California Grill for Kids????

Katiebug

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I am trying to decide what to do our first night. Our flight gets in at 5:15pm -so we probably won't even get to the World until 6:15ish.

I know we will all be starving so I was thinking before we check in I would make dinner res somewhere cool.

Would the California Grill be ok for younger kids - my dd's are 2 and 4? Do you have to dress up or would we be ok in shorts & tees?

My other two ideas are the Cinderella Dinner at Grand Floridian or Cape May Cafe at Beach Club.

Or should I scratch any ressies and just play it by ear???

Thanks,
Jennifer

I have done the CaGrill 2 times. 1st time on honeymoon during fireworks--fantastic! Second time 2 summers ago with parents and boys 6months and 3 1/2. We had early seating and were sat with other families. Server seemed irratated to be working "kiddie section". My kids were actually fairly well behaved compared to some of the others around. Hubby is in restaurant business so kids are used to eating out though they can have their moments! The food was very good and mine ate but he is used to more "grown up" food. They have rice krispie sushi (fruit rollups) that is adorable and my son loved. Although it wasn't nearly as relaxing as the first time, it was still very good---except for the server!! This is one restaurant that is a little more resort casual though--we did hit the room and change out of our "park" clothes but nothing too fancy. You will have great food and a great view!

My kids ALWAYS dine with us, ALWAYS have. They are very well behaved, have good table manners and are good eaters...But still they were kids and occasionally a little rambunctiousness gets out. As long as it's controllable there will be no problem at any Disney restaurant.

RE: CG specifically, the staff is great. Never a problem. What my kids love about it that they get to color (draw) on the table cloth (paper actually). We have to rotate positions during the course of our stay so that virtually every inch is decorated before we leave. Great fun really.
pirate:

It is my girl's (8,6,2) favorite restaraunt. We like to "dress for dinner", but you will see people who come directly from a long day in the park as well.

I agree with Captain Crook. DS has dined at CG since age 4. He is 12 now and still loves it. In all these years I have only encountered 1 impatient server. I confronted him, asked if he could switch with another server, his total demeanor then changed and that meal was wonderful like all the others. I must say, I love coloring on the tablecloth too!!!!!! However, with a 2 & 4 year old all I would suggest is maybe select one of your other choices for the 1st, travel weary night and save CG for another night when maybe naps have been had and some of the 'Mickey new' has been experienced.

Have fun!

MamaQuack
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I agree with QBush, I would enjoy it another night. It is too nice of a dining experience to arrive tired or anxious about getting to the PS.

BTW, I think an hour from landing to WDW is not very likely. I usually figure 1.5. For a PS I would allow two. The monorail at the airport, getting luggage etc....

As others have told you, kids are the norm. Dress varies all over the place. We've even seen high school kids dressed for a prom or whatever. We prefer to dress just a bit...resort casual I guess but you will certainly see folks there straight from the parks, too.

It's been a long time since my children were that little but I think a quick dinner in your resort or even on the way to WDW and then bedtime might make for a more relaxing start to your vacation. I do know mine were early risers at those ages and better to start off the trip well rested.

We did Cape May the first night with kids/grandkids (10, 7, 20 months) and it was perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter