California resort in Florida?

Thanks for posting.

My immediate thought is that this may be the plans for the rumored DVC for the Coronado Springs and Blizzard Beach area.

California Theme fits in perfectly with CSR. It also gives it a great location (water park and DHS).

It could also be the one that is being rumored for the old river country site. The designs that have shown up for that indicate something extending into the water which would fit with some of the California areas mentioned.

It could also be the one that is being rumored for the old river country site. The designs that have shown up for that indicate something extending into the water which would fit with some of the California areas mentioned.

Good point.

Initially, I thought it wouldn't fit in with last months leaked images clearly showing a structure similar to Crockett's Tavern. Given the space between WL and FW, they could certainly fit many different themed buildings in here.

I hope they aren't trying to fit a modern California theme into the FW area.
If it goes in at River Country, I would hope the buildings close to FW keep with the Old West theme.

Since I am (somewhat) new to DVC, do you think they would ever have 2 resort projects under construction at once? They must be doing fairly well in this economy to have 2 projects "in the works"...

Since I am (somewhat) new to DVC, do you think they would ever have 2 resort projects under construction at once? They must be doing fairly well in this economy to have 2 projects "in the works"...

Tim at DVCNews.com has some additional perspective on this...

When I saw the 2012 date, I sort of dismissed the notion of this being the tied into the Ft. Wilderness site.

2012 could not be a completion date for a Ft. Wilderness DVC as these resorts take about 3 years to build. More likely 2012 is Coon's estimation for completing design work, which would seem to put this project at least 5 years away from opening.

The filings with the SFWMD also suggest that designs are complete for Ft. Wilderness. Perhaps I'm wrong but my current sense is that this would be another project beyond Ft. Wilderness.

As for the "California" theme, I think that's sort of ingenious. There are so many different styles that could be leveraged into a 1200+ unit complex with that one unifying theme. If they design multiple neighborhoods or clusters, each with a style which represents a different area of CA, it would be tough for anyone to truly dislike the resort. It could become a sort of jack-of-all-trades with most members picking their own favorite.

I'd take the whole proposal with a generous dose of salt. Further down, it claims Eagle Pines DVC will open in 2008, and we all know that was canceled several years prior when SSR was announced.

I wonder if this resort could be built along the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Contemporary and Polynesian. After all it is called the California "Coast" resort. I know they had plans for a Mediterranean style resort in that area at one time.

I wonder if this resort could be built along the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Contemporary and Polynesian. After all it is called the California "Coast" resort. I know they had plans for a Mediterranean style resort in that area at one time.

This seems more fitting to design then the WL/FW 'coast'.

Doesn't anyone think that WDW is already flooded wtih DVC properties and really doesn't need another?

This could also work since the GF is based on the Del Coronado in San Diego.

I'd take the whole proposal with a generous dose of salt. Further down, it claims Eagle Pines DVC will open in 2008, and we all know that was canceled several years prior when SSR was announced.

It doesn't provide any further detail, but I've found one other document that lends support to this rumor. Square Peg Design has a PDF called "Branding the Built Environment" that lists "Disney's California Coast Resort, Orlando, FL" as one of its projects.

http://www.sqpeg.com/portfolios/SquarePegPortfolio_retail.pdf

Of course, it also lists Eagle Pines Resort as a project, so perhaps we should take a little bit of salt with it as well. :)

It is interesting, if you look at the drawings from the camping forum buildings going up near Ft Wilderness, they start out on the water and curve around the woods, etc. This would lend to an idea of a changing theme to reflect california beginning on the coast and going inland.

As far as these guys listing Eagle Pines, remember as artist renders/designers/architects, it really doesn't matter if they actually built the project, it is still project experience....

This link is now broken. Do you have the pdf file?

Sorry, I don't save the PDF but here is the text.

DISNEY VACATION CLUB CALIFORNIA COAST HOTEL – ORLANDO, FLORIDA

Disney Vacation Club decided to extend its hotel experience with their new California Coast Resort at H1, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, Florida. George Coon was invited by the DVC Design Team to work under the direct supervision of GSB Architects, and Mr. Wing Chao, providing design direction for this next and possibly best of the DVC properties in Orlando. California’s remarkable coast offers an experience of recognizable icons which were chosen to be represented in separate hotel experiences including; Venice Beach, Casa del Mar, Montage, the Balboa Pavilion, Laguna Hills, Newport Beach, and Santa Barbara. The project is presently in the Schematic Design Phase.

COMPLETION DATE: Estimated 2012

SIZE: Estimated 1,208 units

PROJECT COST: To Be Determined

Just like BLT plans disappeared once they had been linked here on the DIS- couldn't even get on the George Coon website at all. Although I guess they could just be working on the website.

Does it seem odd to anyone to have a "California" resort in Florida? I don't know, there is just something about it that doesn't sit right for me. It almost seems to me that DVC is running out of ideas if this is all they can come up with.

Does it seem odd to anyone to have a "California" resort in Florida? I don't know, there is just something about it that doesn't sit right for me. It almost seems to me that DVC is running out of ideas if this is all they can come up with.

Well I've just got to say it's way better than a California-themed theme park IN California! :rotfl: DCA was a clunker to begin with, no wonder it's taken them billions to "fix" it and get out from under that poor theme choice...giving people knock-offs of the real stuff that's just a drive away all to keep them "at the resort". At least in another state a themed resort makes a bit more sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter