Cable ties or locks???????

mandymouse

Bahama Mama Time !!
We are off to Florida in two weeks and we are flying with Virgin from Gatwick. I've read so many nightmare reports of forced luggage and broken locks that I really don't know whether to use a lock or the cable ties that many U.S travellers have been using. Are there any recent travellers out there with any advice?

Thanks alot

We used cable ties in view of security issues. We reckoned if anyone wanted to get into our cases for illegal purposes, locks wouldn't stop them anyway.

We returned from Orlando on Sunday and did not lock our cases. All 3 of our cases were opened, inspected and sealed. On the leaflet that had been put inside was the following link which you may find useful.

www.TSATravelTips.us

Thanks Ali5on, very informative site.

Will bookmark it and have a good read of it later.

I've just checked out that site and some of the advise is bizarre. They advise not to wear underwire bras ! Not exactly a problem for me but still.......

LOl ive always worn underwire bras and never had any problem!!!

Jules

Thanks for the link Alison - the site answers lots of questions frequently asked on the boards.

I think I will buy some cable ties, but I'm not entirely sure what they are and where to buy them.

you can get them from B&Q - they are small lengths of plastic with a 'buckle' at one end - you slide the end through the buckle and it will only slide in one direction, so you can tighten them but you can't release them. You will need to cut them off.

I bought a bag of 100 recently for a few pounds.

Bev

Thanks, Bev - I understand what they are now. I'll add them to my shopping list.

Hi there

I bought some short multi-coloured cable ties from Wilko today, which were 69p for approx 90 - Bargain!!!!

It's rather obvious, but don't put anything in your luggage that you'll need to access before you get to the villa or hotel. You'll need a knive or scissors and you can only take these inside your hold luggage. You could ask an airport worker, but I'd refuse because I wouldn't know whether it was your case.

Good point SidB

Deb - I've also found bags of cable ties in those £1 shops if you have any near you.

we have hard luggage with combination locks so cable ties are no good but I found a large locking strap last weekend for £4 in Debenhams. That should do the trick I hope.

While we've all being concentrating on what to do and how to secure our luggage (I'm going with cable ties) I'd be interested to know if anyone picks up on any stories of things being 'stolen', lost, bags appearing at reclaim open, not shut properly or whatever having been checked.

Although I'm not happy with the whole unlocked bag situation I might feel better about it if it seemed that our possessions still arrived intact the other end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter