California - LAX Hotels

tchoney

Disney Mom
Hello, My family is traveling to LAX next May for the Mexican Disney Cruise. I changed our flight, so that we fly into LAX the night before our cruise; Now we need a hotel. Can someone please recommend a hotel for us? We would like one close to the airport because it will be night when we arrive. One with Free Shuttle Service and Free Continental Breakfast would be wonderful!

I appreciate your help.

:flower1:

I can't comment on a free shuttle or breakfast, maybe they do have a free shuttle, but the Westin LAX is a fantastic hotel. Wonderful rooms with the best hotel beds and linens I've ever had and also a fabulous showerhead in the bathroom.

If you book through Westin's website you can get their lowest rate. In previous stays I have paid $99 plus tax.

Just my 2 cents :)

visit Los Angeles Convention & Visitors Bureau's website. You can learn alot about the LAX area hotels. You can also order brochures. I think their website is LAInc.com, you should also try to visit the Disneyland (California) forum.

The Radisson LAX is the closest hotel to the airport. It's so close that you can see it as you land. (I really did see it as I landed at LAX last summer coming back from Hawaii.) They do have a free shuttle but I am not sure about the breakfast. I was looking for a park and stay hotel for my flight to Kauai last summer and the Radisson was the best deal for park and stay. Don't even look at The Quality Hotel LAX. It was scary!
Good luck!

We also had to do some homework - we are flying in day before also. We have the Holiday Inn booked near the port. Will need to figure out transportation to hotel soon. :confused:

I'm guessing you guys have been told by DCL that the cruise will be leaving from San Pedro, rather than Long Beach where a few other ships sail from. If that's the case, then it looks like the Sheraton L.A. Harbor is your best bet. I've been right down there, at the base of 6th street, and I never even noticed the place, but the pictures look nice. I just haven't had occasion to look up the street, I suppose. The area is decent and it's very close to the cruise ship dock (where Princess Cruises sail from). Also, if you have an extra day, maybe walk down to the base of 6th street and take a look at the Maritime Musuem... it's a nifty place and they have a couple of tall ships docked out back usually (perhaps you'll find me on one!). There's also a fire boat place next door where you can look at the fire tugs. Just a little further down the road, you'll find shops and restaurants at Ports O' Call.

To get to San Pedro, you should probably look into Super Shuttle. That would seem the easiest, most economical way to get there, because it's a trip that will take a little time... if it's rush hour, it will take a lot of time. You have to come down the 405 out of the airport and then travel the 110 for a bit, down to the harbor area. I'm terrible at estimating mileage, but I'd wager it's a least 10 miles, probably a bit more.

If you need a hotel close to LAX, I'd try the airport website... they'll have links to area hotels, I think. There are a lot of hotels on Century Blvd, right at the edge of the airport. Those will be your best bet.

The Holiday Inn San Pedro/LA Harbor, near the port, has a special that is called Fly and Cruise. For $139. you get transportation from LAX to the hotel and then to the port the next day and your hotel room. And I think for $179. they will take you back to LAX after the cruise. I belive this pricing was for 2 adults. You can call the hotel directly to book: 800-248-3188.
We are looking into finding a car rental agency near the port and haven't had any luck.

I was on the San Pedro Port website and they have the Magic listed as leaving out of this port.

Magix- How far is San Pedro from Long Beach. I just assumed they were the same port. Are they relativly close?

AnnaS - I read where you have a reservation at the Holiday Inn. If this is the correct hotel...

Holiday Inn
LOS ANGELES-INTL AIRPORT
9901 LA CIENEGA BLVD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90045

They offer complimentary shuttle service from lax... I read that online.

I also found that The Comfort Inn and Suites Los Angeles Airport hotel also provides a 24-hour complementary courtesy shuttle to and from the Los Angeles International Airport.

And The Best Western offers 24-hour courtesy shuttle available and Complimentary continental breakfast which is a BIG Plus for our 3 Boys!

The Doubletree Hotel also offer Free complementary shuttle Service......

Thank you all for your help with hotels. All I have to do now is actually make the decision on which hotel and make the reservation!

:sunny:

Technically speaking, San Pedro and Long Beach are both the Port of Los Angeles, but the spots the cruise ships leave from are quite a bit apart. In San Pedro, they leave from right next to the Vincent Thomas Bridge. If you go over the bridge, travel along Terminal Island for a bit and head over to Long Beach, some of the other cruise ships leave from next to the former Spruce Goose dome, right beside the Queen Mary. Can't remember which cruise line that is, though. Carnival, maybe? But, since jilljill said they show the Magic leaving from San Pedro, it sounds like everybody's on the right track. San Pedro and Long Beach are probably something like 5 miles from each other (oh, I'm so bad at judging distance!). It's something like that, anyway. Not far, but you couldn't walk it (at least, I wouldn't want to walk over the Vincent Thomas Bridge, even if it's possible).

jilljill - I don't think I've seen any car rental places at the port. You'd have to rent from LAX and keep the car at the port while you're gone. That would be a waste of money. Unless somebody like Enterprise has one of those neighborhood rental places in one of the local hotels. It's not really a big volume area, in spite of the cruise ships. You'd be better off with Super Shuttle or something of the sort.

Originally posted by ssnyder
We are staying at the Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel. This is right at the port. I never stayed there before so I don't know anything about it, ...
You might want to look at the Tripadvisor reviews of the Sheraton Los Angeles Harbor Hotel. Most hotels with any number of reviews have a few bad reviews, but nobody seems to have anything nice to say about this Sheraton.
Originally posted by Magix
Technically speaking, San Pedro and Long Beach are both the Port of Los Angeles, but the spots the cruise ships leave from are quite a bit apart.
Well, technically the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro and the Port of Long Beach are two different ports, but they adjoin each other. The World Cruise Center at the Port of Los Angeles and the Carnival Cruise Terminal at the Port of Long Beach are about seven miles apart.

Magix, thanks for the car rental info. I guess we will need to look at different options.

How far is Redondo Beach from San Pedro port? I just met a family from Ca. when we were at HHI last week. They recommended stayingat Redondo the night before the cruise as they did not feel staying in at the Holiday In at the San Pedro port was a good idea.

Magix- My friend called one of the Long beach rent a cars and they said you could take a taxi from long beach to the port. In your opinion is this accurate info? She was thinking of doing this. We're still waiting for Disney's transportation to become available...just looking into our options right now.

I need to decide if it's just easier to use DCL transfers. We will be leaving from DL.

If you want to stay close to LAX - I do recommend the Westin - The Radisson is just about on the LAX property and that has got to be noisy!!!

The Westin is just down the street about 1/2 mile -

But there are plenty of hotels around the Westin (in case you do miles/points)

Long Beach has a great night life - Whether you stay dowtown by Pine Ave or The Pike (very fun out door mall and restaurants) or hang out on 2nd Street in Belmont Shores (long beach)

Not much to do by the hotels near LAX - not the safest of areas either - I would not recommend walking around there -

Karen

We left on a Princess cruise in October from San Pedro. They estimated the time from LAX to San Pedro at 45 minutes. Since we were traveling on a Saturday and the expressways weren't as crowded the Princess shuttle took 1/2 hour each way.

It did not appear like anything was near San Pedro. We stayed at the Grand Floridian Hotel and returned our car to LAX in the morning and then took the shuttle. Not the cheapest way but it was very pleasant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter