California Grill vs Narcoossee's

1983DisneyFanatic

New DVC member 2020
Please help me choose between California Grill and Narcoossee's for my 1 year anniversary dinner. My husband and I have never been to either of these restaurants. We will be there the end of September and plan to dine during Hallowishes display and would like to view the fireworks from the restaurant, preferably during our meal. We have the deluxe dining plan. The food choices at Narcoossee's appeal to me slightly more, especially if the lobster and filet is covered by the dining plan. I have heard California Grill is the best restaurant for viewing the fireworks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to plan a special dinner for my DH.

CG is better for viewing fireworks. Narcoossee's is good too, just not as close as GC.

In my opinion, I like Narcoossee's food a lot better.

I would ask yourself what's more important to you, a menu with more items that appeal to you, or a better fireworks viewing.

BTW, the filet and lobster is one of the best menu items for your dining points at Disney.

Please help me choose between California Grill and Narcoossee's for my 1 year anniversary dinner. My husband and I have never been to either of these restaurants. We will be there the end of September and plan to dine during Hallowishes display and would like to view the fireworks from the restaurant, preferably during our meal. We have the deluxe dining plan. The food choices at Narcoossee's appeal to me slightly more, especially if the lobster and filet is covered by the dining plan. I have heard California Grill is the best restaurant for viewing the fireworks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to plan a special dinner for my DH.
CA Grill can be hit-or-miss. Two reasons - where you're seated can matter, and the room can get very noisy. Also, too many people are not dressed in nice clothes and that detracts from the ambiance for me. Regardless, the best view at Disney. If you mention before you arrive that you are celebrating, it's likely you'll have one of the better experiences they can provide.

Narcoossee's is far more consistent, but I'm not sure it's romantic. Yes, lobster is covered by Dining Plan.

While I'm not a huge fan of CA Grill and prefer the consistency at Narcoossee's, I'd recommend CA Grill for an anniversary.

I think I'm going to rock the boat here and say Cali Grill over Narcoosee's (although I have not eaten at CG since it's refurb).

I've been to both restaurants and had a lovely meal in both however, I preferred my meal more at CG - I do wonder if this was because I made better choices though. The atmosphere in both restaurants is lovely but I agree that Cali Grill can sometimes get a little noisy and, for an anniversary, Narcoosee's would be the more romantic option. In terms of fireworks I have always enjoyed watching from CG more, not only because of the view but because Narcoosee's is on the waterfront I was surrounded by bugs.

It really depends what you are looking for, I'd probably lean toward Cali Grill. I'm heading back there this year but chose to visit Artist Point as my second signature dining visit over other restaurants.

I say go to Narcoosee's for the fireworks - we've never had a bad meal there - BUT make plans to drop in at Cali Grill one afternoon around 5 o'clock - w/o reservation - you can get a great table for 2 by the window in the lounge area - have an app and cocktail and enjoy the view for a while - so you get the best of both worlds - congrats on your 1 year!:daisy:

I would definitely pick Narcoossee's over California grill. I think the food is better and I like the atmosphere better. I have never had a bad meal at Narcoossee's; however, I have not really had a bad meal at California grill. I think I just the like the atmosphere better.

My husband and I do Narcoossees every trip for our "special" dinner. Last year we walked the grounds of the Floridian which are beautiful and then took the boat to the MK. hallowishes were going on during the boat ride and we were the only ones on the boat!

I've done the California Grill during fireworks on a couple of occasions and it was a magical experience both times. DH, who is very picky about food, loved everything he ordered. I highly recommend trying it! I haven't been to Narcoossee's but it sounds like it's definitely worth trying on my next trip!

We go to both restaurants twice per year... BOTH are excellent.

But we would have to give the nod to the California Grill - and in doing so, we're not even CONSIDERING the fireworks.

I say go to Narcoosee's for the fireworks - we've never had a bad meal there - BUT make plans to drop in at Cali Grill one afternoon around 5 o'clock - w/o reservation - you can get a great table for 2 by the window in the lounge area - have an app and cocktail and enjoy the view for a while - so you get the best of both worlds - congrats on your 1 year!:daisy:

Thanks for the congratulations! Your idea would be perfect, but I don't have another night available on this trip. We are only in DW for 3 nights, as the first half of our trip is being spent in Miami. Our other two nights will be in Epcot for Food and Wine Festival with IllumiNations and the other will be MNSSHP. This trip will have to be one or the other. Hopefully I will be able to try the other on another trip.

I think the view from Cali Grill cannot be beat! We've actually seen Hallowishes from there and it was stunning. I also prefer the food and service at Cali Grill. Unfortunately, we have not had good experiences at Narcoosee's and we've given it two tries (on our last trip, they basically never picked up our entrees and after waiting 30 minutes after our appetizers, we finally asked when the entrees would be ready. Waitress then proceeded to serve us stone cold food). We won't be back to Narcoosee's :(

We are doing both in September. I will post current reviews. I love both but prefer Narc for the food. This will be our first CG for Wishes. Looking forward to it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Results are pretty mixed, so hopefully that means I can't lose either way.

I think that for view alone, CG cant be beat, but for food and view, I would choose Narcoossees. The food is excellent, and after dinner you can watch Hallowishes from the front porch. I saw it from that vantage point last October, and it was lovely. The atmosphere is dark and not as noisy as CG. I have not had dinner at CG since the refurb, so I am not comfortable discussing the food there, but I know it was delicious a few years ago.

I love Narcoossee's and is our arrival day tradition. I have also been to CG for each of our last three visits to WDW. My impressions of CG have been good, but not great food and very spotty service. Yes, the view from the CG can be spectacular but there are also some pretty lousy seats as well. If you are seated in the "community" style booth seats that run along the restaurant just to the right of the bar and near the server stations, some in your party will have their backs turned from the windows. However, CG does offer an observation deck and the views are great.

With all that said, Narcoossee's offers an excellent view of Wishes as well, just at ground level. Also, you can go out on the deck and watch the show from there as well. Another nice thing about Narcoossee's is that you will get an excellent view of the Electric Water Pageant as it goes by. In short, they are both among the best locations to watch Wishes.

When it comes to the menu, I enjoy Narcoossee's better. I give the edge to CG when it comes to appetizers, but the edge on the entree's to Narcoossee's and a huge and I mean huge edge to Narcoossee's when it comes to desserts. The Almond Crusted Cheese Cake is perhaps the best dessert in WDW. CG's dessert choices I find rather odd. Just can't get excited about donuts, ice cream floats and some other rather odd desserts for a signature restaurant. IMO, Narcoossee's is great and California Grill is good.

It depends on what is important to you. For better food, better service and better ambiance, choose Narcoossee's. If you want the chance of a good view of the fireworks, choose the California Grill.

If you are planning for this September I think you need to see of either restaurant still has an available ADR that will enable you to see the fireworks. These ADR's book well in advance.
If you can still get an ADR I would choose Narcoossee's. But you will likely have to leave your table and go out on the deck to view the fireworks.
Congratulations and have a great trip.

If you are planning for this September I think you need to see of either restaurant still has an available ADR that will enable you to see the fireworks. These ADR's book well in advance.
If you can still get an ADR I would choose Narcoossee's. But you will likely have to leave your table and go out on the deck to view the fireworks.
Congratulations and have a great trip.
I have a reservations for both and need to decide, so I can cancel the other and let someone else have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter