California Grill First Timers

My wife and I are heading down to Disney on a spontaneous vacation for a couple of days in August. We just made reservations at California Grill (right before the fireworks no less!), and it will be our first time eating there. Since it is a bit on the pricey side, I thought I would see if anyone had any recommendations about anything particularly tasty on the menu?

If its on, the Lobster Risotto was amazing!! washed down with Veuve Cliquot !

Cali grille sounds great, but we plan on eating dinner earlier in the evening with my parents elsewhere. Can we book a table for dessert and coffee at 9:30, before the fireworks start at 10:00? or is that frowned upon? We would still be a table of four without my parents. What do you think?

I ate at the California Grill on 3rd June this year with my 8 year old son and can recommend it without reservation
We were on DDP but to save dining credits I paid OOP as I intended to have some wine but no dessert and as my son did not fancy any of the starters we shared a flatbread
I had the Deluxe Sushi Platter and the amount of sushi served is easily enough for one person as a main course
Regards drinks with the flatbread I ordered a bottle of Orlando Blonde Ale which as a bit of a beer snob I can fully recommend, I asked the waitress to recommend a glass of wine to complement the Sushi and the Conundrum she suggested was excellent and although $14 a glass was miles ahead of the wine I drink at home
We were seated in the corner overlooking Magic Kingdom on one side and Epcot on the other, (although the castle was obscured by a column from our seats) we had a great view of the pass and it was very interesting watching the chefs at work. come the fireworks most people went to the viewing deck but we moved our chairs round and watched from inside, no music was played which some commented on but I think this is the norm now
One thing no one has mentioned is seeing the the sun set over the Magic Kingdom. The slowly setting sun is something I have only seen like this in Ibiza and if you are there around 8 30 PM is certainly a sight to see
Last but not least thank you to our waitress Kelly who was attentive and professional making sure my sons apple juice was kept topped up and provided fantastic service throughout the evening

Your pictures just helped me make up my mind! I needed one more TS and couldn't decide. California Grill it is!

We are a family of 3 adults and a teen with a reservation for dinner in August at the California Grill. Should we use 2 TS credits from our plan or pay OOP? I was thinking we should pay OOP for one of our other meals such as a buffet like Chef Mickey??

We are a family of 3 adults and a teen with a reservation for dinner in August at the California Grill. Should we use 2 TS credits from our plan or pay OOP? I was thinking we should pay OOP for one of our other meals such as a buffet like Chef Mickey??
A lot depends on what other meals you have planned and what you're looking at ordering.

Signatures are generally a less than ideal use of DDP TS Credits, as it is difficult to make up the "cost" of those 2 credits using the covered items on the DDP. Mathematically, each TS credit costs you ~$31 on DDP, so making a meal cost ~$62 is difficult with just an Entree, Dessert, and Drink.

Now, with that said, getting less than ideal value for your credit is far better than leaving it unused. So if Chef Mickey's would be the only OOP meal, and if you paid OOP at CG you were left with an unused credit, use them at CG.

Note: The math is a bit different on DxDDP. Due to the way the plan is structured, each Dx credit costs around ~$24, thus 2 credits costing ~$48. It's far easier to hit that ~$48 mark than it is to hit $~62, especially when you have the addition of an appetizer on Dx as well. This is the primary reason that signatures are a perfectly acceptable use on DxDDP, even to excess, while DDP they're either not recommended, or at least recommended to be used sparingly.

I always use the 2 TS - with my group it's way too easy to rack up $300+ meals there (not including drinks or tip.) Well worth it, IMO, but YMMV. For my group, eating at CG is an Occasion and we make the most of it.

We are eating at CG for our 27th wedding anniversary.
I can not wait. Our DS age 20 and DD age 17 will be with us.
We have a 7:30 PM ADR - so I think we will be good for the MK fireworks.
MK closes at 10 PM that night.
yummy :goodvibes

Any no-sugar desserts ?

Thanks for your thoughts about the dining plan vs paying OOP. This is our first time on the new dining plan...no apps. I know my kids will be surprised at that!

Our ADR is at 9:20....is that too late???

I had the Oak Fired Filet when I was there a couple weeks ago, it was divine, just melted in your mouth, cooked perfectly to order.

7170197313_6737e0292b_z.jpg

We are eating at CG for our 27th wedding anniversary.
I can not wait. Our DS age 20 and DD age 17 will be with us.
We have a 7:30 PM ADR - so I think we will be good for the MK fireworks.
MK closes at 10 PM that night.
yummy :goodvibes

Any no-sugar desserts ?

When I was there, the only No Sugar added dessert I remember seeing was the Peaches and Cream.

Olive Oil Cake, Florida Peaches, Vanilla Panna Cotta, and Peach Ice Cream.

7355404364_6049f84422_z.jpg

When I was there, the only No Sugar added dessert I remember seeing was the Peaches and Cream.

Olive Oil Cake, Florida Peaches, Vanilla Panna Cotta, and Peach Ice Cream.

7355404364_6049f84422_z.jpg

Thank you - looks good - I do like peaches - and the vitamin C in them :goodvibes

I've only eaten there once and it was very good. Had some sort of flatbread, the filet, and the caramel-banana dessert. Very very tasty on all counts.

View from my table...
IMG_2065_small.jpg

Nomnomnomnom
IMG_2067_small.jpg

IMG_2070_small.jpg

IMG_2074_small.jpg

The one recommendation I have, is to not miss out on the observation deck. While it'll be dark when you're done, the view is quite amazing...

IMG_2080_small.jpg

IMG_2086_small.jpg

I also had all of these dishes and I can honestly say that they were AMAZING! The best meal of our trip! (WGPE was tied for first actually believe it or not. Lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter