• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Adventure Food & Wine ~ April 2016

I remember the last year I went (2010, I think), a lot of the demos and stuff we're back in the building that used to house the Mad T Party arcade. Stage 17 would also be a good option for the indoor stuff now that Olaf is no longer using it. I wonder if they'll have food booths (like Epcot's F&W) or if most of the items will be scattered at the various CS locations (like they did previously). I hope for food booths!
Food booths would be nice, but California laws make it difficult to setup temporary food service (based on forum posts when F&W was cancelled, several years ago).

Clever timing to pull people who might think about seeing the Wizarding World after its official opening. :)

I know that I now want to go. :)

I'm doing both. Of course Universal's way easier for me since I live right by the red line in LA.

What a surprise!! This foodie will be all over it. We are coming in for Dapper Day Weekend late on 4/30. Hope this event is still going strong as the only day we can attend is closing day on 5/1. Might have to plan a quick side trip.

I am so excited for this! I was really surprised when they announced it... Epcot's food and wine festival is one of my favorite Disney things and now I get to try both this year!

What Celebrity Chef's would you guys like to see? I would love to see Robert Irvine, Bobby Flay, or Andrew Zimmern... Anthony Bourdain would be really awesome but he doesn't really fit the "Disney" mold...

Food booths would be nice, but California laws make it difficult to setup temporary food service (based on forum posts when F&W was cancelled, several years ago).
I had forgotten about that. I'll continue to hope that maybe the laws have changed in the last 6 years or Disney will have figured some way to work within those restrictions. After all, there are food trucks a plenty now a days, plus street fairs and other mobile food venues/events.

I'm so excited!!! We will be there on the last week of April. I loved loved loved the F&W at WDW and now can't wait for my upcoming trip.

Clever timing to pull people who might think about seeing the Wizarding World after its official opening. :)

I know that I now want to go. :)

That's precisely what I thought when I first saw the Blog about this. Disney may sometimes make some questionable decisions about things that they add in and things that they remove from the parks (and those things could range from sandwiches to full stage productions), but they are no fools when it comes to doing a little preemptive striking and strategic staging of events/announcements. Another example from yesterday -- they very wisely announced the Food & Wine Festival's return to DCA... before announcing (again) that the Mad T Party is ending. In fact, I think the Mad T Party announcement popped up kind of late in the day, did it not? They were trying to sneak it in there, while everyone was distracted by the joy of the Festival's return! :lmao:

Not only is Harry Potter comin' to town very soon, but a lot of focus has been put on things that are going to be down in Disneyland this year, or things that are gone forever (while the admission, AP and hotel prices continue to rise). Disney can save face a little bit by whipping out a long lost popular event that people assumed was gone forever.

I am so excited for this! I was really surprised when they announced it... Epcot's food and wine festival is one of my favorite Disney things and now I get to try both this year!

What Celebrity Chef's would you guys like to see? I would love to see Robert Irvine, Bobby Flay, or Andrew Zimmern... Anthony Bourdain would be really awesome but he doesn't really fit the "Disney" mold...

I am almost certain Guy Fieri will be one of the chefs appearing. Not only is he at DLR every year anyway, and participated in at least one of (if not all of) the last Food & Wine Festivals, but he is also very tied to California cuisine and culture and all of that. It makes sense for him to be there.

I am almost certain Guy Fieri will be one of the chefs appearing. Not only is he at DLR every year anyway, and participated in at least one of (if not all of) the last Food & Wine Festivals, but he is also very tied to California cuisine and culture and all of that. It makes sense for him to be there.

I think you are right he would be a great fit I like him, I don't know how great of a "chef" he is however it would be fun to meet him and maybe attend a culinary demonstration if he does one... Also Jeff Mauro has done a Disney Cruise and a Disney World special so thats a possibility too...

I think you are right he would be a great fit I like him, I don't know how great of a "chef" he is however it would be fun to meet him and maybe attend a culinary demonstration if he does one... Also Jeff Mauro has done a Disney Cruise and a Disney World special so thats a possibility too...

I like Jeff Mauro -- he's fun! He's got a lot of personality.

Another possibility is someone from The Chew -- Michael Symon, Mario Batali or Carla Hall, especially. The last time we had a Food and Wine Festival at DCA (2010), The Chew had not yet premiered (it didn't come to ABC until 2011). Since Disney owns ABC, it would make sense for one of them to be there.

There is some speculation that the return of F&W and the departure of Mad T Party are related in that F&W might be setting up shop in that location. I also wonder if this is part of DLR's response to the budget cuts which have been widely reported to be hitting Disney's Parks and Resorts division. I.E., replacing a moderate money money with something with much higher potential profits.

so it says weekends, but starting April 1st which is a Friday, do I dare hope that Friday afternoons might be included in the weekend?!

I'm hoping so. I'm there on Tuesday and leaving Saturday in April. I've done the WDW festival multiple times so it'd be nice to try the west coast version (though I figure Friday might be busy).

I had forgotten about that. I'll continue to hope that maybe the laws have changed in the last 6 years or Disney will have figured some way to work within those restrictions. After all, there are food trucks a plenty now a days, plus street fairs and other mobile food venues/events.
They've brought food trucks into the parks before.

interest in this as I'm debating a trip in April.. This might be the deciding factor.... especially with airfare being so low

There is some speculation that the return of F&W and the departure of Mad T Party are related in that F&W might be setting up shop in that location. I also wonder if this is part of DLR's response to the budget cuts which have been widely reported to be hitting Disney's Parks and Resorts division. I.E., replacing a moderate money money with something with much higher potential profits.

I think that makes sense -- F&W setting up shop in the Mad T Party location. I can picture it. They could also use that space for other special events or seasonal things if they don't bring back any kind of band (hint hint, Disney -- pumpkin carvers/Halloween Carnival!!!!!!!! :hyper:). Then again, if the budget cuts talk is true, that space may be empty for long chunks of time with nothing happening.

Anyone attend one at CA?
Planning to attend?
I've been to F&W in Epcot several times, but never here. I read they haven't had one since 2010.
In what ways is it similar and different? Not having the different "countries" to tour, I'm curious.

I'm interested in the seminars and culinary demonstrations.
Would love to hear your thoughts and of course, any pictures you would like to share!

Thanks.

I haven't heard any new updates, nor have I read any on other Disney fan sites. All of the details seem to be pretty much unknown at the moment. I would imagine that we'll start to hear more about the Festival when March begins -- if not in one single blog on the Parks Blog site, then probably spread out over a few Parks Blogs. It's a pretty big deal that we are getting this event back again -- it's not as if it was only gone for one or two years -- so I would expect a lot of build-up to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter