Calling All Math Whizzes

chip 'n dale rule

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to help my son wiith his math homework and it has been far too long siince I have done this math! We are stuck on two problems.

Simplify
2(-3x squared+4x-8) +x(4-3y)

I couldn't figure out how to write the superscript 2 on my ipad

Translate the expression and define the variable

4 more than 6 times as many notebooks

TIA for any help!!!:)

I'm trying to help my son wiith his math homework and it has been far too long siince I have done this math! We are stuck on two problems.

Simplify

I couldn't figure out how to write the superscript 2 on my ipad

Translate the expression and define the variable

4 more than 6 times as many notebooks

TIA for any help!!!:)

Multiply the 2 across the first parenthesis. Multiply the x across the second. then combine like terms.

Ask him what the word 'more' stands for in math, and then what 'times' stands for. He should be able to come up with an equation. Have him look the word 'variable' up in a dictionary.

That should help him be able to solve the problems himself. (Or were you looking for the answers?)

I'm pretty rusty too but it looks like he's studying distribution?

1.) You need to distribute the values outside of the parenthesis across what's inside. i.e..

2 times (-3x^2) + 2 times (4x) - 2 times (8) + x times (4) - x times (3y)

-6x^2 + 8x -16 + 4x - 3xy

Then because you have 2 expressions with the same variable ( 8x and 4x ) you can combine them:

-6x^2 + 12x - 16 -3xy

2.) x = notebooks

"six times as many notebooks" would be 6x
"4 more than ..." would be

6x+4

Like I said, I'm a bit rusty so I would see if you get others in agreement :)

Try Khan Academy online. They have great math tutorials for kids.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Is this a PEMDAS equation? Parentheses first, then exponents, then multiply or divide, then add or subtract? I think you have to PEMDAS each equation...?

Math was never my strong suit... Hope you find the answer!

1.) You need to distribute the values outside of the parenthesis across what's inside. i.e..

Then because you have 2 expressions with the same variable ( 8x and 4x ) you can combine them:

-6x^2 + 12x - 16 -3xy

2.) x = notebooks

6x+4

You gave them the answers :sad2:

-6x^2 + 12x - 16 -3xy

2.) x = notebooks

6x+4

This is how I would read it and how I would solve it. I would have him work on distribution and working on things like what times means, what more than means when deciding on how to write equations. I would not just give him the answers straight off but have him work through a similar problem you can find online through places like Khan Academy or making up examples yourself. Once he has practiced with some with your assistance and guidance then have him try the homework problem again. He won't learn anything if you just give him the answers.

You gave them the answers :sad2:

There is nothing wrong with the parent getting the answer as long as when they go to work with their child they make the child work through the problem on their own. This gives the parent an idea of how the problem should be solved and what the correct answer is so they can correct the student's errors. If the parent doesn't know how to solve the problem, and can't get the right answer they can't help the student work through the problem and know if the work the child does is right or wrong.

I'm sure that many feel they are perfect and know every problem, every solution, and never needed any help based on some of the responses made here and in other threads when it comes to people needing help but I'm just curious if the only reason to post is to scold for giving the answer why bother posting instead of closing the thread and moving on to the next?

Why not give constructive feedback that benefits others by giving suggestions on how it could have been handled differently at least giving the OP something else to use in the future to solve the situations that arise when working with math problems?

For example, explaining what distribution is, how it works using a similar problem, suggestions for how to explain the ways to identify what the equation is and how to set it up. That wouldn't give the answers to the problems but gives them a guide to then substitute their information and come up with the answer on their own. Instead of scolding it becomes a lesson on how to do it without giving away the answer.
:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter