California Grill at 9:15 pm??

maggiew

DIS Veteran
I just made an ADR for California Grill at 9:15 pm for the last week of August. I asked my family what was their one restaurant they wanted to go to and my DH said California Grill.

This would be on our second MK day, so theoretically we would have already seen Wishes.

Wishes is at 10 pm.

It will be me, DH, DD23 and DD20. So we have no problem eating at 9:15 pm. Actually we often eat this late after going to a park (e.g. eat at Kimonos after EPCOT Illuminations.)

We've been to WDW several times and California Grill several times.

I'm just wondering what I should realistically expect about being able to see Wishes. I assume we are going to have to go out on the patio to watch. But the timing seems weird with a 9:15 pm ADR. I imagine we might actually be seated by 9:30 pm. Then order. Then go out and watch Wishes. Then come back to the table and the meal??

I am going to continue to try to get an earlier ADR, but if I can't, what has been other people's experience.

Maggie

Yes, you will probably have to see it on the patio. The servers know how to handle your meal while you go to watch Wishes. We've done it twice with no problems. They usually hold the next course until you return.

A 9:15 ADR is perfect for seeing Wishes from the California Grill. As the PP said, your server will time everything for your meal. It was great to be able to get our wine and drinks then go outside and watch Wishes. Our server timed our meal perfectly. We had our drinks and appetizers served, went out and watched Wishes and when we returned our entrees were brought out perfectly hot. That meal was the highlight of our trip.

My experience also--from 20+ dinners at CG.

The servers are well used to timing things with respect to Wishes.

My family will be going to CA Grill a few times our next trip. We have done it to see the fireworks many times and we always try to d a 9 or 9:15 reservation. When we do 9 PM I have noticed that we usually eat our appetizer and after the server will ask if we want to continue serving like they always do. If we want to go to the patio to see the fire works usually when we come back to our table, within 10 minutes we have are entrees. Now another option you have, which I am sure you know about since you have been to CA Grill. But just in case, if you do happen to get a good table, you could tell you server to continue serving you, and you can stay at your table and watch Wishes from there because the music is also played inside the restaurant.

So I think you should be good with a 9:15 reservation especially if you are fine with eating that late like my family is. You could do earlier if you want, but I wouldn't go earlier than 8:30 if you want to see the fireworks during the meal.

My family will be going to CA Grill a few times our next trip. We have done it to see the fireworks many times and we always try to d a 9 or 9:15 reservation. When we do 9 PM I have noticed that we usually eat our appetizer and after the server will ask if we want to continue serving like they always do. If we want to go to the patio to see the fire works usually when we come back to our table, within 10 minutes we have are entrees. Now another option you have, which I am sure you know about since you have been to CA Grill.

About what time do people start moving out onto the patio?

I just snagged a 9:10 a few days ago. It is late for us to have a big meal. If we tip well is it tacky to just have apps and dessert?

Edit: Just got off the phone with the family. I guess everyone has agreed to a full meal. So confusing!

Last edited:
About what time do people start moving out onto the patio?

I just snagged a 9:10 a few days ago. It is late for us to have a big meal. If we tip well is it tacky to just have apps and dessert?

Edit: Just got off the phone with the family. I guess everyone has agreed to a full meal. So confusing!

People are always out on the patio because it is a great view and they like to take pictures above the MK and stuff like that. But for the fireworks people probably move out there 15-20 minutes before the show. Your server will ask you if you want to continue the meal or go out and watch Wishes. They will show you how to get out there and everything if needed. A 9:10 PM reservation should be perfect, and I don't think if you just got apps and dessert it would be bad. However, everything there tastes amazing so if you do decide to do entrees you would not be disappointed in any way.

Also, just so you know if you are worried about space on the patios to watch the show don't be. There are 4 massive patios, however you can only see all of Wishes from 3 of them. I have never seen all 3 completely full and I have been there 20 or more times. I hope you enjoy it. It is my favorite restaurant in the world, not just WDW.

as long as you plan on going out to watch the fireworks in the middle of dinner, then come back in you won't feel rushed and should be fine.

The food is so extraordinary there you may just bag the fireworks. We have a 9:05 pm for our anniversary on a night MK is on evening EMH. It's going to be a long night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter