• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Grill and somewhat picky eater

Haygar2

DIS Veteran
I really want to go to California Grill. I know my 13 year old son would love the sushi. It's his favorite food. I know his pickier 17 year old sister will get the filet. The problem is, I know she won't go for the sides. At one time, I think they served mac n cheese. I don't think they do any longer. We will be on the DDP, however we will pay for this one out of pocket. It doesn't seem like a good use of 2 credits, so I we would not use it here. Will it even be worth going? Will I be able to find something else for her to eat with her steak?

I have never had a problem getting a signature restaurant to simplify a dinner for my daughter. She loves steak, so typically I'll ask them to do it with no sauce, a starchy side and a plain vegetable. Look at what else is on the menu to find if there's mashed potatoes or mac n cheese (kids menu). Trust me, they've heard it all and will do it.

Just don't expect them to make something they don't have at all elsewhere on the menu.

Not to be a smart *** but if there is no side she likes so what? She can slways have a salad before. Or there are lots of great appetizers. Maybe she has a couple of those instead of an entree. I'm guilty of it too sometimes...way overthink what my kids like or don't like. Enjoy calli grill.,,it's a great place. And try the saki martini. Fabulous!

Take a look at the rest of the menu. If she doesn't like the sides for the filet you can usually sub it with the side from another entree. If none of those appeal, look at the kids' menu where mac and cheese is currently on the menu. If this is for the trip a year from now, there's no way of knowing what will be on the menu, especially at sigs where there are more frequent changes to the menu. If there's absolutely nothing on the menu that appeals, there's always dessert and plenty of snacks at other places. :)

I'll take your son, and raise my daughter in law :). If it's not a corn dog? She will look askance at it :).

Yet - she LOVED the California Grill offerings :). Seriously - it's a GREAT Restaurant.... even if something is not "quite" on the menu? If they have it, they'll fake it :). We haven't tried to get a squid burger yet... but I'm betting they would make a valiant attempt :).

Take a look at the rest of the menu. If she doesn't like the sides for the filet you can usually sub it with the side from another entree. If none of those appeal, look at the kids' menu where mac and cheese is currently on the menu.

Totally agree. She can substitute ANY side that is currently (when you go) on ANY menu (when you go). There's currently lo mein noodles and also applesauce as sides for other dishes. Also mushrooms, whipped potatoes, roasted potatoes, carrots, spinach, brussel sprouts, and beets. On the kid's dinner menu, there is a fruit kabob and also sweet potatoes.

I think we had them sub mashed potatoes once for my daughter. We've had wonderful service at Cali Grill. I would be really surprised if they didn't work with you.

Another thing we have done with my daughter is to have her at least try the sides that come with the filet. We did that last trip at Hollywood Brown Derby. I don't think she loved the sides (although they were delicious), but I was glad she at least tried them. You know, you can easily fill up on bread at those meals, and then we did order dessert, so no one left hungry.

Take a look at the rest of the menu. If she doesn't like the sides for the filet you can usually sub it with the side from another entree. If none of those appeal, look at the kids' menu where mac and cheese is currently on the menu. If this is for the trip a year from now, there's no way of knowing what will be on the menu, especially at sigs where there are more frequent changes to the menu. If there's absolutely nothing on the menu that appeals, there's always dessert and plenty of snacks at other places. :)
Thanks. My ticker will be changing soon. I think we are moving our trip up to the beginning of June.
Totally agree. She can substitute ANY side that is currently (when you go) on ANY menu (when you go). There's currently lo mein noodles and also applesauce as sides for other dishes. Also mushrooms, whipped potatoes, roasted potatoes, carrots, spinach, brussel sprouts, and beets. On the kid's dinner menu, there is a fruit kabob and also sweet potatoes.

EXCELLENT! She loves lo mein noodles. She is not a mashed potato eater (weird child) but will eat a loaded baked potato (which I know they don't have). She would also eat the fruit. This is great info. Now onto getting the trip finalized and then focus on the ADRs. We did change our dates from September to Early June. I went from making ADRs in March to now I will be doing them in early December.

The flatbread appetizers are a great substitute

So long as she isn't asking for something that isn't on the menu, they really shouldn't have an issue accommodating her. I'm a picky eater as well and Disney is the only place I feel comfortable asking for stuff to be taken off or for substitutions. Anywhere else, I just feel bad asking.

So long as she isn't asking for something that isn't on the menu, they really shouldn't have an issue accommodating her. I'm a picky eater as well and Disney is the only place I feel comfortable asking for stuff to be taken off or for substitutions. Anywhere else, I just feel bad asking.

Heh - my husband was the opposite. Once he realized Disney let him substitute sides and leave off sauces, etc., he now does it everywhere. He even asks if, in his salad, the tomatoes will be cut up and if told yes, he asks for them to be left off entirely since he can't easily take them out of the salad. He has never been told no on any of his requests at any restaurant.

The flatbread appetizers are a great substitute
Unfortunately, you cannot substitute a flatbread for an entree side because the flatbreads have a separate price point so they would have to be paid for OOP. You can only substitute a side that is already listed as part of another entree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter