• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill - new entree?

Daisy21015

Mouseketeer
I always get the pork tenderloin at CG - this time, I want to try something different.

What are some of your favorites - other than the pork?

Anyone try the Monchong?

My DH and I always have to have the Oak-Fired Fillet. We will be there in May and I can't wait to have it again :goodvibes. However, I was reading about the Monchong and that sounds really really good too, but knowing me, I will stick with what I know and love best there. Good luck and have a great time.

Thanks! I always get the pork and really want to try something new. Hoping I will actually do it once I'm there!!

When I was there in Dec I got the Florida snapper with fig risotto. It was really good. However, after I got back I read a review someone wrote where they ordered the same thing and it was horrible with scales and bones in it.:confused3 Mine was nothing like that and was delicious. I also ordered a beet salad that was REALLY good. It had alot of different greens, candied nuts, and little fried cheese balls on the side of the plate.:cloud9: I always order either a flatbread or sushi for my appetizer, but for some reason let the waiter talk me into that beet salad. I was sooooo glad I did. I could have made a meal off that salad. The flavors just worked so well together. It was the best appetizer I had all week.

It's a little hard to say at Cali Grill since their menu changes a lot, with the exception of their mainstays like the pork. That monchung preparation (asian based) has been available for the last few years, but with rotating different fish eash time. My wife had that snapper with fig risotto in Nov, and it was really good. Back in april they had a Salmon with green pea risotto that was incredible, but in Nov it was nowhere to be seen. In general I would say their fish dishes all seem to be excellent.

The one thing I wasn't too crazy about was their Filet.

I had the Monchong in Dec. 2010 -- very delicious. I was very happy it was on the menu because I saw it online and wanted to try it. It's a deep sea Hawaiian fish. Never heard of it before so always nice to try something new. Mahi Mahi, Salmon, and Tuna gets old after a while.

DW says California Grill has the best filet of all the signature restaurants on the dining plan.

Here's a picture... a full review is at the link below....

Pacific Monchong with stir fry vegetables, soy shtakes (spelled wrong so not edited out!), sticky rice, ginger soy hijiki broth
ry%3D480

I have to say I am also a big fan of the pork entree here too. Its hard to order something different when you only visit so rarely and its such a great dish. I have had other dishes at CG prior to trying the pork and was not really a fan, so I typically stick with the pork. However on our last visit, DH ordered the scallops and they were some of the BEST I've ever had. I would hands down order them again.

Our favorites
Scallops:love:
Sushi (especially the Spicy Kazan and Tuna 3 ways):love:
Pork:love:
Flatbreads
Valrhona Chocolate Cake (especially with the Peanutbutter ice cream) :love:
Banana Butterscotch Buzz (I don't think this is on the menu anymore either, but I think there is something similar)

Our "Not" so favorites
Oak fired filet (we've had much better at Le Cellier and Yachtsman)
Cod with Duck Ravioli (not sure if its on the menu anymore)
Chilled lobster salad with blood orange sauce ( it was just eh)

Can't remember the name...but it's a sushi dish with scallops over all kinds of stuff...UNREAL GOOD!

Can't remember the name...but it's a sushi dish with scallops over all kinds of stuff...UNREAL GOOD!

That would be the aforementioned spicy kazan roll.

I'm a big fan of their flatbreads, but, really, just ask your waiter. They are very good at discerning your tastes and recommending accordingly. Our waiter the last time we were there brought us great wine pairings, suggested fantastic appetizers, and even steered us away from a couple things that we probably wouldn't have enjoyed as much as we thought we would.

He was very good, as is most of the staff there.

As someone said, the menu changes save for a few staples items. So it's hard to make suggestions because they may not have that entree when you go.

I've loved every entree I've ever eaten there. I don't get the steak or pork since they always have those.

I've enjoyed Ostrich Filet, Snapper, and Halibut dishes, along with the flatbreads and any risotto appetizer.

As someone said, the menu changes save for a few staples items. So it's hard to make suggestions because they may not have that entree when you go.

I've loved every entree I've ever eaten there. I don't get the steak or pork since they always have those.

I've enjoyed Ostrich Filet, Snapper, and Halibut dishes, along with the flatbreads and any risotto appetizer.

Oh God! Do you remember the lobster risotto they had for an appetizer a few years ago.:lovestruc I wish I had forgotten the entree and just ordered three of those for my meal (appetizer, entree, and dessert:rotfl:). The dish was small, but sooooo good! I'd love if they'd put it back on the menu.:cloud9:

Oh God! Do you remember the lobster risotto they had for an appetizer a few years ago.:lovestruc I wish I had forgotten the entree and just ordered three of those for my meal (appetizer, entree, and dessert:rotfl:). The dish was small, but sooooo good! I'd love if they'd put it back on the menu.:cloud9:

I remember the risotto and sadly nevered ordered it before they took it off the menu.:sad2: I wish they would bring it back too!

I've always ordered the filet when we dine here and love it, but I walked on the wild side during our Christmas visit and had the pork - it was an amazing dish, can't believe I've ignored it all these years. Now I don't know if I'll be able to try anything else...... My son had the snapper and he enjoyed it, and we all really love the flatbreads....

Another vote for the filet of beef.....had it in October and the whole meal was exceptional. You just can't go wrong with a good piece of filet mignon!!
And the sushi was also amazing...we shared the spicy Kazan roll for an appetizer and it definitely exceeded our expectations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter