Calling all Fireman wives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone!

sandy - how is the weather?

sam - how is school? How is the new puppy?

We are so ready for the school year to be over! I went back to the dentist yesterday. I don't know if i mentioned it before, but I have a huge dentist phobia!!!!:scared1: Well, I have been making myself go to get all caught up. Today my jaw HURTS! It popped a couple of times yesterday and now it hurts to open my mouth. I am such a whiner!!

Cold and rainy :cold: :umbrella:

I slept with the electric blanket last night, and now I"m regretting it. I slept so good, and so hard, that I'm now tired this morning - have you ever had that happen to you? It's weird!!!!

Today is Sophie's 1st bday :dog: I can't believe that she's not a little baby anymore, but she'll always be my little puppy :goodvibes

It's good you went to the dentist - I really need to also. I wish I would have been able to go before Kevin lost his job, so now I"m just praying that nothing happens (it's been forever since I've gone :blush: )

Well, I gotta run - have a good day!!! :wave:

hi! Sunny is doing good. She doesnt like to be left alone. Marc left her for about 20 min. in the backyard and she dug out and went to the neighbors. then He left her in the bathroom, and she cried. Oh and i just found out that she ripped a big hole in my bathrobe that marc mom gave me!:mad: Except for that incident, she has been great, and doing well on housebreaking. No accidents. Now we just have to get the cats to like her. They are being possessive and one slept on my stomach last night while the other slept on my pillows around my head. so uncomfortable!:headache:

got to go to class! Have a great day everyone!

I should so not get on ebay! It becomes a challenge! What started as looking for Lilly dresses for Sarah has grown into dresses, pants and Penn reels! :confused3 Stop me!!

sandy - I am sorry your weather is yucky. We have been sunny, 80's with a light breeze. our humidity has been low - it is so nice! Happy birthday to Sophie!! I have many more dentist visits to go to get all caught up! Aaarrgghh! I am glad I have dental insurance! I will keep my fingers crossed for you to have no problems until Kevin is settled in a new job with benefits! How is that going, by the way?

sam - Fifi (our inside dog) loves her crate! She can't tear things up while we aren't here and she feels safe. Plus we can take it with us when we travel. She has been to the station a few times with Jim. he outs her in her crate if they go on a run and at night.

CB - puppies can be such a challenge!!! Maybe get a crate for her, and she'll get in less trouble for you. I still keep Sophie in a crate, and will for a long time, just to keep her from being mischieviouse (sp?)

Karen - Thanks for Sophie's bday wish :dog:
**Kevin's job hunting is very very slow. He has put out 100's of resumes - I really mean 100's, and he's gotten very little response. It's very frustrating, because he's a worker, and wants to go back to work - thanks for asking!!!!

Well, I gotta run - have a good day!!! :wave:

It is the last day of Synagis season!!!!
:dance3::woohoo:party::jumping3::jumping2:

My last appointment today is at 4pm in Foley (about 1 hour from home) so it will be a long day, but I am still glad! Things will slow to a crawl at the office now. There was talk of the owner cutting hours. I need to work full time, so this has worried me. It looks like now she may tell the two newer part time nurses that she can't use them in the summer months. One of the nurses will be on maternity leave and the other fulltime nurse (an LPN) does filing during the summer, so i should get to keep my hours.
My nephew Scott and his wife Susan are having a baby today! Zane Greggory will be the first great-grandbaby (grand nephew in my case) in the family! Because of my schedule I can't go today - they are at a hospital about 2 hours away - so I will go tomorrow.
Emily is on a field trip. they are going to the Shakespeare Festival in MOntgomery. This is one of those big deal, tradition field trips - they have been waiting all year. Jim took her and her best friend Emily to meet the bus at 5:30 am!!:eek: They will get back at 5:30 tonite.

Have a great day everyone!

What is Synagis season? :blush: :confused:

I hope and pray that your hours don't get cut:wizard::wizard:
Are you getting slower because of winter being over, or is it because of the economy?

How is the new baby - have you heard?
Congrats on becoming a Great Aunt:goodvibes

Did Emily have fun on her field trip?

Well, I'm off and running - have a good day!! :wave:

Wow...I have been lurking around the disboards for awhile and just now stumbled upon this thread...this is great! I have kind of a long story...I joined our local VFD when I was 18. I loved going to help others, but I really loved fire prevention and teaching the kids. I attended TX A&M fire school severel summers and loved every minute. Through the fire dept. I met another FF who was at the time asst chief in his VFD and only 21 yrs old. We became good friends and I knew I was going to marry him some day. We began dating and he also became the youngest chief of a VFD in TX at 23. We got in engaged after coming home from fire school at A&M .We married a year later of course with a fire truck there and a grooms cake decked out in FD stuff! We have been married 8 yrs now and have 2 beautiful daughters. My husband is still the chief(10yrs) and we own a insurance company. So he does have the flexibility to leave when the tones go off. I also have the flexibility to stay home with our girls and come to the office when I need to. My DH is also the Emergency Management Cordinator for our small town and is on 2 different board of directors for fire associations. He does have usually at least 2 meetings a week, but he always puts us first and makes sure that he is the best husband and daddy! He recently got an award here in south texas called the Everyday Hero award. He was featured in a magazine and in severel papers. He also was named fire chief of the year in our county. I am so proud of all his hard work and how other younger fireman look up to him. Our girls know a lot about the fire dept. and can't wait until they are old enough to join daddy on the fire truck.

:wave2:

Im so glad its friday! I didnt even realize until i saw sandy's status on facebook!:lmao:

TXmom- welcome! Im currently a pre-vet wildlife student at UC Davis in california. My fiance is Marc and hes just started his career as a firefighter. Im so glad to have this board to come on share all of my good news about marc and find the support when i need it. These women have been here for me throughout this entire process. Marc was in his fire academy and then did a 6 month practicum, and is now a paid FF near our home town at an indian reservation. He was lucky enough and persevered enough to have his paid job within 1 week one finishing his internship.:banana: Unfortunately the distance means he commutes about 5 hours one way every couple of days. Hes also very young, were both 20 right now and unfortunately hes been getting gruff from some people. People from outside of the station and within are very impressed by him and his knowledge and confidence as he teaches classes, but as soon as they find out hes only 20 they ride him off and think very little of him.:sad2:

did your husband or you ever have to go through that?

Thanks for the welcome! Oh yes the age thing has been an issue especially when he is in charge of men a lot older than him. My husband though has grown up around our FD his dad is a founding member in 1971. And believe it or not his dad is still an active member and the Pres. of the FD. So being around for a long time does earn the respect of many even if he is young. I am not that active in the actual firefighting/first reponders anymore since the kiddos, but when I was younger being a woman and firefighter was sometimes hell. Some of the guys had a ego and did not think a woman should be doing "their" job, even if I had more training than them. Tell your dh to hang in there! He is earning the respect of others by showing his knowledge and dedication...it won't be long and age won't matter!

I have to work today, and I'm praying for some business!!!!!

TXMom - :welcome:
Thank for you sharing your background with us - your family sounds great!!! :goodvibesWe have 2 females on our FD, and the guys had a hard time with them in the beginning, but not anymore. I'm so glad about this, because I love these ladies - they are great, and a wonderful asset to our FD:) My DH is currently a lieutenant (sp?), EMT, Fire Inspector, and Training Officer, and he loves what he does!!!! I'm glad you joined us, and I hope you come visit us often!!!:goodvibes

CB - It's a shame when people judge others by their age. Tell Marc to hang in there, and it will get better someday soon. Hugs to him!!! :hug:

Well, I must go get ready for work
Have a great day today!!! :wave:

Hello everyone!

TXmom - Welcome!! My hubby is a career FF. He is a driver and the fireboat pilot. I am an RN. We have 3 kids. I hope you visit often!!

sam - It's tough starting out anywhere. I know they give the rookies here hell for awhile! Just tell Marc that one day soon he won't be the new guy anymore!

sandy - Synagis is the medication we give once a month from Oct. - April to help prevebt RSV in premature & compromised babies. We go to the house every month. We have about 600 synagis babies! Home phototherapy is the other service we provide.

This is a quick drive-by hello :car:
I need to go to work for awhile and get caught up.
With doing everything myself, I'm getting behind.
I haven't been super busy, it's just the people that's come in has brought in multiple things - which is great!!!
I don't plan on being at work all day, just for a little while.

It looks like today is going to be beautiful - I hope you all enjoy it!!!:goodvibes
:wave:

We had such a beautiful day yesterday :sunny:
Even though I was stuck inside, I still loved the nicer weather!!!

This morning I need to rush Sophie to the vet.
Kevin found a tick on her last week, and pulled it, but incorrectly (he didn't know) and I think part of it is still in there. Plus, I found another area that we think has burrowed ticks behind her ear. With her hair being long, it's very difficult to see these areas, and if I weren't literally looking for tick areas, I would have never found them. I'm stunned that she has these, because she's outside for such short periods of time (long enough to go potty) and goes no where that has a lot of brush. So, we'll see what the vet says.

Well, I gotta run and get ready to leave early today
Have a great day!!! :wave:

sandy - good luck with Sophie! I hope everything goes well at the vet!

sam- Hi!

Emily's Confirmation is tonight. We went out yesterday and got a sweater to go with her dress and now she is ready. I am going to get her out of school early today. We have to be at the church at 5, so we all need time to get ready.

See ya'll later!

This is my usual Tuesday morning quickie - I have my leads group this morning.

Update on Sophie....... :dog:
The vet said there was no evidence of ticks attached at this time. The sore under her ear was much larger than I realized, and the vet said that this could have been started by a tick, but he's not 100%. The wound is growing, which he wasn't happy to see, because it could be a bacteria infection, and not just an infection. He put her on an oral antibiotic, and a topical antibiotic. He said that if her sore isn't better in a week, that I need to bring her back, because there's something worse going on, that the antibiotic won't heal.

In case anyone care - I learned a little about ticks.
Ticks don't go all the way under the sick (we thought they did), only the head does. Females will balloon up with blood, which makes them very easy to see. The males can be as small as a pin head, and they don't balloon up. They just feed, and then detach themself (this is what the vet thinks could have happened to Sophie). When removing a tick, you should put mineral oil on it, with a QTip, and then carefully pull it off with tweasers. You must not break it, because all that disease will get all over your dog. You should also wear gloves, so you don't get disease on your hands.

Karen - Congratulations to Emily!!!!! I hope her Confirmation went great last night. I bet she is so glad to be finished with CCD:banana:

Now that I've sat around talking about Ticks, I need to get ready for my meeting.

Have a great day everyone!!! :wave:

Kevin made Monkeybread last night, for the first time, and I can't stop eating it. It is so yummy!!!:goodvibes It was especially good after he took it out of the oven, but I put some in the microwave this morning, and had it with my coffee - I've died and gone to heaven - so good!!!!!:goodvibes

Well, I must go get Steph some breakfast, and then I have to jump in the shower to get the hair dye out of my hair (I never enjoy hair dying day).

I hope you all have a good day today!!! :wave:

whats monkey bread? is it like banana nut bread?

I used to have a friends who didnt really cook much. But he used to make the best brownies and he put bananas in them. mmmm...so good

Tomorrow i have my mammalogy exam, and then i have all 3 midterms again next week!:scared1: They are only covering about 2 weeks worth of material, maybe 3. eek!

Monkeybread, in a nutshell, is Grands Biscuits cut in pieces and coat in cinnamon sugar - put in bunt pan. Then pour a mixture of melted butter and brown sugar over it - bake it. After done, take out of bunt pan, and pull apart and eat - so YUMMY!!!! If you like cinnamon rolls, than you would love this!!!!!:goodvibes (I just ate some more this morning :ssst: )

Sam - Good luck on all your exams!!!!:wizard:

Have a good day everyone!! :wave:

Hi all!

sandy - I love monkey bread!! It is very dangerous stuff! How is Sophie responding to her medicine?

sam - how was your exam? Sarah just finished finals. She will be home Saturday.

Emily's Confirmation was wonderful. She got compliments from lots of people (the Archbishop included) on her dress. He also complimented her on her choice of saint - Maximilian Koble. It was a great evening! She found out today that she was voted in for captain of the cheerleading squad. She has had a good week!

My kids last day of school is May 28. How about everyone else?

Hi,
I've been lurking for a while so I decided to say hi. My name is Jen and DH is a POC FF at our fire department. He's been on for 14 years and is the 4th generation in his family. Let's just say it's been a tradition that I'm so proud he continued. He's also a mechanic for his family's garage that's been around since 1906, so yet another tradition. I'm so proud to be a part of his family. We met in 1998 and got married in 2004 after I finished school. Now I'm a SAHM and expecting our 2nd child in about 5 weeks.

DH being a FF is especially fun now that we have a son who LOVES firetrucks. As soon as we pull up at the firehouse he yells trucks trucks dada dada! We have another on the way so we've been trying to schedule DH shifts around when we think this little guy is going to arrive. The awesome thing is that the hospital is right across the street from the firehouse, so if something does happen it won't take long to get there. :goodvibes I hope to chat with you all soon. It looks like a fun group.

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter