• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CA Grill reviews?

DepCor0311

<font color=red>KUNGALOOSH!!<br><font color=purple
Thinking about having Dinner at the CA Grill during our Sept. trip...thoughts? Reviews? Fav dishes?
TIA

I'll be placing my own thread for eats at Disney, but as for the CA Grille, awesome!!! They say to dress fromally, no you don't. Try to get a reservation around 830, that way you ca see the wishes fireworks display from the rooftop, that was awesome. Food is real good. :wave2:

We just have dinner at CG and watched wishes on Jan. 31. What a wonderful experience. Go, eat, and enjoy. We will be back there on our next trip in December.

Renee

I ate there twice last year, in November with just DH and in December with DH, Dsis, and her kids. I went back to my old posts and copied the reviews in here for you (warning, I am a little long-winded!). if you don't feel like reading all the detail, I will sum it up here: great food, terrific service, wonderful time. GO!

November review:

Dinner that night was at California Grill, and it was excellent as always. Our server (Kevin) was really friendly and paced our meal well so that we had the opportunity to see Wishes and did not rush. DH wanted sushi to start, so we opted to split the big bang roll as a first course. This roll has tuna, crabmeat, tempura shrimp, mango, and cucumber all rolled up together. The flavors were good but the roll was huge! It took me four bites to eat a piece of it. That’s actually one of my least favorite things about sushi in general—you are supposed to eat it in one or two bites, but the pieces are just too big to manage that.

We waited a while before ordering the next course since the sushi was more filling than we expected. I ordered the wild mushroom flatbread with gorgonzola cheese and aged balsamic, and DH ordered the seared foie gras on brioche with a calvados (I think!) sauce. Kevin brought out the flatbread first, then the foie gras after we finished with the flatbread. The flatbread was exceptional, very strongly flavored and loaded with mushrooms. I don’t eat foie gras, but DH loved it. He said it was very rich and flavorful. His only negative comment was that perhaps the sauce was a little too sweet. For wines, I had a glass of conundrum and DH enjoyed a Gary Farrell red. Unfortunately, I misplaced my notes from this meal so I am not sure exactly what it was.

At this point we were feeling pretty full so after some debate decided to skip our plan of splitting a third course and instead ordered dessert—a flourless chocolate cake with ice cream. You have to have dessert on your birthday, right? Kevin held the dessert back until after Wishes. We were seated at a window table, but our view of Wishes would have been slightly obstructed by a Christmas tree, so we opted to watch out on the observation deck. I was so happy that they are piping the music back into the restaurant/deck area. Last fall we missed this at our meals in October and December. Wishes was great as always, but boy was it cold out there on the deck! I was wearing a sweater and a winter coat, and was still shaking!

When we came back inside, Kevin brought dessert. He had added a chocolate bar that said “happy birthday from the California Grill” and a candle. I thought that was very nice. Dessert was delicious, albeit very rich. DH had ordered a glass of port for dessert but we did not drink too much of it. We were just too stuffed! This was a great meal and a wonderful way to end DH’s birthday.

December review (written by both me and Dsis, hence the two voices):

We had a great time at California Grill. I had never been, so I let AB and UJ take the lead in ordering selections and wine. We had a delicious flatbread with wild mushrooms and gorgonzola cheese to start. I was a little skeptical, but it was delicious. It didn't exactly go with the Charles Krug sauvignon blanc I had ordered as a starter though. The wine was delicious, but I wished I had finished it before the appetizer. For a first course, AB and I split the pumpkin soup and we ordered glasses of pinot noir...I can't remember the label, but I am sure AB does.

AB adds: Yup, I do. It was Gary Farrell. Yum!

The soup was good...very fall-like. For an entree I had the beef fillet. Normally, I don't eat as much beef as I did this trip, but I ordered this to make up for the disappointing filet mignon I had at Brown Derby. This beef was much better cooked and juicier. I didn't really care for the barbecue-type sauce on it...not that it was bad, but I think another choice of sauce would have been better. The scalloped potatoes were delicious. I am pretty sure there was a vegetable too, but I can't remember what it was. Vegetables were so few and far between on this trip (with the obvious exception of french fries and other potatoes) that it is a wonder the lot of us didn't return home with scurvy. Isn't hyperbole allowed on these reports?

AB adds: I had the chili rubbed chicken with sofrito and goat cheese tamale, chayote salad, and cherry mojo, and UJ had the short ribs. To start, he had the same foie gras he enjoyed so much on his birthday meal at CG a few weeks ago. All of the food was uniformly excellent, as was the service.

The meal lasted much longer than we expected. ML was built a special dessert made up of huge chunks of fruit that the children both completely devoured. We saw Wishes from the roof and returned to the table, but we decided to skip dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter