Cabanas for dinner?

From a food perspective I dont think so. But from a planning/logistical perspective it's nice to just have one evening that I don't have to worry about the MDR and take advantage of other popular things when it's less crowded.

After many DCL cruises (Platinum), we are going to try this on our next cruise for the first time. Sometimes the length of the evening meal is just too much for us. If we are sure that we will never go to the main dining room, would it be courteous to tell them that we will never be there? Has anyone done that?

We have only visited that venue once for dinner in 10 Disney cruises -- at that time it was still Topsider's on the Magic. It was sit down then, too, but we got stuck with a waiter who was way out of line. Actually stood or sat through our whole dinner yammering away about his life and what he hopes his future will be, etc. We usually like talking to cast members about their countries and family, but this gentleman was from the U.S. and it was by no means interesting conversation as it mostly consisted of bragging and his singing career he hoped to have. We had no time to chat as a family and no privacy to just enjoy our dinner. We haven't been back since LOL

After many DCL cruises (Platinum), we are going to try this on our next cruise for the first time. Sometimes the length of the evening meal is just too much for us. If we are sure that we will never go to the main dining room, would it be courteous to tell them that we will never be there? Has anyone done that?

I always tell my dining staff if I'm not going to be there. It might not be needed, but I do think it is nice to do so.

We were assigned to a 6 top one cruise where one gentleman never dined in the MDR until the debarkation breakfast. Sad, as the reason we don't ask to be seated alone is to meet other people.

I think it's good manners to at least let your servers know you won't be in the MDR.

We did this one night on our 7 night cruise and it was fantastic. The kids had a long day, and we just weren't up for dinner with our tablemates. I also had an experience in the MDR, which still had me upset. I specifically requested we be in the Royal Table dining room for my daughter's third birthday (due to the princess theme). They put us in that dining room, but tucked away in a corner in one of the side rooms. We could not even SEE the main dining area. We asked about being moved, and they tried to sell us on the fact that that is where celebrities sit when on board (to hide basically). There wasn't a single mosaic or princess touch in sight, and I felt like I was in a very basic, drab room in a regular restaurant at home. There were other tables in that room, so, there was no private dining experience as a trade off. I had such a vision for her dinner, it was formal night and were all in our "Royal" best, and this depressed me. I am a big planner, and it sucks when you plan something for so many months. So, with tired kids, and my major let down over her birthday dinner, I just wasn't ready to do MDR again, and we went to Cabanas. We had a table with an amazing view, and the service was excellent. It actually refreshed me, and. although we didn't do Cabana dinner again that cruise, I will certainly work it into the rotation in December.

Whether seated in the MDR or Cabanas if you have any illusion how the dinner may progress, I suggest you share that with the waiter or maitre de so your fantasy dining experience may come true.

If you sit there and say nothing, accept the long, inspirational, inquisitive, attempted comical, engaging, potentially even aggressive waiter.

May I suggest you speak up and tell someone what your fantastical dinner service should include.
It truly isn't that challenging.

If you say squat, then they may become something you don't want.

My goodness. They are trying to make everyone happy.

Just talk to them. Tell them what you want and prefer if necessary.

Most MDR staff are seasoned professionals who can read guests btw. Granted not so much in Cabanas though.

Enjoy you dinners.

--- rant over ---

Whether seated in the MDR or Cabanas if you have any illusion how the dinner may progress, I suggest you share that with the waiter or maitre de so your fantasy dining experience may come true.

If you sit there and say nothing, accept the long, inspirational, inquisitive, attempted comical, engaging, potentially even aggressive waiter.

May I suggest you speak up and tell someone what your fantastical dinner service should include.
It truly isn't that challenging.

If you say squat, then they may become something you don't want.

My goodness. They are trying to make everyone happy.

Just talk to them. Tell them what you want and prefer if necessary.

Most MDR staff are seasoned professionals who can read guests btw. Granted not so much in Cabanas though.

Enjoy you dinners.

--- rant over ---
i not only said something to our wait staff, but to our head waiter....They didn't try to move us, they tried to sell us on the location. They said they didn't have the space to move us and our three tablemates (we weren't sailing with them).

Cabanas is a sit down, table service for dinner. The menu is comprised of selected items available on the menus in the other dining rooms that evening. On a night that the same menu is served in the MDR (Pirate night, for instance) the menu at Cabanas is basically the same menu.

There is also a salad bar and a carved item served in Cabanas for dinner.
Are there set seating times for Cabanas, like for the MDR's? Or can you just walk in anytime during certain hours?

We did Cabanas one night out of a weird necessity. The Oscars were airing while we were cruising

This is our situation as well. We have late seating and that's right when the Oscar's start. We have Palo Brunch and Mixology, so I figured a nap and then early dinner, hit the photographers and see the show!

However, when we explained our rush, they were able to get us in and out super fast and we made the opening of the Oscars.

I'm glad to know they'll accommodate guests, if we tell them what's up!

That's a bummer it's sit down for dinner. I'm an extremely picky eater, but I can always find something on a buffet. On previous cruises *another line* we either skip the MDR completely or only go 1 night. But, I'm glad to know this ahead of time.

So the first time my sister and I tried Cabanas for dinner, it was just plain bad, and I love DCL's food. The service was slow and the food was cold. The only thing that were ok were mini corn dogs off the kids menu. We said we wouldn't eat there again; however, on another cruise we thought maybe it was just an off night and decided we would re-try it. The service was a little better, but the food was still not anything I'd expect from Disney. Now if we're not waiting to go to the MDR or Palos, we'll just go to Flo's to get burgers and chicken.
Are Flo's food also free or is there a charge?

I have a Cabanas question!
We dined there before the DCL app.
Does anyone know if the nights menu is on the app now as we have Second seating in May and that's kind of late for these old folks!

I have a Cabanas question!
We dined there before the DCL app.
Does anyone know if the nights menu is on the app now as we have Second seating in May and that's kind of late for these old folks!

I sailed this past Sunday-Thursday. The MDR dinner menus are on the app for each night, but the Cabanas menu is not.

Different people, different opinions.

We tried dinner in Cabanas on our last Fantasy cruise. Our waiters were not the best in the MDR so we gave it a try. It was fantastic! The waiter was probably one of the best we have had on DCL. My dh is still raving about the ribeye! It was relaxing way to dine and they will seat you by yourselves - we had a table for 2. No salad bar or carving station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter