Called POP about Bedbug Rumors

momh135

Earning My Ears
I was online tonight and came across some reports of bedbugs at Pop Century on Bedbug threads. First off, I know bedbud sites are crazy. Secondly, I am a Disney fanatic. I have stayed at POP before and LOVED it. That is why I am taking my children there again. That being said, my curiousity got the best o fme and I called the front desk to see what they would say about it. The gentleman whom I talked with was very courteous and told me that there is no type of bedbug problem and that he would even connect me wiht housekeeping to easy my mind and so that they could tell me how they "keep bedbugs out". He was very magical and sweet, even with me asking this awkward question. TRUTHFULLY, does anyone know anything about this so-called situation?:crazy2:

There have been quite a few DIS members posting on the official POP FAQ thread who are currently at POP and/or just returned and NONE have said anything about this. And believe me, if there was any kind of "situation" it would be ALL over the DIS.

Thanks,i figured that. Just read a few reviews from those just there. Seems okay, and I am going to continue dreaming of my upcoming magic celebration!

I did a Google search for posts on any site for the last 2 months about "Pop Century" and "Bed Bugs" and didn't see anything. :confused3

FWIW, there's no way to call the front desk of a Disney resort. Even when you're on site and press the Front Desk button you are routed to an offsite (often out of state) call center. I once thought I was talking to the OKW front desk, but later found out I was wrong. Unless someone there calls you, there's no way to get to them.

I just got back from pop though we had a bad housekeeper no ned bugs (dirty room but disney fixed the situation and gave us a extea night and ticket)

FWIW, there's no way to call the front desk of a Disney resort. Even when you're on site and press the Front Desk button you are routed to an offsite (often out of state) call center. I once thought I was talking to the OKW front desk, but later found out I was wrong. Unless someone there calls you, there's no way to get to them.

:thumbsup2 The only way to talk to someone at the Front Desk is physically walk there and speak to someone.

Otherwise, any button you push on your in-room phone is routed to a Disney call center somewhere. Aren't the call centers in Tampa and Oklahoma, I think?

ANy resort, anywhere, can be reported as having a bedbug issue! But, in 30+ stays at WDW resorts? Never had an issue.
And as already mentioned, there is no way to call a resort directly..you may think you are, but you aren't.
Even when in your room, if you call the front desk, you aren't getting the front desk. You call will be answered in a call center.
I would be very comfortable booking Pop. As I would any other WDW resort. I do tend to check out my room upon arrival. I check the seams on the mattress and along the baseboards, close to the bed. But that's about it.

I am nervous about this also... but I know no hotel is immune to the buggers. I just plan on checking. There have been quite a few threads on here about people seeing them at various Disney resorts not just Pop but I think a few cases with an establishment with that many rooms is probably (sadly) expected. EEKKK here is to bug free trips for all of us!

We were at PoP last week and no creepy things. However one of our beds were broken (seemed to be a broken box spring) causing the whole bed to sink to one side. Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

I wouldnt stress..BEDBUGS are possible at ANY hotel,motel and resort.Heck the Waldorf astoria has had them.Clothing stores and movie theaters and HOSPITALS have had cases.Nothing you can do about it..Just check your room before you bring your kids and luggage into it and if you see something that looks like bedbugs ( and there are whole sites out there on how to look) go to the front desk.

If bedbugs do show up at a WDW resort, they have a process to get rid of them. They use state of the art methods.

And most of the time the bedbugs come in with luggage and other items shipped to the resort by the guests.

I am over it already since I posted this last night! How interesting that you can't reach the front desk. I never would have thought. Crazy. Blessedwithboys, are you staying there soon. Thank you to those of you whom just stayed and posted. Makes me feel better. I am on to planning my packing. Sounds crazy, put I am a crazy planner. I agree that the buggies can be anywhere. Thanks again to all of you! My husband thinks I'm crazy. He said "Do you think they were going to say, "oh, yes we have bedbugs!, have a magical evening!" lol Oh well, off to obsess about more fun things. Best to all of you!:cutie:

Think of it this way:

When we stayed at Pop, we were so surprised by how vibrant the colors were. I just kept saying everything looks just like it does online. They painted the ping pong table really early a couple of mornings while we were there for 10 days. A manager was out there inspecting it with a clip board one morning! One of the yo yo stairwells was painted one day and a dime sized splat of green paint was under the railing that evening & the next morning. The next evening, the splat was gone. I think Disney likes for everything to look perfect.

If there was a hint of bedbugs, I can just imagine a Disney SWAT team going after those things!

Check the *corners* of the beds, pulling up any duvets/bedspreads, topsheet, blanked, fitted sheet, or liner, and inspect the mattress along the corner seams. If they're clean, you've done due diligence that should give you about as high a % level of confidence you can reasonably get that there are no critters.

Mattress corners/seams are where they are most likely to show up.

As for me, I keep my suitcase(s) on a chair or table and change out of it directly, not bothering with the in-room dresser. Just never felt comfortable using them, even before the bb issue arose. Blame that on my mom, who could write a million-dollar sanitation book on "How To Inspect The Absolute Crap Out Of Your Hotel Room And Come Out Staying In Your Car."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter