California to Require Gay History in Schools

Do you agree with California's requirement to teach gay history in schools?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
If we are to point out the sexuality of every person or nobody who achieves something great, what have we achieved? However, if we only focus on discussing the sexuality of homosexuals in this context - well, we achieve something different. That is what I mean. The wording of the bill isn't important. The intent is pretty clear. I amnot sure that it is good for anyone who believes that we are all created equal.

You know sexuality is one area where we do often point out straight people. I mean I know that John Adams and Abigail Adams were straight, or chose to present themselves that way. I know the same thing about Dr. And Mrs. King. As a kid I also knew when my straight teachers got married because their names changed. So to argue that people's sexuality is hidden at school isn't really true.

Another example is FDR. For a long time his disability was hidden. In contrast, presidents who could walk certainly didnt hide that fact. In FDR's time it would have been easy for a child or teenager who used a wheelchair to come to the mistaken conclusion that the presidency was reserved for those without physical disabilities. Yet I am sure that no able-bodied child grew up thinking that the presidency was reserved for those in wheelchairs.

I do, if the focus is on them being gay. So many many gay Americans have done great things. They are acknowledged for their great things. Why bring their sexuality into it? To show that "Gay folks have done great things, too'. ?? Isn't that a given?

Actual it's not a given and that's the problem. As some one previously mentioned all to often American history has been told by the "victors" or "majority".

It wasn't until the recent past that African Americans contributions were acknowledge. As the parent of a minority I can tell you for 100% fact that when children do not ever hear about the accomplishment of people who look like they do, they begin to question if they ever make a contribution.

It works the same way with the images they see in the media. When all Black young girls see themselves portrayed as are crack *****s or welfare queens, it's an uphill battle to make them believe that they can be the first lady of the country.

Oops I'm sorry . Duh me again! :laughing:

This proves my point in my own mind. I never knew Sojourner Truth was gay until just this minute. And you know what, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. What she DID is the tremendous thing in history. The only thing it means to me finding out today that she was gay is oh wow, she was gay? Only because someone chose to mention it. Otherwise, meaningless to me.

This I can understand.:thumbsup2

So let's just say Sojourner Truth was gay, you said it's meaningless to you, but what do you think it would mean to a young black lesbian?

That's the crux of the argument, none of this may mean anythin' to you, but for young gays 'n lesbians to learn that other gays have accomplished certain things might make all the difference to them.

Maybe to understand ya woulda had to live a life of bein' told ya ain't normal, you're an aberration 'n unworthy (as in not fit for the military) or you shouldn't be allowed to marry, have children, live where you want, hold a job as a teacher. :confused3

Maybe to understand ya woulda had to live a life of bein' told ya ain't normal, you're an aberration 'n unworthy (as in not fit for the military) or you shouldn't be allowed to marry, have children, live where you want, hold a job as a teacher. :confused3

:thumbsup2 I think it's very hard for the majority (straight or caucasian) to understand how that feels because it never, ever enters their mind but if you're gay or a minority, it's a constant message.

I just think all these examples sound good, like FDR being a role model for kids with disabilities, but I just feel like this reasoning can go on and on for everything. Fat kids, disabled kids, rich kids, gay kids, dwarf kids, Asian kids, mixed Asian/American kids (as mine are), inner city kids, slow-learning kids, Native American kids, even kids with chicken pox.

My point being, I believe the way to be inclusive is not to be exclusive. And this coming from someone with both flag-waving gay family and non flag-waving gay family.

One more thing, the gay soldier doesn't dispel the myth that gay men aren't manly. I don't think that myth exists anymore. Gay men are like everyone else, all different, some as flaming and womanly as I am and some as tough and manly as that hero soldier.

Gotta run, but I just wish sexuality wasn't an issue anymore, to GAYS and to STRAIGHTS. I don't care if you're G or S. Sorry. I just like you for you.

:thumbsup2 I think it's very hard for the majority (straight or caucasian) to understand how that feels because it never, ever enters their mind but if you're gay or a minority, it's a constant message.

My husband is a dark Filipino and I'm as White as white bread. My children are mixed. I want a Mixed-Race Heritage day!!!!!!!!

:rotfl:

Really gotta go jog with my pup.

I appreciate this civil discussion where we can learn from each other.

Later!

So let's just say Sojourner Truth was gay, you said it's meaningless to you, but what do you think it would mean to a young black lesbian?

That's the crux of the argument, none of this may mean anythin' to you, but for young gays 'n lesbians to learn that other gays have accomplished certain things might make all the difference to them.

I tried to convey this sentiment on another thread. Even though gay history means nothing to me, I would be a hypocrite if I said that it shouldn't be taught. As a black man, to me, black history is important. Who am I to say that a large percentage of the population shouldn't have their history taught. BUT, on the other hand, where does it stop? Do we teach Mexican American history?

Thanks for gettin' my message 'n passin' it on in other words! ;)

I tried to convey this sentiment on another thread. Even though gay history means nothing to me, I would be a hypocrite if I said that it shouldn't be taught. As a black man, to me, black history is important. Who am I to say that a large percentage of the population shouldn't have their history taught. BUT, on the other hand, where does it stop? Do we teach Mexican American history?

I'm in Texas, Darlin', we teach Mexican American history. :lmao:

tHIS IS WHERE i AGREE 1005 WITH YOU. I WANT THE KIDS TO FEEL THE TRUTH THAT THERES NOTHING ABNORMAL ABOUT THEM.

I'M SORRY, MY CAP LOCK IS STUCK ALL OF A SUDDEN.

Born, bred, and raised in New Mexico darlin'. And we already do. :lmao:

The title of this thread threw me a little as I find the term gay history a little bit odd. I'm gay but not particularly "proud" (no more than I'm "proud" of being human :rotfl:) and I always find discussions like these interesting.

I'm of the opinion that if an important historical figure is gay you could mention it in the same way you would perhaps mention sex, religion, nationality or general background information. I like the point about FDR - his disability wasn't important, the fact that it was hidden is more important.

The title of this thread threw me a little as I find the term gay history a little bit odd. I'm gay but not particularly "proud" (no more than I'm "proud" of being human :rotfl:) and I always find discussions like these interesting.

I'm of the opinion that if an important historical figure is gay you could mention it in the same way you would perhaps mention sex, religion, nationality or general background information. I like the point about FDR - his disability wasn't important, the fact that it was hidden is more important.

You musta missed the shame on you lesson some gays got growin' up. ;)

Back in 1967 when I was discharged from the Texas State Hospital for the Insane, my psychiatrist said it was okay to be gay, just don't tell anybody about it.
I hope that explains why some of us are proud.

You musta missed the shame on you lesson some gays got growin' up. ;)

Back in 1967 when I was discharged from the Texas State Hospital for the Insane, my psychiatrist said it was okay to be gay, just don't tell anybody about it.
I hope that explains why some of us are proud.
Oh I completely understand the sentiment from that respect. I'm 20 and British so my upbringing is about as far removed from 1960s Texas as one could imagine I'm sure!

Oh I completely understand the sentiment from that respect. I'm 20 and British so my upbringing is about as far removed from 1960s Texas as one could imagine I'm sure!

Well, I was one li'l po'd kid when we moved here 'n I didn't get a horse to ride to school. ;)

This is an interesting topic.

I can understand why some might think that pointing out that a person is gay is rather odd but I can also see why it might do much for gay kids to see what other gay people can accomplish. In my mind, gay people or not gay people can accomplish the same things but those who see gays as somehow weird or wrong likely don't see it that way, do they? It's a sad commentary on people's attitudes.

Thanks for bringing up that point. You would think that sexuality would be irrelevant in most cases but I guess that until it truly doesn't matter to society then it is relevant. If that makes sense. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter