Cab to Grocery Store (from POP)

Irish Kelly

Earning My Ears
Greetings all!

I'm trying to save as much money as I can on my upcoming trip to WDW, and I was hoping to take a cab to a grocery store to buy some water, pop and what-not on my first day in Florida. We booked Mears transfers (wish we could change that, but...) and I don't think they do grocery stops.

How much would it cost to take a cab from Pop Century to the closest grocery store? Where is the closest grocery store to Pop Century?

If you would use Tiffany instead of Mears, they do allow a grocery stop. It would be a lot cheaper than taking a cab (friends of ours took a cab to Universal and it was $45.00). If there are 3 or more people...Tiffany is about the same price and definately worth it, since there are no other stops along the way. Can't you cancel Mears???

We bought those prepaid vouchers through our travel agent.
We used Mears 4 years ago, and thought they were fine. I hadn't thought of booking Tiffany Towncars when we did the booking....

But I still think it'll be worth spending $20 on a cab ride to a grocery store, when I think of the amount of money we'd be saving just on the price of water at the parks.

Taxis can be quite expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost $25. Instead, try public transit. the Lynx bus leaves twice an hour for $1.25 The bus information will have schedules. Catch it at the TTC near MK. Publix will be the first grocery store, about a 12 min. ride. As the bus driver and they will help you so yopu don'd get lost. Weve used it many times. Now, we've never stayed at Pop, but ASMu has a microwave and a toaster available for guests. We've heated up chili, made popcorn etc. Perhaps Pop has one too in the food court you can use. Worth inquiring about.

Actually, if what you are mostly interested in is bottled water, soda and some snacks, I'd suggest that you take Disney transportation to one of the DVC resorts and make your purchases there.

Yes, the prices will be somewhat higher than in a grocery store, but you will not have the expense of the taxi. IMHO, you are looking at a minimum of $30 in cab fares to get to a decent grocery. You'll be better off overall if you buy on site.

We use the General Store on the Boardwalk for this purpose. It has pretty much everything you'd need, although there isn't a lot of brand variety. From POP, you could take a bus to MGM and then either take the boat to the BW or walk. It's a very pleasant 15 minute stroll along the canal. (Or you could spend some time at MGM or EPCOT and pick up your snacks on the way home). Another alternative is to grab a bus to Downtown Disney and transfer to a BW bus from there.

If you buy too much to carry back on Disney transportation, you can take a cab back to the POP from the BW. That would cost about $12, including a tip for the driver.

The LYNX bus to the Publix is an alternative, but IMHO, that will take up way too much time. You'll have to decide how much $$ savings are worth as far as your time goes.

Again, IMHO, unless you were planning to stock up with an entire week or two of meals, the cost of the cab will wipe out any savings you might have on buying your items in a grocery store.

Enjoy the trip!

Can you order food ahead and have it sent to your room? Disney vacation club has this option. It will cost more than the grocery store but may be worth the time yu will save. I would think a bus or cab could take up several hours of vacation time.

If you take the bus how far will you be from the grocery? Are thier buses to the Premier mall, thats a great place to save $$$ as they have a Disney outlet.

If you take a bus or cab let us know when you get back how it goes.

Tigger

I don't think that a cab should cost to much from POP to the Publix as it is very close. You might want to try posting on the Transportation board, there are a couple of cabbies from the Orlando area on there who could give you a decent estimate. But given that is it less than three miles to the Publix on South International, I can't see it being too much.

We used Tiffany towncar from Orlando airport to All stars for $85 round trip including a half our grocery stop. We bought a case of water, a cheap styrofoam cooler, pop tarts (for breakfast) and snacks for dinner)

The town was actullay cheaper for four than mears, and SOOOO MUCH easier.

Just something to consider,

Chris

Last year when we were at the ASM we took a yellow cab to Publix Supermarkert and we paid 13.00 each way plus tips, Because of that I made sure that I got everything that needed for the 7days in one trip to the supermarket My grocery bill was 89.00 and it covered breakfast and lunch every day.

soneone on another thread said that Goodings has a delivery service, which has a min. purchase of $50. and there is a $10 service charge added to your bill.

www.goodings.com

this will be good if you do end up using mears.

i don't know we got a grat cab driver and he gave us discounts on everything we used him our entire trip even to universal it should not be that eensive

Thanks for all the help!!!

I can't cancel the Mears transfers now, as they're 100% non refundable...

I think I might take the bus to the store and just cab it back with the groceries... I'll be buying mostly pop and water. I don't think that I'd be buying $50 worth pop and/or water, so I won't use the Goodings on-line ordering service.

So the Publix on South International is the closest grocery store?

Why don't you trynetgrocer.com I have used them in the past and thery were fine. I actually don't think the prices are too bad at all.

I woulld think that you could pack a suitcase full of water bottles and snacks. This way you would have the extra suitcase for the stuff you buy while there.

I just checked out Netgrocers, I may do that. The shipping looks to be $5.99 for up to $25.00 or $8.99 up to $50.00. The water is as low as .43 and they have our favorite Fruit2O. How far in advance do you place an order? It would be worth $9.00 for direct delivery! You would also save on park time! Packing s suitcase is another good option. I would hate the idea of losing all that time catching a bus, shopping and even a one way cab would cost more than the shipping. I think Netgrocer is a wonderful idea!!!

I might try packing some water. I don't know how strict they are at customs about stuff like that. I haven't travelled since 9-11, so I'm a bit behind in the know about what one can take across the border.

Water will be wicked heavy! Do you really want to schlepp that all the way from Canada?
If it were me and I was locked into Mears transport, I would seriously consider netgrocer.
Time is money and the $9 to ship sounds like a bargain to me!

I just looked on Netgrocer to get some ideas of prices. If you're not picky about the brand of water. they ahve Poland Springs 6 pakcs of 24 oz bottles for $2.55. That works out to 80 cents per quart. That's a good price, and it tastes just fine to me.

Soft drinks were averaging $1.89 for a 2 liter bottle and $4.49/6pk of either 12 oz cans or 20 oz bottles. That's a little high, esp for the 6 packs, but it's a whole lot cheaper than WDW prices! :teeth:

If you convert those prices to Canadian, are they good values to what you would spend at home? If so, then I would just order from them. You can buy up to $74.99 and only pay $8.99 shipping. You can have it shipped ahead of time to your hotel. That's a whole lot easier than you lugging it on a plane.

EDIT: for the water, you could always spend the $6 and buy Brita water bottles. They have a filter, so you can use the free tap water. That's what I did for my 10/2003 trip, and I will be using it again in May!

I'm going to have to look around for those Brita water filter things.
I don't think I've ever seen them up here... but then again, I've never looked.

The price for water seems like a lot, I was at Wal-Mart the other day and can buy 12 (20 oz) bottles for $2.67 (or something like that)

I think the Brita water filter may be my best bet.

I have also seen a company in Orlando that deliveries groceries to you at your hotel. You fax or email your order to them with a date and time of delivery and they delivery it with in 15 minutes of your order time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter