• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Dazzling: A Roadtrip Vacation Spectacular - Last Update and Final Thoughts 11/8

And the best thing was that we would be able to share the experience with some of our friends and brought Thing 2, Alison and Michael’s brother along as well.

It was greatfun sharing that day with you all!

Considering that normally those tour guides are a very expensive perk, I was really surprised how someone would just let the tour guide wait! But she said that this was not uncommon…

I am very surprised that people do that.

If you can afford the guide, the you likely can afford to waste the experience of having them.

But then again when you point this out I can only roll my eyes as it is so true.

Once I told Michael about my idea, he suddenly was all for coming along!! And Thing 2 and Michael’s brother thought it was a great idea, too!

What a great idea! I've only been there for lunch, but it's one of my favorites. Heck so many places there are favorites!

However, they were really nice and thick, not the flimsy typical Disney bacon. This was some delicious bacon!!

I never understood the bad rap that Disney bacon gets, but that's because it isn't bad out here. I've heard so many folks who know WDW bacon and order it at DL and are pleasantly surprised.

And then in the end they did not charge me for it, which was nice.

Free bacon? Even better!

That Genie is widely considered to be one of the top two according to Iago's friend.

I'm pretty sure I know which one is the other good one. The cast we saw is not the cast I normally see. We did the 2PM show and usually I see the one in the 4PM hour.

I got a meal with ribs, which was delicious and Michael had a beef sandwich. I totally failed at taking pictures before I started eating. Sorry!!

I had been holding off replying as we had this exact same meal a little over a week ago and I wanted to post pictures for you, but I have to be able to reply from my computer to do that. I finally gave up on the computer in an effort to not fall woefully behind. Plus I need to wrap up my current TRS before I leave this weekend. But I don't want to keep posting on my TR without replying to others!

We ended that day with a ride on Space Mountain where Alison and I rocked the front row!

Again I would love to post the redneck photo but not sure I could crop it properly on my phone to remove the camera shy individuals!

I know that Thing 2 got a child's meal fried chicken dinner from the Plaza Inn as this is his favourite snack. Not sure about the others.

I am glad to know about this as it looked like the perfect portion. I passed on overpriced Disney food since I would be heading home and could pick something up in a drive thru.

Alison and I waited for quite a bit for the crowds to clear and then said goodbye for now somewhere on Main Street.

The after fireworks crowds are crazy, and with the walkways at Disneyland being so much smaller and more congested than WDW, waiting for the crowds to thin is the only sane option.

it really was not necessary to get the room cleaned three days in a row.

That's so weird how that happened. I never miss the housekeeping when we're staying in DVC. I kind of like it that no one comes in the room.

I was really surprised how busy the hallways were with people starting to get ready for their park days! At WDW I always had the impression that the hotel was really empty when we had an early start for rope drop.

Californians tend to be early risers (myself not really included). I'm always amazed at how many people are up jogging, walking, at the gym and so forth and this is not at Disney. Add on EMH and these overachievers are really up early!

It was actually a plain white towel with neat Mickey heads woven into the border on th

We have those!

nothing in the world can convince me that spinach or even worse: kale is a good addition to an otherwise delicious smoothie!!

I agree with you completely!

But getting up there required multiple freeways (think we used four or five, two being the 605 and the 210. which meant going way out of the way to ac

No wonder it took you so long!

As any SoCal resident will tell you, UNI is on the border of the San Fernando Valley and it is always a good 5-15 degrees hotter once 'over the hill' ...

Actually technically you "go over the hill" from the Valley to get to the cooler weather. When I worked in the valley, my temperature gauge dropped 30° in the course of driving home as Long Beach is that much nicer!

And this is where you will find Hogsmeade soon:

Very cool!

And then you are in Springfield

Wow! So much has changed since I was there over 15 years ago.

Our first destination was the Studio Tour which takes you on trams through the real backlo

Even this has changed a bunch!

The whole being a volunteer thing was over so quickly! I am normally not someone who has spent a lot of time on stages, so this was a new experience for me. But it was definitely a lot of fun!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not one to volunteer for things like that and I have quite a bit of experience on stage!

By now it was dark and during this summer they offered special Night Tours of the Studio Tour. So we went there to experience this special offering. I

That sounds pretty cool.

So we noticed the place in the strip center (near Subway, which would have been a bland but open choice) and thought we'd give it try. The pizza was fine and the prices reasonable. But it was in no way a place you'd describe as memorable or particularly tasty. I'd eat there again in a pinch.

I've heard nothing but good reviews of Pizza Press and at first that's the place I thought you were talking about, but then I realized that you went elsewhere. Sorry it wasn't good.

The trip was really feeling like a commando job at this point, but thankfully we slowed the pace down as we went forward!

I hope so because I'm getting tired just reading about your exploits.

What a fabulous day at Universal. I was excited looking at M the movie star!!!!
And fantastic to see Hogwarts take shape.

BTW - Is it bad to admit that I just put some kale in my garden. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

That is really interesting. Maybe I have to drum up the courage to try this the next time I am there.

You can at least do the library scene at ToT in Paris. That is in French already. I also think that ToT at Paris has fantastic CMs. Just like my CM experiences at Phantom Manor. They seem to get really into the spirit of the attractions!

That is if I can get him in the park in the first place.

One day hopefully!!

I was really surprised by this area, but we only walked through. We had Chrissy as well.

I got the impression that Chrissy is the regular trainer for this.

The towel I got was not half as nice. It is kind of a cross between a towel and a scarf with Membership Magic printed on it.

I was expecting more something like that. I have gotten free fitness towels before, like as a welcome present for a new gym. And they were always tiny and more designed to just have something to wipe your sweat into while training than be used as a proper towel. I guess it took them some time to finally get the ones they ordered as the whole program was still rather new in August.

This sounded like a very, long busy and exhausting day, but also a lot of fun.

Lots of fun!!

Universal Studios Hollywood has changed a lot since we last were there, but I am glad that they still have the tram tour. That was easily the highlight for me. The night tour sounds great, too.

The tram tour is truly what makes this park great! I can easily see myself going back because of the tram tour. Well, and maybe the Harry Potter stuff...

You were brave to volunteer for the show. I have done a fair bit of amateur dramatics and have plenty of public speaking experience, but I would not dare volunteer in a show like this.

I have come to the conclusion that half the people who volunteer are not really good at it. And since the chances that anyone in the audience will ever know me, I figure it really does not matter what they think of me. In the past, my travel mates (and by that I am talking about @nodnol) often were horrified by the idea of me volunteering. So, it was nice to actually be there with someone who encouraged me. And it does help that I have a job that involves a fair deal of public speaking. It definitely was great fun and I intend to volunteer again if the occasion arises!

WOw! I had a TON of catching up to do for sure. I've read most of the latest updates and am loving all of the touring you got in. You made some serious damage to those parks, Girl! In all my years of living in SoCal, I never stepped foot inside Universal. Hmm.... maybe I need to remedy that.

What a great day with the tour guide . That breakfast looked great, I would have had the eggs benedict though , I just love them.

It was a great day - and I was tempted to get eggs benedict, too. I love them as well, but thought I should pick something more healthy...

Wow Michael got up for breakfast , good for him , BUT I didn't see another part of him in those updates we have seen a foot , a leg any I have missed:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am afraid that I don't have more body part pictures of him... Sorry!!!

Yes it is a slower time now but .....

A pretty small construction project around the pool started as soon as I got back.
We are in the midst of a re-organization at Park and Recreation where people are just being moved all over. I get to stay but everyone around me is moving and even though I am staying at my site, my duties are changing somewhat and now I have a full time and a regular part time to manage along with all my other part timers. Both these Ladies require training and oversight that is welcome since they will help with my work load but can take a while to develop. I am Lucky as both these ladies are quick learners and hard workers, the only problem is when they want to do something their permissions do not allow yet or they want to move faster than the " County " will allow and patience is just not there yet. :rolleyes:

I hope those two ladies will be soon fully trained! I am happy to hear that finally someone saw some sense that you were doing the job of multiple people!

I am with you on that one. Kale :crazy2:

I just don't get the current fascination with it!! Here in Germany they even market it under the English name Kale instead of the old German name Grünkohl - and suddenly people who would never dare to eat any Grünkohl go out and buy expensive kale smoothies.

That DVC exercise looks great- it might actually get me to go. :rotfl2: Then again, being up that early on vacation might be crazy.... yes that was for you Michael.:goodvibes

I must admit that I felt a slightly bit crazy... But it was well worth it!

Your day at USH look nice. Glad Michael could find a cheap cap to keep his head from sunburn and his body from complete dehydration.

USH is really interesting, so much movie history.

Being King Kong's girlfriend looked like fun. You sure put in a long day at USH.

I think I got a taste for volunteering now! And USH seemed long but since it is so compact, it did not feel as tiring as Disneyland would have been.

Our last jaunt to DL we stayed offsite since it was one night and we decided kind of late that we would even venture up to Anaheim. We could not stay away from DL 60th. We ended up at Tiffy's and it was okay. We had dinner before going into the Halloween party and then breakfast the next morning before heading back to SD. The dinner was uneventful but breakfast came with a floor show. :rotfl2:

I absolutely understand the need to visit for the 60th! I hope you found it worth it! And the floor show sounds interesting, some pole dancing old ladies???

I hope you are able to slow up a bit and relax. :thumbsup2

I guess I slowed down far too much over the last month...

Great update about Universal Studios in Ca . I don't think they have the tour you took there , wish they did !!

The tour is fantastic. But that is because it is through the actual studio where so many films were made. That is something that cannot be recreated.

Yeah for you being picked . I lucked out this year at Universal and did NOT get picked , but 2 out of 3 times I've been I have been Muther Nature !!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think you just appear to be the perfect volunteer: always ready to have some fun and being able to laugh about oneself!

Man, you guys have all the connections.

Not all, but a few. And we were lucky that they all fell into place.

Whew. All's well that ends well.

It did not end well for the pig that became bacon though...

Boo. Not everything needs to tie into Frozen.

I agree. However, I think Disney should change out its shows on a regular basis to offer new entertainment (for example, I think that it is high time for a new fireworks show for the Magic Kingdom and can't wait to see Wishes replaced). The sad thing is that they leave other stuff untouched but change the one show that is really fabulous!

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I would love to have seen this show. Oh well. Maybe I can catch the Broadway version.

You should! They are actually playing Aladdin in Hamburg here in Germany and we are seriously thinking of trying to see it.

For taking it easy, you all covered quite a bit of ground!

That was the beauty of the tour guide. No stress but getting lots of stuff done!

Uh oh. I can see where that one wouldn't feel very comfortable.

These subs are just not for me.

Wow, that sounds perfect. I'm afraid you guys aren't going to be able to have any normal experiences again after all of this VIP treatment!

While I loved all those extras, they really are not necessary for a great time in the parks. I feel very lucky for how this trip turned out, but I would have loved it without all those extras as well!

I'd amend that to say it's ok to get up with the sun, or before it, if you have a chance to see something special or need to avoid traffic/crowds. Crazy people get up with the sun, or before it, just to exercise. :rotfl2::rotfl:

I won't disagree with you there. But someone else would... :rolleyes1

Bravo! Thank you! I will stand with you in defiance of this trend.

We can unite with @Poolrat in our defiance of kale!

Hmm...if you'd only gotten up with the sun, or before it...:rotfl:

I am no experts, but I have been told that the crazy thing about LA traffic is that you never know when it will pop up.

Not exactly. It has a sister chain in the rest of the U.S. called Hardee's. Same logo and menu. I don't know why it has 2 different names.

Interesting! I need to remember that. I came to rather like Carl's Jr.

If it's a fast-food burger, you'll be hard-pressed to find many "natural" things about it!

I guess so... That is sad.

:woohoo: That's it, I'm traveling with you guys from now on.

:goodvibes

Makes sense...it probably coincides with the height requirements on the rides.

With the exception of the tram tour and the Super Silly Fun Land you are most likely right.

:scared1: Maybe it got too close to the Jurassic Park set!

:rotfl2:I think it was King Kong though....

You guys and the VIP stuff. If you get VIP bathrooms in the National Parks I'm really going to get upset.

The VIP studios tours at Paramount and Warner Brothers are actually not really VIP. They are just extended tours, pricier of course, that cover far more than the normal studio tours. They sound amazing as you get to get pretty close to a lot of stuff and get to see how movies are being made.

Oooh, I think I'd have a lot of fun with that.

For a Simpsons fan there is so much fun to look at at Springfield! It is really great!!

That place looks creepy!

Have you seen Despicable Me? It is a pretty fun place, not really creepy.

That's a blessing! That movie was pretty terrible.

I remember a lot of my friends really wanting to see it because it had Kevin Costner and after Dancing with Wolves they all loved him. I did not, so I did not see Waterworld. And was told afterwards how smart I had been! Very proud of myself!

:woohoo: for pyrotechnics!

:thumbsup2

It was greatfun sharing that day with you all!

I can say the same about sharing the day with you! :goodvibes

I am very surprised that people do that.

I was totally surprised that they let the poor tour guide wait like that...

But then again when you point this out I can only roll my eyes as it is so true.

Besides just wasting the money on the tour guide, I still find it incredibly rude.

What a great idea! I've only been there for lunch, but it's one of my favorites. Heck so many places there are favorites!

I find it amazing that after two trips I seem to have more favorites with Disneyland restaurants than with WDW ones...

I never understood the bad rap that Disney bacon gets, but that's because it isn't bad out here. I've heard so many folks who know WDW bacon and order it at DL and are pleasantly surprised.

Yes, DL bacon and WDW bacon seem to not have yet fallen under the "One Disney initiative" where napkins become generic and shopping bags just say "Disney Parks". And that is a very good thing!!

Free bacon? Even better!

:thumbsup2

I'm pretty sure I know which one is the other good one. The cast we saw is not the cast I normally see. We did the 2PM show and usually I see the one in the 4PM hour.

Interesting.

I had been holding off replying as we had this exact same meal a little over a week ago and I wanted to post pictures for you, but I have to be able to reply from my computer to do that. I finally gave up on the computer in an effort to not fall woefully behind. Plus I need to wrap up my current TRS before I leave this weekend. But I don't want to keep posting on my TR without replying to others!

Don't worry about not posting pictures and not replying. I totally understand, I know how busy you are currently!! And I never take it personally when DISers suddenly turn quiet. I know that we all have a life away from the DIS that is ultimately far more important than this virtual world. :goodvibes

I am glad to know about this as it looked like the perfect portion. I passed on overpriced Disney food since I would be heading home and could pick something up in a drive thru.

I find Disney child meals often a very good compromise, IF it is a decent offer. For example I love the kids meal breakfast Mickey waffles a lot of resort counter services offer. Perfect breakfast portion for me!

The after fireworks crowds are crazy, and with the walkways at Disneyland being so much smaller and more congested than WDW, waiting for the crowds to thin is the only sane option.

Even at DLP with the nice large arcades the exiting of the park is totally crazy. Waiting is always the best option.

That's so weird how that happened. I never miss the housekeeping when we're staying in DVC. I kind of like it that no one comes in the room.

I know, many people say they like that aspect. I love being pampered and get my bed made every day!

Californians tend to be early risers (myself not really included). I'm always amazed at how many people are up jogging, walking, at the gym and so forth and this is not at Disney. Add on EMH and these overachievers are really up early!

I have recently started running in the mornings and am surprised how many people are out and about here in Germany as well...

We have those!

The towel was really nice! I can see that someone would use those as regular towels at home.

I agree with you completely!

Another member of the anti-kale-league!! Great!!

No wonder it took you so long!

All those roads could be Chinese to me, but obviously to you they make sense. But the whole traffic thing is really off putting to me if I would consider moving to California. More so than the earth quakes...

Actually technically you "go over the hill" from the Valley to get to the cooler weather. When I worked in the valley, my temperature gauge dropped 30° in the course of driving home as Long Beach is that much nicer!

Crazy how much of a difference the ocean makes!

Wow! So much has changed since I was there over 15 years ago.

You should go back! Lots to see there! Especially once Potter opens.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not one to volunteer for things like that and I have quite a bit of experience on stage!

I think I got a taste for volunteering. Somehow over the recent years I have learned to not really care what strangers think of me, so I am no longer afraid of making a fool of myself.

That sounds pretty cool.

The night tour was special and one of the things that made me happy that we had decided to travel during the high season. Sometimes I was a bit frustrated as everything was rather crowded. But we got special events that we would not have been able to take part in otherwise, like the night tour.

I've heard nothing but good reviews of Pizza Press and at first that's the place I thought you were talking about, but then I realized that you went elsewhere. Sorry it wasn't good.

Pizza Press must be really good. I could go for some pizza now... popcorn:: (not pizza, but starts with a p as well.)

I hope so because I'm getting tired just reading about your exploits.

I think it sounds more strenuous than it was: I am not writing a lot about our down times...

What a fabulous day at Universal. I was excited looking at M the movie star!!!!

Thanks!! And it was a great day! I really enjoyed the park.

And fantastic to see Hogwarts take shape.

Not long now. I am excited that it will be a 3D version. I think this will be a great upgrade to the ride.

BTW - Is it bad to admit that I just put some kale in my garden. Bwa ha ha ha ha.

:rotfl2:

WOw! I had a TON of catching up to do for sure. I've read most of the latest updates and am loving all of the touring you got in. You made some serious damage to those parks, Girl! In all my years of living in SoCal, I never stepped foot inside Universal. Hmm.... maybe I need to remedy that.

I know all about having a ton of catching up to do... And I really enjoyed Universal! Have you seen any of the other movie studios? I think at least seeing one of them is definitely worth it!

Do we really want to miss the fireworks? - Part 1

August 12: "Last" Park Day including Mickey’s Wheel of Horror and ONE evening show, Offsite Dinner

Yes, today was going to be our last day at Disneyland. Our first week was already coming to an end. But there was still so much to look forward to.

Yes. And I was getting excited about getting on the road, but also wanted to enjoy the last three days.

Even though this was our last day at the parks, we still started the day slowly with a nice morning at the pool – at least I did, I am not sure if Michael joined me or not.

How soon they forget. And, yes, he certainly did!

IMG_1612.jpg

Today was the first morning where it was sunny early on and not overcast like the previous days. I really enjoyed my pool time with the lovely sun and nearly no one else around. Mornings are really beautiful at the GCH pools.

Around lunch time we finally headed into DCA with Thing 2 and Michael’s brother. Thing 2 and I had the goal of riding GRR again and went to get a FP for later.

Prior to this, I had to make a run down to the Anaheim Hilton as Thing 2 was moving there for the rest of the week/weekend for D23.

DSC09243.jpg

DSC09244.jpg

Then we headed to lunch and somehow ended up at the Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta place. I rather enjoyed walking through the Paradise Pier section of DCA and got some pictures:

DSC09231.jpg

DSC09232.jpg

We got a bunch of different dishes. Someone had the Italian Chef Salad - Salami, Capocollo, fresh Mozzarella, Pepperoncini, Roasted Red Peppers, Marinated Olives, Cucumbers, Tomatoes and fresh Greens with a Red Wine Vinaigrette.

I did. But it wasn't overly memorable. In hindsight, I would have rather had something else ... not to give the impression it was bad. It wasn't. I've just had enough meals at this location.

DSC09233.jpg

Someone had pasta: Chicken Sun-dried Tomato Pesto - Campanelle Pasta tossed with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Cream:

DSC09234.jpg

And the third option was: Boadwalk Field Greens featuring Ocean Spray® Craisins® Brand - fresh Greens topped with Tomatoes, Blue Cheese, Cucumbers, Craisins® Dried Cranberries, Caramelized Pecans and Golden Raisins with a Basil Vinaigrette:

DSC09235.jpg

I am really not sure what was my food. I know Michael will be shocked that I can forget food. And I still remember that I liked my food, whatever it was. I think I had the last one because that sounds the best to me now. But who knows what my mood was like then...

The whole area around this restaurant is really beautiful and there is a second counter service restaurant close by. This is a picture of the seating area:

DSC09236.jpg

After lunch we split up.

OK, so you may have heard me make mention of a diaper issue at the Grand Cali jacuzzi earlier in this report. First, it wasn't mine as I stopped wearings diapers when I turned 11 and just returned to the adult version when I hit 40! Too much info for our readers and friends, M?

This is something that I didn't actually experience, but have seen the photographic evidence and it would be enough for a conviction for classless behavior and improper disposal of potential bio-hazzards. As M said, we all sorta went our own ways Wednesday afternoon. My brother returned to our villa to relax and do laundry as he was flying back east the next day. While the laundry was on, he went down to the pool.
In case someone thinks he was at the pool illegally: We had added him to our reservation, so he was an official guest at GCV! A large family was taking a soak in the large DVC jacuzzi and the youngest members of the party were diaper dandies. Two of them.

The folks, BTW, were not DVC members, but hotel guests from Northern California. They were talking to DVCers from Long Island, which is how that factoid came to be known.

Now, allow me to rant ... babies and young children who are not toilet trained have no business -- NONE -- being in a hot tub or a swimming pool, for that matter. They flat out don't. For years I have been witness at WDW resorts to 'brownouts' where a pool has to be closed, sometimes for hours, because someone's child defecated in the pool (ah, the things Stacey doesn't talk about on WDW Resort TV!) I have never witnessed this in decades of traveling globally anywhere. What that says about some of the demos WDW attracts is a different matter. But back to the story. When my brother realized there was a child in the water carrying a full load, he got out. What he witnessed was TWO diapers being changed and then tossed not in the trash (bad enough), but left behind a lounge chair. A very nasty surprise to anyone who found the presents.

Now, I would have gone down to the front desk and there would have been some pointed comments made and I am sure Disney would have comped us something to make me leave. They won't change their policy, however or enforce what they now have. A 22-year-old lifeguard from Artesia just isn't putting his/her job on the line by confronting a Guest. But my dear brother was not really a Guest, even if he was on our reservation, and had no desire to deal with it. He brought it to my attention a few weeks after I had returned in September. ... so, now, you know the rest of the story. ... I have no use for people like this, None. They are sending a message to every other person they come in contact with and it's not a good one.

The whole diaper behind the lounge chair does indeed sound really bad. I am glad that we did not know about it during the next day of our trip... While I do not totally agree with Michael's assessment of babies and pools, I have often wondered about why Disney pools seem to get closed for such incidents so much more regularly than any other pool I ever visited...

Thing 2 and I went to explore DCA some more. I had some catching up to do as there were some rides that I had never been on and that I wanted to try.

Not the Jumping Jellyfish:

DSC09238.jpg

Those I have been on in the past.

Some more pictures of Paradise Pier:

DSC09241.jpg

DSC09240.jpg

First up was the Golden Zephyr. When we were at DCA in 2005 my friend and I were totally scared by it as it looked like you could so easily fall out. And what if the chain would break, would you fly out into the lake with your shiny cigar??

DSC09246.jpg

And this one confirms that my camera was on the ride itself:

DSC09247.jpg

I was, too. And it really was not a big deal at all. It is a very mild ride and not scary at all. No idea why it freaked us out in 2005…

We walked to Toy Story Midway Mania in the hope of finding a short enough line, but really could not be bothered to wait.

DSC09249.jpg

But we used the conveniently located restroom just behind it where I found fancy Dolphin tiles. I thought they were really pretty. However, those were the only good thing about this restroom. Otherwise it was really not nice at all…

Continued in Part 2

Do we really want to miss the fireworks? - Part 2

And then we went to the big main attraction of the afternoon. The reason why Thing 2 and I were hanging out at DCA: Mickey’s FUN Wheel. Some people like to give it different names as they don’t think it is fun. My boyfriend is one of them. So, I was very grateful that Thing 2 was willing to come along for a ride in the infamous swinging gondolas.

I can go on almost anything. Coasters with eight inversions don't bother. Other intense rides don't either. But I've only done the Fun Wheel once with swinging, I love the stationary ride for the amazing views of the mountains and Angels Stadium and Crystal Cathedral etc. The one time I was talked into doing it in 2012 ... well, let's just say I was very wise to not have eaten a thing before riding. It would not have been pretty.

DSC09254.jpg

Thing 2 asked me whether I wanted the left or the right side. When you line up for it, the line for the non-swinging gondolas comes from one side to the wheel, the one for swinging form the other. When you get closer to the wheel, the swinging gondola line splits up as they always load three gondolas simultaneously. The one in the middle is non-swinging, the outer two are swinging. We first thought to take the right line as there was more shade, but then the left line was shorter and this was a very slow moving line, so we went on that side. After our trip, Thing 2 informed me that due to the way the wheel is constructed, the left side gets a little less motion (yes, another one of those things he knows…). That’s why he prefers the right side. But I thought it would be a good tip to pass on for anyone who is not so sure about this. Pick the left side and get a slightly milder ride.

Well, I was not so sure myself as I do have issues with motion sickness. But I can usually control it quite well by focusing on the right things. I thought one spin on a wheel really can’t be too bad. We were loaded into a gondola with a couple and their 18 month old daughter who was so cute! Thing 2 was wearing one of those Pixar Hawaiian shirts and she fell in love with his shirt and kept pointing out the different characters on it. So, it all started really nice. And then the swinging started. After an initial shock I realized that it was not too bad at all. Yes, I kept trying to hold on to the cage we were sitting in. But otherwise, I really was ok. Also, we only moved a bit at first as the next three gondolas were getting loaded.

DSC09255.jpg

DSC09258.jpg

I really enjoyed the view from the top:

DSC09262.jpg

And I was even able to smile for a picture:

DSC09263.jpg

Once everyone was loaded the wheel started to move – and that is where it got scary briefly. At some point I briefly closed my eyes and just focused on the motion. The motion was not bad at all, it was the moving downwards without knowing when it will stop that was scary. But once I closed my eyes I was fine. And when I opened them again we were already halfway down and it was not bad anymore at all. So, I really enjoyed it. There was a thrill element to it, but it did not freak me out. I never started to feel queasy. And it definitely will go on my list of things I want to do when I am back at DCA!

And you know what – the person who loved the ride the most was the little 18 months old toddler! She kept saying “again!” while we were exiting!

Afterwards we went for a spin on Screamin with the single rider line which worked like a charm!

DSC09265.jpg

And then Thing 2 and I needed a drink – passing some more lovely Paradise Pier theming:

DSC09266.jpg

DSC09268.jpg

And got these lovely drinks:

DSC09269.jpg

Those are margaritas from the stand at the Pacific Wharf food court area. And a huge ice water. The margaritas were really tasty. But I was good and had a lot of ice water first!

I wanted to do some more shopping in Carsland, so we walked over there:

DSC09271.jpg

DSC09273.jpg

DSC09276.jpg

I ended up getting a set of sticky notes:

DSC00722.jpg

We took a spin on Mater’s:

DSC09277.jpg

This is such a fun ride!! It really has some fun action spinning you around. It looks rather plain at first, but the motion is actually not too mild at all and the whole theming is hilarious! As far as I know, this ride will be part of the new Toy Story Playland coming to DHS, but themed to the little Aliens. I wish they had built it at the Paris Toy Story Playland which only has a collection of off the shelf carnival rides. This is at least a little bit out of the box…

We then went to GRR as our FP window opened, but it was down. So, Thing 2 suggested that we go and see the start of the parade which had a fun Inside Out pre-parade float. While waiting for the parade, we also checked out the Wine Country Trattatoria area:

DSC09278.jpg

It really is beautiful there! I would love to have a relaxing evening meal there one day…

[I always enjoyed meals here. It was the favorite locale for lunch for a friend who I used to spend a lot of time at DCA with.]

You even get a great view of Carsland:

DSC09280.jpg

And here are the Inside Out emotions rolling along:

DSC09284.jpg

We quickly rushed to GRR and they had started to cycle boats through! So, we put our stuff into a locker and rushed ot the FP entrance which just opened up when we got there. We ended up in one of the first boats being loaded. And when we got off, Thing 2 asked whether I wanted to go again as a single rider. I was uncertain as it was getting close to the time when I was supposed to meet Michael again in the room. But Thing 2 kind of decided that I wanted to get on again and rushed off – I thought towards the single rider line. It turned out that he only had to get all the way to the entrance to get single rider passes for us and then we walked all the way back through the exit. The exit is the single rider line… That is also why Thing 2 knew that there was no line for single riders… We immediately were loaded onto two different rafts and off we went again! It was so great. This was a perfect day for GRR, it was hot and sunny. I just really love this ride!

When we split up, I had met a friend and we hung out for quite a while talking about Disney and other subjects before he had to take off for an evening game at Dodger Stadium. I wound up riding Soarin again, walking through the Animation Building and Off The Page (two favorites that I usually spend more time in) and riding Monsters: Mike and Sully to the Rescue. I then went to DL ... I know I had plans to ride something, but for whatever reason just wound up spending time at the Disney Gallery on MSUSA and heading back to the Grand.

Thing 2 had other things planned this evening and also the next day, so I said goodbye to him, but he ensured me that we would see each other before we would leave. He was right…

After a quick shower, I was ready to head out for a meal with Michael and his brother to a restaurant that belonged to a chain that they both really like called Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que. They know that I love barbecue and thought that this would be a perfect meal. Unfortunately they were a bit disappointed as the location we went to was a newer one that was a repurposed other restaurant, so it did not have the same atmosphere as the ones that Michael and his brother loved. I had no clue about that and thought it was pretty cool anyway.

This was the hostess stand:

DSC09285.jpg

They served us some delicious warm biscuits at the table at the beginning. These were wonderful! Especially with the sweet butter (I think maple, but my notes just say sweet) that they gave us to go with it.

Michael’s brother had some sort of salad:

DSC09287.jpg

It looked really good and I think he liked it.

I had a hard time deciding, but went with ribs with coleslaw and corn on the cob:

DSC09289.jpg

And Michael got some tri tip:

DSC09290.jpg

The food was really good, but it was not a cheap meal either. Unfortunately we had some issues with our server getting the drink order wrong (bringing out a regular coke instead of a diet coke) and being a bit unfriendly about it and then disappearing for ages when we wanted to pay. All in all, I thought it was a nice experience and I loved the cuisine. But in all the meals of the trip, there were many more that were more outstanding.

The food was fine. The service wasn't. And it was purposeful. And the server was relieved of her job, not having anything to do with us, we later learned. I would have preferred a better all around experience as I love Lucille's and always send people there and it was the last dinner for my brother, M and I on this trip as the bro had to fly back east Thursday afternoon.

Afterwards we headed back into Disneyland. Over dinner we had debated what we wanted to do in the evening. Remember we had those FP for World of Color? Somehow Michael and I really wanted to see the fireworks at Disneyland again, not go and see World of Color with the usual chaos and knowing that most people do not seem to enjoy the new show as much as the old one. So, we decided that we loved the fireworks so much that we would rather see those.

So, we entered once again a very crowded park!

DSC09291.jpg

We decided to head all the way back to Fantasyland to watch Paint the Night one more time and then see the fireworks from the It’s a Small World area. I think you can guess that we enjoyed them very much!!

A friend of mine, who had joined us for dinner at Catal met us after work in time to catch PtN.

Afterwards we thought we would try to get another ride on Alice in Wonderland, but the ride was closed because of the fireworks and it was unclear when it would reopen. So we decided to wait out Peter Pan as that was the one ride that we had not done yet. It was a long, long line still, even though it was getting towards closing time. But there was no point in going anywhere else. So we waited about 35 or 40 minutes…

Actually, we wound up heading to PotC when Alice seemed to be in limbo about opening. Not sure why (I think we were hit by the 'This is our last night at DL and we need to ride things!' stick) but we rushed thru the crowds to get over to NoS and onto Pirates again. Then, we trekked all the way back and got in line for Pan a little after 11:30 with a posted wait of 45 minutes that was pretty accurate. Our longest wait of the trip!

DSC09295.jpg

But the ride is really lovely! And it looks fabulous so fresh out of the refurbishment. I really can’t tell what the upgrades were as I am not that familiar with the Disneyland version. But it looked brand new!

When we got off the ride, the park was officially closed and for us it was time to head back to the hotel. Michael had been talking about wanting to get some ice cream and we thought that he for sure would be able to get it on Main Street, but the ice cream parlor was closed already. Only the shops were open. And Starbucks. I really wanted the Starbucks 60th anniversary mug. But when I saw the massive lines at Starbucks I decided that I did not want it that much!! So, we said goodbye to the park for the last time.

When we got to Downtown Disney I suddenly remembered something and suggested that we try Häägen Dazs for ice cream for Michael. And they were indeed still open!! This cheered up Michael a lot that on his last day in the parks, he finally got some ice cream!

Ah, but in a purposeful spoiler, it turned out to NOT be our final night in the parks after all!

Up Next: Candied Bacon

Back here finally again. I did read the updates, but somehow I never got around to comment.

Okay, the whole diaper story is yuck! What are people thinking???

Your photos are awesome - they make me so excited about our summer trip. And Mickey's wheel of horror made me :rotfl2:as this is the only ride I was REALLY happy to get off and have no desire to ride again. :rotfl:

And all the food you took pics of looks pretty good to me. ::yes::

Ah, and you got another update in while I was still getting my reply done. ;)

So you liked the Wheel of Death. We must have been in the other line then :rotfl2: as we usually ride each and any ride, but this is one I have no desire to go on again.

You packed so much into your day. And rode GRR. Another ride we have yet to get on. It was closed when we were last there.

Nice update with fun photos! I guess I fall into the Pukis-Wheel Camp. I normally don't get motion sickness at all, but felt pretty bad the rest of our day after riding it. I don't know if it was the rocking while going around, or ?? It's nice to take pictures of though, haha!

Your meals look so fabulous! It's pretty hard to screw up ribs and BBQ- one of my all-time favorite food groups. :)

Babies and poo pants. BLECH! We were always pretty careful and put our kids on diapers specifically made for swimming, and they were never in there long enough to doo nastiness. Leaving it behind a chair? That is altogether GROSS and uncalled for; rude beyond words.

We didn't do GRR last time, but someday I'll be back to DLR and get to. That, and watching the neon lights come on in Carsland.

Watching the fireworks from Fantasyland is a pro-move! Loved them from back there for years!

This looked like another really lovely day.

The story with the nappy is yucky. I do sometimes wonder about people.

I have never been brave enough to try the swinging gondolas. I am glad that you did and that you enjoyed it. It is good to know though that some of them have a little less movement.

How wonderful that you managed to do Grizzly River Run twice with a minimal wait.

Lucille's has quickly become one of our favourites in California. What a shame that the service was not up to scratch.

Corinna

Back here finally again. I did read the updates, but somehow I never got around to comment.

I know what that feels like... I am way behind on comments everywhere it seems.

Your photos are awesome - they make me so excited about our summer trip.

Thanks! And I hope your summer trip will live up to your expectations!!

And Mickey's wheel of horror made me :rotfl2:as this is the only ride I was REALLY happy to get off and have no desire to ride again. :rotfl:

It seems that there are those who really hate it and those who like it. Not a ride anyone is lukewarm about.

And all the food you took pics of looks pretty good to me. ::yes::

Thanks! I love food pics! Currently Michael is here visiting and he insists on me taking lot of food pictures of every day food. It is fun to have that.

So you liked the Wheel of Death. We must have been in the other line then :rotfl2: as we usually ride each and any ride, but this is one I have no desire to go on again.

I found a ride like that: the subs!

You packed so much into your day. And rode GRR. Another ride we have yet to get on. It was closed when we were last there.

Oh! You have to plan for multiple rides on GRR! Are you staying on points at the GCV? Then it is so easy to go back and get changed. It is definitely the best rapids ride I have ever been on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter