California Grill First Timers

SleepingBeautyBoy

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are heading down to Disney on a spontaneous vacation for a couple of days in August. We just made reservations at California Grill (right before the fireworks no less!), and it will be our first time eating there. Since it is a bit on the pricey side, I thought I would see if anyone had any recommendations about anything particularly tasty on the menu?

The Spicy Kazan Roll (sushi), Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta and the Valrhona Chocolate Cake are amongst the best dishes I have ever tasted!

You are in for a real treat whatever you order!

Even if you wind up ordering several appetizers (depending on budget and appetites) you can enjoy all the restaurant has to offer, and not to mention, an incredible view!!
A wonderful way to spend an evening in Disney!:thumbsup2

I've only eaten there once and it was very good. Had some sort of flatbread, the filet, and the caramel-banana dessert. Very very tasty on all counts.

View from my table...
IMG_2065_small.jpg

Nomnomnomnom
IMG_2067_small.jpg

IMG_2070_small.jpg

IMG_2074_small.jpg

The one recommendation I have, is to not miss out on the observation deck. While it'll be dark when you're done, the view is quite amazing...

IMG_2080_small.jpg

IMG_2086_small.jpg

We just ate at CG in Sunday night. This was our 7 or 8th time and it was the best we've ever had. I almost always have the Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta, while my DS and DH have the filet. All were perfect!!! For dessert my DH had the chocolate bread pudding, my DS the cookie platter and I had the Valrhona Chocolate Cake. This was my first time having the chocolate cake and I was kicking myself for not having tried it before. It was perfection!!! We were also treated to the biggest thunderstorm/lightening show I've ever seen.

Our waiter was the BEST waiter we've ever experienced at ANY restaurant anywhere. He was funny, attentive and his recommendations were spot on......Thanks Ron, for making tour dinner wonderful!!!!! Have a great dinner. :)

We just ate at CG in Sunday night. This was our 7 or 8th time and it was the best we've ever had. I almost always have the Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta,

I get this literally every time, and I go once or twice a year. I keep saying I'm going to get something else, but I don't. It's so freaking delicious.

The flatbreads are always reeeeeally good, and pretty huge too (they could serve as an entree if you want to save some money - but if you're willing to splurge a bit, by god, get the pork and polenta!)

I'm allergic to sushi but my sister says it's really spectacular there.

I just ate there for the first time Friday night. I had the Spicy Kazan Roll and the Pork Tenderloin. OMG! It was so delicious! As soon as I got home, I made us a reservation for our August trip.

Everything we have eaten has been stellar :thumbsup2

Some favorites:
Flatbread
Deluxe Sushi Platter
Filet
Pork Tenderloin

Whatever you do, don't hype it up in your head :). Don't get me wrong, my Spicy Kazan roll was good but I've had better sushi for less money where I live. I went in thinking it was going to be the best ever and was underwhelmed since it's pricey. However, the view is amazing.

:) We eat there at least twice on our trips becasue it is just so delicious. DH and I usually get a flat bread to share. I have had the goat cheese ravioli and it is very good for an appetizer. We have only gotten the Filet--it is so fantastic and melt in your mouth good that we just can't tear ourselves away from it. They have a wonderful bread basket, too. We also usually get the banana foster type dessert and share it becasue we are so full....if fact we usually dont even wait on a bus and just pay the taxi to take us back...

Just thinking about stepping UP to get on the bus after a meal like that makes me cringe....take a taxi back :rotfl:

It is a very noisy restaurant these days. There are lots of children there in the evenings for such a "signature" experience. DH and I do not have children and we come to WDW to enjoy great meals. I love seeing children dressed for dinner and enjoying time with their family. However we have dined there a couple fo times with kids running around the table---it didn't make the food taste any less delicious but did get us a comp for dessert. Now don't get me wrong it wasnt/isn't horrible (except for the time we got free dessert--it was that bad) just noticeable.

For us it is a fantastic dinning experience because we do not have places like that where we live without driving 40-50 miles. My BIL loves thier sushi.

Whatever you do, don't hype it up in your head :). ... I went in thinking it was going to be the best ever and was underwhelmed since it's pricey.
This is very good advice for every restaurant in Disney!

:) We eat there at least twice on our trips becasue it is just so delicious. DH and I usually get a flat bread to share. I have had the goat cheese ravioli and it is very good for an appetizer. We have only gotten the Filet--it is so fantastic and melt in your mouth good that we just can't tear ourselves away from it. They have a wonderful bread basket, too. We also usually get the banana foster type dessert and share it becasue we are so full....if fact we usually dont even wait on a bus and just pay the taxi to take us back...

Just thinking about stepping UP to get on the bus after a meal like that makes me cringe....take a taxi back :rotfl:

It is a very noisy restaurant these days. There are lots of children there in the evenings for such a "signature" experience. DH and I do not have children and we come to WDW to enjoy great meals. I love seeing children dressed for dinner and enjoying time with their family. However we have dined there a couple fo times with kids running around the table---it didn't make the food taste any less delicious but did get us a comp for dessert. Now don't get me wrong it wasnt/isn't horrible (except for the time we got free dessert--it was that bad) just noticeable.

For us it is a fantastic dinning experience because we do not have places like that where we live without driving 40-50 miles. My BIL loves thier sushi.

OK.. the last paragraph gets you a pass!:)

Because sadly going to "WDW to enjoy great meals" is just not really that possible anymore IMHO.

I am lucky enough to live in a big city and to get to travel to a lot of good places on business and one of the things that most of us need to realize is that we can eat better at home for less money. Once you kind of accept that then you can rank the Disney resturants on "quality at Disney" and using that standard this one ranks very high!

OK.. the last paragraph gets you a pass!:)

Because sadly going to "WDW to enjoy great meals" is just not really that possible anymore IMHO.

I am lucky enough to live in a big city and to get to travel to a lot of good places on business and one of the things that most of us need to realize is that we can eat better at home for less money. Once you kind of accept that then you can rank the Disney resturants on "quality at Disney" and using that standard this one ranks very high!

I have had meals at Disney that have ranked up there as some of the best meals I have ever had. That includes some amazing meals in New York, Chicago, and Paris.

So yes, you can go to Disney to enjoy great meals.

Re: the sushi, I want to add that we're from NYC, which has some really amazing sushi restaurants, AND my sister lived in Japan for 3 years, near the sea, and had fresh sushi every day, and she STILL says the sushi at CG is great.

I ordered the exact same thing at Cali Grill and loved it!!! My DS also had the steak and said it was the best he's ever had. Its truly delish. The flat bread was amazing too. For dessert instead of the banana caramel, i ordered the seasonal berry cobbler with vanilla bean icecream. OMG heaven! I highly recommend it. Cafeen, I have to ask, what camera do you use? your pics are incredible!!!!

I've only eaten there once and it was very good. Had some sort of flatbread, the filet, and the caramel-banana dessert. Very very tasty on all counts.

View from my table...
IMG_2065_small.jpg

Nomnomnomnom
IMG_2067_small.jpg

IMG_2070_small.jpg

IMG_2074_small.jpg

The one recommendation I have, is to not miss out on the observation deck. While it'll be dark when you're done, the view is quite amazing...

IMG_2080_small.jpg

IMG_2086_small.jpg

View from my table...
IMG_2065_small.jpg

Nomnomnomnom
IMG_2067_small.jpg

IMG_2070_small.jpg

IMG_2074_small.jpg

IMG_2080_small.jpg

IMG_2086_small.jpg

Wow - great pictures!! I must remember to check out the observation deck! I can't remember the exact time of our ADR. I think it's 7:40 or something around there, so we might need to head over early to check it out before dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter