• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill, Narcoosee's or The Boathouse?

Kricketnp

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to plan a nicer meal while in Disney in late October and have basically narrowed it down to these 3. California Grill was my first choice based mainly on location, but I haven't found a reservation yet (but will keep looking). Now that I'm looking into the other signature offerings, The Boathouse and Narcoosee's are both in the running. Which do you prefer and why??

I dont feel like either restaurant can stand up to a reservation at California Grill that allows you to watch the fireworks.

Narcoossee's, to me, looks relatively bland/safe in comparison from a menu prospective and an interior perspective, and just as pricey. Additionally sounds like it will be more difficult to get to for you. I also prefer watching the fireworks high up more so than down on the water or even in the park. I am not speaking from experience because I've never tried Narcoossee's because of the aforementioned reasons.

I had an unpleasant experience the last time I was at Boathouse due to seating difficulties even with a reservation, so I can't give an unbiased opinion on that one, but the food was pretty good but not up to the caliber of the food at California Grill.

I would hands down take California Grill over either of the other two, but since you're having difficulty getting a reservation, I'd offer another alternative: Citricos. I've eaten here three times for special occasions and have found the food to be exemplary and the service has always been outstanding. I thought the atmosphere was equivalent to CaliGrill, though with a slightly more relaxed vibe. At CaliGrill, I think because of the location, I felt like I was dining in a very hoity-toity restaurant. Citiricos has the same dress code, but I've never felt like I needed to be 100% proper all the time there like I have at CaliGrill. It's difficult for me to explain the differences, I'm finding, in text. I just felt... more relaxed and at ease at Citricos.

That said, the bison at CaliGrill was absolutely superb, and I would be on my best behavior every day for the rest of my life to eat it again.

Narcoossee's food isn't bad--I had an amazing filet there--but I have never had quality service. And, barring getting a window seat, it's a bit of a pain to watch the fireworks. The angle is good, but it isn't great, and I found it wasn't worth getting out of my seat for. I haven't eaten at The Boathouse yet, so I can't speak to their menu or anything like that.

I would go with Citricos as well. Boathouse is nice, but a bit loud. The view from Narcoossee's over the water and looking at the Magic Kingdom is very nice. I'm not as big a fan of Cali Grill. I find it to be a little pretentious, and I've never been blown away by the food or service. Citricos and Flying Fish are my favorite restaurants in WDW.

California Grill all day every day - time it right for the fireworks, but even if you cant get the right time, its still awesome.

Boathouse has the best food IMHO.

Fireworks aren't enough to overcome the fact that the food at Cal Grill has slipped over the past few years

But here's another option. Blue Zoo. Great food, great atmosphere.

Boathouse on my last trip was a big letdown. We had a special dinner night planned while my parents watched the kids and The food portions were small and very bland tasting and extreamly expensive. I would not recommend it.

I loved California Grill. We went there on our anniversary and the views were stunning. We were there at sunset and we could see all of magic kingdom and the lagoon. The restaurant was very warm and inviting and our server was amazing. The chef came to our table because I have food allergies.and he recommended a few dishes that were delicious. Plus you get to watch the fireworks on the restaurants viewing platform. Even if your reservation is early you can come back at a later time to view them. This is my vote

I have never been to Narcossees but I read good reviews.

Just want to mention Victoria and Alberts if it is a romantic dinner. The price is so worth it. It was one of the best meals I have ever eaten and such a wonderful experience.

For me it has to be the Boathouse by a Disney mile. Our food was outstanding there in April.

Narcooses is way less than it used to be. Menu vastly reduced, service poor and food was not well cooked this year.

California Grill is great but it is mainly location food is nice but not mind blowing

We used to love V&As but the price has gone up so much in the last couple of years we feel it is no longer worth it.

We have eaten at all 3 restaurants and enjoyed all of them. You really can't go wrong. California Grill with the viewing platform probably has the best atmosphere of the 3. Our meal and server were wonderful and the whole experience was good. Our meal at Narcooses was also really good - all 4 of us loved it. Service was a little slow, but not bad during peak dinner time. It is nice to walk around the Grand Floridian, just a beautiful area. Boathouse has now become our "must do" for every trip we take. The steaks at Boathouse are amazing. They have a great menu with a lot of choices. I have had everything from the steak to fish to burgers and all have been great. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Good Luck deciding!!

Boathouse--portions are actually quite large. Steaks are great and the swordfish out does even the Blue Zoo.

IT is louder than the other 2 however---

Of the three, I have not had dinner at the Boathouse. My preference would be Narcoossee. I love the food, the service has always been stellar, and I think the view of Wishes is lovely. It is not CG vantage point, but is is lovely nonetheless.

I also have enjoyed Yachtman Steakhouse several times. I know it was nto on your list, but it was delicious food, and excellent service. The bonus is the Boardwalk. We love to stroll along in the evening. I have not seen teh DHS fireworks from the Beack Club, but I read that you can see them from the area.

The million $$$$$ question...Which one would you choose.?...Everyone will have their own favourites, and by pure coincedence we had booked all three restaurants for our upcoming 14 nighter, but switched The Boathouse for YS due to indifferent recent reviews on Trip Advisor ....But to the question of what is more important to you..The food, the service, the ambience, the price..For me it's the food first, especially at a signature restaurant, then the ambience, then the service, and last the price, ( our five signature restaurant bills were approx the same total last trip ) And the reason I make the ambience more important than the server reminds me of our poor experience at Le Cellier many years ago, apart from the meal being pretty very average, the atmosphere was terrible, way too dark, crammed into a table for two, when they were two adults and a ten year old, but our server was fantastic, but didn't help our disappointment of our first signature experience...

All personal opinion - I'm not right, you aren't wrong. 12 years at WDW - twice per year....

The California Grill - emphatic YES.
Narcoossee's - emphatic YES.

Boathouse - poor menu, hope you like riding 1950's amphicars (the main attraction).

YOU will decide if dinner is to be fine food, or entertainment.

Feel the need to add into your confusion :-)

My first choice is with several others and would be Cali Grill. Their food has never disappointed us (though service has) and you truly can't beat the views of MK and fireworks.

We've never done Boathouse, but Narcoossee's has come on strong for me lately. With flying fish shut down we tried it for the first time last year and were very surprised at how good the food was. If you want seafood this is may even eclipse CG in the food department

We have eaten at all three, Narcoosee's the most, love going out to the dock for the fireworks, and our meals have always been outstanding. Boathouse also delicious. Years ago, CG was our don't miss, now like a pp stated, we much prefer Citrico's. Don't think you would go too far wrong with any of your choices!

By the way. I've never bothered to ride the cars at Boathouse

To me the CG menu has become the big letdown. And service is either nonexistent or overly rushed. I gave them a couple of tries after the remodel before I walked away Like a lot of Disney restaurants they are coasting either on their reputation or their dining plan captive audience IMHO

We just returned from a trip where we dined at both the California Grill and the Boathouse. I have eaten in the past at Narcoosees, but that was about 8 years ago. Based on my latest trip, I would definitely choose the California Grill. It not only does it have a delicious and amazing menu, it has a beautiful location and the view is unreal. Our waiter was great as well. He made suggestions that paid off!! LOL We came back that evening to watch the fireworks on the balcony and it was one of my favorite memories of the vacation. So, I wholeheartedly suggest the California Grill!!

WOW! Thanks for the feedback everyone...Basically, I think I'll keep looking for the Cali Grill, but if I can't get an ADR, doesn't sound like I can go too wrong with any of the others! I'll check out the menu at Citricos to see if it looks like something we'd enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter