• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cake smashing at weddings

I don't see the problem with it, and I'd certainly not annull my marriage over it if it did happen! We didn't do it ourselves but I've seen it done at the weddings I've attended and enjoyed watching it!

Well, color me tacky. ;)

No dress or tux, makeup or hair, were damaged during the making of this movie. :rotfl:
We laughed, cleaned up in the restroom, and went on about our night.

Oh, and our honeymoon was fine and we'll be married 20 years next August.

As long as the bride and groom are on the same page, whatever they want goes. In our case, we didn't do the cake feeding thing at all. We skipped a lot of the "traditions" that had no personal meaning for us.

Doesn't matter to me. If the couple want to do it, more power to them. We didn't.

When we got married (18 years ago), it was done at most weddings. I insisted that I *didn't* want to do it at ours -- and we didn't. People booed (good naturedly) that we didn't. It was common in our area back then, but I really haven't seen it since. Definitely out of style now.

I don't care for it, but as long as the bride and groom are on the same page, then I don't really care what they do. In the past, I have seen a few brides in tears whose hair/makeup/dress got messy. And a few grooms in shock after they were apparently threatened against smashing cake on their wives, but then their wives smashed it on them. I don't like that... but if they both agree, then... whatever.

No cake smashing at our wedding, and no garter. DH and I think both of those are tacky. No bouquet toss because I always found that embarrassing when I was single.

Every wedding I've been to has had this happen. I think it is fun and a great way to break the tension after months or years of planning and having to deal with wedding stress. It isn't violent by any means. I've seen some violent ones in various videos and those scare me.

I know people expected it at our wedding so we planned to NOT do it. We each took a piece, reared back, and then lovingly fed each other dainty pieces to groans and cheers. :rotfl:

Well, color me tacky. ;) No dress or tux, makeup or hair, were damaged during the making of this movie. :rotfl: We laughed, cleaned up in the restroom, and went on about our night. Oh, and our honeymoon was fine and we'll be married 20 years next August.

I'll join you on the 'tacky' list ;)
There was a bit of cake smashing at our wedding (20 years in July). None got on our clothes, it was all in fun and we're still together lol

Hey, I'm tacky too! :goodvibes Most weddings in my area, back in the day as well as now, either daintily used a fork ( which I think looks pretentious ), bride or groom does a "smear" of icing, no big mess, or they both eye each other warily waiting to see what the other one does.

That being said, at my nephews wedding, they did the eyeball thing. He was a gentleman and waited, at the last second, she smeared the cake sideways and got icing all over his nose. She laughed like crazy and he played along with the aloof face. THEN, he grabbed her and kissed her being careful to "share the love". It was fun, they were both delightful and I felt it defined their fun and loving natures.

I agree with the "tacky" contingent. We fed each other a bite of our wedding cake, but smashing it into each other's face? Pure lowbrow. No fun, no funny, no cute, just trashy. What's funny about messing up the bride's makeup, or either the bride's or the groom's clothes?

I won't say that I've never seen it at a wedding (although I haven't) because I've only been to maybe a half dozen or so weddings including my own, so I can't claim to have any significant insight into wedding customs.

It may be a coincidence, but in every single wedding we have been to, except one, when cake was smashed, the couple ended up divorced. We joke that it is the kiss of death.

We went to the wedding of an employee of my husband's, and the groom smashed so much cake in his bride's face that it went up her nose, and got in her eyes. On what planet is THAT funny or cute? She was really a mess. :scared:

It never even crossed our mind to do it, and we got married in the late 80's.

It makes you look like you can't think for yourselves, so you do what you see everyone else doing on YouTube.

Not a fan…

The only time I saw this done, the bride…with cake on her cheek…gave the groom the look of death and ran tearing for the ladies' room as the guests fell to silence.

They were divorced two years later.

We did not do the garter, bouquet, or cake smashing either. I think the garter removal is in particularly bad taste.

We've been married 29 years. ;)

Not a fan…

The only time I saw this done, the bride…with cake on her cheek…gave the groom the look of death and ran tearing for the ladies' room as the room fell to silence.

They were divorced two years later.

No cake smashing at our wedding, and no garter. DH and I think both of those are tacky. No bouquet toss because I always found that embarrassing when I was single.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen the garter thing in a long time either. Yeah, I always thought that was kind of tacky and lowbrow too.

Some folks really need to lighten up and get a sense of humor.

There are always those that will go to far but I would much rather see the bride and groom being playful and joking around, those two characteristics make the best marriages.

I agree with the "tacky" contingent. We fed each other a bite of our wedding cake, but smashing it into each other's face? Pure lowbrow. No fun, no funny, no cute, just trashy. What's funny about messing up the bride's makeup, or either the bride's or the groom's clothes?
I agree. Tacky.

When we got married, 23 years ago, everyone was doing it. My husband and I didn't talk about it, discuss it or decide anything before the reception. But when it came time to feed each other, neither of us smashed the cake.

One of our guests yelled out for my husband to smash it in my face. Why? Because the guest had done it to every single one of his wives. (3)

As long as both parties are in agreement I see no harm in it. It is pretty popular around here so I saw it at the majority of weddings I have been to.

The only time I have seen a full cake smash, it was an outdoor wedding where we sat on hay bales and the entire wedding party was wearing denim.

However, it is very popular here to be a little messy with it. A dollop of frosting on the nose or cheek, then a tenderly fed piece of cake.

As long as both parties are in agreement, it doesn't bother me. Not what we chose to do, but it doesn't offend me to watch it either.

Some folks really need to lighten up and get a sense of humor.

There are always those that will go to far but I would much rather see the bride and groom being playful and joking around, those two characteristics make the best marriages.

My dh and I manage to be playful and joke around without smearing food on each other. I think I have a good sense of humor. I just don't find cake smashing to any extent funny. Not a fan of the garter or bouquet toss but love a good signature cocktail and great dance music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter