their journey!

I will follow Amy...a 10K is good for better corral placement and will also give you an idea of how you are doing.
I will also suggest you print out a calendar (I use printfree dot com and get the two months on one sheet). On this calendar, write down what you did for the day. I like to write milage and time it took to complete. I also record cross training. One can get busy and time slips away and before you know it, it has been 3 or 4 day since a run/walk. I write if I have been sick or had a bad headache the night before a run and my weight and that once a month event (ok. so I'm old enough that I am over that, but all of your aren't).

I have all of my sheet since I started distance training in 2008 for the Minnie Marathon (a 15K that was held in May) and I can look back and see my past plans and where I can change or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter