Calling all dcl vets...

jennylyn_b

Disney Fan for Life :)
Hi everyone! We just booked our first dcl cruise for Oct 2014!!!!
I'm reading a ton of stuff and had this question for all those that have been multiple times on dcl. Some ppl say the food is average at best, others say the shows aren't worth seeing more than once. That's fine as everyone is entitled to their own preferences. Here's the question : if you aren't going for the food or shows or parties on deck cuz they are too crowded then what brings you back to dcl time and time again?
Thanks everyone!

Here's the question : if you aren't going for the food or shows or parties on deck cuz they are too crowded then what brings you back to dcl time and time again?
Thanks everyone!

Great question. I don't go for the food, I have never been to a deck party and once was enough for me for the live shows.

I've only been on DCL. I look at other cruise lines and when I compare, the rooms are larger on DCL, there are more activities for all ages all day and into the night on DCL and the service is excellent. We have some food intolerance members of our party and I know when I book with DCL that they will always have something to eat and our servers will help them choose, etc. Overall, it's a very easy and stress free environment.

I was just looking at Princess, Royal, Celebrity and Regent yesterday. When I really dig in and look at room size, the split bathroom (only offered on DCL), included activities/entertainment, I just don't see us going with another line until we are too old to want to keep busy all day.

We have been once;
We loved the food:thumbsup2,
We loved the shows:thumbsup2 and
We loved the deck parties:thumbsup2

Loved it so much that we booked a return cruise while onboard. You will love it.:goodvibes

We are also sailing in October 2014. Which ship will you be on? We are doing the October 11th sailing out of San Juan on the Magic.

Food is very subjective. You will NOT go hungry by any means. I am confident you will have a blast and will be returning in the future.

I hadnt read any posts before my DC. You shouldn't let anything bias your personal thoughts because EVERYTHING is subjective.

For instance, I LOVE dressing in a pirate corset and singing karaoke! But others may be like "no thanks".

We thought one show was superb, one was funny (past the first 15 min anyway) and thought the last one just okay (but it had pocahontas!) We would never skip a new show if we get to see one and Golden Mickeys I would watch again.

The food was good for me, so-so for my honey but we didn't order the same things (and because I live on brocc and kale at home, so yeah, that food was AMAZING!)

I loved the magical family feel everywhere and the really fun CMs. They got everyone dancing for the Fiesta Party and were seriously the life of the party. Not cheesy.

And Castaway. Hello!

I was talking to my honey asking him about one of those giant RCI ships with rock walls etc and if he was interested in that. They have actually city blocks like full malls in them. We decided we like the idea of knowing that we are ON a SHIP. He said "I would be open to RCI if the price was right. I definitely don't think I'm interested in any more Carnivals. But I'd probably rather go on Disney really."

Woohoo! I love that man... :flower3:

My son loves DCL. I do it for him. The quality, availability (open all day 8am to very late st night) and cost (included) of the kids clubs is a factor also. As are all of the activities available constantly for the two of us to do around the ship. I'm a solo parent and family never travels with us. Love the pool side movies and the movie theater.

Getting a couple hours of me time day is priceless because I don't get that at home. Having the clubs open whenever is a huge help. Other lines have only certain hours that they are open.

I agree that the food is just okay, however, it is 100% better than me cooking every day so I'm perfectly happy with okay.

We love the shows and have seen some of them 3 times - we just love show time, it's part of what we do when we cruise!

The Pirate party is a take it or leave it activity for us - we usually go for at least part of it.

There's so much more than just those 3 components that make a DCL cruise so special.

Quote:
I'm reading a ton of stuff and had this question for all those that have been multiple times on dcl. Some ppl say the food is average at best, others say the shows aren't worth seeing more than once. That's fine as everyone is entitled to their own preferences. Here's the question : if you aren't going for the food or shows or parties on deck cuz they are too crowded then what brings you back to dcl time and time again?
Thanks everyone!

We've only been on the classic ships, thus far. We've done 3 cruise each on the Magic & Wonder. The only show we will not be seeing again will be Toy Story. The only reason we saw it 3 times was the first two times there were technical difficulties causing the show to be stopped and restarted. We decided to keep seeing it again until they got it right. Finally that happened on our 3d Wonder cruise. It's really not my favorite show. And now we don't have to see it again. Some of the individual entertainers I've not enjoyed, and probably wouldn't see them again. All the other shows we will continue to see. Live theatre isn't exactly the same every time.

As to the food, yes, it's not what you would find in a 5 star restaurant, but I've only had 2 things that I really didn't like in all our cruises. I think the food (for basically mass-produced banquet-type food) is very good to OK, more on the good to very good side. Now, Palo brunch, I would do every cruise (a couple of times, if I could).

And the Pirate party, we generally show up in time for the fireworks, occasionally taking in the buffet afterward (tacos aren't really my favorite food).

We keep returning to DCL because we like the attention to detail that Disney provides. The service (at least all we've had) has been exceptional, and we don't really go in for gambling, or Vegas styled (including the language) shows.

You need to take everything you read with a grain of salt. The people on the boards run every Socioeconomic scale. With everything in life your perceptions is based on your expectations. On a cruise ship if you expect a 5 star restraint food in the main dining room you will be disappointed. If you expect McDonalds you will be delighted. If you expect a top quality Broadway show you will be disappointed with the cruise shows. If you expect a High School show you will be delighted.

My opinions after 9 cruises with 4 on Disney:
1. The food is good and is better than I get at TGIF Fridays or Applebee’s. Disney has Remy and Palo if you want 4 and 5 star food.
2. The stage shows are what I expect from Disney. They are better than what I get on other cruise lines. The performers they bring in are OK and not as good as they have on other cruise lines.
3. The deck shows are crowded and fun. Disney is more fun than other cruise lines because they seem to be more interactive. If you do not like the crowd then show up early and grab a spot on the deck above the deck show. If you are not sure go right in the middle of the crowd and give it a try. How good would the deck show be if there was not very many people?

I hadnt read any posts before my DC. You shouldn't let anything bias your personal thoughts because EVERYTHING is subjective.

For instance, I LOVE dressing in a pirate corset and singing karaoke! But others may be like "no thanks".

We thought one show was superb, one was funny (past the first 15 min anyway) and thought the last one just okay (but it had pocahontas!) We would never skip a new show if we get to see one and Golden Mickeys I would watch again.

The food was good for me, so-so for my honey but we didn't order the same things (and because I live on brocc and kale at home, so yeah, that food was AMAZING!)

I loved the magical family feel everywhere and the really fun CMs. They got everyone dancing for the Fiesta Party and were seriously the life of the party. Not cheesy.

And Castaway. Hello!

I was talking to my honey asking him about one of those giant RCI ships with rock walls etc and if he was interested in that. They have actually city blocks like full malls in them. We decided we like the idea of knowing that we are ON a SHIP. He said "I would be open to RCI if the price was right. I definitely don't think I'm interested in any more Carnivals. But I'd probably rather go on Disney really."

Woohoo! I love that man... :flower3:

That's what I thought when I was reading about RC's ships. Why go on a cruise to feel like you're on land?? I can go to the mall any day. :)

OP, I've read complaints like that too but never all from one person. Some people may go for the food but skip the shows, others may only find the food so-so but like the other experiences. I just assume if someone doesn't like ANY of these things they probably wouldn't come back. Not everyone has the same idea of what they want vacation to be like. :goodvibes

Thanks everyone! Don't worry I'm a wdw vet and understand that personal preferences vary greatly. I am too excited to let anything damper or negatively impact our cruise.
We are on the Wonder Oct 1st double dip 2014. Dh and I did a RCCL western Caribbean cruise in 2004. We had fun but we are Disney people and it was a no brainer for us which line to book.
I just like to hear from those that know what you like or don't about dcl.

You need to take everything you read with a grain of salt. The people on the boards run every Socioeconomic scale. With everything in life your perceptions is based on your expectations. On a cruise ship if you expect a 5 star restraint food in the main dining room you will be disappointed. If you expect McDonalds you will be delighted. If you expect a top quality Broadway show you will be disappointed with the cruise shows. If you expect a High School show you will be delighted.

My opinions after 9 cruises with 4 on Disney:
1. The food is good and is better than I get at TGIF Fridays or Applebees. Disney has Remy and Palo if you want 4 and 5 star food.
2. The stage shows are what I expect from Disney. They are better than what I get on other cruise lines. The performers they bring in are OK and not as good as they have on other cruise lines.
3. The deck shows are crowded and fun. Disney is more fun than other cruise lines because they seem to be more interactive. If you do not like the crowd then show up early and grab a spot on the deck above the deck show. If you are not sure go right in the middle of the crowd and give it a try. How good would the deck show be if there was not very many people?

Thanks.
Lets see I won't have to prep, cook, serve or clean up meals??? Then as long as its edible I'm happy lol well actually I hope for a bit better than just edible lol
As far as the shows go, if dd is up and we can actually see them at least one woohoo! I've seen many Broadway shows and community theater shows so I'm not picky. Free entertainment is fun even if its not the greatest.

Thanks everyone! Don't worry I'm a wdw vet and understand that personal preferences vary greatly. I am too excited to let anything damper or negatively impact our cruise.
We are on the Wonder Oct 1st double dip 2014. Dh and I did a RCCL western Caribbean cruise in 2004. We had fun but we are Disney people and it was a no brainer for us which line to book.
I just like to hear from those that know what you like or don't about dcl.

Our entertainment staff was better than the one pre-recorded and playing in the rooms. For us, it WAS definitely broadway caliber. (Grew up on Phantom & Les Mis and Joseph and more in the theater.) My husband even said that the shows were a $50 pp value. (He is not easily impressed at the theater but he was QUITE beyond pleased for our shows.)

jennylyn_b said:
Thanks everyone!

Service!
Well-being and enjoyment of my children!
Service!
The cost (basic things on DCL cost extra on others)
Did I mention SERVICE!

opinions are just simply opinions. I know people who think Porky's is the funniest movie they have ever seen.....

however, to answer what keeps 'em coming back: some people just like to b*tch and/or see their name on a post....others just want to stir the pot. Ignore them and use your own filters....

btw, I know a guy who brings a book to read in WDW so he won't be bored while his family is having fun!:confused3

Why I chose DCL:

First DCL: Went because of an ABD add-on I wanted to do (Med cruise in 2010).

2nd DCL: Cruising with DIS friends.

Food is only OK (on the Med it was yuck). Exception to that is Remy, especially for brunch. O.M.G. But, as CT Mom of 3 said, it's better than me cooking for myself!

Shows are great, but I'm not sure how many times I could watch them.

Pirate night was fun for about 10 minutes, then I left.

Sayhello

I've only cruised once on Carnival and 4 times on DCL. We did a short Carnival cruise just to get away and because it was so cheap. While on board - there were just so many parts of the ship that were worn out and run down. The entertainment was awful compared to Disney.

We keep going back to DCL because of the service and friendliness of the staff. Not one time did we encounter a CM - whether he/she was maintenance all the way up to crew - that they did not say hello and smile at us.

And the immaculate condition of the ships is just incredible.

On the Carnival ship - we kept having to say - well that's ok - this cruise was CHEAP! That's how we kept justifying subpar service or any facilities that didn't work or were run down.

So this is just MHO!

If you love the service at the parks and resorts, you will LOVE it on DCL!!!

I almost posted something about the CMs and how welcome they make you feel. The CCL crew members make you feel like they are supposed to be invisible from your trip and it just makes me feel awkward. Our DCLs were just super nice people, we were up til 1:30 talking to a sweet CM who was vacuuming. :flower3:

We've cruised twice, and we loved the food! I have to admit, we have never seen any of the shows, but we plan to on our next trip. I think it just wasn't a priority, and there were so many other things we wanted to do. We also love the deck parties. They are a little crowded for my personal comfort, but I can tolerate it for a little while to watch my childrens eyes light up, watching the characters, the pirates, and the fireworks. We were hooked on DCL after our first cruise because we truely had the time of our lives. We LOVE Castaway Cay, we love running into characters around the ship, our kids love the kids club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter