• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Calling all nurses! (Or nurses-to-be)

I was looking at online programs. And Boston is too cold! BRRRR! (and too far from Mickey :goodvibes )

ha! No kidding!! Stay far away from snow, it's not fun!
I looked at online programs also, a while ago, for nurse midwife. I really wanted to do it but couldn't justify taking out more loans. The online programs looked great though. Good luck!

ha! No kidding!! Stay far away from snow, it's not fun!
I looked at online programs also, a while ago, for nurse midwife. I really wanted to do it but couldn't justify taking out more loans. The online programs looked great though. Good luck!

Jaime do you keep your FNP certification current?

Jaime do you keep your FNP certification current?

I am currently still certified, but it is the last year that i'll keep it. You need so many hrs of NP work and it's unlikely that i'll be using it within the next several years, while the kids are still small and i'm playing chauffeur to them... To get recertified later, I will have to have 200 hours of supervised visits in NH. So, it's sad to see it go, but I do like th freedom and flexibility (and pay) of my current job.

I am currently still certified, but it is the last year that i'll keep it. You need so many hrs of NP work and it's unlikely that i'll be using it within the next several years, while the kids are still small and i'm playing chauffeur to them... To get recertified later, I will have to have 200 hours of supervised visits in NH. So, it's sad to see it go, but I do like th freedom and flexibility (and pay) of my current job.

I work the bare minimum to keep mine up, about 5-8 hours a week, I have to do a boatload of CEU's though which is a royal pain LOL
I am due to re-certify this summer, and I have to get rolling on the credits, thank goodness for online things!
I almost thought about letting mine go until I came across the part time job I have now. Like yours its flexible which is important for me right now. and....... I just did NOT want to take the test again with ANCC!

I work the bare minimum to keep mine up, about 5-8 hours a week, I have to do a boatload of CEU's though which is a royal pain LOL
I am due to re-certify this summer, and I have to get rolling on the credits, thank goodness for online things!
I almost thought about letting mine go until I came across the part time job I have now. Like yours its flexible which is important for me right now. and....... I just did NOT want to take the test again with ANCC!

I am so bad with keeping up with the credits now. Though this year will only do the RN portion, so it's not so bad. When I worked full-time as an NP, I was paid to go to conferences so it was easier and much more fun. :) Now I think about it during my birthday month, when my licenses are due, then scramble to finish them.
You're lucky to find a flexible NP job. If I could have found one, I would have done that just to keep my license. A friend of mine just found one also, working about 8 hrs/week, after staying at home for the past 2 years after her daughter was born.
So someday i'll be taking that ANCC test again... :)

I was (am?) an NP. Worked as an NP until my 2nd child was about 8 mos old. I was having a hard time leaving the kids everyday, didn't enjoy it anymore because of that. Now I work on the weekends as a visiting nurse instead. All is that irrelevant to the conversation, except that I wanted to throw in that I will finally pay off SallieMae within the next 3 mos. After 10 yrs!! :banana:

Aww! (hugs)

If I was open to student loans, I would have finished back in 1999. My daughter was an infant then, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Now she's 12 (my son is 15), I wanted to finish before they went to college. LOL

Congrats! Do you have a specialty? My dermatologist's office wants me, but skin isn't a big interest of mine. Hospice wants NPs as well, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little here.

I will be starting classes June 2nd for my LPN! Can't wait! Its gonna be rough...haven't been in school since 1995!

Aww! (hugs)

If I was open to student loans, I would have finished back in 1999. My daughter was an infant then, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Now she's 12 (my son is 15), I wanted to finish before they went to college. LOL

Congrats! Do you have a specialty? My dermatologist's office wants me, but skin isn't a big interest of mine. Hospice wants NPs as well, but they work you like a dog and pay you very little here.

I was working in internal med for years, now i work in homecare (not hospice). You have to be a special kind of person to do hospice, it's not for me! My patients do well for the most part, then we discharge them.. :)
I don't blame you for having less interest in derm, I wouldn't either! I worked in a family practice for about a year and really liked seeing all the families, having both the kids and parents, sometimes grandparents all as patients. Then when I did internal med instead, I ended up really liking that also. Tons of chronic diseases.
Then when I had my 3rd child and he was in the NICU for a few weeks, I thought that looked interesting, too, but haven't tried that path yet. Good thing about nursing is you can change it up every so often. :)

Officially only ONE MORE YEAR TO GO!!!! I finished up this semester with a B in Psych (right on the edge of a B+) and a B+ in Community... still waiting for my Nursing research grades, but she told us we all passed, so I'm officially free until August 29th!!!

Next fall we dive right into Med Surg II and some class called Contemporary Topics in Nursing (??)

then Spring is our Practicum (160 hours one on one) and lots of NCLEX prep and then it's all over!! :woohoo: :woohoo::yay::dance3:

Officially only ONE MORE YEAR TO GO!!!! I finished up this semester with a B in Psych (right on the edge of a B+) and a B+ in Community... still waiting for my Nursing research grades, but she told us we all passed, so I'm officially free until August 29th!!!

Next fall we dive right into Med Surge II and some class called Contemporary Topics in Nursing (??)

then Spring is our Practicum (160 hours one on one) and lots of NCLEX prep and then it's all over!! :woohoo: :woohoo::yay::dance3:

yay! congrats, enjoy your free time!

I don't usually peruse the community boards but decided to take a look today and found this thread. I'm a new grad RN, just got my license last month and am still looking for a job.

I've had one interview for an ER position and didn't get it and have an interview next week for a regular med/surg job. Hmm is there a fingers crossed smiley?

I don't usually peruse the community boards but decided to take a look today and found this thread. I'm a new grad RN, just got my license last month and am still looking for a job.

I've had one interview for an ER position and didn't get it and have an interview next week for a regular med/surg job. Hmm is there a fingers crossed smiley?

Good luck! as a new grad I am sure you have a much better shot at a med/surg position than the ER position.
let us know how it goes!

So my interview on Tuesday (5/24) went great, but I still haven't heard anything. Should I wait it out since this was a holiday weekend, or should I be calling HR? I just want to know, one way or another! :scared:

So my interview on Tuesday (5/24) went great, but I still haven't heard anything. Should I wait it out since this was a holiday weekend, or should I be calling HR? I just want to know, one way or another! :scared:

Call tomorrow! They'll see your enthusiasm and that can't hurt!

My summer classes start next week.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy for doing this.

Once I'm finished, I hope I'll feel it was worth it.

Jaime, internal med sounds wonderful! There's a local multi specialty clinic (8 miles from my house) that uses lots of NPs. I'd love the lack of commute!

:dance3:I start the RN program in August:dance3: It has definitely been a long road:worship: But I definitely feel it is worth it!

I will be starting classes June 2nd for my LPN! Can't wait! Its gonna be rough...haven't been in school since 1995!

Good luck! I'll be starting my LPN program in August. I've been a SAHM for 25 years, graduated high school in 1979. I'm so ready for this too! It WILL be rough, but I'm ready for the challenge.

My summer classes start next week.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy for doing this.

Once I'm finished, I hope I'll feel it was worth it.

Jaime, internal med sounds wonderful! There's a local multi specialty clinic (8 miles from my house) that uses lots of NPs. I'd love the lack of commute!

I may have missed it, what classes are you starting?

:dance3:I start the RN program in August:dance3: It has definitely been a long road:worship: But I definitely feel it is worth it!
good luck!

Good luck! I'll be starting my LPN program in August. I've been a SAHM for 25 years, graduated high school in 1979. I'm so ready for this too! It WILL be rough, but I'm ready for the challenge.
good luck to you as well!

I take my NCLEX on Monday the 13th.

good luck! let us know how it goes:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter