CA Coast & Disneyland! Pics & Video - Update 9/18- Pg. 12 #177 - The End!

Awesome trip report! I can't wait to go back next year. We always stay at the Candy Cane too. This year we're doing an Adventure by Disney (can't wait) but I will really miss Disneyland too. Your report is just great! Thank you for including so many pics. I love it!

Great trip report.

The view from the Getty is quite nice isn't? But to be honest, the best time to go is during winter after a huge storm.

The rain just washes the air clean and you can see the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains & downtonw to the east, Palos Verdes Peninsula to the south, and Santa Monica all the way to Catalina Island to the west. It's just spectacular.

Hey Spartangirl, great pics as usual! :thumbsup2 I'm glad you were able to go to the Getty Museum; it's one of my favorite places out here in LA. If by chance you're out here, again, you should really check out the Getty Villa in Malibu as well; it's a recreation of an ancient Greek estate. It's free, but you do have to make an appointment in advance.

Anyways, can't wait to hear more about Disneyland! :woohoo:

Hi Angrypenguin! :wave2:

Thanks for the compliment about my pics! :flower3: We had debated whether or not to go to the Getty Museum and were so happy that we went. It definitely lived up to the hype! The Getty Villa in Malibu sounds great! I'll have to put that on our list for next time...

There is much more to come on Disneyland! :banana:

Awesome trip report! I can't wait to go back next year. We always stay at the Candy Cane too. This year we're doing an Adventure by Disney (can't wait) but I will really miss Disneyland too. Your report is just great! Thank you for including so many pics. I love it!

Hello and :welcome: to my TR! I'm glad you're enjoying it!!! And...thank you so much for the compliments about my report! :thanks: It makes it so much more worthwhile to write when I have readers!!!

The Candy Cane Inn was fantastic.....we'll be sure to stay there again in the future! Oooohhhh....Adventures by Disney....which destination did you choose? There are so many good choices!

Great trip report.

The view from the Getty is quite nice isn't? But to be honest, the best time to go is during winter after a huge storm.

The rain just washes the air clean and you can see the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains & downtonw to the east, Palos Verdes Peninsula to the south, and Santa Monica all the way to Catalina Island to the west. It's just spectacular.

Welcome to my trip report!!! Glad to have you aboard! :goodvibes Thanks for the compliment about my report! :flower3:

The view from the Getty was amazing! But, I'm thinking that we're going to have to make a trip in the winter now....:rolleyes:

Disneyland Continued...

We continued our jouney through Fantasyland...we were amazed at all of the little details and the amount of different rides that we didn't have at WDW.

We came across Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

California418.jpg

When you wish upon a star...your dreams come true! I think we boarded this ride within 5 minutes. It was a cute ride and quite fun since it was new to us. We enjoyed seeing the streets of Geppetto's village, Pleasure Island, and the belly of Monstro the whale.

We were a bit hungry and decided to make a stop at the Village Haus Restaurant since it was so close. It had the normal park fare, but it tasted great in our empty bellies.

After lunch, we continued walking and I snapped a few pics along the way.

We saw the Mad Tea Party, but decided not to ride since we didn't think it would be a good combo right after eating. ;)

California420.jpg

As we continued our journey, we passed the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. We really wanted to stop, but the 2 1/2 hour wait time encouraged us to keep walking. Looking back, we seemed to think that EVERYBODY was in line for this ride during our time in the parks.........that was fine with us because all of the other lines were short! :)

I had to take a picture of the monorail!!!

California421.jpg

We exited Fantasyland and found ourselves heading into Tomorrowland. I love the retro feel of this land!

The Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters had a short line.....maybe 10 minutes. So, that's where we were headed!

California422.jpg

We LOVE this ride! And...it seemed to be a little better in DL because you can actually lift the blasters from their holsters and aim them in any direction. In WDW the blasters are mounted on the Space Cruisers. This usually causes Chris and I to battle over the joystick to control the direction we are firing in. :rotfl: Anyhow, we had a blast and Chris beat my score, but not by much!

California419.jpg

Up next, we headed to Space Mountain. We were ready to use our Fastpasses.

California423.jpg

This ride did not disappoint! We liked being able to sit next to each other, rather than one in front of the other like at WDW. The ride was smooth, dark, and fast! So much fun!!! :woohoo:

Next, we headed over to Adventureland. Our first stop was Indy, to grab some Fastpasses. Then, we hiked back to the Jungle Cruise, where we knew the wait was only 5 minutes.

California424.jpg

Here we traveled on the world's most exotic rivers to see the ancient ruins and animals! The cruise was pretty much the same as WDW's version. Nonetheless, we still enjoyed the ride and the corny jokes.

We noticed the Tiki Juice Bar shortly after exiting the Jungle Cruise. Dole Whips were next on the agenda! We couldn't pass them up since they are one of our favorite treats!!!

Dole Whips in hand, we headed to New Orleans Square. This is where we came across one of my favorite rides, Pirates of the Caribbean.

California425.jpg

DL's version is hands-down better than WDW's. We liked going through the Blue Bayou Restaurant and the Pirate's Lair. The ride was much longer than WDW's version and even had an extra drop!!!

We loved New Orleans Square!!! It brought back our memories of Bourbon Street and staying in the French Quarter in Louisiana.

California428.jpg

We found the infamous door to Club 33. This is definitely on our list of "to-dos" for the future!!!

California427.jpg

As we walked, we stopped to glance at the pirate ship! That was a neat addition to the park. At WDW, we only have the Riverboat.

California432.jpg

Our next stop was the Haunted Mansion.

California433.jpg

The theming was fabulous and the special effects were awesome!!! We loved the "Bride in the Attic" scene. It sure was creepy! I hope they eventually revamp WDW's version to be more like the one at DL.

More to come on our day at Disneyland!!! - Post #105

Disneyland Continued...

The time passed quickly and we realized it was time for our Indiana Jones Adventure.

California429.jpg

WE LOVED THIS RIDE!!! The theming was spectacular and we liked all of the little details that were put into the ride. By the way, for those of you who have dared, Chris "pulled the rope!" :laughing:

California430.jpg

After quite the experience, we decided to head back to the Candy Cane Inn for a short break. It was pretty hot outside and we wanted to cool off by taking a short swim. We did just that!

After a couple of hours, and feeling refreshed, we headed back to the park. As we walked in, we noticed the Walt Disney Theatre on our right. It caught our attention and we decided to check it out.

California434.jpg

We watched a film titled, "Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years." We really enjoyed it! Steve Martin took us on a tour through the first 50 years of Disneyland. Donald Duck was his side-kick!!! It was fun to see all of the old photos and footage, and we learned that Steve Martin used to work at DL in a magic shop when he was younger.

After the film, we explored some of the shops along Main Street.

California435.jpg

It was nice to "take it easy" in the parks. I didn't think I would survive, being in non-commando mode, but I really was enjoying myself. :lmao: As we walked, we stopped to take in the little details of the park.

California436.jpg

We found ourselves in Tomorrowland and decided to take a short break at the Tomorrowland Terrace. We split a sandwich and listened to "Elvis" and his band.

California437.jpg

Although the entertainment was nice, we were ready to continue with the rest of the park! We hiked all the way over to Frontierland because we wanted to ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

California438.jpg

The wait time said, "0 minutes." :banana: We couldn't believe our luck! We happily got right on and had so much fun with all the twists and turns.

Now, what to do next? We really wanted to see Fantasmic!, but we were cutting it a bit close on time. We decided to try anyway since we were already in Frontierland. It was 8:20 and the first show was at 9:00 p.m. We started to walk toward the Rivers of America and noticed the huge crowds. We made our way until we found a space that we were able to squeeze into. I knew that I wouldn't be able to get any great pictures, since I had quite a few people in front of me. However, I thought Chris would have a chance at videotaping it since he is so tall! Luckily, I was right on that!

The show was amazing! We loved the Peter Pan & Captain Hook battle on the Pirate ship. That scene is exclusive to DL's version. Here is a short clip from the battle!

Here is a scene from the last part of Fantasmic!, with Sorcerer Mickey! Enjoy!!!

Overall, we loved the show! It was great being so close to the action! The only downside was the lack of seating. For that part, we do prefer WDW's stadium seating.

We decided that we would try to find a spot to view the "Remember...Dreams Come True" Fireworks. We knew we had to hurry since they began at 9:25 p.m. At the front of the castle, we saw crowds, and more crowds! Wow!!! :scared1: It sure was packed, but by this point in time, we were determined to see the show. Again, we found a place to squeeze in and within a couple of minutes, the show began.

This has got to be the BEST fireworks show that we've ever seen! We absolutely LOVED it. And, I'm a Tink fan, so I was thrilled to see her flying around the castle.

Here is a video clip from the end of the fireworks....it makes me teary-eyed everytime I watch it!

As the crowds moved and started to thin out, we walked closer to the castle to get a couple of photos.

California440.jpg

California441.jpg

We took our time walking back on Main Street toward the exit and stopped to explore a few stores.

Before leaving, we glanced up to see that "the light was left on for Walt."

California443.jpg

We smiled at each other, knowing that we had a perfect ending to our perfect night. We happily headed back to the Candy Cane Inn and prepared to dream about our magical day at Disneyland.

Up Next: California Adventure! - Post #113

Disneyland Continued...
The Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters had a short line.....maybe 10 minutes. So, that's where we were headed!

California422.jpg

We LOVE this ride! And...it seemed to be a little better in DL because you can actually lift the blasters from their holsters and aim them in any direction. In WDW the blasters are mounted on the Space Cruisers. This usually causes Chris and I to battle over the joystick to control the direction we are firing in. :rotfl: Anyhow, we had a blast and Chris beat my score, but not by much!

Sounds like a blast!! We are WDW vets and know all of the secret spots to hit for big points, but somehow I always end up last. This trip, I'm playing it sneaky as I have been researching the DL attraction to find the super spots!! My family will never know what hit them :cool1:

Our next stop was the Haunted Mansion.

California433.jpg

The theming was fabulous and the special effects were awesome!!! We loved the "Bride in the Attic" scene. It sure was creepy! I hope they eventually revamp WDW's version to be more like the one at DL.

Well it looks like you are going to get your wish!!! :wizard: The HM is down for rehab right now at WDW and the Mickey Monitor states they will be putting some of the DL upgrades into the WDW version.:yay:

LOVED the updates! :cool1: I can't wait for our trip next summer!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :goodvibes

How did you take these pictures? The castle and both of you look so neat!

First of all, welcome to my TR and thanks for the compliment!!! :flower3: I actually positioned a mini-tripod on a trash can. :laughing: Rather than using the self-timer, I used my mini-remote to snap the picture of us. I played around with the night settings, and used the two of us as the focal point...therefore, blurring out the castle and background. I tend to "play around" with the different settings on my camera and take lots of pictures until I get the effect that I want! :)

Sounds like a blast!! We are WDW vets and know all of the secret spots to hit for big points, but somehow I always end up last. This trip, I'm playing it sneaky as I have been researching the DL attraction to find the super spots!! My family will never know what hit them :cool1:

Well it looks like you are going to get your wish!!! :wizard: The HM is down for rehab right now at WDW and the Mickey Monitor states they will be putting some of the DL upgrades into the WDW version.:yay:

One time, I scored 999,999 at WDW and beat Chris........he was pretty amazed!!! I never thought to research the secret spots for DL. Good luck!!! You must be pumped.......you leave so soon!!! :banana:

Thank you for the info. about the HM!!! :woohoo: I must have missed it somehow........I am so excited!!! We're headed back to the world in December........maybe it will be done by then!

Thank you for the info. about the HM!!! :woohoo: I must have missed it somehow........I am so excited!!! We're headed back to the world in December........maybe it will be done by then!

You are in luck again!! The HM is scheduled to repon on 9/13!!!:maleficen

loved the tr . i was excited to see pictures of DL we are getting ready for our 1st family trip in oct... can't wait for more..

You are in luck again!! The HM is scheduled to repon on 9/13!!!:maleficen

You just made my day!!! :banana:

loved the tr . i was excited to see pictures of DL we are getting ready for our 1st family trip in oct... can't wait for more..

Glad you are still enjoying my report!!! :goodvibes

Your family trip is going to be a blast!!! I loved DL and I'm hoping to get back sooner than later! ;)

:) TO ALL MY READERS: I'm going to try to get one more update in before my vacay. Chris and I leave for Washington D.C. this weekend! :yay: We'll be gone for a week, but I promise to finish the report upon my return!!!

California Adventure

We decided to sleep in a little today, seeing as though we didn't have much opportunity for that earlier in the trip. Plus, we wanted to go to California Adventure and it didn't open until 10 a.m. We excitedly got out of bed around 8:30 a.m., showered, and headed down to check out the free continental breakfast at the Candy Cane Inn. We each grabbed a bagel with cream cheese, a piece of fruit, and a coffee. Not bad, considering the fact that we didn't have to go anywhere to buy a breakfast.

After eating, we started to head toward the parks........however, we noticed the time and decided to jump on the CCI shuttle since it was going to be departing in the next 2 minutes. We made it to the parks in record time and got in line for California Adventure.

We got our tickets scanned, entered the park, and noticed this large sign on our lefthand side.

California444.jpg

In front of us we saw a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge......we felt like we were back in San Francisco! :goodvibes

California445.jpg

Even further ahead of us, we found a huge, metallic sun!

California446.jpg

This park seemed to remind us of MGM at WDW. We definitely liked the vibe here! We decided to head left, into "Hollywood."

California447.jpg

Our first stop was Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!

California448.jpg

We enjoyed the adventure through Monstropolis!!! This was a new ride for us and we thought it was cute.

As we exited the ride, look who we ran into....how perfect!!! :thumbsup2

California456.jpg

We continued walking through the Hollywood Pictures Backlot and had fun playing around...

California449.jpg

Upon reaching the Hyperion Theater, home of Aladdin, we noticed that there were no shows playing today......it just meant that we would have to make a point to come back on our next park day! This was definitely a show that we didn't want to miss!!!

Up in front of us was this!!!

California451.jpg

I suddenly became all giddy......the Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides!

California452.jpg

I love the hotel lobby.......the details are fantastic!

California453.jpg

Chris and I enjoyed "our stay" at the hotel! The ride was fun......it had a few different effects than WDW's version. However, we both agreed that we preferred the ride at WDW......we love the element of surprise with the different drop sequences.

California Adventure continued... - Post #114

California Adventure continued...

After the thrill of riding the Tower of Terror, we decided to take it easy. So, we headed to the Animation Academy.

California457.jpg

Now let me just tell you, we LOVED this place! There was so much to do!

We started off in the Sorcerer's Workshop...

California458.jpg

In here, we had a chance to learn about what Disney character we were most like. I went first. I sat down and smiled to have my picture taken in the mirror in front of me. Next, I had to answer a few multiple choice questions about myself.

After providing my responses, here is the answer that I received...

"You...
are confident
logical
love adventure
have an artistic side.

You are most like:

Jane, from Tarzan"

Chris immediately started laughing.....he said, "You must like wild men!" :rotfl:

He was up next! To see who he was most like, click on the video below! :)

We definitely had fun in the Sorcerer's Workshop and got a good laugh out of it!

Next, we headed to the Animation Academy...

California459.jpg

Here we learned how to draw Mickey!!! :mickeyjum

These are our sketches...

California460.jpg

California461.jpg

After completing our drawings, we found out that it was just about time for Turtle Talk with Crush to begin...

California462.jpg

Here is a short video clip from our show...

As usual, the show was very funny and cute! I love how Crush interacts with the kids!!!

We decided that we should make use of Fastpass, so we headed over to Soarin' to get our first one for the day!

With Fastpasses in hand, we came across these two characters from one of our favorite Disney movies, Cars!

California463.jpg

Here's Lightning McQueen!!!

California466.jpg

And here's Mater!!!

California465.jpg

Chris had fun trying things on in a little store next to the characters...

California467.jpg

Up Next: Paradise Pier - Post #123

Spartangirl,
Do you use Tour Guide Mike when you go to WDW? It would appeal to your planning side and the forums there are a ton of fun!!! Your TR has been wonderful!

We're going to Disneyland!!!
California408.jpg

This ride was fun, but very bumpy! The yeti is so funny looking compared to the one in Expedition Everest at WDW.....but then again, this is one of the original rides!

We continued walking until we reached the Storybook Land Canal Boats. This looked like a cute ride, so we joined the line. Little did we know what we were about to encounter......

California410.jpg

As we hopped on our boat, I got my camera ready for some shots, and Chris held on to the video camera. We positioned ourselves at the front of the boat, sitting across from each other. We smiled at each other, knowing that we would be able to get some great shots since we had prime seats.

A huge family proceeded to join us on the boat.....no problem, right? There were about 4-5 adults, and the rest were children. Now, being a teacher, I love children......so, I didn't think twice about anything that was happening. Ryn, our guide, mentioned that two of the children could sit up in front of the boat......Chris and I gladly helped them find their seats.

We started our tour and headed for the whale's mouth. This is when everything went from good to BAD!!! One of the children began throwing an absolute tantrum because he was not able to sit at the front of the boat. He was screaming, kicking, and standing up on the boat. Ryn, our guide, had to repeatedly tell him to sit down, and was looking for support from his parents. They were laughing about the situation, and not doing much. The boy's crying set off a couple more children in the boat. Soon, we had one throwing a tantrum, and two SCREAMERS..........and no parents helping the situation. This went on for the ENTIRE ride......I whispered to Chris that this was the WORST experience that I've EVER had on a ride. We didn't hear any of the commentary due to the screaming, and couldn't enjoy the sights because we were getting kicked.

As we were exiting the boat, Ryn pulled us aside and profusely apologized. We smiled at her and told her that we knew it wasn't her fault. She then asked if we wanted to ride in her boat again so that we could ENJOY the experience. We agreed and reboarded. This time around was completely different. We had a couple of nice families on board with us and we thought it was a cute ride.

California411.jpg

California412.jpg

Upon exiting, we thanked Ryn for the "Disney Magic" that she had given us. We also jotted ourselves a note to stop at guest relations to rave about the treatment that we received from Ryn. We thought it would be appropriate to give her special acknowledgment, seeing as though she had already made our day more magical. pixiedust:

We continued on and came to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I remembered this ride from my childhood and was excited to ride it again.......it was one of my favorites!!!

California414.jpg

The wait was only 10 minutes.....another good sign!!! We were almost to the front when we heard...."This ride is experiencing technical difficulties...etc." Next thing we knew, the lights came on and the ride stopped. We looked at each other and rolled our eyes. What could we do? This seemed to be the pattern for the day....

Many people started to leave the line......we debated, but ended up staying. I snapped a picture of the "broke-down" ride.

California415.jpg

Within 5 minutes, the ride was back up to par. Whew! We breathed a sigh of relief and quickly boarded our car. It was as good and as fun as I remembered......Chris loved it too!!!

Up Next: Disneyland Continued... - Post #104

Great report SpartanGirl. :thumbsup2

- Amazing pics.
- I've never done the Getty....I need to do it.
- The Matterhorn, StorybookLand Canal Ride & Toadie are favorite "old school" rides of mine.
- But you're right, the Matterhorn is bumpy.
- I'm glad you re-boarded Storybookland...it's so nicely done.
- Toadie came thru for you.:woohoo: So what did DBF think about the judges sentence? :lmao:

And a couple of comments:

- I love/love/love the pictures. Especially the coast pictures.
- I told you...you should have given the Coast 2 days. :)
- Why wouldn't you let DBF play Pebble??? It was only $475!!

I'm catching up....great job. :yay:

hound - popcorn::

Subbin in, Spartangirl. I love your TR! Your pics are incredible! The bird in Yosemite looks 3D and the light hitting the bridge and some of the cliffs looks professional - like a magazine! We took the drive from Anaheim to Santa Cruz and then home to Oregon a couple of years ago - loved Monterey, but it was really cold! DL is our stopping ground a couple of times a year - it's great to see it through a "WDWer" view! Can't wait for the rest! Hope you had a great trip to DC:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter