• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those using the Galloway app - have you had any issues with it? I've read so many good reviews of his plan here, but when I went to buy the app, it seems many are saying its pretty buggy.

Are you guys using the app to train? Or just following his plan?

The app was pretty buggy when I first downloaded it but I haven't had any issues in a while. I just make sure I do the updates as soon as they come available.
I am using the app to train. I need music and the cues.

Popping in quick to catch up and say Congrats to all who've raced over the holiday! And Welcome to all the new "faces" - this is such a great group :)

V...loved the blog...sorry WDW was yucky ! I think this is why DH and I enjoy the cooler, less crowded Oct time at WDW.

Hot and humid here in San Antonio too...still wondering how much I had to drink when I agreed to do the DL half with DH labor day weekend !:scared: did I not think training during the TX summer would be ...BRUTAL ?:confused3

Hi all!

I'm a newbie (to this board, Disney races, and Disney in general)! I've never been to Disney (terribly sad, I know), but will be doing Glass Slipper in 2014!

Can't wait to poke around here a little and become a more active poster :)

Oh My! and WELCOME! to the addiction...bwhahahaha:banana:

Popping in quick to catch up and say Congrats to all who've raced over the holiday! And Welcome to all the new "faces" - this is such a great group :)
I did my first official 10K on Wed night. No more night races for me - YUK! The anticipation all day, the rearranging of meals and meal times, the afternoon tiredness that comes from not sleeping well in anticipation..all too much HOWEVER in 100 degree heat index, incredible humidity, hilly terrain...I was able to get a PR of 1:14.27. I was VERY happy with that :banana:
Now I have my first half marathon this Saturday. I know stupid to have them this close but will be even closer at GSC sooooo. I'm really just doing this to see how my body holds out so far. I've never gone 13.1 even in training. Most is 8miles...the treadmill is BORING hours on end. Using Jeff's race time predictor I'm hoping to finish the half in under 3hrs BUT I'll be happy with under FOUR, LOL!

I'm so proud of myself for coming this far, and so excited to see what I'll have accomplished by February!

As well you should be. Another WW member here. Down 120lbs in two years. It's amazing how we can change our lives and we are in total control of that! Congrats to you and your new body as it is and as it's soon to be!

I'll second this! I did the C25K program on the treadmill and did fine, making it through the last 5k run portion with no walking (albeit with a pretty slow pace). I then started running outside and it was like starting all over.
-Astrid

Well ladies thanks for the suggestions. I'm not able to run outside locally, not safe alone and I have no one to run with so..that being what it is the treadmill is working for me. Trained for the 10K on it and got a PR at the actual race under miserable conditions. Nike+ is saying I hit 5K before the treadmill does so I guess I've been training a bit further distance than I thought...or else Nike+ is wrong..one of them isn't right, LOL but I guess it doesn't really matter. I'm ordering a Polar Ft7 to help me track heart rate. I think that's where my training needs some help right now. I can't seem to go faster than 6.2 on the treadmill for 2min. I've been getting some help / suggestions on FB and it seems I should slow down my pace or decrease my walk/run intervals to 1:1. So that is my plan for the half this Saturday. We'll see how that works out. The other thing I did was make a "mantra" list with one mantra for each mile and laminated it. I think it would make a great tattoo so I'm thinking of setting up an Etsy store for selling it. I know I'd have bought one if I could find one so I guess I'll just make them!::yes::

Does anyone wear Saucony brand shoes? If so, what is the difference from the progrid ride 3 to the progrid ride 5 style?

Just an FYI in case you are on the fence.... Princess half is 87% full. Just about getting to the time if you or someone you know is wanting to sign up. That last 10% can go very quickly.....or slowly! : )

Does anyone wear Saucony brand shoes? If so, what is the difference from the progrid ride 3 to the progrid ride 5 style?

Don't have the answer (Rides were my original shoe til they changed the last), but you can try RunningWarehouse shoe finder. If you go to the Ride 5 (or 6) page and pick "show me how it fits", enter your current shoe info, it will bring up a 3d model showing fit compared to the Ride 3. Looks like it may be a little looser in the toe box. (And if you order from RW, don't forget the WISH discount!)

If you look at Runner's World, they have reviews for the 3, 4, 5, 6. Looks like the shoe got lighter and more flexible from version 3 to 4.

Hope that helps.

Maura
Maura

I see all these posts about all the walking helping people lose weight, but is anyone gaining weight while training? I have not changed my eating habits, but I keep gaining weight. :confused3

Just an FYI in case you are on the fence.... Princess half is 87% full. Just about getting to the time if you or someone you know is wanting to sign up. That last 10% can go very quickly.....or slowly! : )

I have a friend that's considering it.....she still has a few weeks, right? So strange that this is selling so quickly. I registered in mid-October last year!

I see all these posts about all the walking helping people lose weight, but is anyone gaining weight while training? I have not changed my eating habits, but I keep gaining weight. :confused3

Have you taken measurements? I'm counting calories and noticing that my clothes are fitting looser and my measurements are going down, but my actual weight on the scale is staying the same.

Where'sPiglet? said:

Are you just building muscle? I've come to measure my progress more by how I feel and how my clothes fit. ;)

I've gained 6 pounds since I started running in January 2012, and nothing I do (besides get the flu) can get it off. My thighs have gone up more than 1 inch each! But I was thin to begin with, and running has increased my appetite, but even cutting calories and exercising more doesn't help. I've come to accept it. :confused3

I would make sure that you aren't actually eating more calories now that you're exercising but in the same turn, make sure you aren't eating too few calories. It's a difficult balance - one that I still haven't been able to find!

I saw someone asked about the WISH Runningwarehouse discount - it is WISHRACED. It has saved me a lot of money since I buy almost all of my running stuff from them!

I would make sure that you aren't actually eating more calories now that you're exercising but in the same turn, make sure you aren't eating too few calories. It's a difficult balance - one that I still haven't been able to find!

Agreed....it's so hard, but once you find that calorie sweet spot, I think you'll start to see the weight come off. I absolutely have to track my calories otherwise I eat everything in my house after a run.

:blush:

V...loved the blog...sorry WDW was yucky ! I think this is why DH and I enjoy the cooler, less crowded Oct time at WDW.
Thanks... we just got back from our annual July 4 trip - and the 4th itself was FANTASTIC! More than adequately staffed at EP, fun, relaxed crowds, just really nice, despite the heat and crowds. Ditto for TL, which I suspect can't reduce staff to cut costs due to the safety factor. Sadly, the other days were back to what seems to be the new norm for WDW: understaffed, sizzling hot and way too crowded. Seriously, TWO cashiers for dinner at POR when the resort is full?! :sad2: We actually decided to go back to making WDW a day or weekend getaway instead of a full vacation destination; it's just lost a lot of fun for us in recent years. :sad1:

Hot and humid here in San Antonio too...still wondering how much I had to drink when I agreed to do the DL half with DH labor day weekend !:scared: did I not think training during the TX summer would be ...BRUTAL ?:confused3
Oh, how I do sympathize! :hug: I swear, this summer seems so much worse than last summer did. :headache:

HOWEVER in 100 degree heat index, incredible humidity, hilly terrain...I was able to get a PR of 1:14.27. I was VERY happy with that :banana:
AWE-some!!! :yay: I think you'll surprise yourself with the 1/2 ::yes:: :thumbsup2

I'm not gaining but I'm not losing either. Ever since I upped my mileage this year I haven't been able to lose (and I have another 20 or so to lose). I contribute it to training, I think I'm hungrier with the miles I'm putting in.

I know it was mentioned earlier, but if you are on the fence you might need to move SOON on PHM!

It's at 87% and Tink opened up for general registration- sooo anyone who is a Tinker longing for the pink C2C may be finally moved to snap up the remaining spots.

conversely... if you want that Pink C2C... it's go time!

http://margaritasmilesandmouse.blogspot.com/2013/07/you-can-fly.html

Get your wings and pink C2C!!!

fruitcakes24 said:
Agreed....it's so hard, but once you find that calorie sweet spot, I think you'll start to see the weight come off. I absolutely have to track my calories otherwise I eat everything in my house after a run.

:blush:

Ladies (maybe a few gentleman), you are all doing a great job and continue to role models for countless number of people you probably don't even know you have helped (just to keep in mind)

That being said, I joined this thread as I am running this with/for my sister (her birthday present). And I can understand your frustrations with countting calories and all that. Just this past week I met with a nutritionist and gained some very good insight into myself as well as my nutrion needs (which were severely low for the amount of stuff I do).

My insurance actually pays for 4 visits a year, and if nutrition is something you struggle with, even if you have to pay could be worth it. I will fill in some of my findings as I talk more to them (another appointment Monday for my actual meal plan) but we just talked about things like pickle juice for cramps, Gatorade (just on long runs) and how to divide up a plate as an athlete (yes, you are ALL athletes, whether you want to believe it or not).

One thing that's hard for people that have lost a lot of weight (myself included) is to increase calories because you don't want to get big again. I always thought oh, I just have slow metabolism, turns out not so much and I've been under eating by 1000-1200 calories a day! (At least according to this strange blow into a tube test).

So ill keep everyone up to date maybe it would be worth the visit for you too! Keep pushing I know each and everyone of you will make it to the end of this journey whether its your first race or 500th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter