Calling all AP holders...

dianna112198

<font color=green>When this Welcomed Guest posts m
...I have a dilemma and I need your help! Let's say I'm going to Disney World for 14 days ( :banana: ). If I were to book a package through Disney's website, I'm assuming that the tickets would be pretty darn expensive. So, a thought passed through my mind :rolleyes: What if I bought an anuual pass and booked the rooms and airfare seperately? Would it be cheaper? Would I get better rates on rooms? Would I be forced to take a few extra trips just to make sure I am getting the most out of my money?? (hmmmmm, I think I'll be broke after 2 weeks in Disney. But it was wishful thinking :rotfl2: ). Now I would usually research this stuff on my own (sometimes I feel like I was a travel agent in a past life), and I am usually able to find out what I want. But I can't :confused3 ...so I call on you :wave2: . PPLLLEEAAASSSEE HELP ME!!
Maybe if you could just give me your advice, or maybe list some good deals that you have gotten in the past, or maybe you can just tell me where I can look to get more info on this stuff. Anything....ANYTHING will help. Thanks in advance!!

I have been to Disney World many times and I have never booked a pkg. I always book my airtfare, rental car and hotel myself. Even before I became an AP holder.

Hypothetically speaking.... If you were to take a 14 day trip to the Happiest Place on Earth I would suggest an AP. Comparing the 10 day (14 day not an option on the web. Weird huh?) MYW park hopper to the Theme Park AP is a difference of $163. The AP being more expensive of course. But the more expensive AP will yield a much lower room rate (anywhere from 20%-60% less in my usage). The bonus is, if you are traveling with people only one person needs an AP to reserve a room at an AP rate the rest of your party can have the MYW and you can all still enjoy the AP "perks". Also depending on where you live in PA, if you can make it to an airport that Southwest serves you could possibly get $49 one way airfair.

Yes it may be a little more taxing to do everything yourself but you can probably save enough so the difference in the AP will be more than made up for. If you have questions PM me.

AP rates are changing, they will now be the lowest offered to the general public. If you want to book early using an AP, you have to have it in hand, and book at keast 120 days out and pay the first night non refundable.

APs are meant for getting you into the parks more often and somewhat less expensively than at the gate. There are several travel agencies that you can book with who will search for any and all discounts available to you as an AP holder, Dream being one.

It can be a lot less expensive to book the resort seperate from the air, etc. What you need to do is look at the package versus booking everything seperately.

You can price it out and see if it's cheaper to do it all yourself. check airline websites for the flight you want. check disney's site to see what the room would cost, and check out what the pass will cost you. I always find it cheaper to do this.

Our family of 4 has been going for many years and NEVER used a package. Here's what we do for one 10-11 day stay with AP: 1. book a room at the values resort for length of stay. then peruse the boards for additional discounts throughout the year, you can always revise your rate. summer of 2004 I actually paid about $50 a day once all my discounts were applied. 2. search for airfare that coincides with my resort dates. (if necessary, I can always adjust the resort dates). the smaller regional carriers have been a godsend for us. We fly out of Rockford Illinois instead of Ohare on TMA for $79 pp each way! 3. purchase dining ressies when they become available--usually 90 days out. I've been hearing such good things about the DDE dining plan for $50 (20% off sit down meals) that I am buying that as well next trip. The AP really saves you money on everything I've mentioned except airfare. and as you make purchases at WDW, you get % off of those as well at DTD and other places fully listed on the pass information. WDW is not for the true bargain seeker IMO, but you could also look for Birnbaum guides. They have one on everything and may have one on touring very cheaply while at the world. You can look online or shop any major bookstore. Realize that you will learn more and more with each trip. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

This definitely sounds like the way to go. Now, I'm not going down until May 2006. Do you think it is too early to buy the pass now and start looking for codes (I'm not sure when the AP codes for then usually come out). Will I even be able to search for codes rights away or how does that work? I know you need a special ID number. I would assume that you get that before you actually activate your pass (??). Thanks for all your help!

You can buy you AP at any time beforehand. They will send you a voucher, but it won't be activated till your first visit (beginning it's one year use). Usually prices go up at the end of the calendar year, so I would buy before then. You probably won't see the discounts until early 06. Also, look into buying a Disney Dining Experience card (DDE). It is $50 and only for AP holders. It will give you a 20% discount at almost all sit down meals. For our family of 5, it paid for itself in just a couple of meals.

My trips on cash have been:
AP rates (this last time on a PIN)
Southwest/Song ($79 or $49)
National Car
On this past trip we bought the DDE card and saved 20% on our meals. The card paid for itself on our June trip and will be used again in August, October, and December (October and December are on DVC).

I never book a package and make best efforts to get the best rate.

Note - I am not sure if you can book the AP rates at least 120 days out on a voucher. I think you have to have an activated pass (?). So for the first time you may need to wait for AP rates the old fashioned way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter