Calling all DLP experts...

I know nothing about DLP but thought I'd poke the ol' head in and take a sticky!:rotfl:

typical!

Hehehe,, no need to be an expert to comment here!

Congrats on booking :cool1: We were there mid Dec when we went for 8 nights. DS and I took the RER into Paris and back and didn't have a problem, didn't find anything wrong with it :confused3 It's not a nice clean train like the Eurostar or TGV, but it was just a normal suburban train, a little grotty and there are beggars, but they were not annoying or offensive like the gypsys that are around Paris. They just board the train, go along and place a card beside everyone (which we didn't touch, but I did lean and have a read). Then they walk back, pick the card up and jump off the train at the next stop (and I assume start the process again on the next train as it comes along :rotfl: ). But we found it easy to navigate around Paris, easy to get into Paris and back again. I can't see that you'll have any problems :thumbsup2

It really was FREEZING when we went, like absolutely FREEZING! I don't remember ever feeling as cold. We went to Zermatt from there and it was -15 and it didn't feel as cold as DLP, LOL. We actually took the train in to the big shopping centre just a stop or two (on the RER) from Disneyland to the sports store to buy balaclavas :rotfl2: as at night we were just so bitterly cold and it was sleeting and it hurt your face. But it was still amazing, wonderful, magical and just beautiful at Christmas time. There are Christmas markets between DTD and DLH which are cute and very christmasy (if that's a word). You will love it!

Thanks aussietravellers!

With regards to the RER, do you think it'll be manageable with 3 kids and suitcases coming in from Paris into Disneyland in the morning? I know Queenie did it, but she was travelling with another adult.

Hehehe,, no need to be an expert to comment here!

Thanks aussietravellers!

With regards to the RER, do you think it'll be manageable with 3 kids and suitcases coming in from Paris into Disneyland in the morning? I know Queenie did it, but she was travelling with another adult.

Our journey's were without luggage. I know I was worried about it on the departing journey as we had to get back to Paris, early in the morning, for an 8.30am train from Paris to Switzerland. I was worried being on my own, just with DS who was 8 then, with our two suitcases, two wheel along carry on's plus handbags, navigating that on our own, we had to change trains in Paris to get to the train station. So we just took a car with a driver to the station, and I was happy that we did. I ummed and ahhed after taking the train to Paris for the day, seeing how easy it was, but was just too worried about changing trains and platforms with all of the luggage. So ended up with the car. From memory the private car was about 90 Euro.

I know that not all stations have a lift, so if you were going to take it from Paris, then make sure that the station that you will leave from has a lift, to get the luggage down to the platform (they do have one at DLP end). If it's a straight, non changing journey then it will be ok as you could just jump on with the kids and sit them whilst your DH throws the luggage on (not such a rush at the other end as it's the end of the link :thumbsup2 ). But with pickpocketing, I would have someone (probably your DH) stand with the luggage the whole trip if you can't get a seat with the luggage.

the only thing re paris train between the airport and the city is its SLOW....we took so long getting from the airport, standing up..it was horrible & by the time we got into Paris we were over it...just as well we were upgraded to premium economy on our flight in from tokyo.....cant imagine doing it after 10+ hours in economy:thumbsup2

:confused3 I'm pretty sure I was with DBF...not an adult :rolleyes1

I wouldn't advise travelling on the train with kids and luggage but it is doable as described.
If you are going Airport-DLP then the no brainer choice is the bus. It's just like any coach where you chuck any bags in the bottom of the bus (strollers etc ) and then can take carry ons onto the bus.

I haven't re read my TR but we were on the train (from DLP to the station near the hotel we were staying) with one large suitcase, one wheelie carry on, one roller duffle bag (with a broken handle :headache: ) and assorted shoulder bags. Not fun. And no...there aren't always lifts.

My large suitcase was a spinner which did make it easier. But even between us we were constantly stopping to rearrange.
Once you are on the train I'm sure you'd be ok as long as you settle together. But it is from wherever you are to the station.

Congrats on the booking though :wizard:

Ever so slightly jealous of staying at the Disneyland Hotel :flower3:

ETA: I did happily travel to Paris from DLP on a day trip no worries and plan to again. I have no problem with the train. Just not with luggage going from hotel to hotel.
It was hard enough with DBF...can't imagine with 3 kids

:confused3 I'm pretty sure I was with DBF...not an adult :rolleyes1

I wouldn't advise travelling on the train with kids and luggage but it is doable as described.
If you are going Airport-DLP then the no brainer choice is the bus. It's just like any coach where you chuck any bags in the bottom of the bus (strollers etc ) and then can take carry ons onto the bus.

I haven't re read my TR but we were on the train (from DLP to the station near the hotel we were staying) with one large suitcase, one wheelie carry on, one roller duffle bag (with a broken handle :headache: ) and assorted shoulder bags. Not fun. And no...there aren't always lifts.

My large suitcase was a spinner which did make it easier. But even between us we were constantly stopping to rearrange.
Once you are on the train I'm sure you'd be ok as long as you settle together. But it is from wherever you are to the station.

Congrats on the booking though :wizard:

Ever so slightly jealous of staying at the Disneyland Hotel :flower3:

thats right..i forgot THERE ARE NO LIFTS/ escalators IN PARIS TRAIN STATIONS!!!!!!

omg ..... try lugging bags up and down, up and down...i forgot all about that:rotfl:

thats right..i forgot THERE ARE NO LIFTS/ escalators IN PARIS TRAIN STATIONS!!!!!!

omg ..... try lugging bags up and down, up and down...i forgot all about that:rotfl:

Some do.... the major ones.... but not many! NIGHTMARE for travel with luggage are those liftless stations isn't it! That's another reason also why we took a car in the end, DLP had the lift. The station that we were going to (to catch the TGV) had one, but the station we had to change at along the way, didn't :eek:

So shushh it may be easier to take a private car, but if you decide on the train, just check that your departing station has a lift :thumbsup2

Shushh + 3 little shushh's and a papa shushh + luggage and no lift will not make for happy Shushh's :thumbsup2

Some do.... the major ones.... but not many! NIGHTMARE for travel with luggage are those liftless stations isn't it! That's another reason also why we took a car in the end, DLP had the lift. The station that we were going to (to catch the TGV) had one, but the station we had to change at along the way, didn't :eek:

So shushh it may be easier to take a private car, but if you decide on the train, just check that your departing station has a lift :thumbsup2

Shushh + 3 little shushh's and a papa shushh + luggage and no lift will not make for happy Shushh's :thumbsup2

and if i remember correctly, the stairs are old, narrow, step and never ending....my poor bag was bumped down so many staircases....and try not to travel during peak times..people will just push you outa the way:eek:I'm sure they do hate us over there:confused3

eeek! I've got 3 people telling me its a bad idea but what do I do?!? Check the accessibility of the station that the apartment I plan to rent is close to. Call me a sucker for punishment but it seems like we are in luck! Metro line 14 is the only completely accessible metro line and guess which line Pyramides is part of. Line 14...We have to change at Chatelet Les Halles, but I'm sure that's the massive one. It should have lifts right...lol

Will talk to hubby about forking out more cash tonight!

eeek! I've got 3 people telling me its a bad idea but what do I do?!? Check the accessibility of the station that the apartment I plan to rent is close to. Call me a sucker for punishment but it seems like we are in luck! Metro line 14 is the only completely accessible metro line and guess which line Pyramides is part of. Line 14...We have to change at Chatelet Les Halles, but I'm sure that's the massive one. It should have lifts right...lol

if you have lifts your laughing....just expect to have to push onto the trains if you travel during peak..apart from that..save your $$$ for more important things...I just wish we had known about the lift situation before we got there, you just assume all stations would be modernised :confused3

to be forewarned is forearmed :teacher:

:lmao::lmao: Wishing you God's graces...

If it has lifts it is more doable...but also find out how far it is between each platform. The one you're getting off at then getting on.
There could be some distance in tunnels. All worth investigating.

If it don't have lifts...not only does it mean stairs. It's might mean up and down and up and down and up again before you're actually leaving... :rotfl2:

I don't know what the best method for getting from Paris city to DLP is. Without luggage it IS the train. And with DLP being your destination rather than Paris that is 'better'. But I'm not liking the idea of a change :rolleyes:

yep...those tunnels are a killer...just when you think they have ended, they split into 2 and your off again:rotfl2:

I cant tell you how many times my travelling companion used the nasty word...and hes fairly easy going....it was the song that never ends..and it went on and on my friend:rotfl:

but we did lose weight, worked on our biceps, welcomed the sight of the word Sortie and learnt how to swear in French, so really not a total loss...:rolleyes1

I'd book a private car if you are not going to take the train. The one we had was one of those Mercedes Vito style, the mini van but still a car style. If you had one of those then you would have enough room for 5 and luggage... and you can pre book :thumbsup2

Not sure on taxis. Every time I've been to Paris we have used the metro as our main transportation method. The only time I have used a taxi, they were just standard little sedans which would not fit 5, but there may be some out there :confused3

I wonder if there may be a bus too that can take you there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter