• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Kentucky Bluegrass DVCers

This is my very first post so I wanted to make sure to post to our home state page first. We just joined in June and home resort is AKV. We live in Richmond but all of us bleed blue. Next trip will be early November at home resort. So excited to be part of DVC!!!!

Welcome and great first post. And, congrats on the new membership and many years of Disney vacations. Have you been before? What are your plans?

We go to WDW two or three times a year but the last visit we stayed at OKW and fell in love with DVC. Once we crunched the numbers we realized we were crazy not to join. DD (21) and DS (5) think it is their home away from home and now I guess it is!

We go to WDW two or three times a year but the last visit we stayed at OKW and fell in love with DVC. Once we crunched the numbers we realized we were crazy not to join. DD (21) and DS (5) think it is their home away from home and now I guess it is!

Yeah, we always ask why we didn't join sooner. We've done once a year since 2005, and twice a year for a few of those.

Your pattern is very similar to ours except we have been known to go in July. It can very relaxing during the summer. We tend to stay at OKW and the quiet pools are very relaxing, then go for a nice dinner somewhere and enjoy the parks in the evening when temps are manageable.

We also had to skip a couple of years when the kids where in high school. Since it's just DH & I we hope our new schedule will be WDW in May & Dec, Aulani in Sept. and a Disney cruise in the mix somewhere.

Our next trip is not until Dec. We are booked for a week on the Fantasy then 3 nights at BLT afterwards if all goes as planned. Has been a rough year so far. Besides my Dad being sick just lost a very dear friend with cancer just 6 weeks after he was diagnosed. Really haven't gotten excited about planning anything lately, but the need to just get away is there.

We have never been in July based on the crowds/point cost.. We have hit HHI and Myrtle Beach in July and enjoyed both. We have our first DCL booked for next October in the middle of F & W. It has been a challenging year for us too. So a trip to see the mouse was in order.

Welcome home! We have been members since 93 so our two boys really did think they had a second home at OKW. Now it's just DH & I and we love having DVC as our second home.

We have never been in July based on the crowds/point cost.. We have hit HHI and Myrtle Beach in July and enjoyed both. We have our first DCL booked for next October in the middle of F & W. It has been a challenging year for us too. So a trip to see the mouse was in order.

We love DCL! This will be our 3rd Disney cruise. Castaway Cays is a wonderful private island for Disney.
One place we have never tried is HHI We had tried booking several times and things just has come up that we have never made it there. One of these days we will make our way there.

Sorry about this delayed report.

The last restaurant in Haleiwa was "Breakers" that I couldn't remember.

Thurs: We took off early that morning heading to Diamond Head. Of course traffic is congested during the week so takes a good 45-60 minutes to get there. Took about 50 min to hike up (not in the shape I use to be) but the view is beautiful and a must to do at least once. It was lunch time by the time we finished so we stopped at the Diamond Head Market Grill a couple of streets over from the main road. It was just a walk up window with a few picnic tables to sit on which we had to wait on to sit. DH had a burger & I had a portobello burger, both were very good. After lunch we got on Pali Hwy to go to Pali Lookout. Oh what a view of the East side. Pali lookout is stated to be one of the windest places on Oahu along with Diamond head, but it is also one of the coolest places we visited. Pali Hwy runs right into downtown Kailua. Kailua & Lanikai (down the road) beaches are two of the most scenic beaches. We could have easily spent the day here, but a stroll along the waters is all we had time for that day. We wanted to visit Valley of the Temples but ran out of time. We drove back across the H-3 which is elevated high above the ground along the mountains. It is just a beautiful drive, but once you start to drive on it you have to go all the way across.

Fri: Resort day. We snorkled Rainbow Reef, enjoyed the pool, lazy river and watched the Starlit Hui that evening. Rainbow reef is $20/day or $39 for LOS with DVC members receiving a discount. Stalit Hui is a wonderful show that Disney puts on.

Sat: Pearl Harbor day We bought our tickets online & did the passport tour. Which included Arizona, Bowfin (submarine), USS Mo & Pacific Air Museum with head phones for the audio tour for PH & the sub. Plan on all day event & maybe even a second day depending on your level of interest. We did not even make it to the Air Museum, partly due to getting a later start than we wanted and this was the day I received a message on my phone to call my sister about my dad. (I had phone off while touring the Arizona) After calling back home it was a little harder to enjoy the rest of the tour. After we left DH wanted to stop & eat dinner at the Outback near the resort. Again good food and a lot cheaper then the resort restaurants.

Sun -Tues: We just stayed at the resort and enjoyed everything there. I wasn't up to visiting anything else. Decided at this point not to do the Luau at Paradise Cove figured I wanted to do this when I would enjoy it more as well as anything else on the island, instead of thinking about how my Dad was doing even though they were telling me he was doing ok.

I still have many things on my list to do when we return to Aulani. Looking forward to returning again next Sept. There is many things to enjoy at the resort and we only touched base with some of it. I started the Art of Aulani tour which talks about all the art work around the resort. It is one thing I would love to listen to in more detail & understanding all the details that Disney has put into the resort. It is amazing everything that is at the resort! Wish I was there now!:)

Thurs: We took off early that morning heading to Diamond Head. Of course traffic is congested during the week so takes a good 45-60 minutes to get there. Took about 50 min to hike up (not in the shape I use to be) but the view is beautiful and a must to do at least once. It was lunch time by the time we finished so we stopped at the Diamond Head Market Grill a couple of streets over from the main road. It was just a walk up window with a few picnic tables to sit on which we had to wait on to sit. DH had a burger & I had a portobello burger, both were very good. After lunch we got on Pali Hwy to go to Pali Lookout. Oh what a view of the East side. Pali lookout is stated to be one of the windest places on Oahu along with Diamond head, but it is also one of the coolest places we visited. Pali Hwy runs right into downtown Kailua. Kailua & Lanikai (down the road) beaches are two of the most scenic beaches. We could have easily spent the day here, but a stroll along the waters is all we had time for that day. We wanted to visit Valley of the Temples but ran out of time. We drove back across the H-3 which is elevated high above the ground along the mountains. It is just a beautiful drive, but once you start to drive on it you have to go all the way across.

Fri: Resort day. We snorkled Rainbow Reef, enjoyed the pool, lazy river and watched the Starlit Hui that evening. Rainbow reef is $20/day or $39 for LOS with DVC members receiving a discount. Stalit Hui is a wonderful show that Disney puts on.

Sat: Pearl Harbor day We bought our tickets online & did the passport tour. Which included Arizona, Bowfin (submarine), USS Mo & Pacific Air Museum with head phones for the audio tour for PH & the sub. Plan on all day event & maybe even a second day depending on your level of interest. We did not even make it to the Air Museum, partly due to getting a later start than we wanted and this was the day I received a message on my phone to call my sister about my dad. (I had phone off while touring the Arizona) After calling back home it was a little harder to enjoy the rest of the tour. After we left DH wanted to stop & eat dinner at the Outback near the resort. Again good food and a lot cheaper then the resort restaurants.

Sun -Tues: We just stayed at the resort and enjoyed everything there. I wasn't up to visiting anything else. Decided at this point not to do the Luau at Paradise Cove figured I wanted to do this when I would enjoy it more as well as anything else on the island, instead of thinking about how my Dad was doing even though they were telling me he was doing ok.

I still have many things on my list to do when we return to Aulani. Looking forward to returning again next Sept. There is many things to enjoy at the resort and we only touched base with some of it. I started the Art of Aulani tour which talks about all the art work around the resort. It is one thing I would love to listen to in more detail & understanding all the details that Disney has put into the resort. It is amazing everything that is at the resort! Wish I was there now!:)

Sounds like a great trip. We plan to go to Aulani for our 20th or 25th anniversary and unless we win the lottery, that will be our only trip. I just want to hang at the resort and enjoy what I can walk to; however, DW wants to go to Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor.

Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to hear your dad is doing ok.

How successful have you been in skipping a year at WDW. We have 3 trips and a cruise planned in the next 16 months all with/at WDW. We are thinking of skipping Disney in 2014 :sick: to allow our points to build up for a HUGE anniversary trip to Hawaii. Is that doable? What have you done in "off" years? Can I stay away from my beloved Disney? Any/all tips suggestions are appreciated. We thought maybe a week at Myrtle Beach or something since we are also saving funds for the Hawaii trip. and that is more affordable and only a 7-8 hour drive so no flights needed. It is just DH and I but we are the biggest kids we know!

How successful have you been in skipping a year at WDW. We have 3 trips and a cruise planned in the next 16 months all with/at WDW. We are thinking of skipping Disney in 2014 :sick: to allow our points to build up for a HUGE anniversary trip to Hawaii. Is that doable? What have you done in "off" years? Can I stay away from my beloved Disney? Any/all tips suggestions are appreciated. We thought maybe a week at Myrtle Beach or something since we are also saving funds for the Hawaii trip. and that is more affordable and only a 7-8 hour drive so no flights needed. It is just DH and I but we are the biggest kids we know!

I know you weren't asking me the question. But, for last 3 years, we had made 2 trips to WDW a year. This year, we did Hilton Head DVC in April and a expanded summer staycation - RFC/ Opry Mills in Nashville, Children's Museum Indy, Reds game, Mammoth Cave. I'm having withdrawals and can't wait for BLT in October

How successful have you been in skipping a year at WDW.

Not very! We did have an 18 month hiatus when we had our firstborn. Oct 2003 then back in March 2005. It wasn't that difficult because we were busy with a new baby. :) But we've always went at least once a year. That said, we are skipping this year and heading to HHI in October. We've decided that we'll go to WDW every other year as they seem to be pricing us out of a vacation. If we have to buy tickets only every other year, that'll be a little more manageable.

We may not get back for a while though as we are planning our first trip to CA next year instead of WDW. While I'll hate missing WDW, maybe Disneyland will be a close second. :snooty:

We miss it dearly when we don't visit WDW. This past spring was the first time we missed the F&G show in several years and I really missed it. Of course going to Aulani helped but WDW is just "home". It will be a whole year since we have been to WDW. We went last in Dec and will be going again this Dec for a few days with a cruise. For long weekend trips we like Nashville, IN or Gatlinburg. For a beach retreat we like the Gulf side ..Destin, Gulf Shores area. We also go to San Antonio, Tx (son is there) Love the riverwalk.
Right now I am really missing it but yet I will survive! Looking forward to a weekend getaway to Nashville,IN here in a couple of weeks just to get away from a hectic schedule. As long as you have a trip planned then you can at least have something to look forward to. :)

We are heading to TN in October (a friends wedding) and going again to TN in November for Thanksgiving. We wanted to do Disney for turkey day but with some of the kids only getting 2 days off and the distance and expense we were out voted. We "plan" to skip the world in 2014 but are already worried bout missing it and we have 3 trips and a cruise planned before 2014! I don't think we will make it, at least it sounds like we are in good company.:rotfl2:

Wishing my fellow Ky'ers a safe and happy holiday weekend. It is going to be a wet one here in NKY!

Did anybody make it to the DisMeet in Indianapolis? We wanted to go but it wasn't in the cards? Has there ever been one in KY? I wonder if folks would like to have one. I was talking with another DVC member who I work with and she I were talking about organizing one if we had enough interest.

Did anybody make it to the DisMeet in Indianapolis? We wanted to go but it wasn't in the cards? Has there ever been one in KY? I wonder if folks would like to have one. I was talking with another DVC member who I work with and she I were talking about organizing one if we had enough interest.

I didn't know there was a DisMeet, but Indy is too far for me to drive. I've met a few from DisBoards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter