Calling All 8/19/06 Special Western Cruisers! AKA "The Cruisin' Castaways" Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at work at 6 am this morning I heard the news about the flights. I spent alot of today watching and listening to comments, tv etc etc. I also called DCL and SW. My first instinct was to cancel our airline tickets and drive to Orlando because I'm nuts. It seemed easier in the long run but then thinking about it, the planes are probably safer now than ever. I called SW around noon and again an hour ago and was told different info. So, like everything else, at first I panic. We have one week before our cruise and who knows what changes might be made between now and then. My suggestion is for everyone, just check with the airlines a day prior to leaving to find out the latest info regarding your flights. There's a Wal-mart and Walgreens etc etc in Cocoa Beach, so whatever I forget to take or decide not to take, I can buy there instead of going through any hassles here.

I hope everyone flying has a very safe flight and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on DCL on the 19th.

Stay safe,

Bev

Ski-and-Sea said:
I used to carry my camera and camcorder in my carry on bag but now I'll pack it in my luggage. I will just wrap clothes around them as insulation and put them in the corners so that the x-ray beam won't harm the film.

It sounds like the recommendation is to pack all the electronic equipment.

How are memory cards in digital cameras affected by this x-ray beam? Can you explain this x-ray to me? I have no idea how they screen luggage after I check it. Are laptops safe (aside from being tossed about)? I need my laptop to transfer pictures from my digital camera since I plan on taking about 5,000 pictures on this cruise LOL. I would be concerned about putting my camera in the corner of my suitcase - it seems like it would be more protected in the middle wouldn't it?

OK I'm freaking out just a little! :scared1: Anyone have an extra Valium?

NOT AT ALL meant to minimalize the seriousness of the current security implementations...

with that in mind, and since folks are trying to help minimize their carryons, here's a tip from my mom: no matter where you are travelling, keep a swimsuit in your carryon! You never know when your luggage will turn up, but at least you can use the pool in the meantime! :sunny:

jweiss said:
Jeff....did you ever hear from concierge??? I am so excited about you revealing your "surprise".....I really want it all to go perfectly for you guys....

No, I am kind of surprised after sending an email and leaving a voicemail. Missy for the first time today asked about the luggage tags. I told her I did the online check-in and didn't know what to expect (playing very dumb) but we didn't get any documents or luggage tags (OK - shoot me for telling a big fib). :lmao:

I wish you best with your flight from SF.

Jeff

zukeeper said:
It sounds like the recommendation is to pack all the electronic equipment.How are memory cards in digital cameras affected by this x-ray beam?

anything I've read on the subject says memory cards, etc, are not affected.

I've read DCL is following Airport guidelines. Are air travellers being told to pack all electronics in their checked luggage???? If so, is DCL saying this too???

A poster on another thread very astutely pointed out that DCL having the same restrictions as air travellers is not the most sensical, as the point w/ air travellers is they can't get to their luggage in the air. Ship travellers obviously can access their packed belongings on the ship.

jweiss said:
Is ANYONE else doing the dolphin experience (DCL) or dolphin swim (on your own) in Cozumel??? Chelsea is signed up for the "experience" (which she and I did a few years ago, and I will "watch" with the babies. BUT, I really want to sign her up for the swim...am concerned about transportation to the resort on our own though.... Any suggestiongs????

We haven't signed up for any excursions for CM or Coz although the Dolphin Discovery on Coz on our own was something I was thinking about. Maybe we could all go together. We could help you out with the little ones and perhaps Catherine could squeeze in on that Dolphin Discovery too.

First of all may I say a big THANK YOU for all of your kind words and wishes.. it was a sad but a beautiful tribute to a lovely man... enough said...

Turned on the news this morning and thought "Why now?" but it looks like it has been averted. Andrew, even though I don't know you personally, my first thoughts were with you. We rang today and were told that we could only bring the items you have mentioned in your post above, I will miss the books and magazines! Basically zero carryons from Ireland to the US..The Shannon authorities are saying that it is likely to continue until next week, to ensure all are caught but thank God it looks like it was caught in time! You know, when I see the quality of people that are here on these boards and the lovely things that are said, I know there is much much more good than bad. Safe travelling everyone!

On to brighter things! :sunny: Tomorrow is my last day at work! :badpc: I was meant to hand over my work to my colleague over the past couple of days but because I was not there, tomorrow will be fun! Absolute bedlam! :rotfl2:

Mel, get better real soon, I want to meet my Walsh cousins next Monday night!

Ed, if my timing is right, you should be finished and on your way home! Best wishes for the start of your holiday! LUCKY THING!

Karen, your Baileys may be in trouble! But if it is then I promise to get a bottle sent over to you when we are next sending Murphy's items to the US! Promise! However, if security measures lift here, I will be bringing that bottle your way!

Andy, THANK YOU FOR THE POSTCARD! Our extractor fan is now decorated with a string of postcards.. I will not repeat how great you are.. people will begin to talk! Suffice to say that I have your shamrock seeds packed, for you to plant in the garden after our cruise! :thumbsup2

Bev--since we are flying in Thursday I was thinking we might just run to the CVS near my mom's place and pick up the items we need there, and what is left over (if any) we would leave with my mom, at least we do have that option on our side. It's also less stuff we would have to worry about packing, and less worry about anything leaking all over our clothes.

Personally, if I can't carry my laptop or digital camera with me on the plane, they will be left behind at home. I would never pack anything of great value into checked luggage.

PoohJen said:
I've read DCL is following Airport guidelines. Are air travellers being told to pack all electronics in their checked luggage???? If so, is DCL saying this too???

A poster on another thread very astutely pointed out that DCL having the same restrictions as air travellers is not the most sensical, as the point w/ air travellers is they can't get to their luggage in the air. Ship travellers obviously can access their packed belongings on the ship.

I was discussing this with my wife as well. It makes no sense for a cruise ship to follow the same procedures as an airline. Getting on a cruise ship is more akin to checking into a hotel. Is the local Hampton Inn not allowing liquids? :confused3

Hopefully some one in charge will realize this before next Saturday! We have several bottles of wone we were bringing aboard!!!!

5by5

zukeeper said:
It sounds like the recommendation is to pack all the electronic equipment.

How are memory cards in digital cameras affected by this x-ray beam? Can you explain this x-ray to me? I have no idea how they screen luggage after I check it. Are laptops safe (aside from being tossed about)? I need my laptop to transfer pictures from my digital camera since I plan on taking about 5,000 pictures on this cruise LOL. I would be concerned about putting my camera in the corner of my suitcase - it seems like it would be more protected in the middle wouldn't it?

OK I'm freaking out just a little! :scared1: Anyone have an extra Valium?

Becky

No Valium necessary.....I believe the recommendation is just that. I WILL be carrying on my camera, etc. unless I read that I absolutely can't. The travellers from the UK cannot bring theirs.

Just do the "liquids" and don't worry, be happy...you're about to go cruisin!!! :Pinkbounc

Walsh clan said:
First of all may I say a big THANK YOU for all of your kind words and wishes.. it was a sad but a beautiful tribute to a lovely man... enough said...

Turned on the news this morning and thought "Why now?" but it looks like it has been averted. Andrew, even though I don't know you personally, my first thoughts were with you. We rang today and were told that we could only bring the items you have mentioned in your post above, I will miss the books and magazines! Basically zero carryons from Ireland to the US..The Shannon authorities are saying that it is likely to continue until next week, to ensure all are caught but thank God it looks like it was caught in time! You know, when I see the quality of people that are here on these boards and the lovely things that are said, I know there is much much more good than bad. Safe travelling everyone!

On to brighter things! :sunny: Tomorrow is my last day at work! :badpc: I was meant to hand over my work to my colleague over the past couple of days but because I was not there, tomorrow will be fun! Absolute bedlam! :rotfl2:

Mel, get better real soon, I want to meet my Walsh cousins next Monday night!

Ed, if my timing is right, you should be finished and on your way home! Best wishes for the start of your holiday! LUCKY THING!

Karen, your Baileys may be in trouble! But if it is then I promise to get a bottle sent over to you when we are next sending Murphy's items to the US! Promise! However, if security measures lift here, I will be bringing that bottle your way!

Andy, THANK YOU FOR THE POSTCARD! Our extractor fan is now decorated with a string of postcards.. I will not repeat how great you are.. people will begin to talk! Suffice to say that I have your shamrock seeds packed, for you to plant in the garden after our cruise! :thumbsup2

Moira it's good to see you back. We missed your sunny disposition!! :sunny:

I'm glad to hear that the service was a fitting tribute and again I'm sorry for your loss.

Please have a safe trip over! We will talk to you early in the week.

5by5

Andrew and Moira and any other of our out of country guests (or out of town for that matter) that no longer want to bring their camcorders I would be more than happy to video you or your kids or lend you my camera and let you video. I'm bringing about 12 hours worth of blank tape but you may want to bring a few blank cassettes in case I go hog wild at WDW the week before the cruise. :banana:

The only problem may be that my camcorder will record in NTSC and you likely have PAL equipment back home. A technological solution will be needed. Still, I'd rather you have some video and have to find a way to view it than have no video at all! :guilty:

5by5

Just wanted to say have a safe trip to Moira and Andrew and anyone else who flying from out of country.Hope it will be a smooth process!! :goodvibes

5by5 said:
Andrew and Moira and any other of our out of country guests (or out of town for that matter) that no longer want to bring their camcorders I would be more than happy to video you or your kids or lend you my camera and let you video.

Ditto that for me. Please feel free to ask me if you need anything recorded or pictures taken! My video camera is just ok, but does great outdoors. I just got a new digital camera in the mail today. :yay: Very excited to start playing with it - it's supposed to have a special setting for fireworks. Anyway, I'll have two quality digitals and one so so I was going to let the kids take around. It's fine for viewing pics on a slideshow, not so good for developing, so I don't care too much about it. On that subject, does anyone know about rules for kids taking cameras into the kids club?

I plan on bringing a capture device so I can load my pictures and video on my laptop. Any files can be emailed so no worries about format (I think). You just need some simple software to burn the video file to VCD or DVD.

With all this worrying about the plane, I forgot that

WE ARE IN THE SINGLE DIGIT DAYS!
WAHOO!!!:cool1: :goodvibes :banana:
boldpurple.gif
:cheer2:

Now i have to stop worrying about the plane and start worrying about what to pack!!!!

Paula

Walsh clan said:
Ed, if my timing is right, you should bie finished and on your way home! Best wishes for the start of your holiday! LUCKY THING!:thumbsup2

Moria, Thank you.

Yes, I am now Offically on Vacation :cool1: :thumbsup2 :goodvibes :teeth: :banana: :Pinkbounc

Tomorrow is packing day, and Saturday we start our Drive to the autotrain.

Ct_TiggerFan said:
Moria, Thank you.

Yes, I am now Offically on Vacation :cool1: :thumbsup2 :goodvibes :teeth: :banana: :Pinkbounc

Tomorrow is packing day, and Saturday we start our Drive to the autotrain.

Congrats Ed and happy packing!!!:thumbsup2

Make sure to stop by and give us an "adios" before you leave!!!

I still have 4 more work days to put in :rolleyes: before my vacation starts!!! We'll probably be packing next Wednesday night, I just ordered some TSA approved locks for our luggage, they are due to arrive on Wednesday, talk about cutting it close, LOL!!! :rotfl:

Is ANYONE else doing the dolphin experience (DCL) or dolphin swim (on your own) in Cozumel??? Chelsea is signed up for the "experience" (which she and I did a few years ago, and I will "watch" with the babies. BUT, I really want to sign her up for the swim...am concerned about transportation to the resort on our own though.... Any suggestiongs????[/QUOTE]

JWiess

I am so new at this cruise stuff that I didn't know that you could book your own dolphnin swim. Could you please tell me more about it or send me the site so that I could find out on my own. My DD 16 would love to swim with the dolphins.

Thanks Paula:cool1:

Hello Moira...I am so glad you are back.. how are you doing?? :shamrock:

ANDREW derek.. I too thought of you the first thing this AM.... now let me get this straight.. you guys can still bring your CAMERAS.. but not as carry ons?? so why not check them in???

you have insurance for them, right?? This is cutting it close now..
but you could send it to ANDYS mom..( like how I volunterered your mom ANDY),,lol

As far as the insulin... how is it not PRESCRIBED?? how do you get it with out a prescription??
you have to have the ticketed persons name on the medicine in order to take it on the plan.

CONGRATS on your last day of WORK!!!!! :banana:

DOREEN

ANDY,, I am seriously thinking of sending the BUBBLES to your moms address to make more room in the luggage now.. I had to rearrange everyones suitcases today.. We will still manage to consoildate but....

DARLENE>. I think some of the DCL cast members are very overwhelemd.. how can this be a totally non liquid cruise.. besides deodorant, suntain lotion, contact solution.. now can you use the same shampoo and moose that I use and be happy.. And we all know they have no supply for 1200 guest for all these items... :rotfl2: :lmao: i really hope that after a week ,, things will calm down a bit and we will have an easier time at what we can and cannot bring on board..

now can I ask a special favor. please keep JACLYN in special thought today.. hopefully our nightmare is over..as of today.. she has been through so much for a person her age.. she is my joy and I am so glad she is back and acting like her happy wonderful sily self again :grouphug:

DOREEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter