CA Grill menu changes : (

Just called the CG wanted an answer.....

Quote from manager " People on the DDP can now get "Snake in the Grass"
as an entree."
Thats all I needed to know.Guess they are starting to gear up for 2008 :confused3

Ate at the CG 8/15, sushi was an appetizer, there are two sushi selections that aren't included, most expensive ones.

Just called the CG wanted an answer.....

as an entree."
Thats all I needed to know.Guess they are starting to gear up for 2008 :confused3

Snake in the Grass was not included on DDP at all before, so this is a positive change.

It sounds like the menu hasn't changed, except that sushi can be either appetizer or an entree - that's a good thing!

Hopefully my interpretation is correct.

Snake in the Grass was not included on DDP at all before, so this is a positive change.

It sounds like the menu hasn't changed, except that sushi can be either appetizer or an entree - that's a good thing!

We ate at the CG last August during free dining and I got the snake in the grass as my appetizer, I specifically remember this because my dh was embarassed when I took a picture of it. Maybe it depends on the server? :confused3 We are going to the CG again next month and I hope that the menu is the same as last year! Although last year they had a goat cheese cheesecake as one of the desserts and it was delicious, and I haven't seen it on the menu anymore :sad2: .

It is a good thing. After much thinking about it, I see the addition of sushi as a plus for the 2008 DDP. By dropping the app, you couldn't no longer have sushi in 2008. Now you have that option. The same full menu is there but with the additional sushi menu added.

For 2007 is can hurt because DDP apps are still included and sushi (I don't know if all) is now moved up to entrees. 2007 DDP participants loose that nice sushi app.

PREVIOUS MENU :
CALIFORNIA GRILL
DINNER
Contemporary Resort
Note: The menu changes to feature the freshest ingredients available seasonally.

Brick Oven Baked Flatbreads

Quadruple Cheese, Alfredo sauce, crispy garlic chips and basil chiffonade* $9.25

Cured Duck Breast with Soft Goat Cheese, Sweet Onions and Fig Essence $11.75

Grilled Chicken, Chipotle Crema, Caramelized Onions-Peppers, and Tomatillo Salsa $9.25

Roasted Portobello and Cremini Mushrooms with Red Onion Jam and Gorgonzola Cheese* $9.00

Sushi & Sashimi

Spicy Tuna Hand Roll $10.00

Sushi Sampler $11.75

"Peeky Toe" Crab California Roll with avocado and cucumber $17.00

Spicy Sensation - scallops, tuna, avocado, tobiko and fireball sauce $16.75

Sashimi Trio...Yellowfin Tuna, Salmon and Hamachi $14.50

Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter $22.75

Medusa Roll with wasabi cream and teriyaki drizzle $14.00

"Snake in the Grass" - Shrimp tempura with avocado, eel and cucumber $22.00

Yellowfin Tuna Three Ways - Poki, Tartar, and Tataki $18.75

First Course

Wild Mushroom Soup with porcini custard and chives* $8.25

Hearts of Romaine Salad with Green Goddess Dressing and sourdough croutons $8.25

Warm Castroville Artichoke stuffed with crab and gulf shrimp with Meyer lemon butter $11.50

Baby Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Creminis, Warm Smoked Bacon Vinaigrette and Soft Cooked Egg $9.25

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with Sun-dried Tomato Nectar, Shiitake Mushrooms and shaved beaufort* $10.00

Roasted Golden Beets and Pickled Red Beets with soft Goat Cheese, cherry vinaigrette, and Honey Pine Nuts* $9.25

Shrimp and Avocado Salad with Watercress, Water Chestnuts, and Pineapple-Candied Ginger Vinaigrette $13.25

Main Course

Copper River King Salmon with Warm Spring Vegetables, Salsa Verde, and Avocado Cream $33.00

Maryland Soft-shell Crabs with Aromatic Garlic Broth, Crispy Grit Cake, and Roasted Chile Aioli $29.00

Soft Cannellini Bean and Spinach Ravioli with Artichokes, Legumes, Camembert, and Herb Broth $19.75

14 ounce Grilled New York Strip with Organic Arugula, Marble Potatoes, and Wild Mushroom Butter $35.00

Halibut Steamed with Banana Leaf, Basmati Rice, Cucumber Salad, and Fragrant Hong Kong Vinaigrette $28.00

Oak-fired Beef Filet with Three Cheese Potato Gratin, Romano beans, and Tamarind Barbecue Sauce $34.50

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, and Zinfandel Glaze $21.75

Roasted Free-Range Chicken Breast with Pea-and-Carrot Risotto, curry-citrus broth $23.00

* Vegetarian Zone ... we will cook vegetarian for you!

Desserts

Mango Crème Brulee with petite mango salad and refreshing mango frappe $8.75

Honey-scented Sponge Cake with "Peaches and Cream" and Crunchy Toffee Candy $8.25

Rich Valrhona Chocolate Torte with Caramel Berries, Blackberry Ice Cream, and Hazelnut Florentine $9.50
Cheese Please! Nancy's Hudson Valley Camembert, Beaufort, Aged Cheddar Flan, and Parmesan Crisp 9.75
Bing Cherry Napoleon with Cherry Caramel, Vanilla Panna Cotta, Crispy Phyllo, and Amorena Cherry $10.25
Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake with Molten Center and White Chocolate Ice Cream $9.50
Purple Pluot Sorbet with Nectarine Soup, Honey-crisp Peaches, and Frozen Crème $6.75

Wines

House Wines and Sake

Mutsu-Otokoyama Sake $15.00
Macrostie Chardonnay '02 $7.75
Mason Sauvignon Blanc '01 $6.75
Kenwood White Zinfandel '02 $6.75
Honig Cabernet Sauvignon '01 $7.75
Roederer Estate "Brut" Sparkling M.V. $7.75
Ravenswood "Vintners Blend" Zinfandel '01 $6.75

I'd take this one with a grain of salt until it is confirmed by DISers returning to report about any possible changes. The Cali Grill menu on this site has been a little muddled for as long as I can recall (at least the couple months since we started planning again). That's one of the reasons I still refer back to Allears sometimes even though the WDWinfo menus are usually more up-to-date: the Allears menus are sometimes better formatted.

I also had Snake in the Grass as an appetizer last year on the DDP, so it has been included. I happen to enjoy a couple of other sushi more, so I didn't order that this year, so I can't confirm or deny it's exclusion. My personal experience is that I have never been told of any DDP exclusions by my server at CA Grill. I will be there on Sept 2 during Free Dining, and will be ordering sushi. I promise I'll report back my experience!:magnify:

Here's a picture I took of the menu on 8/18

47b7d602b3127cceb9be40e4b5dd00000026101AcsnDNq1bsV

So based on that menu (8/18), sushi is not listed as an entree and the cheese plate is not listed as an entree (presumably it is listed on the dessert menu?).

So it was much ado about nothing?? :confused3

Yesterday called the CG wanted an answer.....

as an entree."

I'm confused here....

I've been reading the sticky thread about what's included in the DDP and read several months ago that "Snake in the Grass" and "Yoshi's platter" were "reported" to not be included on the DDP as an appetizer. Why is everyone so surprised that it is being considered an entree for us folks? As far as I can see, we can still get the "Spicy Sensation" and other sushi as appetizers. I know it's not "fair" that the larger sushi dishes are now excluded, but it's not like sushi has been eliminated as an appetizer option altogether. Everyone who has called to inquire about the sushi seems to be getting answers about Snake and Yoshi's. There are more sushi options and they are still appetizers!!!! And if the cheese plate is now considered a dessert, why would this make a difference if it's still included on the DDP? So if you MUST have it, get it as dessert and share another dessert with your tablemate(s)! Am I missing something here (other than the "principle of the thing," that the appys are now considered entrees)?

There was confusion...much ado about nothing, apparently (and thankfully - we're looking forward to a little sushi as an appitizer, and something else for a wonderful entree!).

I emailed disney to ask about the sushi ...

"Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

In speaking with the restaurant, at this time, there is sushi on the
menu but not as an appetizer.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX"

I'm confused here....

I've been reading the sticky thread about what's included in the DDP and read several months ago that "Snake in the Grass" and "Yoshi's platter" were "reported" to not be included on the DDP as an appetizer. Why is everyone so surprised that it is being considered an entree for us folks? As far as I can see, we can still get the "Spicy Sensation" and other sushi as appetizers. I know it's not "fair" that the larger sushi dishes are now excluded, but it's not like sushi has been eliminated as an appetizer option altogether. Everyone who has called to inquire about the sushi seems to be getting answers about Snake and Yoshi's. There are more sushi options and they are still appetizers!!!! And if the cheese plate is now considered a dessert, why would this make a difference if it's still included on the DDP? So if you MUST have it, get it as dessert and share another dessert with your tablemate(s)! Am I missing something here (other than the "principle of the thing," that the appys are now considered entrees)?

i think it's more than fair personally to consider dishes that cost over $25 as entrees.

Fine with the cheese as a dessert but not so fine with it as an entree (that's what the menu the DIS put up on their menu database said although who knows if it's correct?). If it's an entree I just won't get it.

But I'm thinking about getting a flatbread appetizer and Yoshis as an entree, maybe I won't get overstuffed that way, that's plenty of food.

In speaking with the restaurant, at this time, there is sushi on the menu but not as an appetizer.

That is completely true. Look at the photograph of the menu from 8/18 in the post a few up from this one. It is under it's own separate section, not an appetizers section, and has been in all the previous menus posted before the one that started this thread showed up. What has been, though (and seem to still be according to those who've posted in this thread that they've eaten there since the supposed menu changes), is that you are allowed to choose from the sushi as what the DDP terms an "appetizer", just like you can choose a flatbread from the "Flatbreads" section as an appetizer, though it's not specifically called "Appetizers".

Many of the other menus at the WDW do similar things, where, say, the menu lists a "Soups and Salads" section, or something like that, and an "Appetizer" section, but you're allowed to choose from those as a DDP "appetizer".

I don't think that the signature restaurants should be as concerned about making as many cutbacks on their menu as the 1 TS restaurants,especially CG. My last visit to CG in 2005 I had their pork tenderloin which was very good but was $24.99 in 2005. There are more expensive entrees at 1 TS restaurants. I know the pork tenderloin is a popular signature dish and how many people are using 2 TS to order it on DDP. They aren't losing money on those people. When I go back to WDW in 12/07 I will go back to CG and pay OOP and eat at Le Cellier twice with the credits. If Narcoose's decides to remove the lobster from the dining plan I will cancel my ADR there and I am sure many other people will also cancel there ADR's there. The lobster at Narcoose's is a special treat that is worthy of being a 2 TS but if you remove that from the equation there is better food at WDW. As far as I am concerned if you are a signature restaurant you better give me a really good meal.:)

:sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

I just saw the new updated menu on this site and they had all the sushi as an entree . I hope it changes back after the free dining period.

I'm really confused by this statement. :confused3 I ate at CG on the DDP just last Saturday (8/25) and we were told that all the sushi counted as an appetizer with two exceptions - I can't remember the exceptions, but I remember that both were priced above $20. We were told that we could order those two exceptions as an entree. My DH got the California roll ($17) for an appetizer and then the filet for an entree, with no problems at all.

Ok, so I've read more of the thread now and understand better.

We were explicitly told that anything above the "main course" line would be counted as an appetizer, with the exception of the two most expensive sushi items. So, even if something is called a first course or something else, if it isn't a main course it doesn't count as the entree (with the two exceptions noted above).

So is there any confirmation that the 5 cheese platter is gone as an appetizer?

I had it in May and it was so nice that DH and I made reservations based on it for this Sept.

There is no way I want it as an entree but I do want it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter