• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cafe Orleans or Blue Bayou?

I havent had the Monte Cristo at CO but I have had it at BB (some swear its better at one place than another-others insist it's the same sandwich made in the same kitchen). I wasn't sure what I was going to think of it since the one I had at a non disney restaurant was disgusting and people here seem to love it or absolutely abhor it. So many people here seemed to think it was delicious that I had to give it a try. I ordered the one with meat at BB as did my son. We both loved it. My son now wants to go back and eat it again. For me it was very rich and heavy for lunch if you headed on rides after-so not something I would eat often and not something i'll get on every trip but it was very tasty to me.

I had the cheese version and I can confirm that it is terrible. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and I never got over what a fail it was. The battered deep fried bread is more like a donut than bread. It was basically a donut stuffed with brie and swiss cheese. I just don't see how that would appeal to anyone. And they give some sweet sauce and powdered sugar - it was nothing like a sandwich.

I love grilled cheese too. My hubby makes a delicious Gruyere grilled cheese with bechamel sauce. It's wonderful and while heavy, it's not greasy. Glad I am not the only one who thinks the Monte Cristo looks ick.

I've only eaten at Cafe Orleans once, the menu just doesn't appeal to me although the pomme frites were delicious. We go to BB a few times a year, love the jambalaya! The ambiance is great. I've been going there since I was a kid and it was an Italian place.

My grandmothers favorite sandwich was a Monte Cristo, but to me they do not look appetizing at all! Bleh!

We always eat 1 meal at Cafe Orleans. People watching, pomme frites, gumbo and ice tea! Blue Bayou is where we go for a special treat, maybe once every few years. The ambiance is nice but it can take a big chunk of your time. As an aside, we ate at Blue Bayou last week and it was the first time that my husband (who has a gluten allergy) had a contaminated meal while dining in the park.

I want the monte cristo! I wonder if they could make it using gf bread....I wish...
I read the above post's reference a few months ago, and emailed Disney Dining about ordering the Monte Cristo GF, they emailed back promptly and said no problem. I had it last month when we were there. It was delicious. It was a little weird looking and narrow, maybe because they might have used long, narrow gf deli rolls? Here's a picture:

IMG_4015.JPG

I also had it 8 years ago at Cafe Orleans before we found out we were a celiac family. It's true that it is very rich and heavy, and if you don't like the slightly odd sweet/savory fried aspect of it, you might not like it. It's like people who like pigs in a blanket-- the sweet pancakes and syrup along with the savory sausage. Kind of weird and not for everybody. Personally, I liked it, especially when it is served hot and fresh.

OP, I really love Blue Bayou, but then PoTC is my favorite ride. My favorite way to experience it is to go there for early lunch and get waterside seating. You call right at 60 days out and get reservations for the first seating at 11:30. Check in at 11:20 and request waterside. Lunch is a little less expensive, waterside is very cool on the Bayou.

Cafe Orleans was nice too, I think I'd like to try it again in the late afternoon or evening. I'd like to take a break there with a plate of pomme frites and a drink, and people watch on the patio.

I really find myself going to CO more often than BB, just because of the cost, but I find that the menu at CO is very limited. My family only likes a couple of the items, so we tend to get the same thing each time we go. My wife hates the Monte Cristo. We usually sit out on the terrace, and it is fun seeing all the park goers walk by.

B

Only had lunch at BB, but I found it WAY too dark for my tastes. Give me the patio at CO anytime.

I have just eaten at both - BB is lovely I love the Gumbo but I preferred my meal at CO - Pomme Frittes and French Onion Soup oh and both places sell Mint Julep ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
I like them both, but our family has a special love for BB. We generally share meals so the cost isn't much different between the two for us and I like getting the sides. I have found the service at CO to be really bad about 4 out of 6 times when it's my whole family of 5. If I'm going to have a casual sit-down meal, it's usually not going to be at CO. It's too expensive for that kind of dining IMO. I WILL stop in when it's not too busy and have something small, like an order of fries or beignets. I certainly don't find CO's food any better than BB or vice versa--they seem the same to me, but BB has better presentation.

And for the record, we love the MC (meat version). I have 3 girls and we share it between the 4 of us and we're full! That's how rich it is. It's also conveniently cut into 4 triangles :) We've only gotten it at BB but as far as I can see, it's the same sandwich at both places but comes with sides at BB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter