California Adventure is Great!

Acousticpharm

Earning My Ears
Over the past year I have been to every Disney park in the United States.

My overall take is Disneyland is the best. The smallest details are perfect, it has the most magic, and overall the best rides (particularly when you take in to account how many of them there are).

Magic kingdom is missing the magic in some of the places it tries to copy Disneyland. However, it has some absolutely epic areas we don't have like the little mermaid section, be our guest, the peter pan line, etc.

Animal Kingdom to me lots of it doesn't even seem like it has the magic of a Disney park. It's still fun and worth doing too. Pandora is epic and one of the best areas in any Disney park. A few other areas are cool too but most of the park to me feels like a theme park not run by Disney.

Hollywood Studios is similar to Animal Kingdom as it just doesn't quite capture the magic (most of the park) but does have some cool stuff. I enjoyed it. I think our Galaxy's Edge looks a lot cooler/more realistic (the colors and plants are different). However it's just not as perfect with magic as our Disneyland.

I finally went back to CA adventure after about 15 years yesterday. I have seen people hating on it for years saying it should never have been built etc. I thought it was fantastic. It's slightly more like the florida parks where it's not quite as perfect as Disneyland (magic, attention to detail, landscaping). However, overall I think Disney has done a great job and it is an exceptional addition to Disneyland. The Pixar Pier area at night in particular is very magical and fun. Is it perfect no but it is great.

In summary, I wanted to make this post to be a positive California Adventure review and state that I think it is a magical place and we are lucky to have it. Also, all of the Disney parks are fun, magical, and worth going too (it's just that arguably some are better than others). Disney world is huge and the non park areas are a blast too. But overall, I think the Disneyland parks are the best and I was thoroughly impressed with California Adventure. 😃👍😃👍😁 I know people are hating on Disney saying it is too expensive and being mad over every small detail. I would argue overall the disneyland resort is an epic place that feels like you are transported to a different universe, regardless of recent negativity. Enjoy your trips 😃

Last edited:
Great post! I've never been to the Florida parks so I can't compare, but I absolutely love DCA. I grew up on the west coast so I'm biased, but I love how they built the park with California in mind and really tried to recreate the "feel" of different parts of the state, from the mountains to the carnival on the pier, to Hollywood, Buena Vista st., etc.

Cars Land, Bug's Land, and now Marvel Campus don't follow that pattern, but that's OK, I think it's great that they found a place and a way to incorporate those IPs, and I hope they never take away from the rest of the CA vibe. Although, some might argue they already have, changing Soaring to over the world instead of California, and moving away from the "pure" California pier theme to the Incredibles. I haven't seen that change yet in person, but I imagine it's just more of a superficial thing and shouldn't take away too much.

Disney parks are definitely extremely expensive, but they really are a cut above others, if you appreciate theming. We go to Six Flags here in Texas now and then, and while the rides are incredible, and I get some similar feelings to when we visit Disney, when it comes to theme and immersion it just feels like a cheap copy.

For example in Six Flags SA there is also a pier-type area, with wooden docks and carnival-style rides. But when you look over the rails of the dock down at dirt and grass and a service track, right next to the ride, it kind of takes you out of the moment a bit. Paradise Pier meanwhile puts water and fills it with rocks and little details and it just "feels" right. Waiting in line for a ride like IJ or GotG or Splash Mountain can actually be fun because of the surroundings, and music, to go along with the anticipation.

As long as I can afford it, I will always spend the money and go back to Disney, because they do it the best

My favorite land in any of the DL parks is Toy Story Land in WDW Hollywood Studios, but Carsland is a close second. But I'm with you - Disneyland Park is the best park. There is a certain magic that just isn't replicated anywhere else. We also love DCA. It's not typically a full day park for us, but there is a lot to do and a lot of things we love about that park.

I think when people say CA should have never been built, they mean the original version. It was indeed a mess! They did a massive overhaul though, and now it's great! Carsland is pretty amazing - just like walking into the movie! I don't think too many fans lament it's existence now.

Epcot was under major construction when we went I need to go back and try it again once they add the new rides and the construction is done. We did have fun there and the frozen ride was great. Eating at the Mexican pavilion is probably the #1 best dining experience in any park to me :)

I'm glad you had fun! I haven't been in about 6 years and I know alot has changed. I'm looking forward to see the new attractions :)

If you wanted to spend a day at the original California Adventure you'd basically be doing a bunch of little walkthroughs and cheap carnival style rides. I think Cars Land was sort of the turning point when it became a world class park although some people would argue that the debut of World of Color was that turning point.
I never got to see it when it first opened (our first visit was 2006), but I would argue it was great well before Cars Land. Screamin', Soarin', Tower of Terror, Grizzly River are all fantastic rides, and the theme, atmosphere, charm, attention to detail are all better than just about any other park I've been to (outside of the Disney parks I mean). Plus the shows at the Hyperion have always been fantastic. I wouldn't call anything there "cheap", to be fair.

Plus there was a great variety of things for younger kids to do, between the wilderness area (I miss the Brother Bear theme, but I LOVE Up so I'll forgive them for changing lol), Pier rides (Jumpin Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, etc), Turtle Talk and Animation Academy, and Bug's Land. I REALLY miss Bug's Land, my kids LOVED it, and I have great memories of spending time with them there. Maybe that's why people were critical at first, since outside of a few big rides, it was very young-kid-centric?

But again, I've always been very partial to the California theme, and always thought they did a great job capturing that.

I never got to see it when it first opened (our first visit was 2006), but I would argue it was great well before Cars Land. Screamin', Soarin', Tower of Terror, Grizzly River are all fantastic rides, and the theme, atmosphere, charm, attention to detail are all better than just about any other park I've been to (outside of the Disney parks I mean). Plus the shows at the Hyperion have always been fantastic. I wouldn't call anything there "cheap", to be fair.

Plus there was a great variety of things for younger kids to do, between the wilderness area (I miss the Brother Bear theme, but I LOVE Up so I'll forgive them for changing lol), Pier rides (Jumpin Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, etc), Turtle Talk and Animation Academy, and Bug's Land. I REALLY miss Bug's Land, my kids LOVED it, and I have great memories of spending time with them there. Maybe that's why people were critical at first, since outside of a few big rides, it was very young-kid-centric?

But again, I've always been very partial to the California theme, and always thought they did a great job capturing that.

By "cheap", I mean that most of the things you could do in the park were things you could find at places with much lower entrance fees. Goofy's Sky School (or whatever the old theme was), Jumpin Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings (Orange Stinger), the Space Shot attraction, etc. are all rides you can find at amusement parks all around the world with a different paint job. While the wilderness area is above average for a play area, that and the ship play area alone would also not be worth the price of admission.

I agree that Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly River Run are a tier above your average theme park ride. Bugs Land actually opened later and while it was well themed, some of the rides were also off the shelf rides with a nicer paint job.

Tower of Terror, Aladdin and the Electrical Parade were much needed additions. Turtle Talk and Midway Mania were also really cool new attractions when they were added. But with the exception of Aladdin, these were all things you could do in WDW. So the reason to visit California Adventure would be if your travel costs were lower than going to Orlando.

I never thought California Adventure was a bad park but after you visited once, it was more of a Disneyland add-on than a destination going out of the way to see by itself. I think World of Color and Cars Land were the turning points because after they opened, California Adventure had enough unique stuff to draw visitors.

By "cheap", I mean that most of the things you could do in the park were things you could find at places with much lower entrance fees. Goofy's Sky School (or whatever the old theme was), Jumpin Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings (Orange Stinger), the Space Shot attraction, etc. are all rides you can find at amusement parks all around the world with a different paint job. While the wilderness area is above average for a play area, that and the ship play area alone would also not be worth the price of admission.

I agree that Screamin', Soarin' and Grizzly River Run are a tier above your average theme park ride. Bugs Land actually opened later and while it was well themed, some of the rides were also off the shelf rides with a nicer paint job.

Tower of Terror, Aladdin and the Electrical Parade were much needed additions. Turtle Talk and Midway Mania were also really cool new attractions when they were added. But with the exception of Aladdin, these were all things you could do in WDW. So the reason to visit California Adventure would be if your travel costs were lower than going to Orlando.

I never thought California Adventure was a bad park but after you visited once, it was more of a Disneyland add-on than a destination going out of the way to see by itself. I think World of Color and Cars Land were the turning points because after they opened, California Adventure had enough unique stuff to draw visitors.
Yeah, I agree with you that many of the rides are similar in form and function to other parks, and also that until more recently, it was more akin to a Disneyland "add-on". I think where I disagree with you, is when the park really was "world class", in that I think it was before Cars Land, a lot because I believe the theming and attention to detail. Of course that's all subjective.

Now with Cars Land AND the Marvel campus, it really kicks it up another notch. It looks like they have some more room to add behind the Marvel campus as well.

We have always enjoyed DCA. We did not go until Cars Land opened in 2012, but we were blown away with it! It is still my daughter's favorite park.

Disneyland Resort as a whole beats out WDW in all of our eyes. Although, we always want a World Showcase in Cali. ;)

If they could add a couple more thrill rides (and the space is there if they remove some things) it would elevate it into a great park. I personally couldn’t ever spend an entire day in DCA. To us they have the best ride in any park (Guardians) two really good rides (Inredicoaster and RSR) and the rest are really meh. I was disappointed in Soarin over CA as visually it just hasn’t held up over time. I also was very underwhelmed with Webslingers. it is a gorgeous park overall but I just feel from a ride perspective it doesn’t hold a cancel to DL.

If they could add a couple more thrill rides (and the space is there if they remove some things) it would elevate it into a great park. I personally couldn’t ever spend an entire day in DCA. To us they have the best ride in any park (Guardians) two really good rides (Inredicoaster and RSR) and the rest are really meh. I was disappointed in Soarin over CA as visually it just hasn’t held up over time. I also was very underwhelmed with Webslingers. it is a gorgeous park overall but I just feel from a ride perspective it doesn’t hold a cancel to DL.

There is still room for the Avengers ride that is on hold at the moment. I think it will come along eventually. That'll be a great addition!

I do see CA as more akin to Hollywood Studios - less ride-heavy with more shows. They really need to bring back a show at the Hyperion Theater though.

There is still room for the Avengers ride that is on hold at the moment. I think it will come along eventually. That'll be a great addition!

I do see CA as more akin to Hollywood Studios - less ride-heavy with more shows. They really need to bring back a show at the Hyperion Theater though.
So there is still no shows at the Hyperion? That's disappointing, we were really looking forward to that, they're always great.

Just a quick story about that. One of my daughter's favorite princess is Jasmine, and one year we were at DCA, they were showing Aladdin at the Hyperion. My daughter was 6 or 7 at the time. My wife stood in line early to get us good seats, and made friends with a wonderful woman who lived in the area came to the parks often. She also happened to have front row seats to this show, and her husband wasn't able to come, so she invited my daughter to go sit in front with her. During the show, both Jasmine and Aladdin stopped and sung to her and held her hand! She was absolutely walking on clouds for the rest of the day after that...

So there is still no shows at the Hyperion? That's disappointing, we were really looking forward to that, they're always great.

Just a quick story about that. One of my daughter's favorite princess is Jasmine, and one year we were at DCA, they were showing Aladdin at the Hyperion. My daughter was 6 or 7 at the time. My wife stood in line early to get us good seats, and made friends with a wonderful woman who lived in the area came to the parks often. She also happened to have front row seats to this show, and her husband wasn't able to come, so she invited my daughter to go sit in front with her. During the show, both Jasmine and Aladdin stopped and sung to her and held her hand! She was absolutely walking on clouds for the rest of the day after that...

That Aladdin show was amazing! Frozen was good too, but Aladdin was just special, especially the carpet, who stole the show!

That Aladdin show was amazing! Frozen was good too, but Aladdin was just special, especially the carpet, who stole the show!
Totally agree! We got to see it a couple times a few years apart, and it was fantastic both times, and we loved how Genie would actually say different things depending on what was going on in the world at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter